Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
For those of you using the SwiftKey Flow beta: SwiftKey 4 has just been released to the play store. Rejoice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I'm looking at todo list apps. The background is that I've been a reasonably happy customer of GQueues for a few years. It does contexts, recurring tasks, multi-step / nested tasks. On the down side, it's just a webapp, so the interface is a bit average, and there's no widget. (It's this last one that irritates me the most.) And everything else I use is Google, so using something that worked with Google Tasks would be useful.

Any ideas?I see Astrid now works with GTasks, although I'm not clear _how_ it works with it (does it use the GTask infrastructure, does it just copy it's tasks to there?)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Badly Jester posted:

For those of you using the SwiftKey Flow beta: SwiftKey 4 has just been released to the play store. Rejoice.

Hey neat, I can flow now. I was expecting to have to buy a new version of swift key but it was just an update.

It also deletes whole words by long pressing on the backspace key. Hurray.

Probably won't flow much, although it's much easier for one handed typing. This post was entirely flowed.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Even with flow off, I think back-swiping will delete whole words, too.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Badly Jester posted:

After installing the new version, letting it learn from my gmail, facebook, and sms, uninstalling the beta version, and rebooting, it looks like it is using much less memory than the beta was.

The beta was sitting at about 45MB of RAM, where as the new version is sitting at about 25MB.

I do find it kind of absurd that I need to keep an eye on the memory of my Galaxy Nexus (1 GB of RAM, less after graphics). But I have found that some apps like Zooper Widget use way too much memory and cause really poor performance. I am looking foward to getting a phone with 2GB or more of RAM in the future.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
SwiftKey is annoying in two ways. First, that it makes you go on a whole roundtrip to the settings to select a different keyboard. And second, the smartassery of the prediction when using Flow, by leaving out retroactive correction with probable alternative words, like in Google's gesture keyboard, making it a pain to use when it guesses wrong (which it did to often in the past, too).

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
The Google keyboard is just better now. Sorry Swiftkey, it's been fun.

Why does Google Voice default to using the Messenger app for text messages on the N4 and why can't I change that setting? It always fails.

On the other hand, both are terrible.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Is Flow the same as Swype?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there an app store version of google's 4.2 keyboard? Although it's fairly unlikely to move me from Kii; flow couldn't do it.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

SwiftKey is annoying in two ways. First, that it makes you go on a whole roundtrip to the settings to select a different keyboard. And second, the smartassery of the prediction when using Flow, by leaving out retroactive correction with probable alternative words, like in Google's gesture keyboard, making it a pain to use when it guesses wrong (which it did to often in the past, too).

You should be able to use the IME Switcher in your notification drawer to switch keyboards in a text field.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Is there an app store version of google's 4.2 keyboard? Although it's fairly unlikely to move me from Kii; flow couldn't do it.
I always assumed Kii was branched from the AOSP keyboard. It looks incredibly similar.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Siroc posted:

Is Flow the same as Swype?

Sort of. I still think Swype's algorithm for deciphering swiped input is way better than Swiftkey's. I can use Swype without having to keep staring at the keyboard responses to see if it's the right word. I think they've just been in this arena for way longer, and Swiftkey is still trying to use their prediction engine which only gets in the way of the swiping paradigm. The only thing I like better about Swiftkey is the keyboard layout.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunga posted:

I always assumed Kii was branched from the AOSP keyboard. It looks incredibly similar.

That makes sense; I was guessing they'd yoinked such features as swyping tech from somewhere given that they're a much smaller enterprise than SwiftKey or Swype.

So is Kii basically the same in operation as 4.2 but with extra options?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Is there a way to prevent the phone from locking when a certain app is running? I use a podcast app in the car but having to unlock it every time I want to pause or whatever is annoying/dangerous. It would be better if the screen could just turn off and come back on with a tap. There's no settings in the app itself for this.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

fivre posted:

Why does Google Voice default to using the Messenger app for text messages on the N4 and why can't I change that setting? It always fails.

On the other hand, both are terrible.

What does it say in settings - sync - receive text messages?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google Voice is just a terrible terrible app.

One complaint I have right now is it doesn't use the proximity sensor when you listen to voice mails. If I'm in public I really don't want to use the speaker phone, but I have to be careful my cheek doesn't touch the screen when holding the phone up to my ear or I risk hitting a button.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

wa27 posted:

Is there a way to prevent the phone from locking when a certain app is running? I use a podcast app in the car but having to unlock it every time I want to pause or whatever is annoying/dangerous. It would be better if the screen could just turn off and come back on with a tap. There's no settings in the app itself for this.

This kind of situation is basically the reason Tasker exists, as long as you can navigate the interface.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

bull3964 posted:

Google Voice is just a terrible terrible app.

