Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
On a related thrash note, I've been digging Kreator and Sodom lately. What should I listen to next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

John Magnum posted:

I don't know about that, even by 1985 and 1986 there were a lot of incredibly fast, heavy, proto-death-y thrash metal albums. And then you have poo poo like Master's Unreleased 1985 Album that would have been nearly a decade ahead of its time. Slayer were certainly pretty popular, but I don't know that they were an indispensable piece of extreme metal's evolution.

I agree here, but how many non-metalheads have heard of Master? Now, how many have heard of Slayer? To us, we can kind of roll our eyes at their popularity because really, they're not exceptional in any way. In fact, I think they're pretty lame. But I think they were relevant largely due to all the negative media hype and controversy they received because :derp:satanism:derp:

I guess it's somewhat more about their influence with the general acceptance and growth in popularity for metal than it is about actually contributing to any musical evolution. To metalheads, that satanism and public outrage was something to identify with. It was the counter culture. What's the problem? Satanism? Yeah that's cool. Slayer:rolleyes:\m/

I don't listen to Slayer, but when somebody hears I'm into metal it's common for Slayer to come up, or some other generic band (Cannibal Corpse is another popular choice). It's kind of an easy point of reference.

Yeah I listen to satanic poo poo. Honestly I don't care what the lyrics say. I don't understand them half the time anyway, and when they are clear enough to understand then chances are it's in another language. But that's another topic.

I don't know. I don't really care either. They probably should have called it quits a long time ago, but I guess enough people are stuck in the realm of existence where the Big 4 are "good metal" (or something) to keep them in business producing lovely music.

rxcowboy posted:

On a related thrash note, I've been digging Kreator and Sodom lately. What should I listen to next?

I've been enjoying Paradox's new album here and there.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 21, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't really care for Slayer either. Hell, I've seen them live twice and was bored both times. I always feel I really should like them more but I just don't. I like Raining Blood and that's it. Every other song by them sounds like a less good version of Raining Blood to me. It all just starts to blend together and sound very samey.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The thing about Reign In Blood was it was pretty much the only faster thrash album with half-decent sufficiently heavy production well into the early 90s. I know the Scott Burns sound has its charms, but heavy it isn't. Reign In Blood doesn't sound like it was recorded in 1986. I think Morbid Saint's Spectrum Of Death is the best thrash record of the 80s, but it sounds like weak trebly rear end next to Reign In Blood. It's amazing what turning down the reverb does.

rxcowboy posted:

This is a dumb question but have you listened to Destruction?

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 21, 2013

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

watt par posted:

The thing about Reign In Blood was it was pretty much the only faster thrash album with half-decent sufficiently heavy production well into the early 90s.

Nah it wasn't.

But I get what you mean about the treble in stuff like Morbid Saint, Devastation, Deranged etc, even the almighty Rigor Mortis sound tinny by comparison.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Don't get the Slayer hate at all. Show No Mercy, Reign In Blood, South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss are all loving awesome (Not all that fond of Hell Awaits) and I still play Seasons and South of Heaven pretty regularly despite first hearing them many years ago.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Absolutely. Slayer is awesome, gently caress you all.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
This thread took a turn to the stupid. gently caress all y'all Slayer haters.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I've never been hugely into Slayer, but Seasons in the Abyss is a loving awesome album. They're not the heaviest or fastest band, even for their time period, but they wrote some killer songs.

I do think Slayer's less thrashy songs are their best though. As much as I love War Ensemble, I enjoy poo poo like Dead Skin Mask and Expendable Youth a lot more.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 21, 2013

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

If the lead-in to South Of Heaven doesn't do funny things to you then you aren't a fan of metal :colbert:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Slayer is ok. I don't think comparing them to where the genre has gone 30 years later is really a thing you should do though.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
That's probably why nobody has been doing that? People have mostly been comparing them to a bunch of other bands from the mid-80s.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

IRQ posted:

Slayer is ok. I don't think comparing them to where the genre has gone 30 years later is really a thing you should do though.

If it wasn't for slayer, half of the last 30 years wouldn't have happened.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Morbid Florist posted:

Which half?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Morbid Florist posted:

They've arguably had more of an impact on hardcore than they have metal at this point.

Speaking of which, for the five people who haven't heard it, the Pap Smear demo is both awesome and hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgM-Ec2UPoQ

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 21, 2013

Falls Motel
May 2, 2009
I think I like the Pap Smear thing better than most Slayer tracks, haha. I know it's an unpopular opinion but they never really did that much for me.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

None Shall Defy is my favorite Slayer album.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Morbid Florist posted:

I don't think it's fair to say one band is responsible for innovation all the time (or half the time). Look at the Gothenburg movement. In Flames, At the Gates, etc. released similar albums in the same year. The late 80's was ripe for thrash change-up. Reign in Blood is my favorite Slayer album, and speaking of In Flames, Slayer got worse in their later albums too!

South of Heaven is eternally badass though.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Falls Motel posted:

I think I like the Pap Smear thing better than most Slayer tracks, haha. I know it's an unpopular opinion but they never really did that much for me.

Undisputed Attitude is my favorite Slayer album. Maybe Jeff Hanneman will see the writing on the wall and go make something along those lines. poo poo, Dave Lombardo's not busy at the moment, and Rocky George can't be that busy with Fishbone.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Hopefully hanneman can keep his skin on long enough to play again

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Also since someone talked about how cool Sabaton's live show was a few pages back here's a corny/cool song they did a while back. Count the references! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8hJddMR8ZU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Morbid Florist posted:

I don't dispute that they were influential.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

watt par posted:

Undisputed Attitude is my favorite Slayer album. Maybe Jeff Hanneman will see the writing on the wall and go make something along those lines. poo poo, Dave Lombardo's not busy at the moment, and Rocky George can't be that busy with Fishbone.

