Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Obsurveyor posted:

OMG, my head just exploded! Thank you!

I still don't see how that plot point is incoherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
For the first half it fooled me into thinking it was a great movie. Then when that person gave the exposition about the aliens being a bioweapon and I realized we were supposed we were supposed to take him seriously I was completely disappointed. I know this isn't very cogent criticism but the movie ended up being about much less than I thought it would be.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

blackguy32 posted:

A lot of the answers people bring up about Prometheus can be found if you just pay attention. Yes, there are dumb characters in the movie, but they are also human and don't always have to be rational.

Also, JESUS CHRIST, can we stop referring to works of art as objectively terrible? They cannot be objectively terrible. Also, A:CM is incoherent because the developers decided to try to cram the story in between two movies and bringing back a character that doesn't really fit at all. They pretty much could have avoided all the problems they had if they decided to simply do it on another planet. Prometheus actually had the foresight to do that.

ACM couldn't be set on another planet, because if it were, how could they have all those sweet sweet references to Aliens? Aliens didn't take place on UD-121 after all, it was on LV-426!

Basically, keep in mind that ACM was written by an idiot and it all makes more sense.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
It seems the thought process with ACM was "More like the movie = More better", just like Prometheus was all about "More questions = More deep". And both managed to fool some people.

e: To be honest when first hearing about how excited they were to make all those Aliens references it kinda fooled me too. Who would expect that that's the only thing the game has going for itself?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Xenomrph, which book featured humans needing to get 'royal jelly' - and what purpose did it serve? I have a bunch of Mint alien novels and it would be nice to open their box without having to rummage too much.
Royal Jelly is basically Queen spit, and in terms of the Aliens as creatures it serves the same purpose real life royal jelly does - it makes new Queens.

It's been years since I read the novels in which it played a major role ('Aliens: Genocide', 'Aliens: Music of the Spears', and 'Aliens: Alien Harvest') but I recall it being used as a narcotic, a painkiller, and a reflex-enhancer depending on what you cut it with and how pure it was.

Batham posted:

Xenomorph will probably set the record straight on this, but I think that it was pretty well established even before Prometheus that the xeno's were some sort of Bioweapon to kill and terraform a planet.

Also, Prometheus wasn't dumb. It was okay, but neither great or bad :colbert:
The "expanded universe" actually specifically goes out of its way to be vague on the topic of Alien origins, going so far as to be intentionally contradictory (per instructions from FOX) in order to leave the door open for future movies to address the topic.

Also Ridley Scott has said that the Deacon (the Alien-ish creature from the end of Prometheus) isn't a proto-Alien, it's more of a side-cousin. He pointed out that while the movie takes place several decades before 'Alien', the derelict ship in 'Alien' is still crashed on LV-426 for millennia prior to the events of 'Prometheus', so the Aliens as we know them definitely exist before 'Prometheus'.

Incidentally we're getting an action figure of the Deacon and David in the near future! :v:

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I might be wrong but I remember in one of the books they had some kind of sonic device that could incapacitate Xenos.
Strong sonic waves mess them up, as do strong electromagnetic fields.

Frankly I think it'd be awesome if 'Aliens: Crucible' really did its homework about all the myriad comics, games, etc that have come out over the decades and managed to name-drop tons of poo poo just to see how many fans pick up on all of it. Like, give your characters myriad ways to avoid/neutralize Aliens that have varying degrees of effectiveness, or are situation-specific. Like, a portable sonic device to keep Aliens away or make them hesitate before attacking, but it obviously doesn't work so well in a vacuum.

Hell, I'd love to see a third-person shooter based on the Aliens comic book character Herk Mondo. He's basically an ex-Marine Alien-hunting mercenary with such a huge reputation that people just make up tall tales about him, and he doesn't do anything to dissuade them. Like, stories of him lugging around huge laser cannons and taking on Alien hives singlehandedly, poo poo like that. You could have the game be all stylized and have it be narrated by Herk (voiced by, say, Bruce Campbell), and have it be chock-full of over-the-top poo poo that really obviously isn't "true".
Alternately, maybe the game has two "arcs" to it, the stylized over-the-top "tall tale" depiction where you're just blasting your way through thousands of Aliens like an unstoppable badass, but then there's also the "here's what really happened" depiction where it's really dark and moody and the Aliens are actually lethal.

