Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Topoisomerase posted:

goin out to dinner with your girlfriend tonight in SF

teach her to play pond hockey then we can have a coed team next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
:siren:WARNING TO THOSE OF YOU WHO WERE THINKING OF PLAYING IN THE HUNTSVILLE TOURNEY:siren:

So some of my D3 buddies were thinking of putting a team together for the Bronze level, but that has fallen through. The rumor I have been hearing is that a lot of our D1 guys (former college players etc.) play in the Bronze level for the tourney. So gauge your skill levels accordingly.

I'm really disappointed to hear this, because HSV does a really awesome job of enforcing our skill levels within our league. I guess it's near impossible to do though for a tourney.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Communist Kangaroo and I went to our rink's "Novice Night" which is like an adult instructional pickup they have once per week. It's really fun cause it's about 25 minutes of edge work, shooting practice, and zone entry drills followed by a scrimmage.
Tonight, we were in the first set for some of the edge work stuff and got back with time to wait for everyone and screw around. What happens better than me falling right on top of my skate and spraining my ankle something fierce. Near 3 hours later and even with ice it's swollen up quite a bit. ANYWAYS, knowing how they do it in the NHL, what do I do? Skate to the bench muttering as many curse words as I can and tighten down my skates in case it's broken. Doesn't hurt so bad once I got on it for a little after but still can't put even 75% weight on it. Sucks cause I had some really good chances on net too. Some of these old guys were wondering what I was doing trying to get lovely goals by banking it off of them. Also, when CK shoots, DUCK. haha
One thing I did notice, and it may have been cause I wasn't up to full capacity, I felt a little lost at times with positioning. I was left winger for most of the time and noticed that I was getting caught too far up or back and over compensating for where my defensemen weren't covering. Should I have been hanging out more towards the top of the circle in our d-zone and then going harder to the net when I'm headed up?

Ah well, we'll see about x-rays/mri's in the morning. :v:

Hockey rules.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As a winger, you either want to cover the pointman on your side of the ice, or chill out in the high slot clogging lanes.. if you can do both at the same time, great. Unless your team is falling apart at the seams, you generally want to let the defense and your center fight for the puck. But don't be afraid to make a play if you get the opportunity.

At newbie levels of play, just finding an empty spot on the ice and keeping the opposition from getting clean lanes to the goal is good enough. People without much experience tend to flow like beercans in a truck bed (myself included), so the guy who is actually open and preventing shots is going to be the most useful dude on the ice.

If you can manage to read the play and predict where the puck is going next, even better.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
At my game last night the scoreboard had bulbs out or something and they couldn't put a 1 up in the tens place on the clock...so we played 6 8-minutes periods.

:love:Beer League:love:

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

So in the UK beer league hockey is full contact and teams aren't split up into skill levels which is fine but sometimes has unintentionally hilarious moments.

This weekend was one of those as I spent the majority of the game being forechecked very slowly by a girl who couldn't have been taller than 5'2 in skates. She would wobble up to me, I'd dish the puck off and then she would try and check me, bounce off and fall over, get up and complain to the ref. I think the highlight of this was during one of her tantrums trying to cheapshot me behind the play by attempting to push my skates from underneath me and her ending up falling on her face.

In the same game one of our newbies who has only been skating/playing for less than 3 months played his first game. His best moment being casually wobbling up to a guy on their team who had being gooning it up all game and dropping him on his rear end with a solid body check. The guy then lost his poo poo and then tried to cross check someone after the whistle earning himself a 10 minute unsportsmanlike penalty.

Beginner hockey best hockey.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I somehow managed to really hurt my knee while falling on my back, skating backwards. And it didn't help to keep pressure off that leg, it actually helped to keep that leg bearing weight.

I am supremely confident in my positioning, its just that I'm really out of shape and I can't get to where I need to be so I hang back/float a lot. I am pretty good at passing and OK at puck handling, but I can't shoot for poo poo. Safest place on the ice if I'm shooting is right in front of the net.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 19, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only remedy I've found for fixing a weak shot is to go shoot a million pucks. Preferably with no one around, because they'll invariably try to give you tips. Tips are good but eventually you get to a point where it's just a question of developing muscle memory, and dudes stopping to chat you up every 30 seconds is not conductive to that.

There's an outdoor rink ~15 minutes from me that I occasionally visit and (try to) shoot pucks until my arms wear out. I'm still pretty bad but the repetition does generate improvement. I should probably go more often than I do.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
We have 11 games left in the season and have already been statistically eliminated from the playoffs. Some of us have decided that it's worth continuing to play hard just to gently caress up other teams' playoff hopes, but others have decided it's not worth showing up anymore.

