Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I didn't even know side saddle was a video game thing. I play male characters because they are ripped like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Buhbuhj posted:

Side saddles are how ladies avoid showing their lady parts. Let's just forget that when I run forward with my Castanic she's constantly flashing her panties.

I always thought it was just a way to ride while in a dress. Since the only alternative would be hiking the dress up over your hips, not exactly the ladylike option. Although since tera armor all comes from a lingerie catalog, it seems like they would be fine with any excuse to lift your skirt.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I like side saddle in this game. However, in actual practice, the horse never gallops because you can't really go fast in side saddle. In fact, it was very common for the horse to be walked by someone else while the woman was riding. So it technically makes no sense in TERA, but I don't really care. It is fantasy, it's different, and I appreciate little things like that which distinguish sex in MMOs.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Is there an actual noticable speed difference between the 290 vanarch and the suite of 280-speed mounts? Someone using the default level 11 mount is obvious (and mockable) but that boring blue founder mount doesn't seem to get left behind when traveling.

Also, there's no mouselook while going in the same direction key, is there? I ask because it was only last night I found out the secret 'preview outfit look' combo button. If there is, it's not well known, because everyone I see zigzags all over the place.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

BobTheJanitor posted:

I always thought it was just a way to ride while in a dress. Since the only alternative would be hiking the dress up over your hips, not exactly the ladylike option. Although since tera armor all comes from a lingerie catalog, it seems like they would be fine with any excuse to lift your skirt.
Or, ironically, you might be the little-est race (Elin) where apparently their dresses, be it cloth, leather or plate metal, don't have any parts on the hips. Though you can: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culottes

I still think plate metal dresses beat plate metal bikinis, though the High Elf T13/14 plate looks nice (wings !!)

Harik posted:

Is there an actual noticable speed difference between the 290 vanarch and the suite of 280-speed mounts? Someone using the default level 11 mount is obvious (and mockable) but that boring blue founder mount doesn't seem to get left behind when traveling.

If the two people are turning here and there, no. But if you're both zipping along a nice open area in a straight line, it's discernible.

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 20, 2013

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Alavaria posted:

If the two people are turning here and there, no. But if you're both zipping along a nice open area in a straight line, it's discernible.

I'm going to infer from the non-response to the second half of my question that no, the developers didn't see the need to grace us with the ability to look somewhere without running towards it.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

So I decided to try that out of bounds trick, there is pretty easy to spot section of the wall surrounding SM you can hop over (and you CAN get back in the normal area from a different spot). After running under water for a while, you come to a ledge where the map just seems to end. I jumped down and after spending about 3 minutes hitting jump, watching my character fall for ~15-20 seconds and repeating, I eventually landed at the bottom of the map where you cant jump or use any skills, not even summon your mount. I hit Unstuck and got sent to Cutthroat Harbor.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Demicol posted:

So I decided to try that out of bounds trick, there is pretty easy to spot section of the wall surrounding SM you can hop over (and you CAN get back in the normal area from a different spot). After running under water for a while, you come to a ledge where the map just seems to end. I jumped down and after spending about 3 minutes hitting jump, watching my character fall for ~15-20 seconds and repeating, I eventually landed at the bottom of the map where you cant jump or use any skills, not even summon your mount. I hit Unstuck and got sent to Cutthroat Harbor.

Well, mystery solved I guess. That's a pretty forgiving system, really. In WoW if you managed to get to the edge of the map and try to jump out, you would get stuck floating in mid air and that would be that. You'd have to get summoned out or leave the instance, if you were in one, or you'd be stuck there forever. Or if you ever fell through the world you would just fall a long way and then take massive damage and probably have to res from the spirit healer since there was no way to get back to your body.