BadLlama posted:

Does anyone know how fast the ships FTL drive goes in the Aliens universe?
It varies from movie to movie. LV-426 orbits a gas giant that orbits Zeta 2 Reticuli. The Nostromo's itinerary (in 2122) says that it was going to take another 10 months to get from LV-426 to Earth. In 'Aliens', the Sulaco (in 2179) makes the same journey in about 2 weeks. In 'Alien Resurrection', the Auriga (in 2381) goes from just outside Pluto's orbit straight to Earth in like 2 hours, which is really fast.

Here's some fun astronomy-related Alien trivia, while it's on my mind:

- In 'Alien Resurrection', we see the Auriga go from outside Pluto's orbit, past Jupiter, and straight to Earth without passing the Sun. The next time those 3 planets will be in alignment like that in real life is late January, 2381, which is about 200 years after 'Aliens'/'Alien3' in 2179. Whether or not that was intentional on the part of the filmmakers, I don't know. (it probably wasn't)

- the "mission briefing" pack-in that comes with the Colonial Marines collector's edition name-drops that the name of the planet LV-426 orbits is "Calpamos". This name has no basis in anything else that I'm aware of, except for some fan-wiki stuff that I can only assume made it up. But hey, since the game references it, it's now canon I guess! :v:

Incidentally the game also legitimizes another long-standing fan theory - in 'Aliens' we see the crew roster of the Sulaco, and it lists all of the Marines by first initial and last name. Their first initials all match up with the first names of the actors playing them (W. Hudson, J. Vasquez, A. Apone, etc) except for Hicks, so the decades-old fan theory is that the Marines' names are the same as their actors' names. The movie doesn't confirm this, but Colonial Marines finally does. :eng101:

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

blackguy32 posted:

A lot of the answers people bring up about Prometheus can be found if you just pay attention. Yes, there are dumb characters in the movie, but they are also human and don't always have to be rational.

Of all the "That doesn't make sense" complaints I hear about Prometheus, easily a third of them are answered pretty clearly if you are halfway paying attention. Another third go unanswered either to preserve mystery or because the answers are less important than the question being raised. The movie runs into trouble with the remaining third though, because that chunk is made up of really bad and generally lazy writing.

Darko posted:

I think that Alien and Aliens take just as much thinking, just in different ways.

Aliens or Alien 3? Aliens was a fun action movie for sure, but it's pretty typical James Cameron leave you brain at the door type stuff. He has a gift for taking beat to death cliches and somehow making them entertaining, in spite of the fact that it's nothing that hasn't been done a million times before.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 21, 2013

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Here is the only video you need to watch on Promethus plot-holes by Red Letter Media because it is hilarious and they liked the movie anyway.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Frankenstyle posted:

Aliens or Alien 3? Aliens was a fun action movie for sure, but it's pretty typical James Cameron leave you brain at the door type stuff. He has a gift for taking beat to death cliches and somehow making them entertaining, in spite of the fact that it's nothing that hasn't been done a million times before.

Even though it's a dumb action movie or whatever, it expands the universe Alien started. This gave everyone something to latch their imagination on to and love as a universe instead of as just the good horror movie of Alien.

BulletRiddled
Jun 1, 2004

I survived Disaster Movie and all I got was this poorly cropped avatar

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Seems Cinema Discusso goons don't understand the difference between mystery and incoherence but can't say I'm shocked since it's the place that has a generally rosy view of the objectively terrible Speed Racer film. Defending a film penned by a guy who wrote for Lost (and wrote Cowboys and Aliens) and one who wrote Darkest Hour seems right up that terrible alley.

You and the other guy may not be aware but an earlier version of the film was far more coherent and lacked all the issues the final film has.

The original script worked better as a literal narrative, but the final script was a lot more interesting. There's nothing wrong with a movie bringing up an idea and not answering it, especially in a film like Prometheus that's about the futility of searching for answers.

I haven't seen Speed Racer, so I can't say much there.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Out of interest what is your take on A:CM?

I was mildly interested in it until all the reviews started coming out, now there's no way in hell I'm touching it. This thread got me to re-install AVP classic, though, so at least something good came of it.