Last night we had 10 people and the other team may as well have had the entire North Korean army on skates. We let 4 in inside the first 10 minutes of the game and then decided to step it up, but couldn't come up with more than 1 goal. Their goalie would skate way up on the breakout, and for whatever reason we couldn't deke around him. Overall, the last 2 periods were really good hockey, but the ref kept complaining at both teams to watch out for him saying, "You guys need to watch your sticks, I've almost been hit 4 times now." One of the guys on the other team said something to the effect of, "Then get out of the way of the puck." and got a minor. hahaha loving refs.

I stuck with my conservative game, and didn't spend much time pinching in from the points in the offensive zone or really doing anything but trying to keep them from having the puck. I must not have performed my pre-game rituals correctly because I was -2 for the night.

I hate sports.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Doctor Butts posted:

I am supremely confident in my positioning, its just that I'm really out of shape and I can't get to where I need to be so I hang back/float a lot. I am pretty good at passing and OK at puck handling, but I can't shoot for poo poo. Safest place on the ice if I'm shooting is right in front of the net.

My teammates and coaches both have commented to me that I have good "hockey sense" going, and it's just right now my skill level hasn't caught up to where my mind is yet. So in a similiar sense, I am in the same boat. There are a lot of times where I think "I need to be over there for XXXX" and just can't get there in time.

Although my speed is definitely picking up. TURNS OUT KEEPING YOUR KNEES BENT WORKS! :haw:

delpheye posted:

"Then get out of the way of the puck." and got a minor. hahaha loving refs.

I understand I play D3, I understand we're just a bunch of hilarious clowns on the ice, but it really bothers me how a few refs can't be loving bothered to get out of the goddamned way of the puck. I get that they're being paid poo poo to ref a lovely game and have to make judgement calls as to whether that trip was really a trip or the guy just sucks that much. I really do understand why the refs reffing beer league (especially low skill beer league) are half assing it.

But Christ in heaven please at least TRY to get out of the way when we make a pass up the boards. :smith:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Best advice for improving your shot is to have Joe Sakic for a dad.

Other than that, yeah. Shoot a million pucks.

JetsGuy posted:

But Christ in heaven please at least TRY to get out of the way when we make a pass up the boards.

You sure it's the ref's fault? I had this problem a lot when I was starting out, many moons ago. I always thought the refs were out of position. Turns out I was just firing semi-no-look passes to where I thought my teammates should be. Sadly, there was no one there but the ref. This happens a lot when folks are used to wrapping the puck around the boards to clear (protip: don't do this).

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Refs are lazy. They stand around on the board by benches and bullshit with players as skaters are trying to get pucks into and out of zones. They get stuck in corners and block pucks. Eff refs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

delpheye posted:

Refs are lazy. They stand around on the board by benches and bullshit with players as skaters are trying to get pucks into and out of zones. They get stuck in corners and block pucks. Eff refs.

I've been making a point to shake hands with 'em after a game. :colbert:

They're just dudes out there trying to have fun too. When I think of all the morons acting like every game is an elimination game for the stanley cup finals, I wonder why any refs agree to show up for beer league games.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

delpheye posted:

We have 11 games left in the season and have already been statistically eliminated from the playoffs.

You need to move down 1-2 divisions or disband the team and start over to solve this problem. At no point should you be eliminated that early in a season. The dudes who are quitting with 11 games to go are dead weight anyways (who would waste that kind of money) but it's probably not fun for anyone in the league if you're eliminated that quickly.

delpheye posted:

Tell us more :allears:

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

I've been making a point to shake hands with 'em after a game. :colbert:

They're just dudes out there trying to have fun too. When I think of all the morons acting like every game is an elimination game for the stanley cup finals, I wonder why any refs agree to show up for beer league games.

They get like $40/game or something so there's gotta be more to it than just getting to skate more often. However, I still tell them thanks(manners, I have them) aside from a couple who are on some kind of zebra based power trip(it's a limited amount of manners).

sellouts posted:

You need to move down 1-2 divisions or disband the team and start over to solve this problem. At no point should you be eliminated that early in a season. The dudes who are quitting with 11 games to go are dead weight anyways (who would waste that kind of money) but it's probably not fun for anyone in the league if you're eliminated that quickly.

That's the thing, this season ends a 4 year playoff streak with 2 first place finishes as recently as last season with no personnel changes. We aren't playing out of our division, but the dead weight is totally bringing us down. It's a 30 game season and we have 4 wins. It's so pathetic. Only the top 4(out of like 13 or something) go to the playoffs so most teams are eliminated pretty quickly.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

delpheye posted:

I think this is a lot of overstatement. As I said, remember that the majority of beer league games are terrible, especially to people who actually know how to play hockey. I really don't blame refs at all for what goes on in games. Unless they are willfully letting their bros keep being assholes or something insane.

