Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

VogeGandire posted:

No, that would a legitimate story that Vince himself told. I dunno where I'd find the link, but if someone else could find it, I'd be grateful, I'd love to read it and :psyduck: again.

I'm kind of horrified thinking about how Vince admitted to just about everything in that interview except what his mother did to him. Whatever it was must have been really hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

What's a gimmick you thought was really good, but flopped and generally everybody else hates? What went wrong for the wrestler in question?

What's the dumbest segment you've ever seen on a wrestling show? Try to avoid the really famous stupid stuff if at all possible (Mae Young giving birth to a hand, David Arquette winning the belt etc...)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaylord Plower posted:

What's the dumbest segment you've ever seen on a wrestling show? Try to avoid the really famous stupid stuff if at all possible (Mae Young giving birth to a hand, David Arquette winning the belt etc...)

Ravens segment in Extreme Reunion. In fact every single moment of Extreme Reunion.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Has there been any word as to why Edge really hasn't done anything with the WWE since retiring? He had his HOF induction and a single promo with Christian, but nothing since then. I figured he'd just slide right into something else with WWE. Would probably be a good GM.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Devil Child posted:

I'm kind of horrified thinking about how Vince admitted to just about everything in that interview except what his mother did to him. Whatever it was must have been really hosed up.
Between that and what his stepfather did to him, it's no wonder he hates anything that makes him seem weak or not successful. Imagine all that stuff running through your head as a reminder of how he could've ended up like either of them...

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gaylord Plower posted:

What's a gimmick you thought was really good, but flopped and generally everybody else hates? What went wrong for the wrestler in question?

Mordecai. What could be better than Bizarro White Undertaker (lots of things apparently). I guess the blame probably lies most with Creative here, because they never fully pulled the trigger on him after those vignettes and for whatever reason they never got to the Mordecai/Taker showdown. I think if they'd given him a little more time and booked him better, he might've gotten to the level of 'Poor Man's Kane' at least. Thorne wasn't great, but he could've been an okay hoss.

Honourable mention to Sean O'Haire and his devil gimmick. Outside of corpsing too much in the Piper segments and being a victim of the tumultuous relationship between Vince and Roddy, I never really thought it was necessary or particularly sensical to pair him with Piper in the first place. I liked the idea though, and O'Haire had a pretty good look.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

flashy_mcflash posted:

Honourable mention to Sean O'Haire and his devil gimmick. Outside of corpsing too much in the Piper segments and being a victim of the tumultuous relationship between Vince and Roddy, I never really thought it was necessary or particularly sensical to pair him with Piper in the first place. I liked the idea though, and O'Haire had a pretty good look.

He was corpsing all the time, that is why they paired him with Piper.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Orgophlax posted:

Has there been any word as to why Edge really hasn't done anything with the WWE since retiring? He had his HOF induction and a single promo with Christian, but nothing since then. I figured he'd just slide right into something else with WWE. Would probably be a good GM.

Surprisingly a lot of people don't want to immediately get back into the WWE grind after retiring. He apparently did ok on that Haven TV show, so I assume he is trying to get deeper into acting.

Not like WWE won't take him back with open arms at any point in the future anyway.

Right after he retired he said he was looking forward to relaxing and eating ice cream, now that he no longer has to stay in perfect shape.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Sean O'Haire's devil gimmick would have been a really fun midcard heel. Shame he kinda blew it, plus Vince and Roddy's on-again-off-again relationship.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Look up Vince's playboy interview. It is chock full of crazy.

VogeGandire posted:

No, that would a legitimate story that Vince himself told. I dunno where I'd find the link, but if someone else could find it, I'd be grateful, I'd love to read it and :psyduck: again.

I just... ok gently caress it...

Gaylord Plower posted:

Its a cliche answer but Katie Vick. I was 12 and saw that and turned off Raw until Survivor Series 2005.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
Zack Ryder taking forever to change a tire while Eve acted hysterical was the dumbest thing I can think of in recent memory.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Gaylord Plower posted:

For gimmicks: I know they were objectively terrible, and symptomatic of the dying days of the Rock and Wrestling Era, but whenever I see the Bushwhackers, I can't help but do the Bushwhacker Bounce. I dunno why, but I just loving love them.

Dumbest segment: Anything involving Hornswoggle. Or Natalya during the farting gimmick.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I think I recall a segment with DX pretending to rape Stephanie to make Vince angry. Like, the camera was outside a room where they were running a train on her. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I remember being really grossed out and annoyed and feeling justified in watching Nitro instead of Raw.

