Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Capn Beeb posted:

Speaking of ENB stuff, I've nearly got mine dialed in. However, two bugs:

1) Some lights come out like this:

Is this added in by a mod? If so I think it's an issue with the mod and not ENB.

Capn Beeb posted:

2) Bright lights do weird things to hair:

Any ideas on what to fiddle with?

Yeah, overly strong lights will gently caress with the color of things inside them. You're going to want to be changing LightingIntensityDay/Night, and LightingCurveDay/Night in enbseries.ini. I don't think there's really a happy solution to keeping really colorful lights in the .ini.

However, you should also be able to modify enbeffect.fx

The first section of it should look a little bit like this:

code:
//post processing mode. Change value (could be 1, 2, 3, 4). Every mode have own internal parameters, look below
#ifndef POSTPROCESS
 #define POSTPROCESS	2
#endif

//use original game processing first, then mine
//#define APPLYGAMECOLORCORRECTION

//use original game processing only, with vanilla bloom
//#define ENB_FLIPTECHNIQUE

//+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
//internal parameters, can be modified
//+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
//float3	EColorFilter=float3(1.0, 0.9, 0.9);

//modify these values to tweak various color processing
//POSTPROCESS 1
float	EAdaptationMinV1=0.01;
float	EAdaptationMaxV1=0.07;
float	EContrastV1=0.95;
float	EColorSaturationV1=1.0;
float	EToneMappingCurveV1=6.0;

//POSTPROCESS 2
//float	EBrightnessV2=2.3;
float	EAdaptationMinV2=0.05;
float	EAdaptationMaxV2=0.125;
float	EToneMappingCurveV2=8.0;
float	EIntensityContrastV2=1.655;
float	EColorSaturationV2=1.3;
float	EToneMappingOversaturationV2=160.0;

//POSTPROCESS 3
float	EAdaptationMinV3=0.05;
float	EAdaptationMaxV3=0.125;
float	EToneMappingCurveV3=4.0;
float	EToneMappingOversaturationV3=60.0;

//POSTPROCESS 4
float	EAdaptationMinV4=0.2;
float	EAdaptationMaxV4=0.125;
float	EBrightnessCurveV4=0.7;
float	EBrightnessMultiplierV4=0.45;
float	EBrightnessToneMappingCurveV4=0.5;
That's the post processing mode, and it's actually a lot more powerful than anything the enbseries.ini has for color correction. You can try messing around with that. I've found that the best results are with postprocess 2. It's been a long time since I was poking around in mine, so I can't remember what the variables are all for. If I remember right, you also need to restart the game each time you want to adjust one of these variables.

So you could try turning up the saturation in enbeffect.fx and turning down the lighting intensity in enbseries.ini and seeing if that helps out with your beard problems, while still keeping the more colorful lights.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Holy poo poo Arenovalis I take a break from NV for a few months, and in the mean time you release the CAWs, the Pancor, the Unica 6 and so much more! Thank you so much for sharing your work.

In an indirect way it was your modelling tutorials that lead to my hiatus. I spent 2 weeks of summer straight pretty much doing nothing but trying trying to put something together in 3ds Max. Initially I just wanted to do some simple texture work, but the lovely model and a bit of hubris convinced me to take matters into my own hands. To disastrous unfinished consequences (I can't even remember how to move the camera around the axis you want anymore). I got severely burnt out. I should've started with something simpler (I was trying to recreate the classic laser pistol which barely had a proper reference). Your tutorials were great (like really really good), I just bit off much more than I could chew (and also lack any modelling talent).

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 18, 2013

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
The techniques he teaches are useful for a variety of different modeling purposes. If you ever decide to jump in by starting small, do things like bats, hockey sticks, croquet mallets, swords, etc. These are relatively simple shapes that the same techniques he teaches can be applied to and then you feel like you're making progress and gaining experience.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Naky posted:

The techniques he teaches are useful for a variety of different modeling purposes. If you ever decide to jump in by starting small, do things like bats, hockey sticks, croquet mallets, swords, etc. These are relatively simple shapes that the same techniques he teaches can be applied to and then you feel like you're making progress and gaining experience.