Getting out of the map in games has always been one of my favorite silly amusements. I used to do it all the time in WoW until they fixed cliff jumping. There's always the vague sense of danger, since you know this space isn't really designed for characters to be running around in. The idea that at any second you could fall right through what appears to be solid ground keeps things interesting. I found another spot to the... east? I think? of a desert zone (wish I had a map to check right now, sorry to be vague) where I was able to get over a hill that looked like it led to another big empty zone. I didn't have time to fool with it then, but I may go back and give it a try later.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

If I ever made an MMO, i'd make it so if you were roaming an area you shouldn't be able to get to, there's just horrific creatures that will come out of the ground/ocean and eat your character.

Every time i'm in a zone with nothing in I feel like this is about to happen. It's something about being where you're not meant to be, and as a newbie to TERA, I didn't know if it was a common thing or not.

How amazing would it be to just have the ground explode around you as your character gets snared, and the creepiest, most terrifying thing you can think of emerges, moves slowly towards you, wraps it's arms around you and pulls you into it's mouth. That would freak me the gently caress out haha.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Thievery posted:

If I ever made an MMO, i'd make it so if you were roaming an area you shouldn't be able to get to, there's just horrific creatures that will come out of the ground/ocean and eat your character.

Every time i'm in a zone with nothing in I feel like this is about to happen. It's something about being where you're not meant to be, and as a newbie to TERA, I didn't know if it was a common thing or not.

How amazing would it be to just have the ground explode around you as your character gets snared, and the creepiest, most terrifying thing you can think of emerges, moves slowly towards you, wraps it's arms around you and pulls you into it's mouth. That would freak me the gently caress out haha.

It should only happen 1/10000 times and as it happens an ominous voice should whisper 'no one will ever believe you...'

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Harik posted:

I'm going to infer from the non-response to the second half of my question that no, the developers didn't see the need to grace us with the ability to look somewhere without running towards it.
Ironically, you can.

Start running. While holding down "w", press enter. Now you can let go of "w", then press enter again to exit the chat. Your character will continue to run, but you can now move the camera independently.

I do this all the time, yes.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

Ugh, are there any mounts besides cash shop/CE lion that my slutty elf won't ride side saddle? Hate that, but probably stuck with horsies until 60 aren't I? :(
There's the golden throne thing, is that side saddle as well?

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

BobTheJanitor posted:

Getting out of the map in games has always been one of my favorite silly amusements. I used to do it all the time in WoW until they fixed cliff jumping. There's always the vague sense of danger, since you know this space isn't really designed for characters to be running around in. The idea that at any second you could fall right through what appears to be solid ground keeps things interesting. I found another spot to the... east? I think? of a desert zone (wish I had a map to check right now, sorry to be vague) where I was able to get over a hill that looked like it led to another big empty zone. I didn't have time to fool with it then, but I may go back and give it a try later.

One thing I really liked about Rift was that there were actually little loot caches here and there in places like this. I love climbing around in places I shouldn't be, so it was pretty nice to stumble on a box with a nice piece of loot. It was nice to have MMO devs that seemed to understand that kind of thing instead of ones that mercilessly fix the bugs that let you do things like this.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Alavaria posted:

Ironically, you can.

Start running. While holding down "w", press enter. Now you can let go of "w", then press enter again to exit the chat. Your character will continue to run, but you can now move the camera independently.

I do this all the time, yes.

I've tried this, it doesn't work right. W, enter, release W, enter again - I keep running, but the camera is back to turning me.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Alavaria posted:

There's the golden throne thing, is that side saddle as well?

You don't ride it, you sit on it

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Harik posted:

I've tried this, it doesn't work right. W, enter, release W, enter again - I keep running, but the camera is back to turning me.
Maybe it's pressing W, Alt, release w.

It's also the case that you can look behind you and by pressing S you will run towards the camera, ie forward. And moving "diagonally" lets you look sideways while running in the same direction as you were before

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Thievery posted:

This happened to me all the time mentally in Everquest whenever I had to swim across the sea for anything. The fact that you couldn't see past the water and that all I saw was endless calm just unnerved the poo poo out of me to the point that I never even dared to look under the water, lest I angered and immediately got eaten by a swarm of sea serpents, sharks and other marine horrors that just -had- to be waiting to grab me. I miss that feel.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:
Dear everyone applying: guild is full! Sorry. You'll be accepted in once space is made (soon).

