Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
Has anyone here been on/is anyone here going to go on the History of Rome tour? I'd really love to go one day, but I just don't have that kind of cash or time lying around, and probably won't for years, which makes me think I'll probably miss out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Anyone watching the new Spartacus season? I know I know, this might not be the place for it but I would love to see some deconstruction on it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Alan Smithee posted:

Anyone watching the new Spartacus season? I know I know, this might not be the place for it but I would love to see some deconstruction on it
Silicone and bikini waxing weren't invented until the 20th century.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I only saw the first season and the mini season. Gladiator fights weren't nearly as deadly. Everything else looked reasonably accurate. Except for the gorgeousness of the actors and actresses.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Not My Leg posted:

Since the thread was recently talking about personal combat. Is there any truth to the idea that during the Marcomannic Wars, Marcus Valerius Maximianus defeated one of the German tribes by killing their leader in personal combat? I heard it suggested, probably in the History of Rome podcast, that this was a case of defeating the enemy tribe through personal combat, but some Googling seems to indicate that he personally killed the chieftain in the context of a broader battle, and that likely broke the German tribe, rather than as a one-on-one loser goes home type battle.
This is believed to be correct, but since we don't know if he was awarded spolia opima for the feat (the inscription is unclear), the precise details are unknown. It may have been some lesser thane he killed, or maybe by this time the Romans aren't awarding spolia opima. Or maybe he was awarded it and the subsequent hullabaloo doesn't survive in the record. One of the things about the Principate was that the emperors became very stingy with the highest military honors, especially outside the Imperial family. Augustus sets the precedent when he denies spolia opima to Crassus' grandson.

physeter fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 22, 2013

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I like to think that if you showed some Romans our TV shows about them, they'd loving love spartacus and watch every episode twice.

I dont think women's tits were falling out in the arena every five minutes though.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Silicone and bikini waxing weren't invented until the 20th century.

Really? Did Roman cosmetics not take any notice of the crotch? Serious question.

edit: and hopefully that's the most disturbing thing I'll ever type.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I definitely remember picking up a collection of articles in the college library and finding a published paper trying to work out from Aristophanes whether Greek women typically shaved their crotches (the answer seemed to be a fairly well-backed-up yes), so there was certainly precedent of a sort.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Really? Did Roman cosmetics not take any notice of the crotch? Serious question.

edit: and hopefully that's the most disturbing thing I'll ever type.

The Egyptians removed body hair with sugaring, which is similar to waxing. So the technology was there, at least.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
There was definitely lots of body hair grooming, including depilatories, sugaring, waxing with resin, and lots and lots of tedious plucking--I was just joking that Roman women probably didn't look like Lucy Lawless or Polly Walker coming out of the bath. I remember reading an account of a Roman men's bath that included mention of the gasps and complaints that accompanied the professional hair-plucker plying his trade.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What kind of rogue hairs were the men getting rid of?

Actually, can anyone spare a few words about ancient standards of beauty and grooming, just like generally?

Is it true that Greeks were all about beautiful necks?
Did men wear any makeup?
What about clothing? You see a lot of pictures of kilted Pharaonic Egyptians: did they maintain this style under the Ptolemies? What about the Ptolemies themselves? Or the other Diadochi?

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 21, 2013

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think it was Caesar that had his whole body plucked below the chin.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember reading an account of a Roman men's bath that included mention of the gasps and complaints that accompanied the professional hair-plucker plying his trade.

That's written by Seneca (unless there's another one I don't know about), using the persona of someone who lives above the public baths. I wouldn't do that personally, but then some people live above takeaways, and I wouldn't do that either. It's not clear from the passage exactly what part of the body the hair is being plucked from.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Ancient standards of beauty and grooming.

Going to the barber for a shave was a big ritual for Roman men, but it took ages and could be as uncomfortable as hell. I don't think they'd developed modern scissors yet, so they used to rely on bronze cut throat razors of varying degrees of sharpness wielded by guys with varying degrees of skill but without shaving foam. It's not surprising that Roman men often grew their beards (although they went in and out of style, too) and even when "clean-shaven" they probably wouldn't be as clean-shaven as we manage today.

Apart from the practical side, the barbers' was also something of a social hang-out for men, although to be honest that's still true in parts of the world today.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

General Panic posted:

I don't think they'd developed modern scissors yet, so they used to rely on bronze cut throat razors of varying degrees of sharpness wielded by guys with varying degrees of skill but without shaving foam.
Did they use oil?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Halloween Jack posted:

Did they use oil?

Probably. They used it as a soap thing (cover in oil, scrape off with bronze stick thingy called a strigil) so I would be surprised if they didn't use it as a lubricant for shaving too.

