Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

John McCain posted:

I'm having an interesting save problem, and I'm hoping someone will be able to make even a guess as to what's causing it or how to resolve it:

- The first time I load a save after starting the game, it works properly, no matter what save I use (an extremely old one in Goodsprings or a current one).

- However, if I try to load a current or near-current save once I am in the game if I got into the game by loading a current or near-current save, the game crashes.

- If I try to load a very old save from inside the game, it works no matter what.

- If I try to load a current save from inside the game if I have just started a new game or loaded an old save, the save loads properly.

This presents me with an interesting problem: if I die, I can't directly try to load my most recent save, or the game will crash - but if I load a very old save and then try to load my most recent save, I can do so. So it's a problem with a workaround, albeit a cumbersome one - I'd like to just solve it.

I call this problem interesting because it's different from the usual save problem people encounter, where if they load a current save immediately after starting, the game crashes, so they have to start a new game and then load, but once in the game, loading works properly regardless of the sequence. In some sense, my problem is much like that, except that I have to basically follow that procedure every time I want to load a current save, not just the first time. I don't really have any hope that it's resolvable, unless someone else has run into it before, but it'd be nice not to have to futz around every time I want to reload.

Have you exploded yourself, and are you using quicksaves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
It's possible I exploded myself at some point, though I don't recall having done so. I'm using CASM saves (and occasional manual saves at significant points),

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I can't really pin down the issue, but the game crashes a lot and I'm not sure why...

Like maybe every 10-30 minutes?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I can't really pin down the issue, but the game crashes a lot and I'm not sure why...
Like maybe every 10-30 minutes?
Post your loadorder and list any mods that you may have installed outside of the loadorder (nvse plugins, etc) and maybe someone can spot a potential problem.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

code:
falloutnv.esm
FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
IWR.esm
domecity.esm
domecity_Kaz_plugin.esm
Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm
LDFemalePowerArmorPack.esm
NPC Project.esm
NV Child - Shojo Headgear.esm
NVInteriors_Core.esm
NVInteriors_ComboEdition.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
Tales from the Burning Sands.esm
The.Armory.esm
New Vegas Redesigned II.esm
Lings.esm
MikotoBeauty.esm
Shojo Race Vegas.esm
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
DWCNV.esm
Mission Mojave - Ultimate Edition.esp
MMUE-CP-NVInteriors.esp
DarNifiedUINV.esp
CASM.esp
Centered 3rd Person Camera.esp
IWR - Rebuilt.esp
Readius_NV.esp
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
Bitter Springs Revisited.esp
NPC Project - Aerotech Office Park.esp
Lucky 38 Suite Expansion.esp
The New Bison Steve Hotel.esp
Project Nevada - Dead Money.esp
Project Nevada - Honest Hearts.esp
Project Nevada - Old World Blues.esp
Project Nevada - Lonesome Road.esp
Project Nevada - Gun Runners' Arsenal.esp
MMUE-CP-PNCore.esp
MMUE-CP-PNRebalance.esp
MMUE-CP-PNEquipment.esp
MMUE-CP-PNOWB.esp
Existence2.0.esp
CONELRAD 640-1240.esp
CRL9K_ThisMachineSound.esp
MojaveExtended100.esp
NewVegasBounties.esp
NewVegasBountiesII.esp
Rustyhwys.esp
Better Binoculars High.esp
THOR.esp
AirForceArmorT57C.esp
Boacombat2glove.esp
bornagain Book Of Steel.esp
boa ncrpahelmet.esp
bzArmour.esp
Colossus T49.esp
Project Nevada - T49XV Patch.esp
LegionGladiatorPA.esp
DragbodysLegionReplacerV01.esp
VaultTecPowerArmor.esp
NVR- Recommended.esp
New Vegas redesigned- Honest Hearts.esp
Voice dissonance fix.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main NV.esp
LFox Bottle That Water.esp
WeaponModsExpanded.esp
Project Nevada - WMX.esp
WMX-ModernWeapons.esp
WMX-DeadMoney.esp
WMX-HonestHearts.esp
WMX-OldWorldBlues.esp
WMX-LonesomeRoad.esp
WMX-GunRunnersArsenal.esp
WMX-ArenovalisTextures.esp
WMX-PreOrderPackClassic.esp
WMX-PreOrderPackCaravan.esp
WMX-PreOrderPackMercenary.esp
WMX-PreOrderPackTribal.esp
EVE FNV.esp
Project Nevada - EVE.esp
WMX-EVE.esp
Vurt's WFO.esp
Western Sky.esp
Western Sky - Darker Nights.esp
Interior Lighting Overhaul - Ultimate Edition.esp
ILO - PipBoy Light.esp
AFricanAmericanAAlbino.esp
MikotoBeauty.esp
NPC Project - 188 Trading Post.esp
Continue After Ending V1.9.esp
Type3MClothing_HH.esp
Type3MClothing_OWB.esp
Type3MClothing.esp
The.Armory.Cabinet.Addon.esp
childcanuse.esp
child can use DM.esp
child can use HH.esp
Childcanuse OWB.esp
ChildcanuseLR.esp
1nivVSLArmors.esp
Project Nevada Items.esp
I'm also running the 4GB patch thing, figuring that would alleviate it, but apparently not.