Oh I know I was being an idiot. I just happen to be very impatient and stubborn. Even if I absolutely needed to start off with a gun, I should have chosen something geometrically simple that had actual reference shots.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Naky posted:

2.5 FOMM (it will take a long time, you think it's frozen but it's not, just walk away for a bit) + latest 2.9 WIP afterwards. Or you can get the 2.5 manual and extract it yourself manually if you're too paranoid about FOMM hanging extracting the entire shebang.

Thanks, this fixed it instantly, though I had to use the second to latest on the site. Anyone know of any good explosive or shotgun tweaks, grenades could use a boost and the shotgun spread is horrible. I've been going off the OP for good major mods but is there anything in the past 100 pages that has been mentioned that should go up there?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Giggily posted:

I'm using frankenstein ENB files, a modified version of Nevada Skies, Vurt's Wasteland Flora Overhaul, NMC/Poco Bueno textures, Mojave Nights, Interior Lighting Overhaul, and a few .ini tweaks to make the grass denser. I'm probably forgetting something on that list, but whatever.

With just regular Nevada Skies/Interior Lighting Overhaul your game should look pretty similar if you use these ENB files. http://filesmelt.com/dl/ENB_stuff1.7z

e: Woops, uploaded a hosed up enbseries.ini. Reuploaded everything with one that I remembered to save.

Using the stuff you uploaded, it looks great indoors but outdoors the sand is an odd pink color. However, when I bring up the pip-boy, it all looks "right." The moment I put it away, it goes back to pink sand. Any idea what could be wrong?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Chronojam posted:

Using the stuff you uploaded, it looks great indoors but outdoors the sand is an odd pink color. However, when I bring up the pip-boy, it all looks "right." The moment I put it away, it goes back to pink sand. Any idea what could be wrong?

Nope, not a clue. What weather mod/textures are you using? That might be contributing to it.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
So I've seen armour from Metro 2033 in game, is there a mod that adds the weapons?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Rabhadh posted:

So I've seen armour from Metro 2033 in game, is there a mod that adds the weapons?

Sorta. There was a mod that kinda did it on VGU but it was pretty lovely and I didn't bother with them myself. Plus half of them won't animate right anyway.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Giggily posted:

Is this added in by a mod? If so I think it's an issue with the mod and not ENB.

Might be. I also had some vanilla lights that were blue, but fiddling with curve values fixed that.

Giggily posted:

Yeah, overly strong lights will gently caress with the color of things inside them. You're going to want to be changing LightingIntensityDay/Night, and LightingCurveDay/Night in enbseries.ini. I don't think there's really a happy solution to keeping really colorful lights in the .ini
<code>

Interesting. What's throwing me is it only does that to hair. Like the shinyness of it is somehow being targeted. A black non-hair anything for example doesn't turn white.

E:

Yeah, it really seems to hit shiny things more than anything.

That's a Sunset Sarsaparilla, not some Nuka drink :catdrugs:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 18, 2013

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

How effective are those bug fix mods? Things like this seem to keep happening to me:

As cool as Ranger Andy is I don't need two of him :)

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I don't see anything wrong with that. :3:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Giggily posted:

Nope, not a clue. What weather mod/textures are you using? That might be contributing to it.

That was it, I forgot I had Western Sky going. Much better now!

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

"How am I gonna stop some big, mean motherhubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer? Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun." :clint:

I don't see a problem here, myself.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Question about CCO-

I took the Determined trait on a new character which gives 15 DT but all chems including stimpacks have no effect on me. The 1.5 .pdf says that pretty much every chem in the game won't work, but I used Coyote Tobacco and saw that my perception and agility increased on my stats page and the chem was listed under active effects. Was it actually working or was the UI just saying it did?

Also, does Determined stop you from becoming addicted to alcohol? I've used maybe 10 bottles of whisky and always remember getting addicted at like my 4th or 5th on previous characters.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Witchfinder General posted:

Question about CCO-

I took the Determined trait on a new character which gives 15 DT but all chems including stimpacks have no effect on me. The 1.5 .pdf says that pretty much every chem in the game won't work, but I used Coyote Tobacco and saw that my perception and agility increased on my stats page and the chem was listed under active effects. Was it actually working or was the UI just saying it did?