Or I was drunk. Its one or the other.

fake edit: and I also remember a bit where Stone Cold was stalking the members of DX and he took out X-Pac by god-voicing a Kasey Kasem quote and dropping the ceiling on his head. That was pretty stupid.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

VogeGandire posted:

Dumbest segment: Anything involving Hornswoggle.

Counterpoint: Any time Finlay used Hornswoggle as a weapon.

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Ministry of Darkness storyline is probably only in the top five of dumb pro-wrestling storylines, but it pisses me off the most because it could've been really awesome had Vince Russo not been the worst booker in history.

Outside of that, places 1 through 4 are taken up in no particular order by an assortment of Kane storylines. With the dumbest either being May 19th, the Khali feuds, the Cena/Ryder feud, or the Hardy/Lita/Snitsky Saga, something I honestly found even harder to watch than Katie Vick.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
Snitsky angles were generally pretty terrible. Considering how often they rename guys, why didn't they rename Snitsky? It's a pretty terrible name.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gaylord Plower posted:

I don't know if it's the dumbest exactly, but WCW had a thing where Fit Finlay, Brian Knobbs, and Al Green (as "The Dog") were dressed up in camo BDUs and calling themselves the "Hardcore Soldiers." Finlay and Knobbs led Al Green, who was wearing red contacts and acting like an animal, to the ring on a leash. It remains the single gayest thing I've ever seen. I'm not homophobic, I'm just pointing out that it was incredibly gay. I thought they were going to gently caress Three Count.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Segments where feces are dropped/sprayed upon people is pretty dumb.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

DangerDummy! posted:

he took out X-Pac by god-voicing a Kasey Kasem quote and dropping the ceiling on his head.

It's probably just because I haven't seen the execution, but my mental image of this is hilarious.

To answer the question, in the post-Invasion period there was a storyline where Dawn Marie was trying to seduce Torrie Wilson's elderly father, and then eventually they got married and on the next show it was announced that he'd had a heart attack from boning too much and was dead. This seems kinda like a standard one-off joke from that period, when you put it that way, but it wasn't. That poo poo lasted for months. Literal months of Dawn Marie making out with an old man and terrible, terrible matches with Torrie.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
"Wrestling's dumbest segments" should really be it's own thread. I think we could get as much mileage out of that as we did the thread about wrestlers being lovely people.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Solomonic posted:

To answer the question, in the post-Invasion period there was a storyline where Dawn Marie was trying to seduce Torrie Wilson's elderly father, and then eventually they got married and on the next show it was announced that he'd had a heart attack from boning too much and was dead. This seems kinda like a standard one-off joke from that period, when you put it that way, but it wasn't. That poo poo lasted for months. Literal months of Dawn Marie making out with an old man and terrible, terrible matches with Torrie.
What I love about that angle is how a bunch of segments would end with the camera lingering on Dawn's evil smile, as if she was harboring some evil plan. And then there was absolutely no payoff to any of it. Al Wilson died, Dawn Marie seemed genuinely upset, and that was it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Another possible reason: while 218,000 people is a huge sample size, it actually isn't a big enough sample size to correctly survey every sport. I don't know for sure, but some of those more niche sports likely have less than one million fans in the US, and even a huge overall sample may not be able to bring up a large enough representative sample of say, Supercross/Motocross.

Supercross is a pretty middle-class whites thing because of the costs associated with participating.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Solomonic posted:

It's probably just because I haven't seen the execution, but my mental image of this is hilarious.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=qrYVHpZnStg

Best I could do. It's about 55 seconds in. Stone Cold starts god-voicing a bunch of horse poo poo, which leads to DX doing a bunch of bad "who... wha... where's that coming from!?" pantomime. Austin says something like "Remember what Kasey Kasem always said: keep your feet on the ground and your head in the clouds". Then he dumps a bunch of ceiling tiles on X-Pac's head. He took out X-Pac with ceiling tiles. Its definitely not top 10 worst, not even close, but it always stuck out in my mind as being really loving dumb.

And by "a bunch of ceiling tiles", I mean two or three.