Do I need one of those merged patch things?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 20, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

quote:

load order

First thing that springs to mind:

Two copies of falloutnv.esm?
also "shojo race" is not something I'm looking up at work. :catstare:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Psion posted:

First thing that springs to mind:

Two copies of falloutnv.esm?
also "shojo race" is not something I'm looking up at work. :catstare:

It's safe for work...

Anyways maybe that's the issue? It shows up fine for me in NMM

Also EVE seems to throw out errors in fnvedit, so maybe that's part of it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's safe for work...

Where do you work? :stonk:

Sojo Race will always get poo poo from these forums. Why does everyone insist on playing New Vegas as a little alien girl race?

Besides horrible anime mods, ditch Mission Mojave. Run your load order through BOSS. Make a merged patch. Eve is also crashy as gently caress.

Not even sure how you have two FalloutNV.esm listed.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Where do you work? :stonk:

Sojo Race will always get poo poo from these forums. Why does everyone insist on playing New Vegas as a little alien girl race?

Besides horrible anime mods, ditch Mission Mojave. Run your load order through BOSS. Make a merged patch. Eve is also crashy as gently caress.

Not even sure how you have two FalloutNV.esm listed.

What is wrong with Mission Mojave?

That was the list after run through BOSS, by the way.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do I need one of those merged patch things?
Oh dear Ao yes. FNVEdit's merged patch is the easiest route, though I'd advice to make a Bashed patch with WryeBash. Both a merged and a bashed patch are the same thing: a compatiblity patch. But in my experience WryeBash produces better results then FNVEdit.

Falloutnv.esm
Why is this listed twice?
Eve
This can make energy weapon look pretty, but it's also an unstable piece of crap that causes crashing and contains rather dumb unlisted changes.
Mission Mojave
The various bugfix compilation packs for New Vegas are pretty crappy. They do fix some stuff, but also introduce new bugs, include unneeded and crappy changes and can cause instability. And frankly New Vegas isn't a terribly buggy game in the first place.
AirForceArmorT57C
I'm fairly sure Project Nevada's equipment module contains this armour.

There are some more questionable entires in your loadorder (not least of which is the combination of an anime child race and Type3 big boob clothing). But I'd start with setting up a proper compatiblity patch.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 20, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It seems NMM keeps adding back a "falloutnv.esm" entry to the beginning of the file, and ignores the "FalloutNV.esm" entry that exists there.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
I agree with the suggestion to remove MM and Eve, in addition, Dome City is known to be fairly buggy as well. I think Project Nevada includes a number of the armor mods you've got there, so you might want to check their google doc page to see which mods they mark as being included (I know for certain that Vault Tec Power Armor is included, at least)

I don't know anything about the stability of the Shoujo race mod, but what are the "child can use" mods supposed to do?

Like the others have said, make a merged patch, even if it doesn't make things more stable, it'll help merge the various changes the mods make. Personally, I don't use bashed patchs for Fallout games anymore, as I've found they consistently make the game more unstable, but your experience may differ.