Also, does Determined stop you from becoming addicted to alcohol? I've used maybe 10 bottles of whisky and always remember getting addicted at like my 4th or 5th on previous characters.

I just installed CCO about 15 minutes ago so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but if I remember correctly the readme said something how herbs still effect you even if you take that trait, so healing powder would work on you. Maybe that counts as a herb as well?

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

0lives posted:

I just installed CCO about 15 minutes ago so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but if I remember correctly the readme said something how herbs still effect you even if you take that trait, so healing powder would work on you. Maybe that counts as a herb as well?
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but the pdf lists tobacco as one of the ineffective chems.

edit: specifically "Tobacco," which I assume is Coyote Tobacco, unless I'm unaware of some regular tobbaco item in the game?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVQwI5jdxOA

The dynamic shadows that were added in this update make this game look fantastic. Also I really need to figure out a way to make it so early morning isn't brighter than mid morning.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Douche Bag posted:

How effective are those bug fix mods? Things like this seem to keep happening to me:
Not at all.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Giggily posted:

The dynamic shadows that were added in this update make this game look fantastic. Also I really need to figure out a way to make it so early morning isn't brighter than mid morning.

Yeah I've got that going too. 6-7, AM or PM, is super blown out for some reason. So I got that to figure out, why hair is so glossy, and why some lights are blown out and look blue but emit proper colored light.

Having a GUI to fiddle with helps, but I'm still left scratching my head sometimes. :downs:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Giggily posted:

Off-topic, was the music Philip Glass? It sounds like him, but I don't recognize the piece.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Smol posted:

Off-topic, was the music Philip Glass? It sounds like him, but I don't recognize the piece.

Pruit Igoe from Koyaanisqatsi. I can't see a video of time lapse landscapes and not think of it anymore.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Giggily posted:

Pruit Igoe from Koyaanisqatsi. I can't see a video of time lapse landscapes and not think of it anymore.

Awesome, thanks!

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Question about CCO-

Something must be conflicting with CCO to override the changes to Coyote Tobacco, then. I just popped open the CP module in the GECK and made sure of it, and you cannot be affected by tobacco when you have the Determined trait.

As for alcohol, CCO doesn't touch it. No changes are made to any of the forms of alcohol. Keep in mind that most alcohol in New Vegas has a low 10% addiction chance, except for beer and wine which have only a 5% chance, and Dixon's Whiskey, which has a staggeringly high 50% chance. It's entirely possible that you've just been lucky so far.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any suggestions for why Gtab's ammo mod might have issues with Arenovalis' Pancor? Shooting with the pancor crashes the game. Without Gtab's mod loaded it works fine. I did use the updated esp file for the pancor. I wanted to try comparing the two with FNVE but I frankly don't know what I'd be looking for.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

It's pretty crazy how much of a difference textures can make for a facial model! Messing around with the texture (pretty much copy/pasting a raider's dirt texture onto the face and then changing the brightness/saturation) of Head06 by Police Automaton from awhile back made it go from this:

to this:

I can't seem to quite get the ears to really match up to the rest of the head but so far I think it's a significant improvement. Just adding that dirt seems to create an illusion of texture or something like that. Maybe I'm just dumb and it looks like poo poo but I figure I'd ask if there was a way to kinda get that same kinda look without all the dirt? I really don't ever see the old Gamebyro renderer puttin' out that Skyrim skin texture and this is the closest I've been able to see it done.

Also, bonus picture showing off some cool shadow effect:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

So what's the performance hit like with those shadows?

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Have to post load order later, but anyone know why or an easy fix for Villified/Hated Factions not going hostile? All things are working (Legionary hit squads spawn and attack, and having Boone with me will make Legion hostile). But otherwise Poweder Gangers and Legion stay neutral when I approach.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

Arenovalis posted:

Released my own ENB preset since I couldn't find one to my liking.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/49344/

Probably not for everyone's tastes but I like my poo poo vibrant and bluish.