The only thing I was really complaining about was when a ref doesn't attempt to get out of the way.

Dangerllama posted:

You sure it's the ref's fault? I had this problem a lot when I was starting out, many moons ago. I always thought the refs were out of position. Turns out I was just firing semi-no-look passes to where I thought my teammates should be. Sadly, there was no one there but the ref. This happens a lot when folks are used to wrapping the puck around the boards to clear (protip: don't do this).

Again, I fully realize that especially in D3 we're all a bunch of idiots when it comes to p much all things in the game. It's hard to predict where the hell we're going to fire the puck for no reason. :v: So yeah, there are a lot of times where it's not the refs fault.

I guess my comment was mostly rooted in one particular game where the guy just stood there while people were fighting for possession, but he was right on top of them. Throughout the game, he'd get in the way of a puck getting knocked out of fights like that and didn't even attempt to lift his foot. It was frustrating.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

I think this is a lot of overstatement. As I said, remember that the majority of beer league games are terrible, especially to people who actually know how to play hockey. I really don't blame refs at all for what goes on in games. Unless they are willfully letting their bros keep being assholes or something insane.

The only thing I was really complaining about was when a ref doesn't attempt to get out of the way.

You're right, I am overstating it. I'm just angry at hockey right now. haha

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

delpheye posted:

You're right, I am overstating it. I'm just angry at hockey right now. haha

You're hardly the first person to get carried away in an internet post. :glomp:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Stepped onto the ice to take our first shot in the shootout last night, and one of my contacts immediately fell out of my left eye. I'm completely blind without them, but said gently caress it and took my shot anyway. Got the goalie down, put the puck right over him and rang it off the post.

I think in my last 8 or so shootouts, I've rang at least 6 of them off the post. It's pretty incredible how good I am at hitting posts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is your name Patrick Sharp by any chance?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Stepped onto the ice to take our first shot in the shootout last night, and one of my contacts immediately fell out of my left eye. I'm completely blind without them, but said gently caress it and took my shot anyway. Got the goalie down, put the puck right over him and rang it off the post.

I think in my last 8 or so shootouts, I've rang at least 6 of them off the post. It's pretty incredible how good I am at hitting posts.

For the first selection of the "S&P half ice game", I select Henrik Zetterberg.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
jeez where do you want us to go? You'll complain if we aren't close enough to the line to make the offsides call, you'll complain if we're where your dumb rear end is heaving the puck, you'll complain if we take our eyes off of the play and get out of position for a half second to get out of the way of your impotent attempt to clear the puck and someone lightly blows on you from behind and you fall down and we miss it....whaaat do you want? ;)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Pretty sure they want you in the offensive zone, pointing directly at the area under the netting.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Here's a few pics from the weekend. Lots more were taken with a teammates camera, but I have yet to get them. Will post them later. Stupid Photobucket resizing the panoramic shots. Those actually turned out really cool.

Ponds.

Rinks being prepared.

Beautiful day for pond hockey.

Pile of jersey-matching bumblebee sticks for sellouts.

Staying hydrated with PBR in between games. 19 o'clock on the right stuffing his face.

Your 0-4 pond hockey champions, Turgid State University. We ended up having a ~-60 goal differential over our 4 games. I'm the short dude on the left with the douchey amazing visor, and 19 o'clock is the tall dude 3rd from the right in the back. We were by far the tallest team there.

By our last game we ended up only losing by 3 goals and actually had the lead for a while. After playing pond, I will never complain about the ice at my local rink. The cracks in the pond were pretty nuts and made skating backwards pretty tough. Even though we got murdered, we had a blast and are thinking about going back next year already.

e: By the way, the tinted visor was amazing for the sunny days.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 20, 2013

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

that looks all kinds of awesome.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

After playing pond, I will never complain about the ice at my local rink. The cracks in the pond were pretty nuts and made skating backwards pretty tough. Even though we got murdered, we had a blast and are thinking about going back next year already.

e: By the way, the tinted visor was amazing for the sunny days.

The truth has been spoken.

Nice pics how many teams/rinks were there again?

Glad you had a good time. If you're like me next year the team you put together will go from 2 people in the thread to 6.

I really want to put together a 5v5 team for a tournament in Montreal next year but that will probably be too much. I just hope I can make lake placid again.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

The truth has been spoken.

Nice pics how many teams/rinks were there again?

Glad you had a good time. If you're like me next year the team you put together will go from 2 people in the thread to 6.

I really want to put together a 5v5 team for a tournament in Montreal next year but that will probably be too much. I just hope I can make lake placid again.