Edit: Also, if you ditch MM, might be best to start a new game so everything's clean. Even if NV isn't like Skyrim when it comes to remembering scripts, the removal of such a far reaching mod tends to lend to instability.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
EVE has never given me issues :ohdear:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Any suggestions for why Gtab's ammo mod might have issues with Arenovalis' Pancor? Shooting with the pancor crashes the game. Without Gtab's mod loaded it works fine. I did use the updated esp file for the pancor. I wanted to try comparing the two with FNVE but I frankly don't know what I'd be looking for.

I've really gotta my computer fixed so I can look into these issues. Are you using the Armory as well? Some other people were having issues with It. I never remembered having issues with either the ammo master or the Jackhammer. Are you using a merged patch?

And maybe think about renaming this mod because the current name is kind of ugly and makes it a pain to talk about.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

John McCain posted:

It's possible I exploded myself at some point, though I don't recall having done so. I'm using CASM saves (and occasional manual saves at significant points),

Load up, save, explode yourself completely (limbs flying off), let it reload, then save. See if you can load that final save normally if you get to that point.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alright, so I've done yet more fiddling with ENB, and I've discovered a weird oddity with the transparency bug.

Facing anywhere between South and Northwest on the compass will cause the bug to occur: Note the hat clipping and all of the foliage showing up through the ground.

Facing ANY OTHER DIRECTION shows no bug. This appears to be completely independant of the normal 'transparent hand' thing that happens with SSAO, and the only way to keep this from happening is to disable the ENB effect entirely.

From what I gather, it's probably because I'm using an ATI graphics card and ENB has a history of not playing nice with ATI, but if anyone knows an alternative reason this could be going on feel free to speak up! Just to note, switching 'Force NVidia Card' on and off does not fix this as it is no longer necessary with the latest version of the F:NV ENB plugin.

EDIT: Turning off ingame AA in the launcher options fixed it!

:toot:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 21, 2013

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

John McCain posted:

Something that has fixed saving issues for me(the game crashing on fast traveling, during the autosave) is to die and then load the latest autosave. You should then be able to fast travel and load/save games normally. Backup your save first.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SpookyLizard posted:

I've really gotta my computer fixed so I can look into these issues. Are you using the Armory as well? Some other people were having issues with It. I never remembered having issues with either the ammo master or the Jackhammer. Are you using a merged patch?

Using the Armory (2.5), have not bothered with a merge yet. I can look into different mod combinations to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the work on the mod btw.

quote:

And maybe think about renaming this mod because the current name is kind of ugly and makes it a pain to talk about.
Is it because he hates bullpups?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know if this fits here or in the regular thread but is it possible to let the game run while alt tabbed? Sometimes running from point A to B takes forever and i'd like to do something else other than the courier running forward for 5 minutes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mans posted:

I don't know if this fits here or in the regular thread but is it possible to let the game run while alt tabbed? Sometimes running from point A to B takes forever and i'd like to do something else other than the courier running forward for 5 minutes.

Could always get the car mod and the mod that fixes the roads up to make them useful if you want to move quicker.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
If there was one thing I'd like to do as a modder, it'd be one that makes the OWB's intro skippable.

so long when it's the 7th time you've seen it :negative:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
This Save Game Cleaner thingy looks interesting.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Can anyone else who's using ENB tell me if this is normal?

At 7:59 PM my game looks like this.

And then at 8:00 PM the sun vanishes, along with the shadows.

If I turn ENB off the sun is still visible, but with ENB on it's just not there. If this is a problem that can be fixed I'd like to know, but it just might be a quirk with ENB.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Capn Beeb posted:

EVE has never given me issues :ohdear:

The only issue I've had with EVE is the whole "random npcs barfing at random intervals"-thing, but I don't really mind as it's hilarious:

:pcgaming:

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 21, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Using the Armory (2.5), have not bothered with a merge yet. I can look into different mod combinations to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the work on the mod btw.

Is it because he hates bullpups?

Thanks. Make a merged patch. Its utterly necessary and fixes all kinds of all problems you may not even know you have.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Giggily posted:

Can anyone else who's using ENB tell me if this is normal?

At 7:59 PM my game looks like this.

And then at 8:00 PM the sun vanishes, along with the shadows.

If I turn ENB off the sun is still visible, but with ENB on it's just not there. If this is a problem that can be fixed I'd like to know, but it just might be a quirk with ENB.