How did you manage to get such a "sharp", non-washed out and blurry look? It's like the difference between vanilla and using the FXAA injector.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Sweetling posted:

How did you manage to get such a "sharp", non-washed out and blurry look? It's like the difference between vanilla and using the FXAA injector.

You can turn bloom and DOF off by editing your enbseries.ini.

code:
[EFFECT]
UseOriginalPostProcessing=false
UseOriginalObjectsProcessing=false
EnableBloom=false
EnableAdaptation=true
EnableAmbientOcclusion=true
EnableDepthOfField=false
EnableSunRays=true
EnableDetailedShadow=true
Just replace the EFFECT section with this. Alternatively deleting enbeffectprepass.fx and enbbloom.fx (I think), if you have them, should fix the problem.

Smol posted:

So what's the performance hit like with those shadows?

It's almost nonexistent. I take a hit from having ENB enabled outdoors, but my performance is about the same if I have shadows on or off. The majority of my FPS loss comes from being in an area where grass is unusually thick, and its like that regardless of whether ENB is turned on or off. I can't go by Camp Golf without my FPS diving because the grass gets incredibly thick. It looks nice, though.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 19, 2013

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
Two quick questions, sorry if they've been asked.

1.) Can A Tale Of Two Wastelands be run with other mods, e.g. Project Nevada? I saw some people discussing TOTW a few pages back but this wasn't explicitly mentioned. (Also does the mod add any kind of DT to Capital Wasteland creatures?)

2.) I don't know much about FXAA injectors; all I ever did was use "FNV Enhanced Shaders" over at Nexus, but now (or perhaps this was always true and I didn't notice it) when I run FNV4GB.exe it doesn't seem to use the enhanced shaders (no enbseries message on launch, no effect in-game, etc). Is this a known issue with a simple solution or should I just quit being lazy and figure it out?

Stanman
Sep 3, 2007
My name is heavy weapons guy

a slim spar posted:

Two quick questions, sorry if they've been asked.

1.) Can A Tale Of Two Wastelands be run with other mods, e.g. Project Nevada?

2.) I don't know much about FXAA injectors; all I ever did was use "FNV Enhanced Shaders" over at Nexus, but now (or perhaps this was always true and I didn't notice it) when I run FNV4GB.exe it doesn't seem to use the enhanced shaders

Tale of two wastelands will run with other mods just fine. I have Project Nevada, CCO, FOOK and countless other mods that end up being pretty content heavy and they do effect the Capital Wasteland. Most of anything that's on a "leveled" list carries (guns, random encounter creatures) over to the other wasteland with little bugging. Actually, there was a time I got a special encounter (three ghouls fighting random creatures that appreciate your help and pay you back with water and food) in the Mojave that I remember was specifically in fallout 3. Kinda cool side effect if you ask me. Does it ADD any DT? Yes, at least CCO and PN do. At level 20, behemoths and super mutant's in DC's inner city were difficult to kill, requiring to use most if not all my extra AP ammo for every gun I had. Couple this with working increased spawns and you have a challenge ahead of you.

As for the AA injectors, are you using the FXAA tool and the ENB-Series? One or the other? I use just the FXAA tool, combined with Nexus Mod manager's custom launcher for FNV4GB. I had that problem before, using a custom launch option helped (go to settings in NMM and look for the custom launch bar, find your FNV4GB and target it. Mine looks like this: c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\FNV4GB.exe). This solves all my problems related to not getting my settings carried over from the tools outside the game. I think it has something to do with the fact that FNV4GB on it's own doesn't launch the game through it's normal procedure and bypasses something important.

Hope this helped.

Stanman fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 19, 2013

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

Cirosan posted:

Something must be conflicting with CCO to override the changes to Coyote Tobacco, then. I just popped open the CP module in the GECK and made sure of it, and you cannot be affected by tobacco when you have the Determined trait.