Besides the horrible looking gameplay, the film nerd side of me is also angry because there's absolutely no reason for there to be a direct sequel to Aliens. As soon as the aliens stop representing something and just become a monster, they stop being interesting or even scary. The first AVP was fun in a "being in the movies" kind of way, but the Alien and Predator franchises have been rehashing themselves for over two decades now. If I want to play an alien shooting gallery there are already 3 AVP games, and there's absolutely no reason to make another film about people running from/shooting at xenos or predators because we already have 9 of those.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

BulletRiddled posted:

The original script worked better as a literal narrative, but the final script was a lot more interesting. There's nothing wrong with a movie bringing up an idea and not answering it, especially in a film like Prometheus that's about the futility of searching for answers.

Prometheus isn't incoherent because the Engineer goes berserk and sets a course to destroy Earth with no explanation - that's good mystery. People who don't like the movie probably enjoyed that, as I did, and "got" it. It didn't sail over their heads.

It's the goo and how nothing it does makes any sense and seems to have whatever characteristic the plot demands that is incoherent, stupid, and only a fool would take as "mysterious". Replacing it with eggs and the original script ideas would've made the movie a great deal stronger and better. Just because raising one question and not answering it is good and interesting (why did they create us/why does he try to destroy us) doesn't mean every "mystery" is any good or isn't lazy as hell writing (well need an action beat guess the black stuff that turned worms into snake things with acid blood sprayed acid and killed a guy oh wait he's a zombie and kills a bunch of crew members wait how does that same stuff just kill a guy but if he cums in his girlfriend she gets an alien squid in her stomach).

Lets! Get! Weird! fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 21, 2013

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

BulletRiddled posted:

I was mildly interested in it until all the reviews started coming out, now there's no way in hell I'm touching it. This thread got me to re-install AVP classic, though, so at least something good came of it.

Besides the horrible looking gameplay, the film nerd side of me is also angry because there's absolutely no reason for there to be a direct sequel to Aliens. As soon as the aliens stop representing something and just become a monster, they stop being interesting or even scary. The first AVP was fun in a "being in the movies" kind of way, but the Alien and Predator franchises have been rehashing themselves for over two decades now. If I want to play an alien shooting gallery there are already 3 AVP games, and there's absolutely no reason to make another film about people running from/shooting at xenos or predators because we already have 9 of those.

I agree with you broadly but to an extent A:CM and Prometheus tapped into a similar kind of fan desire, be it to retcon Alien3 or to explain the Xenomorph's origins. A:CM did retcon Alien3 whereas Prometheus didn't really explain the Xeno's origin, at least completely.

A:CM failed on a story level but I think more damning it failed on a gameplay level. Oh, the gameplay was bad, but by copying modern military shooters they used the wrong kind of gameplay entirely. Aliens is a Vietnam film about why America lost, MMSs are all about oo-rah jingoism like movies such as John Wayne's Green Berets which aim to explain why America should've won.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I like Promnetheus a lot more when I watched it than when I read people's comments on it. Although it does bug me that they declared Jesus to be an Engineer.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I enjoyed Prometheus, but I have only seen Alien as far as "films with 'Alien' in the name" goes.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Bruceski posted:

they declared Jesus to be an Engineer.

I assume Ridley Scott was just very very drunk when he did that interview. That whole idea totally invalidates all of the bits in Prometheus that were actually interesting or made any kind of sense.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Prometheus is one of those rare movies that just drives people nuts. The way it drove me nuts is how it felt a bit like ACM does - instead of going with a completely new narrative, new design, fresh slate, it opts to make references. "Oh look, it's something that looks like a xenomorph bursting out of something that looks like that dead dude from Alien, and there's a giant facehugger too!" I had no problem with the movie in any other way except for that, and it made the movie feel more like a spoof movie or a Family Guy episode than an actual stands-on-its-own science fiction film. If they had used new designs instead of going for references and that wishy-washy "Maybe it's a prequel maybe it isn't!" thing, I'd have probably loved it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Frankenstyle posted:

I assume Ridley Scott was just very very drunk when he did that interview. That whole idea totally invalidates all of the bits in Prometheus that were actually interesting or made any kind of sense.

I may be getting my sources mixed up, but didn't they say in the movie that "something happened 200 years ago to piss them off"?

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

PoshAlligator posted:

I enjoyed Prometheus, but I have only seen Alien as far as "films with 'Alien' in the name" goes.