This is what I get, too. It makes night visually less interesting.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

FONV only runs about 30fps or less for me on my system, I need a better graphics card but I can't afford it. ENB is also out of my reach for 99% of games. (HD4890 + oc'd 3570k)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SpookyLizard posted:

Thanks. Make a merged patch. Its utterly necessary and fixes all kinds of all problems you may not even know you have.

I tried it with a merged patch but unfortunately it didn't help. I played out around checking different combinations of mods, and everything points to the Gtab mod causing the crash. I've only experienced this with Arenovalis' Pancor.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Chronojam posted:

Load up, save, explode yourself completely (limbs flying off), let it reload, then save. See if you can load that final save normally if you get to that point.

No matter how hard I try to explode myself (spawned a Fat Man into my inventory) I can't get my left arm and left leg to come off.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

John McCain posted:

No matter how hard I try to explode myself (spawned a Fat Man into my inventory) I can't get my left arm and left leg to come off.

As long as just some of them come off you're probably OK, but for maximum limb blasting a pile of mines seems to work great from my experience. Sometimes I like to stack raiders up on a pile of mines, you see, but it works just as well for the player character.

But yeah, blow off some limbs and see if that helps. If not, I don't know what to tell you other than you might've loaded some mod that you cannot unload and then you unloaded it (some of those Freeside expansion ones come to mind).

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

How can I get Darnified UI and oHUD working together? I assume that I need to have oHUD after Darn in the load order, but FOMM won't let .esm files load after .esp files.

Ed: Wait, it depends on the installation order? I guess oHUD overwrites some common files?

Yep, I feel like an idiot.

Synastren fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 23, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Synastren posted:

How can I get Darnified UI and oHUD working together? I assume that I need to have oHUD after Darn in the load order, but FOMM won't let .esm files load after .esp files.

Ed: Wait, it depends on the installation order? I guess oHUD overwrites some common files?

Yep, I feel like an idiot.

You install uHud last and not worry about the install order much. uHud is your friend. Use uHud.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

SpookyLizard posted:

You install uHud last and not worry about the install order much. uHud is your friend. Use uHud.

What does uHud offer me that Darn + oHUD doesn't? Not trying to be a dick, but I really don't know.

Would I be looking at Darn + uHUD + iHUD + aHUD (goddamn), or does uHUD make all of the font changes than Darn does?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Synastren posted:

What does uHud offer me that Darn + oHUD doesn't? Not trying to be a dick, but I really don't know.

Would I be looking at Darn + uHUD + iHUD + aHUD (goddamn), or does uHUD make all of the font changes than Darn does?

aHud, iHud and Primary Needs are all part of oHud. uHud is a project/standard for various HUD mods, and uHud is basically a fomod script that takes what UI mods you have and sees to it that various files that are edited are edited properly and work well together. It doesn't replace anything, it just makes it all work together.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's been a while... do weapons have set ranges of effectiveness?

According to the GECK wiki the range values (min and max) only serve to control what distance the AI uses them at.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Synastren posted:

Nothing. You can instal Darn, and instal oHUD on top of it. oHUD has Darn compatible files and it's fomod installer should handle it automatically (just be sure to have the .esp from Darn activated before installing oHUD).
That said, if you want to use more UI mods, or mods that have a UI component (such as Project Nevada), you will need to take a look at uHUD for compatiblity files.

Rinkles posted:

It's been a while... do weapons have set ranges of effectiveness?
Each projectile has a specific range beyond which the game removes it if it hasn't hit anything. In practice though, those ranges are so long it depends more on your view distance settings and the weapon's accuracy.
You can grab a sniper rifle, zoom in and spot a campsite miles away. But if your settings don't show any actors that far away, you can't hit anything and you're essentially beyond that rifle's effective range.
Same with accuracy: You can grab an really accurate weapon like the brush gun and plink away at a targat a good distance away. But try to do the same with a weapon like the assault carbine that doesn't know the definition of accurate and you'll be lucky if one bullet out of a thousand will hit them.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

There's no bullet drop off or wind drift either if that matters to you.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
It's about time for the annual F:NV playthrough, and this time I think I'm going to try out jsawyer. That said, a lot's changed, and I need to ask a few questions!