There were 105 teams across 4 divisions, but we were in the largest division which probably contained more than half the teams. 9 rinks and 8 of them were going in parallel while they "cleaned" the 9th off.

Apparently we became famous for being terrible. Right before our third game, the DJ starts saying something like "And over here on rink 1, they don't believe in playing D and have given up 90 goals already, Turgid State!" About 10 seconds after that, the game started and we scored the first goal. I did the PK Subban archer knee slide. Then we lost by 15. It owned.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Infamous is still famous!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It's been three weeks since I got back from Lake Placid and I'm still loving sick. What the goddamn hell kind of virus do you people have roaming around in your airports?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

Harris' Steak House and Benihana. :colbert:

Or if you're down by San Jose, St. John's Bar.

Man, haven't been to St Johns in ages. I realize this is more N/V thread chat, but us locals should get together for a game there if the Sharks make the playoffs and their schedule coincides with half price cheesesteak or burger night.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh yeah, here's another shot of us, minus 19 o'clock.

We were the first team to show up to check-in and first to crack the free PBRs. One of the girls working there snapped this pic of us and put us on their official Facebook page. I'm second from the right, unfortunately sans-visor.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

Oh yeah, here's another shot of us, minus 19 o'clock.

We were the first team to show up to check-in and first to crack the free PBRs. One of the girls working there snapped this pic of us and put us on their official Facebook page. I'm second from the right, unfortunately sans-visor.

Thanks to your avatar, I expected you to have a beard. Image ruined.

(Looks like an awesome time!!)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pleads posted:

It's been three weeks since I got back from Lake Placid and I'm still loving sick. What the goddamn hell kind of virus do you people have roaming around in your airports?

Blame Regina or wherever you connected. I have been healthy since the trip and we were in the same american airports!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Habibi posted:

Man, haven't been to St Johns in ages. I realize this is more N/V thread chat, but us locals should get together for a game there if the Sharks make the playoffs and their schedule coincides with half price cheesesteak or burger night.

I haven't been there since 2001. :smith:

I used to work in that area, and when the job got stressful my favorite thing to do was take a long lunch and pig out at St. John's. The burgers are the greasiest goddamn things on the planet and taste heavenly.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts posted:

Blame Regina or wherever you connected. I have been healthy since the trip and we were in the same american airports!

I went through Calgary; I lived there two decades and flew through the airport numerous times and never felt like this.S
It's your airports. You're just used to whatever horrendous MSG/HFCS-powered superbugs are being bred.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 20, 2013

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Pleads posted:

I went through Calgary; I lived there two decades and flew through the airport numerous times and never felt like this.

It's your airports. You're just used to whatever horrendous MSG/HFCP-powered superbugs are being bred.

No joke, big flu outbreak in the last couple weeks. It was more buttflu than noseflu, though.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I've been to a few pickup games here and its been great to get to play regularly (except last week, drat virus) again. One thing though, there is a crazy woman whose been at every skate. According to the banter in the locker room shes been to every single pickup game at the rink, no matter the time for the last month or so. She yells things out, and mutters constantly, saying nothing that makes any sense. Shes also very bad, can barely skate, and basically a pylon. Everyone has been ignoring her in the bench rotations running 6 on the ice with her. To make things worse she would rather hack, slash, and crosscheck you when you get near her. I guess she whacked one of the guys in the face last week. Last night he got near her again fighting for a loose puck. She raised her stick up and he shoved her away and she went sprawling like a sack of potatoes. I think she muttered something about killing him so there was speculation that she would be out in the parking lot with a gun or something after. Thankfully there weren't any hockey related shootings last night.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

Fingers McGee posted:

I've been to a few pickup games here and its been great to get to play regularly (except last week, drat virus) again. One thing though, there is a crazy woman whose been at every skate. According to the banter in the locker room shes been to every single pickup game at the rink, no matter the time for the last month or so. She yells things out, and mutters constantly, saying nothing that makes any sense. Shes also very bad, can barely skate, and basically a pylon. Everyone has been ignoring her in the bench rotations running 6 on the ice with her. To make things worse she would rather hack, slash, and crosscheck you when you get near her. I guess she whacked one of the guys in the face last week. Last night he got near her again fighting for a loose puck. She raised her stick up and he shoved her away and she went sprawling like a sack of potatoes. I think she muttered something about killing him so there was speculation that she would be out in the parking lot with a gun or something after. Thankfully there weren't any hockey related shootings last night.

Is that at Extreme? I've yet to do a pickup game so I haven't encountered the crazy lady.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
HZ looks like you guys had a blast while losing, which is what we did. :hfive:

sellouts posted:

Do this and I don't have to skate out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Pleads posted:

L sounded pretty terrible. I better not get whatever supervirus you guys have.