Prometheus makes a lot more "sense" that way. I think people get too hung up on everything Cameron introduced in Aliens and people just sort of said "Yup, now this space monster is just a scary, but explainable, space bug." Prometheus takes the alien concept back to being an unexplainable monster. The Black Liquid is essentially just monster juice that affects everyone differently. I think a lot of people went into it expecting it to be a prequel to "Aliens," whereas I saw it as Scott taking his franchise back from Cameron.

Note: That isn't to imply any animosity between Scott and Cameron. As far as I'm aware, there isn't any, but both directors take a very different approach to how they portrayed the aliens.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Since everyone is thoroughly warned off the game at this point and the majority of the people in this thread probably have not played it nor should they want to, here's all the cutscenes and important bits in a series of videos so you can see the hilariously bad cutscenes and experience the sub-Cameron writing without having to play it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYF7ScReEzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXhDYfbij3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRmIIEY1mS8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMlA9cL6nOM

The final cutscene is so, so terrible

John Magnum posted:

Is Transformers also super cerebral because it has a ton of incomprehensible bullshit and all its principals behave really stupidly? Don't you get it?? THAT'S THE POINT!!
Yes, Transformers is indeed more than meets they eye...

your evil twin posted:

Here are some videos of last night's fun with Aliens vs Predator 2010. (I've got another 4 videos to upload as well!)

Here's our first game of Infestation. One player gets selected as an Alien, and anyone he kills gets turned into Aliens too. It starts slowly, but after the first kill at 1:30 things quickly escalate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgGeiQJKG7c

This one is a normal species deathmatch game that just happens to have one or two goons in it rather than being a full proper goon game. In it I'm trying to re-learn how to be an Alien.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2uwdqNTVos

Another match of Infestation. Amusingly the first marine death is is scored by gravity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnJtlVyLwDA

your evil twin posted:

My mind was blown when I learnt that FTL in the Aliens universe has reverse time dilation, so even though you are going super fast you need to be cryogenically preserved.

Some more videos of the AvP 2010 matches we did a couple of nights ago.

More of the "Infestation" game mode. OH GOD YOU'RE ALL LEAVING ME BEHIND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnJ2owGkptE

Some species team deathmatch, this time I'm a Marine. I do rather well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpbnVZzQ5f4
Thanks for all the videos of AVP 2010. After ACM those graphics don't look so bad.

blackguy32 posted:

To try to salvage some of this awful game. What are the best weapons to use for multiplayer and the best upgrades? What are the best skills?

The versus is so much bullshit. Also, whose idea was it to loving give outright upgrades to upper levels?
While Chickenheart already had the best/most tips, I'd say the Tactical Shotgun with the autofire upgrade makes it basically into the L4D autoshotty and very fun to use, and the SHARP rifle if you have it, while not the greatest, is a lot of fun basically due to being a gernade launcher with a ton of ammo. Also yeah the Pulse Rifle with laser sight and never ADSing makes it feel a lot more like proper Aliens.

And yeah, the marine upgrades are bullshit enough but at least you can grind them via SP/Coop. The alien upgrades force you to play aliens. I've had the most luck in Survivor mode for that.

your evil twin posted:

Hehe, nice video clips. And yeah, Colonial Marines is not a great Aliens singleplayer experience, but perfectly fine as a silly co-op game. Things get cramped in certain corridors but other than it works fine and is a barrel of laughs. And yeah the versus multiplayer has a pathetic number of maps but it's really quite fun as well. My favourite aspect is all the upgrades for aliens. People may say "marines are overpowered"... until they encounter a high level alien that can leap across the map, tear someone to pieces and then immediately jump directly onto the ceiling and zoom off down a corridor. ZOOOOM.

EDIT: Yep those are some nice tips from ChickenHeart.
Thanks. And yeah, tons of fun in it's badness. I guess you could say it's like Magicka. If only it were as cheap as Magicka. Maybe we could use an Aliens: Magicka game, come to think of it. Overhead and tons of friendly fire.

That it takes high level alien abilities which take a bunch of grinding to match the marines is part of the problem. I mean that some upgrades are straight up more health/speed shows just how unbalanced it is.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 21, 2013

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Bruceski posted:

I may be getting my sources mixed up, but didn't they say in the movie that "something happened 200 years ago to piss them off"?

