Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

please respond posted:

Yeah I suppose it is, I wish I would have realized this. I just assumed monitor technology would have advanced more I guess, this is a definite step down.

It would certainly be easier to tell if we had the model numbers. For all we know your Dell monitor is a TN too and just set to a warmer profile. And most monitors come with the brightness set to burn your eyeballs out for some loving reason, turn the brightness down and set the monitor's color temperature closer to 6500K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

EightBit posted:

It would certainly be easier to tell if we had the model numbers. For all we know your Dell monitor is a TN too and just set to a warmer profile. And most monitors come with the brightness set to burn your eyeballs out for some loving reason, turn the brightness down and set the monitor's color temperature closer to 6500K.

Ok the Dell is a 2005fpw and the Asus is VN247h-p. I think the viewing angles are really bad on this new one too, depending on how I sit it looks different.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
The 2005fpw has a Super IPS panel. The ASUS has a TN panel. The OP goes into detail about the different panel types.

nazutul
Jul 12, 2006
Lemme tell you something, boy
I'm sure this has been talked about already, but I tried to look through and see and didn't find anything.

Overnight, my monitor, which is a Gateway of some kind, seems to have forgotten its normal resolution and will only let me choose 1064x768 or 800x600. It doesn't even have any other options! My other monitor is working normally, soooo I'm guessing the first monitor is trashed?

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

nazutul posted:

I'm sure this has been talked about already, but I tried to look through and see and didn't find anything.

Overnight, my monitor, which is a Gateway of some kind, seems to have forgotten its normal resolution and will only let me choose 1064x768 or 800x600. It doesn't even have any other options! My other monitor is working normally, soooo I'm guessing the first monitor is trashed?

Silly question, but have you tried swapping the cable? It could be a damaged pin causing problems with the EDID.

nazutul
Jul 12, 2006
Lemme tell you something, boy
I ended up losing my patience and taking it to a friend's house to get it all figured out. As soon as I get it set up and loaded up, the problem completely disappeared. It is a mystery..

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
So I just bought a cheap Dell E series 23" led LCD screen at the local Micro Center. It was on sale for $139 and it looked good. Bu the one I got has a bright spot of what seems is a cluster of pixels, maybe 3mm in length by 1mm in width. anyway, I would not mind this if it was near the edge somewhere, but its right in the middle of the screen. I know I can just return this thing and get another but its a pretty long drive that i would like to avoid. Have any of you fixed something like this with some of the online or installed programs that are supposed to fix stuck pixels? Or should i just bite the bullet, fill up my car with gas and return the thing?

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The 2005fpw has a Super IPS panel. The ASUS has a TN panel. The OP goes into detail about the different panel types.

Also, the Dell's backlight is probably pretty worn out by now, which would contribute to it looking much warmer than the Asus.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

It's costing me $13 to ship the Asus back to newegg and I ordered the U2312HM instead. Lesson learned.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Would getting 5 of these work for hooking up 5 Korean 27" 2560x1600 monitors without scalers to a Radeon 7870 with 6 mini DisplayPorts?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131474

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
You linked the card by mistake, I think. You need DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapters, which should cost about $100-$120 apiece. The adapters are pretty clear about labeling what they are.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Factory Factory posted:

You linked the card by mistake, I think. You need DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapters, which should cost about $100-$120 apiece. The adapters are pretty clear about labeling what they are.

Haha, yeah; I meant to link to this miniDP to dual link DVI adapter:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812607014

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
You can get the Korean monitors with Displayports now. They're about $100 more... but if you're spending $120/monitor on adaptors it makes sense.

Actually, the Microcenter monitor has one and is probably an even better deal after the Korean price increases: http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

evensevenone posted:

You can get the Korean monitors with Displayports now. They're about $100 more... but if you're spending $120/monitor on adaptors it makes sense.

Actually, the Microcenter monitor has one and is probably an even better deal after the Korean price increases: http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor

HAs anyone actually gotten one of these microcenter models and can dissuade me from spending like, two or three times that price on 2 u2713s?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I need some advice guys.

Some time ago I got an ASUS VG236H after reading this thread. Only I did not really read much about it and didn't realize this monitor was of a glossy finish (i.e. it becomes a mirror if there is any sunlight in the room), which is fine if you are in the basement but it's not my case.
So basically I'm looking for a similar monitor mainly for gaming but with an anti-glare finish instead. Any recommendation?

I guess my choice is Dell U2312HM basically ? Can anyone tell me if in a room with quite a bit of light it will be fine?