General Panic posted:

That's written by Seneca (unless there's another one I don't know about), using the persona of someone who lives above the public baths. I wouldn't do that personally, but then some people live above takeaways, and I wouldn't do that either. It's not clear from the passage exactly what part of the body the hair is being plucked from.

Going to the barber for a shave was a big ritual for Roman men, but it took ages and could be as uncomfortable as hell. I don't think they'd developed modern scissors yet, so they used to rely on bronze cut throat razors of varying degrees of sharpness wielded by guys with varying degrees of skill but without shaving foam. It's not surprising that Roman men often grew their beards (although they went in and out of style, too) and even when "clean-shaven" they probably wouldn't be as clean-shaven as we manage today.

Apart from the practical side, the barbers' was also something of a social hang-out for men, although to be honest that's still true in parts of the world today.

Clean shaven was the norm from about 2nd century BC to the first half of 2nd century AD. It became fashionable after Alexander the Great, until Hadrian brought in beards again because he was a big fan of Greek stuff (and Greeks tended to keep beards). Early ancestors in the time before the late 300's are often referred to as being bearded. Cicero refers to Appius Claudius Caecus as "prickly" with a big beard, and states clearly that he means a big beard, not like the "barbulae" (oft translated as goatee) of some of his contemporaries. e: Also, upon their coming of age, young men would shave & dedicate the shavings. I think to the Lares but I can't find a source other than wikipedia specifically on who they dedicated it to.

Razors are found in men's graves in Italy from basically as early as we have grave goods, so shaving to some degree must have been A Thing. (Actually, often razors are what is used to decide if a grave belonged to a man. Mirrors and cosmetics things for women. It's a bit circular).

Large parts of this may be untrue for the non-elite classes, especially outside of cities.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 21, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is there much information about how Romans would preform their equivalent of the modern morning shave? I mean apart from the lack of an electric razor (which I use because I suck at every other method), Did they have dedicated knives for shaving and did they use oil or shaving cream to prepare/soothe the skin afterwards?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Did you read the posts above yours or just skip em?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Did you read the posts above yours or just skip em?

I somehow managed to do both at the same time.

As a follow-up, what's the classical world's version of :bang:?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

As a follow-up, what's the classical world's version of :bang:?
Sieging Constantinople before 1453.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Sieging Constantinople before 1453.

I assume we all decide to ignore the Crazy Crusade?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

The People's Crusade was pretty ridiculously dumb:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Crusade

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Assuming it actually happened, the Children's Crusade is my favorite :wtc: event of the medieval period.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Honestly, during the whole Crusaders scene the Muslims must have had the most :wtc: period of their lives.

"Hey Kilij, you're not going to loving believe what they sent here this time."

"WHY ARE THEY DOING THHHISSSS?!"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

DarkCrawler posted:

Honestly, during the whole Crusaders scene the Muslims must have had the most :wtc: period of their lives.

"Hey Kilij, you're not going to loving believe what they sent here this time."

"WHY ARE THEY DOING THHHISSSS?!"

And then they made me watch as they ATE Hannad right in front of me!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

my dad posted:

And then they made me watch as they ATE Hannad right in front of me!

Albert of Aix posted:

"The Christians did not shrink from eating not only killed Turks or Saracens, but even dogs..."

Yeah...I think eating dogs would be more preferable, dude... :stare:

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I was reading a book about Caesar and the author mentioned that both Suetonius and Livy's accounts of his early life are lost. When historians use the word lost in that sort of context do they mean 'probably destroyed' or 'we might still find it one day'? How does something like that get lost in the first place, we have all the rest so why not those chapters?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
"Lost" means, obviously, that there's no known copy of a text surviving today, either because none exist at all or those that do are undiscovered or are sitting in archival collections awaiting (re)-discovery. Note that generally speaking when works are termed "lost" it can basically be assumed to mean "gone forever".

As for how it happens? Well between the lack of mass printing until the 1400s, and two millenia of wars, civilizational collapse, neglect, and horrific library fires it's a wonder we have as much historical material from the period as we do.

It's not like this is confined to the Classical era either. Writing my Ph.D thesis has been a long extended headache because there's huge piles of official documents and reports relating to my thesis topic that are gone because all the copies were tossed into furnaces or pulped during the 1950s.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Are there any diseases that affected ancient Romans that no longer exist today?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

QuoProQuid posted:

Are there any diseases that affected ancient Romans that no longer exist today?

Smallpox.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Bubonic plague as well. Isolated cases still happen, but it's exceedingly rare, and very treatable if you have access to antibiotics. This compared to when it'd occasionally wipe out 1/4 to a 1/3 of the population in just a year or two.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

"Lost" means, obviously, that there's no known copy of a text surviving today, either because none exist at all or those that do are undiscovered or are sitting in archival collections awaiting (re)-discovery. Note that generally speaking when works are termed "lost" it can basically be assumed to mean "gone forever".