2000 years, yeah. Also they said at the start that they used to come to Earth and get worshipped. I watched Lost for six years and Jesus being an Engineer is blatant by Damon Lindelof standards.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

Since everyone is thoroughly warned off the game at this point and the majority of the people in this thread probably have not played it nor should they want to,
But I still kinda want to, just not for $60 or even $30. The multiplayer looks like I could have some fun with it. Lord knows I've gotten way too many hilarious and awesome hours of multiplayer out of Mindjack, which everyone hated.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Using aliens as bioweapons also works if you assume they have crazy fast metabolisms and don't have anything like royal jelly. Drop a queen down, let the aliens eat everything, swing by several years later and have fun with your totally empty planet because all the xenos starved. For an entirely profit-driven enterprise that doesn't care too much about due diligence beforehand, it looks like a great idea.

I'm skipping Prometheus-chat because it won't end well. Suffice it to say that I think if you look really hard and torture coherence out of it, you can get some pretty reasonable rationalizations for everything, but it still features poor characterization and is really vague about a lot of things it shouldn't be. The only reason you get coherence from it is because there's so little to actually refute some of the suppositions, like, "The engineers have two competing/dualist cults, one life-through-death and the other death-through-life." And then it kind of works. Or, you can just go with "God is unknowable. And hates you." And call it a day, which works just as well.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Obsurveyor posted:

But I still kinda want to, just not for $60 or even $30. The multiplayer looks like I could have some fun with it. Lord knows I've gotten way too many hilarious and awesome hours of multiplayer out of Mindjack, which everyone hated.

Did enough people actually buy that game for the multiplayer to be feasible? I remember the idea being that you could invade other people's singleplayer games, which sounds hillarious, but would require people to actually own it and play it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

There seems to be nobody even playing this game. There are times where the multiplayer is dead and this is one week after release.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

your evil twin posted:

Did enough people actually buy that game for the multiplayer to be feasible? I remember the idea being that you could invade other people's singleplayer games, which sounds hillarious, but would require people to actually own it and play it.

Yeah, I bought it like a year after release and it still had new people coming in. I even got a couple more games in a few months ago but it was pretty dead. It's great to invade someone for awhile, fight them in their own game, then turn around help them for a bit if they couldn't get past you. Most didn't even immediately kick me and close off their game after the first losses.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Got AvP2010 back up and running, what multi game type do you guys mostly play?

Huge Spatula
Jul 15, 2001

I like the pole and the hole, and right now I'm as moist as a snack cake down there.
I was specifically really disappointed by the derelict representation in ACM. I thought it was established that the derelict ship did carry the xeno species but there was also a cave beneath the derelict where the queen produced her eggs. As opposed to the derelict just being a giant room with some eggs and a tiny pilot room, which I thought was really boring. I'm aware that in the original Alien script the derelict crashes on top of a pyramid, and the xenos actually come from within the pyramid in the ship (this ultimately got scrapped) but Kane still refers to the giant egg chamber as a cave as he is descending. Maybe Xenomrph could chime in on this if I am remembering incorrectly.

Also, for the Prometheus debate, I do like that Prometheus brought back some mystery to the alien creatures themselves. Aliens is one of my favorite movies, but I like Alien more because in Alien the creature's motivations and intelligence are entirely a mystery. They aren't just mindless bugs like they are in Aliens. Originally, Alien was going to end with the xeno killing Ripley then contacting a human colony using Ripley's voice to find out where it could kill more. Prometheus made the aliens feel a little less explainable and for me that was a good thing.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The bunker having destructible breaches in that one AvP Gold MP level will forever be the most terrifying instant of my life.

KatMan911
Jan 21, 2002
CHEAP FUCKASS. I HAVE NO COMPASSION. IGNORE ME. I AM WORTHLESS.

blackguy32 posted:

Has anyone noticed Hudson's corpse in this game? I thought I had taken a screenshot of it, but I guess it didn't work.
What-what-what? Where, which level? I thought I've checked every nook and cranny of the maps.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Ahh, good times. We ought to do it again sometime.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

KatMan911 posted:

What-what-what? Where, which level? I thought I've checked every nook and cranny of the maps.

You can't really miss him. But I can't remember what level it is either. I want to say that it is just before you meet the blind toilet paper aliens in the sewer.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I've never watched Prometheus, but going off this discussion so far it's about the worst people in their respective fields stumbling around a cave and then finding out jesus was an alien. Also its very mysterious and deep.