Le0 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 24, 2013

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Ramadu posted:

HAs anyone actually gotten one of these microcenter models and can dissuade me from spending like, two or three times that price on 2 u2713s?

I am typing on one of the auria models from Micro Center right now, and it's awesome. Amazing. Just make sure you have the GPU power to drive it for gaming.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Le0 posted:

I guess my choice is Dell U2312HM basically ? Can anyone tell me if in a room with quite a bit of light it will be fine?
The U2312HM is certainly a good monitor, and has a fairly aggressive AG coating, which will do a lot to cut down reflections. I know a bunch of people in this thread are anti-AG believers, but like you, my monitors all live above-ground and I've found that the coatings Dell goes with work pretty well. That said, having direct sun light on them is still problematic--not for reflections, but because it tends to wash out the screen and make it look lovely. So even with a matte screen, you should be looking to see how you can minimize the amount of direct lighting on the screens. They're fine with reflected/ambient light though, and I've got a roughly 500W light about 6' from a U2410 (similar AG coating) and it's no problem at all. Just keep 'em out of the sun and you'll be ok.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I think the only alternative to a U2312HM is the Asus PA238Q but it's about £70 more here and might not even be better. Plus you can get a U2412M for about £180-200. Some places are selling U2413's now but they're £480. What could they have possibly changed that makes them over £200 more?

Could also mean U2412s/U2312HMs might be getting discontinued soon. I'd like to get a U23 but I'm not going to buy another screen until this almost 6 years old Samsung 226BW stops working. Hard to imagine I paid £280 for this dumpy piece of TN poo poo.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 24, 2013

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

madsushi posted:

I am typing on one of the auria models from Micro Center right now, and it's awesome. Amazing. Just make sure you have the GPU power to drive it for gaming.

Well I've got a gtx 570 so I'm pretty sure I can drive 2 of them mostly for doing web work and maybe some gaming on one. Thanks for the vote of confidence and I'll prick one up soon.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I think the only alternative to a U2312HM is the Asus PA238Q but it's about £70 more here and might not even be better. Plus you can get a U2412M for about £180-200. Some places are selling U2413's now but they're £480. What could they have possibly changed that makes them over £200 more?

Could also mean U2412s/U2312HMs might be getting discontinued soon. I'd like to get a U23 but I'm not going to buy another screen until this almost 6 years old Samsung 226BW stops working. Hard to imagine I paid £280 for this dumpy piece of TN poo poo.

It looks like the U2413 is a replacement for the U2410, while the U2412 will continue to exist as a cheaper option for people who don't need a wide gamut monitor.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Apologies if it's already been posted, but Microcenter has the U2312HM for $179 with either free in-store pickup or $17 shipping.

I've already reserved one, but I'm going to need a cable to connect it to my 2011 Macbook Pro - should I go with miniDP-to-DP, or miniDP-to-DVI? I'm having a tough time finding the former on Amazon, but it seems like it's a better option.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

surrender posted:

I'm having a tough time finding the former on Amazon, but it seems like it's a better option.
How about this one?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

surrender posted:

Apologies if it's already been posted, but Microcenter has the U2312HM for $179 with either free in-store pickup or $17 shipping.

I've already reserved one, but I'm going to need a cable to connect it to my 2011 Macbook Pro - should I go with miniDP-to-DP, or miniDP-to-DVI? I'm having a tough time finding the former on Amazon, but it seems like it's a better option.

1) Doesn't matter.

2) monoprice.com. You're welcome.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

deichkind42 posted:

Got one of these today. For the price the panel is amazing. Really nice colours, and prad.de (germanys monitor-sperg-site par excellance) even mentioned in their review the color accuracy is good enough for amateur photo editing without really needing to be calibrated. That's quite impressive for a 140 € 23" display. Reaction time seems good enough so far, as well as black levels.

HOWEVER: The included stand may be too wobbly unless the desk you place the monitor on is rather heavy. If that's an issue maybe get the 235 which is like 50 bux more and has a better stand. Both monitors can be put on vesa-mounts if needed, so that's an option too.

Edit: And every time you turn it on it shows you how many trees the eco-function saved. :v:

Thanks for your comments! I got one too, albeit the 235v and it's freaking awesome! I got mine for $179AUD, it was only :10bux: more than the 234. I definitely love IPS compared to my old TN.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Guni posted:

Thanks for your comments! I got one too, albeit the 235v and it's freaking awesome! I got mine for $179AUD, it was only :10bux: more than the 234. I definitely love IPS compared to my old TN.