As for how it happens? Well between the lack of mass printing until the 1400s, and two millenia of wars, civilizational collapse, neglect, and horrific library fires it's a wonder we have as much historical material from the period as we do.

It's not like this is confined to the Classical era either. Writing my Ph.D thesis has been a long extended headache because there's huge piles of official documents and reports relating to my thesis topic that are gone because all the copies were tossed into furnaces or pulped during the 1950s.

When's the last time we actually found a manuscript that we didn't previously have a copy of? I know the Dead Sea Scrolls is probably the most famous (semi?) recent example, but are there any others? How often do we find "lost" texts anyway?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know the last time but it does happen on rare occasions. The vast majority of what we have is preserved because it was copied and maintained somewhere or another. Currently, the most promising site is the Villa of the Papyri at Herculaneum, where large numbers of books were preserved by the eruption of Vesuvius. They were turned into charcoal by the heat, but it is possible to read them still. Work is ongoing on figuring out some sort of CT scan or whatever that can read the text without trying to unroll it, which is incredibly difficult and often destroys it. There may also be a second library in the villa that is as yet undiscovered, since villas of this type usually had two libraries and only one has been excavated. If we're going to discover wholly lost texts, that's the likely spot to do it at the moment.

Smallpox is the only disease that affected Romans that we don't have at all today, but there are lots that were deadly then that are minor now. Bubonic plague being the biggest example. Polio is mostly gone too, and stuff like leprosy was a big deal then but completely treatable now. Tuberculosis was always a big deal, though with the increasing antibiotic resistance we might get the TB plague back again! :buddy:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kill Dozed posted:

When's the last time we actually found a manuscript that we didn't previously have a copy of? I know the Dead Sea Scrolls is probably the most famous (semi?) recent example, but are there any others? How often do we find "lost" texts anyway?

In large part it depends on how you define "texts". Old records and letters (like the Vinolanda tablets) turn up on occasion, but lost works like plays and treatises are pretty rare discoveries outside of fragments from places like Oxyrhynchus.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know the last time but it does happen on rare occasions. The vast majority of what we have is preserved because it was copied and maintained somewhere or another. Currently, the most promising site is the Villa of the Papyri at Herculaneum, where large numbers of books were preserved by the eruption of Vesuvius. They were turned into charcoal by the heat, but it is possible to read them still. Work is ongoing on figuring out some sort of CT scan or whatever that can read the text without trying to unroll it, which is incredibly difficult and often destroys it. There may also be a second library in the villa that is as yet undiscovered, since villas of this type usually had two libraries and only one has been excavated. If we're going to discover wholly lost texts, that's the likely spot to do it at the moment.

There are people actively working on reading them yeah. I know a lot of it seems to be Philodemus, an Epicurean philosopher, but I've also heard there's more of Ennius' Annales that someone is busy editing and oh boy oh boy oh boy :swoon:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

malaria was a huge deal in Italy until the 20th century thanks to the Pontine marshes. We dont think about malaria above the tropics but it made a large part of the peninsula unlivable and killed or sickened a ton of people.

The Romans tried to drain them over and over and always failed. It was a big deal when the fascists did it because they could claim to have surpassed the Romans and it was actually not a lie or exaggeration for once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontine_Marshes

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Those were all interesting answers. Thank you.

What was medical care like in ancient Rome? I think leeching arose later during the early medieval period, but I would be interested in hearing any completely bizarre treatments that ancient Roman physicians would prescribe.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

QuoProQuid posted:

Those were all interesting answers. Thank you.

What was medical care like in ancient Rome? I think leeching arose later during the early medieval period, but I would be interested in hearing any completely bizarre treatments that ancient Roman physicians would prescribe.

Roman physicians actually had a fairly sophisticated (for the time) knowledge of surgery and anti-infectious precautions despite having no knowledge of microbes or antibiotics.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I believe the general consensus earlier in the thread was that until the rise of modern medicine, your best bet for survival throughout the history of Europe as a Roman physician.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Namarrgon posted:

I believe the general consensus earlier in the thread was that until the rise of modern medicine, your best bet for survival throughout the history of Europe as a Roman physician.

Yeah here's where we were talking about it previously: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=39

Roman trauma surgery was the best available until the American Civil War. And they had excellent palliative care as well - they knew to pay attention to cleanliness and prevent disease and infection, though they lacked the physiological theory to understand why it worked. I could have sworn that I wrote up a larger post about it where I talked about African and Eastern medicines as well, but I couldn't find it. India had some truly innovative doctors and therapists, though the knowledge was poorly disseminated, and Egypt and China provided the basis for modern medicine. And really by Roman doctors we're talking about Grecian Romans, because nearly all the medicos were incorporated Greeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Namarrgon posted:

Muslim Iberia was pretty good in that regard as well.