As for alcohol, CCO doesn't touch it. No changes are made to any of the forms of alcohol. Keep in mind that most alcohol in New Vegas has a low 10% addiction chance, except for beer and wine which have only a 5% chance, and Dixon's Whiskey, which has a staggeringly high 50% chance. It's entirely possible that you've just been lucky so far.
Alright, I'll run through my load order. Not too sure what it could be off the top of my head, though.

You did an awesome job with the entire mod, but the starting traits in particular are really cool. Determined has really changed how I approach things and is making some encounters pretty difficult. I ended up taking the cannibalism perk for the first time out of necessity instead of as a pre-planned character thing.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

Giggily posted:

You can turn bloom and DOF off by editing your enbseries.ini.

code:
[EFFECT]
UseOriginalPostProcessing=false
UseOriginalObjectsProcessing=false
EnableBloom=false
EnableAdaptation=true
EnableAmbientOcclusion=true
EnableDepthOfField=false
EnableSunRays=true
EnableDetailedShadow=true
Just replace the EFFECT section with this. Alternatively deleting enbeffectprepass.fx and enbbloom.fx (I think), if you have them, should fix the problem.

Yessss thank you!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

a slim spar posted:

2.) I don't know much about FXAA injectors; all I ever did was use "FNV Enhanced Shaders" over at Nexus, but now (or perhaps this was always true and I didn't notice it) when I run FNV4GB.exe it doesn't seem to use the enhanced shaders (no enbseries message on launch, no effect in-game, etc). Is this a known issue with a simple solution or should I just quit being lazy and figure it out?

It's been a month since I fixed this problem, so I'm not sure if this is the actual solution (but I think it is). Under Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas you should have a folder called exes. If you don't then make one. Copy the modified d3d9.dll file into that folder. There should also be a FalloutNV.exe. Congratulations, your shaders should now work through FNV4GB.exe

The Sweetling posted:

Yessss thank you!

No problem. I went through figuring out what a lot of this bullshit meant a month ago and am still finding new poo poo to this day because as far as I can tell there is no coherent documentation for ENB anywhere on the internet.

edit:

Okay, so there is a fix for transparency issues involving your hands in ENB. Sort of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pj_V5aCwOk

If you don't want to watch the video, here's a summary.

Download py Depth of Field. Activate that on the lowest possible DoF setting (or highest, if you want).

Open up your Fallout_Default.ini and do the following:

quote:

bAllow30Shaders=0 - If set to 1, this option will allow (but not force) the use of Shader Model 3.0 on graphics cards which support it, namely Nvidia GeForce 6600 or newer, or ATI X1000 series or newer. This can potentially improve performance when using HDR rendering for example. However to force the actual use of 3.0 Shaders after making the above change, you will also need to check your RenderInfo.txt file, found under the same directory as your .ini files, and near the bottom the file check which shader package it uses (e.g. Shader Package : 13). Then go to the \\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3\Data\Shaders\ folder and rename that particular package to something else (e.g. rename shaderpackage013.sdp to shaderpackage013._bak. Now copy shaderpackage017.sdp and paste it back into the same directory, and rename this new copy to the package name your card uses (e.g. rename it to shaderpackage013.sdp in this example). This will supposedly force Fallout 3 to use the Shader Model 3.0 shaders in the game. In practice this doesn't appear to noticeably alter image quality or performance, so at best it might be used for troubleshooting purposes (Fallout.ini).

So, basically, replace whatever shaderpackage your card uses with package 017. Remember that py DoF has to be active for anything to change.

Here are some pictures. On the left is the DoF active, on the right is it inactive, just so you can get a good feel for how the DoF effects the game visually.

Also, the reason I said sort of before is because there is no fix for aiming down the sight.

e2: also if anyone cares, http://filesmelt.com/dl/ENB_stuff2.7z is an updated version of my previous ENB config that should look more/less lovely. Who knows?

e3: This has an even more updated version of the ENB config and a patch for Nevada Skies URWLified to change the lighting around. It works with URWLified version 7, I have no idea if it'll work with any newer/older/the vanilla versions. http://filesmelt.com/dl/ENB_stuff+Nevada_Skies_patch.7z

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 20, 2013

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
I'm having an interesting save problem, and I'm hoping someone will be able to make even a guess as to what's causing it or how to resolve it:

- The first time I load a save after starting the game, it works properly, no matter what save I use (an extremely old one in Goodsprings or a current one).