I hate to double post, but this is an actual question! When I click on a link in IE/open a tab, no matter which monitor it is on (the above mentioned LG IPS235V or my older ViewSonic) any other program briefly flashes. Regardless of if it's on one monitor or even the same monitor. For example I have IE open right now and a calculator on the other screen and when I go to open a link the calculator will flash black briefly. This also happened before when I was playing BF3 (not related to IE, but the same problem) where I was Alt+Tabbing so I could look at something else.

Any ideas?

Edit: I'm running one monitor (the ViewSonic) off HDMI and the other (the LG) off DVI, both of which are plugged into a Sapphire HD7870GHZ

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
That sounds like a video card issue. In that you have a card that's "factory overclocked" it may be worthwhile dropping into the control panel and underclocking it a little bit and seeing if that helps.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I just resurrected an old machine as a media centre to plug into a cheap, crap LCD TV in my living room. The TV manual says the native res is 1366 x 768, but Windows is recommending 1280 x 720. Any thoughts on why the disparity, and which I should use? Picture seems to look clearer at the res Windows is recommending, although it's a little fuzzy on either. Also at the native res I seem to be losing a little off the sides of the screen, and I can't find an overscan settings in the TV menus.

I think I'm answering my own question here.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

chippy posted:

I just resurrected an old machine as a media centre to plug into a cheap, crap LCD TV in my living room. The TV manual says the native res is 1366 x 768, but Windows is recommending 1280 x 720. Any thoughts on why the disparity, and which I should use? Picture seems to look clearer at the res Windows is recommending, although it's a little fuzzy on either. Also at the native res I seem to be losing a little off the sides of the screen, and I can't find an overscan settings in the TV menus.

I think I'm answering my own question here.

I had the same issue with a crap no name TV, use what looks best and don't worry too much about it. When I got a brand new Sony it worked perfectly. Cheap sets really don't care about the VGA input it seems.

David Mountford
Feb 16, 2012

Ramadu posted:

Here's my initial, first impression feedback on the Aurias, which I picked up a few of at Microcenter today.
-Out of the box, all three of them are/appear to be perfect in terms of stuck & dead pixels.
-Calibration isn't stellar, from what I've heard, and is dramatically improved by manually tuning. Regardless, the picture quality out of the box is great.
-The anti-glare coating is on all three screen & it is a little heavy, but it doesn't distract/diminish my enjoyment of using the displays. If you're bold & really dislike the anti-glare coating, it's possible to disassemble the screen and remove it yourself.
-I haven't tried overclocking any of them yet, so they're just running @ the stock 60Hz. I don't expect to see any really good response to the overclock, but I'm going to attempt it anyway.
-They look vastly superior to the two TN panels I had on my desk earlier. Vastly. The 1440p resolution is just tremendous as well.

I can't provide any side by side comparison/experiences with the 27" Dell Ultrasharps, but for $400/ea, I'd have a hard time thinking it looks twice or so as good as this display. Your mileage may vary based on how demanding you are of color fidelity, etc. I believe it can do 100% of sRGB and 85% or 90% of Adobe RGB. If you plan on using them for anything besides very color-sensitive/refresh sensitive stuff, I'd guess you'd be perfectly satisfied. Doing work & projects on that much display space definitely feels a lot easier. Very infrequently do I need to toggle/open+close my windows, I can just re-size and always have room for more. There's a really crummy cell phone shot of the three displays on my desk in the post your actual desktop thread if you're interested in seeing how the bezels look & occupy a desk like that. (For reference, the length of the desk is 63~" and it's an Ikea Galant.)

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
Has anyone else noticed that the U2312HM has a ridiculously warm profile compared to earlier Dell monitors? Took me quite a bit of dicking around with the RGB controls to get it to be like my U2212HM. The 21 inch Dell model is much 'whiter' than the 23 inch one, and is very noticeable when using the menus.

That aside, highly recommend both. Fantastic for gaming, design, and coding.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

David Mountford posted:

Here's my initial, first impression feedback on the Aurias, which I picked up a few of at Microcenter today.
-Out of the box, all three of them are/appear to be perfect in terms of stuck & dead pixels.
-Calibration isn't stellar, from what I've heard, and is dramatically improved by manually tuning. Regardless, the picture quality out of the box is great.
-The anti-glare coating is on all three screen & it is a little heavy, but it doesn't distract/diminish my enjoyment of using the displays. If you're bold & really dislike the anti-glare coating, it's possible to disassemble the screen and remove it yourself.
-I haven't tried overclocking any of them yet, so they're just running @ the stock 60Hz. I don't expect to see any really good response to the overclock, but I'm going to attempt it anyway.
-They look vastly superior to the two TN panels I had on my desk earlier. Vastly. The 1440p resolution is just tremendous as well.

