Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

knife guys

so, on recommendation of this thread, I bought this : http://www.amazon.com/Norton-614636855653-8-Inch-Combination-Oilstone/dp/B000XK5ZDY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top and some oil a while ago. I'm pretty confident using it at this point, and I think I'm ready to step my game up to get even finer/sharper results. What's next? an additional finer grit stone? a strop? I don't know anything about stropping other than people on the internet seem to take it very seriously. ^_^

I don't think you're into a fine enough grit to get anything from stropping. Maybe something in the mid 1k grit range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Perhaps one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Waters...orton+1000+4000
Or just the 4000/8000 stone:
http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Japane...orton+1000+4000

I have one of these 4000/8000 ones and it's pretty versatile.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Depends on the knife. I've got a near perfect edge on my CCK cleaver, and it slices through butternut like, well, butter. I only use a 6k stone on it, but I doubt I'd see much of an improvment on a 1mm thick blade.

I also like showing off my knives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtBkfbOCpos

e: Generally speaking, higher grits will have a more lasting effect on higher rockwell metals. Say in the 62-64 range.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I bought this stone for my knives: http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Crysto...orton+crystolon

And I've just realized I didn't buy any oil to use it with, should I be buying a specific kind of oil for this, or is any honing oil appropriate?

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

The Third Man posted:

I bought this stone for my knives: http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Crysto...orton+crystolon

And I've just realized I didn't buy any oil to use it with, should I be buying a specific kind of oil for this, or is any honing oil appropriate?

Is it just me, or is that stone really low grit? My water stone is 1000 grit on one side and 6000 on the other. Are the grits not equivalent between water and oil stones?

Also, Christopher Schwarz (A pretty smart woodworking guy) just uses olive oil on his Arkansas stones, so I don't think you need to be too picky.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'm looking for a shorter stock pot to fit the steamer insert from the set that I already have, since it's a bit of a hassle if I'm just looking to quickly steam something. But it looks like diameter isn't a dimension that is normally given; is that because most stock pots are the same width? I've about decided on this one https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-744-24-Classic-Stainless-6-Quart/dp/B00008CM6I, but although I can always use more pots I'd really like it to take the steamer that I already have.

edit: in addition to this, I'd like to pick up a basic non-stick pan so that I don't have to worry about heat levels or moving to the oven (also so that I can sear small amounts of stir-fry, since the electric range at my condo renders my wok useless). What would you guys choose between these two?
https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-722-30G-Classic-12-Inch-Skillet/dp/B0078P9D8U
https://www.amazon.com/C8390764-Performance-Stainless-Mult-layer-Dishwasher/dp/B001ORBJJO

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 13, 2013

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I just got engaged and I'm trying to make a good wishlist of stuff for when we move into a bigger place. I know that somewhere in this thread, there was a good Amazon list of items. Does anyone still have that? My friends/family don't have a lot of money so I want the priciest kitchen thing to be a stand mixer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Check the bottom of the op

edit: some of it may be outdated, so double check the prices and feel free to ask

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 13, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
It's my birthday (:toot:) and my mom got me an Amazon gift card.

Is this the dutch oven that I want? http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-P...iron+dutch+oven

Or do I need to get an enameled one?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Doh004 posted:

It's my birthday (:toot:) and my mom got me an Amazon gift card.

Is this the dutch oven that I want? http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-P...iron+dutch+oven

Or do I need to get an enameled one?

I'd go enameled so you don't have to worry about acidic foods.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

The Third Man posted:

Use mineral oil, it won't go rancid like the variosu cooking oils (vegetable, olive, peanut etc.). You can buy "honing oil" but its almost always a kind of mineral oil.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Just noticed this thread and will crosspost this question from the 'quick questions' thread:

I'm trying to get a flexible microwave. Have come to some conclusions;

Feel free to confirm/deny my findings.

-You can get a decent countertop one for ~$140CAD
-Kenmore is regarded as the goto brand
-Sensory is nice

I have a question about racks. Can you get a grill rack for a microwave after the fact? None I've seen in the mid 100$ have them. And they look useful for certain things. I can't seem to find 'microwave racks' online which makes me think that if you don't get a microwave with a rack, you can't get one separately.