Well, for now it seems like Dave Lombardo won't be doing anything with Slayer so I guess he can do whatever he wants!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Cheapsteaks posted:

Well, for now it seems like Dave Lombardo won't be doing anything with Slayer so I guess he can do whatever he wants!

That was the joke.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
What? Jokes? There's no room for joking when metal is involved, you fool!

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Suffocation just posted this video on their facebook page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS6EghVzNsI

Falls Motel
May 2, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS6EghVzNsI

Suffocation dude bitching about stuff.

e;fb

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, like I'm gonna buy metal that they have at FYE :jerkbag:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I can't help but enjoy the irony of a dude bitching about people not buying media on a dead format while buying it inside an enclosed mall, which itself is a dead retail format.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 22, 2016

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I love how the guy holds up his CD marked "Regular Price: $19.99" and has no moment of clarity.

Off I go to stream "Pierced from Within" via Grooveshark.

And after that he picks up the $16.99 one, and for a minute I thought he was going short-change himself.

I mean he makes a valid argument in that when record sales drop the label drops bands, etc. etc., but to film yourself, in the mall, at the FYE, buying your own poo poo? The whole thing comes across as really juvenile.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's kind of hilarious when he holds up the CD and you see the ON SALE-$16.99 price tag. Who spends $17 on a CD that didn't come with a T-shirt or some poo poo anymore? Does the band see any of that additional money or do they get the same cut as when somebody buys the album on Amazon for $9.99?

I feel for bands because it's loving impossible to make any money on music nowadays, but I don't see what poo poo like this accomplishes. It'd be one thing if it was funny or entertaining with a gentle "hey go buy our album" nudge, but this just comes off as (somewhat justifiably, to be fair) whiney. I'm all for bands encouraging people who dig them to give them money, but this dude makes it sound like people are watching a torrent tracker going HAHA! gently caress SUFFO!

E:F,B

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Surely Nuclear Blast has some sort of digital distribution. Live in the now, dude.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

rxcowboy posted:

For the record, I'm not a huge fan of any of the Big Four. I could cherry pick and make a best of CD of all of them, and be perfectly happy never listening to anything else but that best of. Especially for Megadeth.
I feel obliged to point out that of the Big Four, Anthrax is definitely at least [/i]trying[/i] a little more diligently to stretch out a bit as a band. They're the only one of the four to me that recognizes that they're older and have opted to go for a more "mature" approach :haw: and, I dunno, a more tempered sound? I'm with you all the way as far as Slayer/Megadeth/Metallica, but I thought Worship Music was pretty goddamn good for a band that's been around for thirty-two years. At least it wasn't a transparent attempt to sound like Among the Living.

rxcowboy posted:

Dust Bolt might also be right up your alley.

rivetz fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 21, 2013

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

watt par posted:

This is a dumb question but have you listened to Destruction?

I've never even heard of them. Where should I start?

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Eternal Devastation and Antichrist, I think.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

rivetz posted:

I feel obliged to point out that of the Big Four, Anthrax is definitely at least [/i]trying[/i] a little more diligently to stretch out a bit as a band. They're the only one of the four to me that recognizes that they're older and have opted to go for a more "mature" approach :haw: and, I dunno, a more tempered sound? I'm with you all the way as far as Slayer/Megadeth/Metallica, but I thought Worship Music was pretty goddamn good for a band that's been around for thirty-two years. At least it wasn't a transparent attempt to sound like Among the Living.
Dust Bolt might also be right up your alley.

I agree with you on the Anthrax front. The problem with metal bands is that alot of them just don't know when to hang it up, or they know and just refuse. That's why I respect the hell out of Bolt Thrower, in their mind they made the best album they ever were going to make with Those Once Loyal, and they hung it up.

I mean, how cool is that? They went out on a loving awesome note. Now look at bands that had they stopped years ago would have been respected more. Metallica, Slayer, Morbid Angel, Entombed, etc. I think they'd be respected more if they admitted what everyone else realizes, that it's time to quit.

Also, where do I start with Dust Bolt?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

rxcowboy posted:

Also, where do I start with Dust Bolt?

Violent Demolition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLI5M4OfNjQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKPMe5HT7VQ

I mean, they've only got one EP and one full length, so you can't really go wrong.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Worship Music was nice, even if it's more of a general heavy metal album than a rock album. It felt more honest than 13, which seemed like Dave Mustaine aiming for radio success when his songs intended to be radio friendly are absolutely terrible (Risk!). He needs to do another Endgame, which while batshit loving crazy about FEMA death camps and whatnot was really fun to listen to.

I'm morbidly curious about what Metallica and Slayer have planned next. Metallica says they want to make something "shorter and punchier" like the Black Album, but even that album only had a handful of songs that were around four minutes or less. It still had about four songs above six minutes, which lead the way to the plodding epics on their later works. And Slayer is just Slayer.

Really as long as Testament and Overkill don't self destruct then I'll be happy as far as the groups with old men playing thrash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Honestly I think another Death Magnetic-style record with more focused, pared-down songs and better production would be pretty solid. Also solos that aren't utterly abysmal, but that's a long shot at this point.