If you have tried applying recently try again just to be sure someone didn't throw out your app or tried to accept it when we were full.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

An Unoriginal Name posted:

Dear everyone applying: guild is full! Sorry. You'll be accepted in once space is made (soon).

If you have tried applying recently try again just to be sure someone didn't throw out your app or tried to accept it when we were full.

You can come join the other guild with me and the other 15 people in it :unsmith:

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!

Maxmaps posted:

This happened to me all the time mentally in Everquest whenever I had to swim across the sea for anything. The fact that you couldn't see past the water and that all I saw was endless calm just unnerved the poo poo out of me to the point that I never even dared to look under the water, lest I angered and immediately got eaten by a swarm of sea serpents, sharks and other marine horrors that just -had- to be waiting to grab me. I miss that feel.
Jeez, I had the same exact thing in world of warcraft. Those oceans are REALLY deep. It's terrifying.

Thank god you can't go underwater in tera.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

tearshed posted:

Jeez, I had the same exact thing in world of warcraft. Those oceans are REALLY deep. It's terrifying.

Thank god you can't go underwater in tera.

In Guild Wars 2, some of the zones are surrounded by water and although normally going too far just runs you into an invisible wall, in some areas if you swim too far out and go down just a foot or two it starts getting very dark very quickly. I've never really had any kind of phobia about dark or water, but that just creeps me the hell out.

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
Anyone got any advice on how to tank instances with a lancer? I have done the first two instances so far without wiping but I feel like I am not utilizing block to avoid damage to the fullest. Any tips and tricks on when to use block, what abilities to focus on and so forth? Trying to read enemies attack patterns are kinda tough when fighting trash packs with all the graphical clusterfuck these fights can be.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Remember you can cancel almost any skill with the shield block, if you are in the middle of an animation and see the boss about to do something, just hit block. Stunning the boss will make it cancel and forget what it was about to do, if you're good at reading the bosses hit it with a Shield Bash when its about to do something really bad. Later on this also works with the Leash, I forget at what level you get it.
At least on my experience pulling many mobs at once in the later dungeons can lead to bad things, just slap one with leash from far to get its and its friends attention.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 21, 2013

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

Been playing for a few days now and i'm having fun. I'm a little surprised how low the interest is in this even though playing f2p is basically totally unrestricted.

If anyone knows where to buy a retail box/key, that would be bueno.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Neutron Bandit posted:

Been playing for a few days now and i'm having fun. I'm a little surprised how low the interest is in this even though playing f2p is basically totally unrestricted.

If anyone knows where to buy a retail box/key, that would be bueno.

Check your local Wal-Mart. That is where I found a copy.

seekDefeat
Jan 15, 2006
Smelly Limey Asshole :(
I unsubbed after the first month, after logging some 48 hours in 3 days competing for Prime. Ah the joys. Unfortunately endgame was pretty screwed back then - any decent changed occurred since May time?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

An Unoriginal Name posted:

When I log in tonight I'll drop guild with my mostly inactive level 60 archer. I've been playing my 53 Zerk for a while now and don't see myself seriously switching back anytime soon. I'll rejoin that character when the f2p rush starts to die down a little

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Where are the new dailies that give eventual gear rewards generally located?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I thought i'd try this game out cause it's free and all and it's pretty fun. I'm playing as a berserker and it reminds me of monster hunter in a way, especially the BAMs. I soloed a basilisk by learning its patterns like in monster hunter and felt pretty badass.

My main question is I made a slayer as well, but compared to berserker it seems kind of lacking. Berserkers attacks all seem to form one nice chain whereas with the slayer it's more random and weird. Does slayer get better/ more cohesive later on?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I thought i'd try this game out cause it's free and all and it's pretty fun. I'm playing as a berserker and it reminds me of monster hunter in a way, especially the BAMs. I soloed a basilisk by learning its patterns like in monster hunter and felt pretty badass.