Feel free to make any suggestions!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Recommendations for a probe thermometer for use in the oven and a grill/smoker? Would prefer it not to be wireless as they seem to be more expensive, but I'm having trouble narrowing down my options on Amazon since I don't know much about them.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Iron Lung posted:

Recommendations for a probe thermometer for use in the oven and a grill/smoker? Would prefer it not to be wireless as they seem to be more expensive, but I'm having trouble narrowing down my options on Amazon since I don't know much about them.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/oven_temp_timer.html

or get their more expensive thermocouples, which are worth the investment.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

This thing rules, I even bought a spare probe just in case and still haven't killed the first one yet.

vacuity
Sep 9, 2005
What kinds of options are available for liquid storage? I love mason jars in all their rustic glory, but I'm curious if there is anything out there that's a viable alternative. I'm not looking to preserve anything, but soups/sauces will factor heavily so freezer safe is crucial. Since I'm not preserving, the lids are my only (admittedly nit-picky) gripe with mason jars. These are cool, but not 7$ a pop cool, so something with a flexible lid system would be nice to have. I'm not picky about materials as long as it's sturdy, easy to clean, and doesn't look too much like poo poo.

Any suggestions?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

vacuity posted:

What kinds of options are available for liquid storage? I love mason jars in all their rustic glory, but I'm curious if there is anything out there that's a viable alternative. I'm not looking to preserve anything, but soups/sauces will factor heavily so freezer safe is crucial. Since I'm not preserving, the lids are my only (admittedly nit-picky) gripe with mason jars. These are cool, but not 7$ a pop cool, so something with a flexible lid system would be nice to have. I'm not picky about materials as long as it's sturdy, easy to clean, and doesn't look too much like poo poo.

Any suggestions?
Depends on the liquid. I tend to use either the cheapass Glad/Ziplock/whatever containers you can get in any grocery store, baggies, or recycled containers from other poo poo (like whenever I make my own ketchup, bbq sauce, or other condiment sauce I'll just use an old store-bought ketchup bottle to store it).

If you're planning on needing a shitload of them, you can just go to your nearest restaurant supply store and buy a bunch of plastic containers in pint, quart, or whatever sizes for a couple cents a pop.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Blendy posted:

I'd go enameled so you don't have to worry about acidic foods.

Huzzah! It's more burgandy than red/pink but I just blame my lovely cell phone.

I'm thinking maybe I could make Beef Bourguignon this weekend in it?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

SubG posted:

If you're planning on needing a shitload of them, you can just go to your nearest restaurant supply store and buy a bunch of plastic containers in pint, quart, or whatever sizes for a couple cents a pop.
The ten food things I actually use in my kitchen are:

1.) chef's knife
2.) cutting board
3.) wooden spoon
4.) side towel
5.) thermapen
6.) microplane
7.) take out containers
8.) pressure cooker
9.) induction stovetop
10.) paring knife

It's hard to emphasize how rad it is to have a bounty of those containers, especially because you can feel okay throwing them out if they get stained or something.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Solo delitainers are the only tainers you will ever need.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Any opinions on panini presses?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Choadmaster posted:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ava...0%20%20120.html

Avantco or go home.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

"go home" meaning, toast your sandwich in a pan on your stovetop

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Choadmaster posted:

the number of times where I've wanted something like a panini press have been very very few and far inbetween, but those few times I've just inverted my favorite stainless pan over a burner, heated my cast iron pan on another burner till smoking, put the sandwich on the inverted pan, then plopped my cast iron down on top of it. worked perfectly, cost = $0. extra junk in kitchen = 0 items.

edit : or yeah, just cook your poo poo in a pan and flip it once.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Yeah I just throw 1-2 sandwiches/wraps onto a hot cast iron (regular pan will work, I just like mine really crusty), flatten with a big heavy plate, give it a flip, and serve on the same plate. No grill marks, but great crust and minimal cleaning.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
The Avantco press looks like a beast! I really like using my friend's panini press... But on the other hand, I just ordered my first cast iron pan off amazon a couple days ago. I guess I'll give that route a shot first.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
I use my waffle iron as a panini press. I also use it to grill veggies and to make toast. Everything gets a waffle pattern. It is my most used kitchen appliance. Waffle irons for everything!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Choadmaster posted:

The Avantco press looks like a beast! I really like using my friend's panini press... But on the other hand, I just ordered my first cast iron pan off amazon a couple days ago. I guess I'll give that route a shot first.