Speaking of X-Pac does anyone remember a RAW where he got crotched on a barrier and he kept screaming "My balls! My loving balls!" over and over again near a live mic? Another one I thought I misremembered, but a buddy of mine corroborated it the other day.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 20, 2013

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not homophobic, I'm just

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Solomonic posted:

This was during the Heyman-booked Smackdown era. The story I'd always heard was that Vince was demanding "more soap opera" during the Smackdown Six era, and Heyman cooperated by sticking two valets in a ten-minute-a-week segment that didn't have to actually impact anything that happened on the rest of the show. This sort of backfired when the Al Wilson storyline turned out to be the second highest-rated segment on Smackdown most of the weeks it ran.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Didn't Al Wilson turn heel on Torrie or something?

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Al Wilson angle was still better than Roode/Young and Chavo/Hornswoggle. Largely in the same way that "Dance (A$$)" is a better song than that godawful Nickelback tune that used to open RAW.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

TenaciousJ posted:

Snitsky angles were generally pretty terrible. Considering how often they rename guys, why didn't they rename Snitsky? It's a pretty terrible name.

Was Snitsky the one that had a gimmick where he'd describe how he was hurting people in medical terms? Because that should have been good.

Also, Shelton's Mama. Loved that so much.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Minidust posted:

What I love about that angle is how a bunch of segments would end with the camera lingering on Dawn's evil smile, as if she was harboring some evil plan. And then there was absolutely no payoff to any of it. Al Wilson died, Dawn Marie seemed genuinely upset, and that was it.

I was only watching occasionally at the time, but wasn't that whole angle meant to be Dawn Marie was using Al Wilson so she could eventually get into Torrie's pants? I seem to recall at least one video clip featuring HLA between Dawn Marie and Torrie, where Torrie was depicted as the innocent angel while Dawn Marie was the devilish bisexual seducer intent on corrupting her. Or something like that, anyways. :v:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Was Snitsky the one that had a gimmick where he'd describe how he was hurting people in medical terms? Because that should have been good.

That was Mike Knox, for like a month span before he was fired.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Orgophlax posted:

He's doing autograph signings for the World of Wheels car show thing, which I only know because the commercial was playing when my alarm went off this morning.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Perdido posted:

He's doing autograph signings for the World of Wheels car show thing, which I only know because the commercial was playing when my alarm went off this morning.

Edge and WWE had an issue on the "Legends deal" he was offered. They had him do a couple guest spots when they were courting him about it but he claimed the amount offered was an insult. They haven't really talked since. I heard they didn't like his appearance at House of Hardcore either.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Edge also has a regular deal with the USA show Haven and I'm sure he's saved his money, so if they offer him an insulting amount, he can walk if he likes. A shame, I think he could be decent colour guy.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Edge also has a regular deal with the USA show Haven and I'm sure he's saved his money, so if they offer him an insulting amount, he can walk if he likes. A shame, I think he could be decent colour guy.

That's on SyFy, so I doubt it pays much.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

The reality is much, much less funny than I'd envisioned it.

Also, I say my thanks every day that I wasn't watching during the whole Chavo/Hornswoggle thing. Holy christ, I can barely tolerate Hornswoggle when he shows up for one segment every five or six Raws, I can't imagine having him around every week.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

That's on SyFy, so I doubt it pays much.

Fair enough, but if he's saved the money they paid him while he was a main-eventer like Punk did/has, he doesn't need much.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

To answer my own question, the dumbest segment I've seen in pro wrestling is all the stuff with the Goldberg monster truck in WCW where it would show up backstage and save people from beat downs by revving it's engine menacingly or doing some sweet jumps in the parking lot. For a while there, there was actually some kind of mystery as to whether or not it's actually Goldberg driving it. I think for a few weeks Tank Abbott was actually feuding with the monster truck and that spun off into TANKBERG when it was finally revealed Goldberg was driving his own monster truck. The best was when Scott Steiner tried to lure Tank Abbott and (I think) Rick Steiner into a trap backstage but they get the better of him and then the Goldberg truck crushes some random cars and they run in fear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd6JG2hPPcQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVPN3Hji_f8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLXBxkb6g9Y

etc...

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know if it's the dumbest exactly, but WCW had a thing where Fit Finlay, Brian Knobbs, and Al Green (as "The Dog") were dressed up in camo BDUs and calling themselves the "Hardcore Soldiers." Finlay and Knobbs led Al Green, who was wearing red contacts and acting like an animal, to the ring on a leash.

You left out the really dumb part where Dog drank from toilets

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
Did Jim Cornette ever really talk politics beyond that 2009 podcast that went viral?

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sometimes he does, but usually only to tangentially insult people in wrestling he doesn't like such as Russo (deservedly) or HBK (being a sperglord), not a full blown explosion like that very often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Big Show coffin surfing.