- However, if I try to load a current or near-current save once I am in the game if I got into the game by loading a current or near-current save, the game crashes.

- If I try to load a very old save from inside the game, it works no matter what.

- If I try to load a current save from inside the game if I have just started a new game or loaded an old save, the save loads properly.

This presents me with an interesting problem: if I die, I can't directly try to load my most recent save, or the game will crash - but if I load a very old save and then try to load my most recent save, I can do so. So it's a problem with a workaround, albeit a cumbersome one - I'd like to just solve it.

I call this problem interesting because it's different from the usual save problem people encounter, where if they load a current save immediately after starting, the game crashes, so they have to start a new game and then load, but once in the game, loading works properly regardless of the sequence. In some sense, my problem is much like that, except that I have to basically follow that procedure every time I want to load a current save, not just the first time. I don't really have any hope that it's resolvable, unless someone else has run into it before, but it'd be nice not to have to futz around every time I want to reload.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

You did an awesome job with the entire mod, but the starting traits in particular are really cool. Determined has really changed how I approach things and is making some encounters pretty difficult. I ended up taking the cannibalism perk for the first time out of necessity instead of as a pre-planned character thing.
Glad you're having fun. I really tried to put a lot of thought into making Traits that would radically change the way people play the game, and I'm glad that it shows.

As an aside, CCO first started when a friend of mine and I were talking one night about how dissatisfied we were with the vanilla Traits in New Vegas. We agreed that they all seemed pretty tame and didn't really change much. I had several years' worth of experience modding Gamebryo and figured I could whip up a few new Traits to remedy that problem. And then I thought I could import some old Perks and Traits from classic Fallout titles. And then I thought that I could add entirely new Traits, too. And then I figured I could change the companion system to match those older games. And then I figured I might as well tweak the base formulas of the game. And so on. CCO started as a simple Trait-adding mod and grew into a full-blown overhaul. I didn't really have any specific vision or goal in mind at the time - it was a purely organic process, just me going through the game and adding things I thought could improve it. I released it not really knowing if people would enjoy it. As it turned out, some - not many, but enough - did end up enjoying it, so I kept working on it in my spare time. And here we all are.

Same thing happened with the Ulysses Companion mod, in fact. Two of my friends and I were talking about how excellently we thought the finale of Lonesome Road was executed, and how much we liked the gradual build-up of Ulysses as a character over the past three DLCs before you met him. But we were all disappointed that nothing was done with him if he survived the events of the DLC - despite how determined he was portrayed as, he just sits at the Divide doing nothing for the rest of forever. As we were talking about it, I checked to see if there was a good Ulysses companion mod anywhere that remedied that problem. There wasn't one. I was stunned. So I decided to make one.

Walls of text aside, I'd like to say that I am going to release a new version of CCO soon. This will likely be the final version, however, and I won't be releasing any new mods for New Vegas after that. I've worked with Gamebryo for so long that I think it's time to move on. In particular, I'm going to try to make my own game instead of modding existing ones. Of course, I'll still stick around for a time and fix any remaining bugs that need fixing in CCO or the Ulysses Companion mod.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I haven't run the game for a while, what makes the game crash on startup? Like, starts to load, then crashes.

It was running fine before now, I just hadn't played the game in a while.

edit: apparently it was some mod that needed DMWnv.esm or something.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 20, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I haven't run the game for a while, what makes the game crash on startup? Like, starts to load, then crashes.
Missing masters for mods is probably the most common cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Try removing your configuration .ini files from the game dir, and from the New Vegas folder in My Documents. Try a different save file. Then start disabling mods to narrow down the cause.

quote:

I'm having an interesting save problem, and I'm hoping someone will be able to make even a guess as to what's causing it or how to resolve it:

Could it have something to do with your location? I noticed saved games inside the kitchen of the Ultra Luxe can't be loaded. Perhaps there're other screwy spots.

The Sweetling fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 20, 2013