Cook bacon on your cast iron a few times then cook your sandwich.

That panini press won't be able to stand up to well seasoned cast iron.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

cheese eats mouse posted:

Best way to cook hot sammiches. I never understood why a panini press was even a thing. Seemed to me it was a solution looking for a problem type of thing.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Eh, it makes sense in a commercial setting. Hell of a lot more efficient, consistent, and space saving for putting out sandwiches in a cafe than loving around with pans, flames, having to have a whole range and hood system.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

cheese eats mouse posted:

Panini press plates are usually cast iron.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
You can also grab one of the cast iron grill pans if you really want the grill marks. Plus the grill pan is good for everything else instead of just sandwiches.

Psycho_Puppy
Sep 15, 2004

Founder, Mutant Ninja Peek-a-Poo Death Squad.
Grill pan and a bacon press. OR I have an Outset cast iron grill pan with a grooved cast iron press that fits inside. The outside is enameled. I cook sandwiches, boneless chicken, pork chops, hamburgers, with or without the press. I preheat the pan with the press in it and then lay the food down and place the press on top for the over and under heat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

LTBS posted:

You can also grab one of the cast iron grill pans if you really want the grill marks. Plus the grill pan is good for everything else instead of just sandwiches.
Do you mean nothing else?

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
Don't buy a cast iron grill pan. Don't buy a cheap panini press. Don't buy an expensive one unless you own a sandwich shop.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

No Wave posted:

Do you mean nothing else?

Flip it over on a gas range, use the bottom as a hot as gently caress griddle.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
I've had good luck using two cast iron pans. heat them both up, put your sandwich on one, a layer of tin foil and the other pan on top. Something more to weight it down if necessary. No grill marks but the effect is just as good. Also cheaper and more versatile than a panini press.

Mindphlux posted:

the number of times where I've wanted something like a panini press have been very very few and far inbetween, but those few times I've just inverted my favorite stainless pan over a burner, heated my cast iron pan on another burner till smoking, put the sandwich on the inverted pan, then plopped my cast iron down on top of it. worked perfectly, cost = $0. extra junk in kitchen = 0 items.

edit : or yeah, just cook your poo poo in a pan and flip it once.

derp... beaten.

copen fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 26, 2013

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Does anyone know anything about these? http://www.steba.co.uk/themen/sousvide/216/ Steba SV1 Precise Sous Vide cooker

Seems they can be bought for just under €150 here in Europe, but I can find very little else about them.

If I can find just a couple of success stories I may well be tempted to buy one at that price.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hey I want stainless steal mixing bowls because holy poo poo do I hate mixing things in tupperware when I don't want to use up my actual dish bowls for prep.

I'm surprised at how expensive Amazon is so I had bookmarked this website from an old suggestion here: http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/tablecraft/822/p9376.aspx

Anyone else use this website? Am I buying something worthwhile? I don't need these to last me forever, but I just need something I can whip up a vinaigrette or toss some veggies in a light dressing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Doh004 posted:

Hey I want stainless steal mixing bowls because holy poo poo do I hate mixing things in tupperware when I don't want to use up my actual dish bowls for prep.

I'm surprised at how expensive Amazon is so I had bookmarked this website from an old suggestion here: http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/tablecraft/822/p9376.aspx

Anyone else use this website? Am I buying something worthwhile? I don't need these to last me forever, but I just need something I can whip up a vinaigrette or toss some veggies in a light dressing with.

I don't care for glass or ceramic, because it's heavy, it's breakable, and it takes up too much space overall. My mixing bowls are all stainless steel. I bought the bulk of them at the dollar store, Big Lot's, and the local friendly restaurant supply store. The website you linked has reasonable prices, as long as the shipping doesn't cost too much. You might have luck by going to aforementioned stores in person, and save on the shipping. Unless these stores are so far away that the petrol cost would outweigh the $10 of shipping costs that the website will charge you.

Fake edit: Just checked. For 6 bowls, which cost around $7.74, the shipping cost is $7.99. :gonk: Just go to the store.

• Locked thread