My main question is I made a slayer as well, but compared to berserker it seems kind of lacking. Berserkers attacks all seem to form one nice chain whereas with the slayer it's more random and weird. Does slayer get better/ more cohesive later on?

Slayers get Overhand Strike at 16 and that combos off of most of their moves. At 20 you can get a glyph that gives Overhand Strike a 50% chance to not incur a cooldown. Sometimes this lets you smash things really fast with your big rear end sword. You also get a charge attack that increases your animation speed by 30% for one attack at level 8. You can use that right before a move that has a long windup whenever it's available.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Boggus posted:

Anyone got any advice on how to tank instances with a lancer? I have done the first two instances so far without wiping but I feel like I am not utilizing block to avoid damage to the fullest. Any tips and tricks on when to use block, what abilities to focus on and so forth? Trying to read enemies attack patterns are kinda tough when fighting trash packs with all the graphical clusterfuck these fights can be.

Trash mobs are really simple, also if you have an army infront of you. Simply jump back, taunt and block. The more mobs you taunt, the more resolve you gain. You won't get hit a single time and you can keep doing this to the end of your days. Tanking a lot of mobs has become extremely easy for lancers since their last buff.
On single target just make sure to keep debilitate up on three stacks, shield counter and taunt as often as possible. If the attack pattern of the boss is extremely slow, fill in double bash, spring attack and wallop when the combo is ready.

Using Menacing Wave whenever it's up is also great, both for you and your DPS. As long as you can keep agro, it's more a question of style. Our DPS makes for little difference.

If you have not yet, make sure you glyph both slots in shield counter. In some fights it's best to keep block up most of the time and rely on shield counter to activate and in other fights you may feel very comfortable with the attack pattern, thus allowing you to simply flash block by only cliking the block ability instead of holding it down.

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 22, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

First try on MCHM with 3 experienced people and another goon, got to 70% twice. Not bad with 2 newbies I guess. Probably would have gotten better results later but I was getting tired and it's like 6am.

I also found out that first two bosses drop Abyss. I think I'd actually rather waste my 2 MCHM cooldowns for first 2 bosses than do ACHM ever again.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

KaneTW posted:

First try on MCHM with 3 experienced people and another goon, got to 70% twice. Not bad with 2 newbies I guess. Probably would have gotten better results later but I was getting tired and it's like 6am.

I also found out that first two bosses drop Abyss. I think I'd actually rather waste my 2 MCHM cooldowns for first 2 bosses than do ACHM ever again.

Is the first two bosses difficult? If not then why are we doing ACHM ever!?

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
For any goons on Lake of Tears, Foil started a guild for us there. It's called Unicorns.Farting.Weed.Smoke and our goal is to make the game the most non-fun thing out there for our server. So, if you feel like being an rear end, we have a home for you.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

Velveteen posted:

For all the fun we had!

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Velveteen posted:

Not really. You need really good DPS but apart from a enrage timer and everything hits harder they're p much the same.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Eigo posted:

For all the fun we had!

4 and a half hours of fun

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Can anyone with elite status weigh in on is it worth it or not? I'm deciding on wether to pick it up but the features page is light on details.

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.

Totalizator posted:

Can anyone with elite status weigh in on is it worth it or not? I'm deciding on wether to pick it up but the features page is light on details.

I've had it since it was available and I really can't see myself playing without it. The daily 1 hour XP boost is nice for the level 52-58 grind, but once you hit 60, Elite status gives you ~2000 gold for your daily quests, while you can only make about ~500 without it. Prices on the trade broker have increased correspondingly, so everything is twice as expensive as before the game went F2P, and you'd have to do a ton of grinding to get decent gear without elite status.

Tensei fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
You can also post like 5 times as many items on the broker and there's no fee for posting anything, if that matters to you.

I've had it too, the boosts are really nice and the random mount is just 'cuz.

• Locked thread