Has Randy tweeted any more funny things, or has he managed to block everyone?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I feel like Randy just got the biggest reprieve ever..Blizzard announced D3 for the PS3/4 which basically confirms suspicions that the game was originally made for a console even though Blizzard denied it for so long.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Photex posted:

I feel like Randy just got the biggest reprieve ever..Blizzard announced D3 for the PS3/4 which basically confirms suspicions that the game was originally made for a console even though Blizzard denied it for so long.

I'm not sure "originally made for" is the same as "adaptable to." If it were would they have sat on it for a year?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Photex posted:

Great thing is, people on the Internet can and will bitch about multiple things at the same time. Keep the hot irons applied to Randy's feet!

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Photex posted:

The thing is that the new consoles are more than powerful enough to run the piss out of Diablo 3. It's not a particularly intense game graphically.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Any word how the couch co-op is for the Xbox version of this game? Does playing it through with a friend help alleviate some of the awfulness/make it more fun?

Reading this thread has rekindled an interest in Aliens I haven't really indulged in for years. I'm really tempted to buy it, but I think I'd better wait till it's in the bargain bin so I'm not completely disappointed.

To tide me over I just ordered Aliens Infestation for the DS and AVP2010 for the 360, which I ignored at the time of it's release due to the bad press.

It's funny, I must be living under a tree. Until recently, I never actually realized this game was scheduled to be re-released. I remember being excited for it on the original Xbox, way back in 2002 or something, then disappointed when I heard it was cancelled. I hadn't heard anything since.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Isometric Bacon posted:

Any word how the couch co-op is for the Xbox version of this game? Does playing it through with a friend help alleviate some of the awfulness/make it more fun?

From what I can tell the unintentionally hilarious parts are actually more unintentionally hilarious.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Giggily posted:

From what I can tell the unintentionally hilarious parts are actually more unintentionally hilarious.

Haha, I was hoping that might be the case. I'll just have to find someone who's willing to put up with it with me.

It's quite interesting looking at the circa-2002 PS2 version of the game. I guess it's easy to see why that one was cancelled.

http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/15/aliens-colonial-marine-cancelled/

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

I like how this has degenerated into a heated debate over the merits of Ridley Scott and Prometheus and whether or not an alien was a side-cousin or a progenitor or whether an animal behavior expert would logically ignore all behavioral warning signs displayed by a potentially dangerous new creature thus leading to his demise because he was stressed...

On topic, I was curious about this game, because I'm pretty sure the box managed to find some quote suggesting "it's the best Aliens game since the last Aliens game!" Will be interested to see if the multiplayer hangs on at all.

In the meantime, we are ignoring the original best-worst Aliens-inspired game, "Dark Seed."

I was way into this game when I played it on my parents' old Mac. The art direction was awesome, but the game itself was one of the worst offenders of all the faults attributed to early point-and-clicks. Required items were most often an obscure pixel hunt, and if you didn't find them in the correct sequence, you would get stuck and die at certain points. Meaning if you hadn't created multiple saves, you had to start the whole game over.

Example: In the very first room of the game (your bedroom), there's a coat in the closet. You must click on the pocket of the coat, not once, not twice, but FOUR times before the character finds a paperclip in it. If you do not find this paperclip, you will, much later, get locked in a prison cell with no means of picking the lock and consequently die. There is no way around this, and you will have to start from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009

Isometric Bacon posted:

Reading this thread has rekindled an interest in Aliens I haven't really indulged in for years. I'm really tempted to buy it, but I think I'd better wait till it's in the bargain bin so I'm not completely disappointed.

To tide me over I just ordered Aliens Infestation for the DS and AVP2010 for the 360, which I ignored at the time of it's release due to the bad press.

It's funny, I must be living under a tree. Until recently, I never actually realized this game was scheduled to be re-released. I remember being excited for it on the original Xbox, way back in 2002 or something, then disappointed when I heard it was cancelled. I hadn't heard anything since.

I played the game split-screen with my boyfriend, it was on the PS3 but the same noise should apply. It works just fine, your vision it smaller of course and it looks even worse (if you can play the PS3 version instead, do that. It's not good but nowhere near as bad as the xbox one.) but it's functional. Just make sure player 2 has a dedicated profile, or else none of the level ups will track.

Granted it may not anyway, I was player 2 and wasn't allowed to use most of my weapons even at level 20 for some reason. It sucked but it's not like I was using anything but my pistols anyway.

• Locked thread