One complaint I have right now is it doesn't use the proximity sensor when you listen to voice mails. If I'm in public I really don't want to use the speaker phone, but I have to be careful my cheek doesn't touch the screen when holding the phone up to my ear or I risk hitting a button.

Well that explains why so many of my voicemails seemed to start for one second then stop.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

hooah posted:

That only seems to let me add or remove all posts from that source from the read list, rather than letting me exclude only podcasts.

This is true. But add far as I'm aware, this is the only way to do it.

I personally don't use the Read List because I really don't see how it's useful.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

wa27 posted:

You can also use Llama with the Secure Settings plugin. A simple rule with the condition (active app or something similar, mine is in German) that this app is running and the event "Locale Plugin" via Secure Settings which then disables the lock should do the trick.

Llama is a lot easier to use and free, but unlike Tasker it doesn't revert to the previous state when the condition isn't met anymore, so you probably want to use the same setup for a second rule, with the condition being that the app is not running anymore and Secure Settings then enabling the lock.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Looks like an update for Google Maps just hit the Play Store. The change log just says "bug fixes", so hopefully it fixed the wake lock issue. Doubt it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are there any notable weather widgets, apart from what eye in the sky and beautiful widgets offer? Both of those are solid but I'm wondering if there isn't something that does it better, or is at least worth considering.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Are there any notable weather widgets, apart from what eye in the sky and beautiful widgets offer? Both of those are solid but I'm wondering if there isn't something that does it better, or is at least worth considering.

The Weather Channel just had a major design update and isn't hideous anymore:-)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

XIII posted:

Looks like an update for Google Maps just hit the Play Store. The change log just says "bug fixes", so hopefully it fixed the wake lock issue. Doubt it.
I thought the fix for this was actually in 4.2.2 because it's a framework issue?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Be Weather is pretty good.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Badly Jester posted:

The Amazon appstore has the update too, for those of us who got it from there, since it never seems to notify me of updates any more.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The ability to flow through the space bar is pretty much what sold me on SwiftKey Flow. I never have to lift my fingat.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

XIII posted:

Today's Maps update seems to have removed Maps from its perennial #1/2 spot on my battery use chart. It's not even in the top 10 now. Hoping I can get 2 days per charge on my Note II now.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

The ability to flow through the space bar is pretty much what sold me on SwiftKey Flow. I never have to lift my fingat.

Now if only they made flow not suck. I got super excited when I first heard about that feature, and then I tried it.

Wondering how long it will be before Swype gets it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

XIII posted:

Actually, it looks like the update shows that Google is possibly about to activate the ability for Maps on Android to have lane guidance. Android Police found code in the app that suggests there's a version of Maps that has it (probably an internal one).

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/02/20/apk-teardown-google-maps-6-14-3-next-stop-lane-guidance/

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Probably beaten to death, but whats the best going comic book viewer/reader on the market for smartphones that don't have massive screens?

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 21, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to make the DashClock lockscreen widget stay expanded?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hooah posted:

Is there a way to make the DashClock lockscreen widget stay expanded?

Stock no but CM has an option to always have lock screen widgets always expanded.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Well at least we Didn't have to buy a new version of SwiftKey

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

Tunga posted:

I thought the fix for this was actually in 4.2.2 because it's a framework issue?
It is. The OS was not respecting the indicator from the app that it was done getting a location and would leave it polling indefinitely. It had nothing to do with Maps and this update does nothing to toward that end. This was explicitly spelled out in the 4.2.2 changelog.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Probably beaten to death, but whats the best going comic book viewer/reader on the market for smartphones that don't have massive screens?

How small? Perfect viewer is what I've settled on.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
I've noticed that when my wife sends me those iPhone emoji, that they are now showing up on my Note2 but with a cooler, monochromatic representation. Whats the best way for me to be able to send these if I'm using the stock messenger and Swiftkey? I can't seem to find them.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ColdCock posted:

I've noticed that when my wife sends me those iPhone emoji, that they are now showing up on my Note2 but with a cooler, monochromatic representation. Whats the best way for me to be able to send these if I'm using the stock messenger and Swiftkey? I can't seem to find them.

The only way I've found is with the stock Jelly Bean keyboard and adding the "Emoji for English words" dictionary under text correction->Add-on dictionaries. Then you type a word the emoji show up as a suggestion. It's a bad method and I hope Google makes them easier to use in the next revision. The font has a shitload of emoji and I don't think they all have words associated with them.
I just want to use this guy:

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

outlier posted:

How small? Perfect viewer is what I've settled on.

Seconding Perfect Viewer. I use it on the N7 and it's amazing. Bigger screens are obviously a plus, but it should work fine on a phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Speaking of google maps,

On my old Droid Incredible, I could have a different volume for google maps and a different volume for my music. I can't seem to change it now.

However, even though Google Maps is nice enough to lower the volume of music while its giving me directions, I can still barely hear them. Is there any way to change that?

• Locked thread