-Do jsawyer, the Weapon Retexture Project, and WMX (with the Arenovalis patch) play well together? I'd be fine leaving out WMX if not. I'm mostly concerned that some of the GRA-added weapons might be hard to differentiate from the normal versions, and suddenly weapon mods might look really goofy and bad since they never got added to WRP.

-Are Freeside Open/Strip Open pretty solidly recommended? I'm usually scared of things that dramatically change the landscape, but they sound really interesting and apparently work okay together.

-Where the hell do I get started with ENB? This question gets asked a lot, I'm sure, but I can't tell if there's any practical difference to using the injector version or the wrapper version, and how to import settings from all of these ENB series-thingies to work with the newest version of ENB that just came out.

-Also, what's the recommended weather mod to work with ENB stuff? Is NVSkies URWLified solid now? I remember avoiding it because I heard that it made crashes more prone on cell changes or something. I used Project Reality instead, which I always thought looked really great, but had a tendancy to cripple the poo poo out of my FPS whenever I touched the DLC areas. But, this is a new computer now, so maybe these issues are non-existent?

-Manual Reload looks like it finally got fixed for extended magazines and incorporates the FIDO fix. One of the coolest parts about waiting between playthroughs is seeing cool mods get updated. This isn't a question.

Thanks for any advice!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

potaties posted:

-Do jsawyer, the Weapon Retexture Project, and WMX (with the Arenovalis patch) play well together? I'd be fine leaving out WMX if not. I'm mostly concerned that some of the GRA-added weapons might be hard to differentiate from the normal versions, and suddenly weapon mods might look really goofy and bad since they never got added to WRP.
I don't know about the Rextexture Project, but jsawyer contains edits to weapon entries. So it's not compatible with WMX.
It's not anything gamebreaking though, you just won't see the changes made by whichever mod is loaded first. Using FNVEdit, you can easily make them compatible.

potaties posted:

-Are Freeside Open/Strip Open pretty solidly recommended?
Bethesda's Gamebryo isn't a really efficient engine and both those mods place a lot of extra strain on the engine that can lead to stuttering, slowdown, crashing and freezing if your system can't handle it. I'd test them before comitting to a playthrough. Just place both mods in your override, move your character over to New Vegas and see if your computer starts producing smoke.
They do make those areas look a lot better so it's worth a try.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

potaties posted:

On my last playthrough I used all three and it worked fine. The GRA stuff does look a tad poo poo if you're running WRP, though.

potaties posted:

-Are Freeside Open/Strip Open pretty solidly recommended? I'm usually scared of things that dramatically change the landscape, but they sound really interesting and apparently work okay together.

I like both of them, but they have pretty solidly tanked my FPS, and I don't think I would reinstall The Strip Open because my FPS is so bad with it. Of course, that's also while running my pretty intensive ENB profile.

potaties posted:

-Where the hell do I get started with ENB? This question gets asked a lot, I'm sure, but I can't tell if there's any practical difference to using the injector version or the wrapper version, and how to import settings from all of these ENB series-thingies to work with the newest version of ENB that just came out.

Just use the wrapper version. Always use the wrapper version. Also, to install ENB, just download the latest files from its website. Or an older version, if you want. See what it's like in game/how it effects your performance, and then if you want grab another preset and install it over the files you got from the website. Note that these are usually tied to specific versions of ENB. An ENB config for 1.08 won't work properly with 1.50 and vice versa.

potaties posted:

-Also, what's the recommended weather mod to work with ENB stuff? Is NVSkies URWLified solid now? I remember avoiding it because I heard that it made crashes more prone on cell changes or something. I used Project Reality instead, which I always thought looked really great, but had a tendancy to cripple the poo poo out of my FPS whenever I touched the DLC areas. But, this is a new computer now, so maybe these issues are non-existent?

Project Reality is technically superior to Nevada Skies in some ways, but it does run like poo poo and is less customizable in game. With ENB I think Nevada Skies actually works out better, and I would recommend it over Project Reality. Also, any version of ENB will work with any weather mod, but the results may not be what the author intended. Also also, just remember that editing weather mod lighting is actually really easy. I have no idea how to use the creation kit but I was able to set up my own version of Nevada Skies that has a much more blue ambient lighting outdoors.