I can't provide any side by side comparison/experiences with the 27" Dell Ultrasharps, but for $400/ea, I'd have a hard time thinking it looks twice or so as good as this display. Your mileage may vary based on how demanding you are of color fidelity, etc. I believe it can do 100% of sRGB and 85% or 90% of Adobe RGB. If you plan on using them for anything besides very color-sensitive/refresh sensitive stuff, I'd guess you'd be perfectly satisfied. Doing work & projects on that much display space definitely feels a lot easier. Very infrequently do I need to toggle/open+close my windows, I can just re-size and always have room for more. There's a really crummy cell phone shot of the three displays on my desk in the post your actual desktop thread if you're interested in seeing how the bezels look & occupy a desk like that. (For reference, the length of the desk is 63~" and it's an Ikea Galant.)

Yeah I actually saw your post in that thread today and I'll probably pick up 2 of them. It does hurt to spend 80050 on anything but I'm living in the 1680x1050 dark ages so anything will be a step up. How bad are the stands though? That was my only real concern.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Just got my U2312HM to replace that Asus TN panel and its a huge difference, looks nice.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Just ordered a U2312HM ! Hope it gets here soon :eng101:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

PirateDentist posted:

I had the same issue with a crap no name TV, use what looks best and don't worry too much about it. When I got a brand new Sony it worked perfectly. Cheap sets really don't care about the VGA input it seems.

Cheers for that, that's what I'm gonna go with.

Incidentally, while I'm here - the card's an 8800 GTX and I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable to plug it into the HDMI input on the telly. I'm getting a huge amount of horrible white noise out of the telly - the same sort of noise you get if you plug speakers into a crappy badly shielded onboard soundcard and turn them up really loud, but MUCH louder. I've ended up having to just mute the TV and plug speakers into the computer separately. Anyone know why this might be? How on earth does a digital audio signal end up with this sort of interference? I'm not even sure an 8800 GTX can send sound over DVI, and the computer is certainly not sent to use it as a sound device, so I have no idea where it's coming from.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

madsushi posted:

I know the response time is meaningless on the specs, so would you be able to tell me if you notice any ghosting with it? Also, I have a GTX 660Ti; is that sufficient to game at 2550, and is there a down side to having the video card downscale the resolution in game to 1920?

edit: gently caress, didn't realize they didn't ship to Canada.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

flashman posted:

I know the response time is meaningless on the specs, so would you be able to tell me if you notice any ghosting with it? Also, I have a GTX 660Ti; is that sufficient to game at 2550, and is there a down side to having the video card downscale the resolution in game to 1920?

You won't be happy with less than a 670.

Scaling down to 1920x on a 2560x monitor will make things look blurry - try taking a 1920x wallpaper and scaling it up to 2560x in Paint.Net to get a good example of this.

Scaling down to 1280x could work, since it'll be a perfect 1:2 render target, but in this case a GTX 660 Ti will be mostly going to waste.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You won't be happy with less than a 670.

Scaling down to 1920x on a 2560x monitor will make things look blurry - try taking a 1920x wallpaper and scaling it up to 2560x in Paint.Net to get a good example of this.

Scaling down to 1280x could work, since it'll be a perfect 1:2 render target, but in this case a GTX 660 Ti will be mostly going to waste.
A 660Ti should be fine as long as you don't crank the settings to the max.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/647
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 2560x1600 - Ultra Quality + 4xMSAA/16xAF: 68.8fps

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

flashman posted:

I was worried about ghosting and the like, but it's been amazing. I play all sorts of games (FPS, RTS, MMO) and they all look great.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like the card can handle current games decently but might struggle in future. I might spring for it anyway as the monitor is something that can last through a couple builds, now if I could only find a Canadian retailer with the same decent price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

madsushi posted:

I was worried about ghosting and the like, but it's been amazing. I play all sorts of games (FPS, RTS, MMO) and they all look great.

I think panel technology has come far enough now that this will probably never be an issue. A 6ms IPS most likely has less ghosting than a 2ms TN from a few years ago.