Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

vanilla slimfast posted:

If it's anything like the X1 you can just do general midi assignments which can be mapped however. The layout and design is really DJ-centric, however, so I think it's usefulness in that regard would be somewhat limited.

Most controllers that work well in a production context tend to be heavily weighted towards having a lot of knobs, faders, and pads like the Maschine or the APC40, for example

Yeah, well that would just be a side bonus as my initial focus is just learning to DJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

qirex posted:

The S2 has pitch faders.

Oh wow I actually had no clue.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

ashgromnies posted:

Like $100-200. I already have Traktor Scratch A6. My current mixer's an old Vestax from before the digital era. Now that I think about it, I can use Maschine as a midi controller for Traktor and control filters... just a pain in the rear end because it's not near the crossfader, ugh, stupid idea...

edit: oh wow you guys were having a parallel conversation and came to the same conclusion
Why not pick up a USB box o' knobs and map that poo poo out in Traktor. You can pick up something like an Akai LPD8 used for under $100.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

vas0line posted:

Why not pick up a USB box o' knobs and map that poo poo out in Traktor. You can pick up something like an Akai LPD8 used for under $100.

I got a used X1 for $50. I love it and cant recommend it enough. If you need knobs and buttons that things got them.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Y'all wanna check this out and hit the like button? :swoon:
I need peeps with soundcloud accounts. Also critiques and stuff too would be rad.

It's my first real foray into dub-stuff but I think it's pretty cool and you will too.

https://soundcloud.com/killstheprettyenemy/satisfied-crunked-out-d-con

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

vas0line posted:

The space the turntables are in is pretty cramped full of stuff already and I prefer the idea of having it on the mixer itself but it looks like that doesn't really exist. LPD8 looks real cool though and not very big at all, I could find space for it. Thanks!

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I apparently missed out on the S2 going for 399 in the past year. Does anyone know where I could scoop one up for that much still?

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

an skeleton posted:

I apparently missed out on the S2 going for 399 in the past year. Does anyone know where I could scoop one up for that much still?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Native-Inst...=item5aee0172cc

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
How sturdy are Traktor Audio 8's and are they still worth getting? Because my local store has a new in-box one for sale for the same price as a Audio 2. But there is no warranty, aside from the ones afforded to me via the Consumer Care act we have here. I'm wondering if it's worth getting instead of the Audio 2 I was planning on

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Solus posted:

How sturdy are Traktor Audio 8's and are they still worth getting? Because my local store has a new in-box one for sale for the same price as a Audio 2. But there is no warranty, aside from the ones afforded to me via the Consumer Care act we have here. I'm wondering if it's worth getting instead of the Audio 2 I was planning on

audio 8 is solid as a mothafucka. great sound card i would highly recommend.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

oredun posted:

audio 8 is solid as a mothafucka. great sound card i would highly recommend.

This. Get that poo poo, or buy it and sell it to me at a profit so I can have an extra.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Old Man Pants posted:

This. Get that poo poo, or buy it and sell it to me at a profit so I can have an extra.

SONOFABITCH. It was gone when I phoned to check if it was still there because I don't trust their website.

Now I don't know what to do.

Solus fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 10, 2013

Hidden Mother
Nov 12, 2012
Hoping this is the place to ask technical questions, apologies if not.

Planning on making the move to timecoded CDs, and I was wondering how simple the handover from a DJ using regular CDs would be? I'm pretty awful with the audio setup kind of things.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's as simple or complex as you want it to be. You should be mixing decent by the second session or so. the wiring aspect is tedious but not very difficult.

Hidden Mother
Nov 12, 2012

revmoo posted:

It's as simple or complex as you want it to be. You should be mixing decent by the second session or so. the wiring aspect is tedious but not very difficult.

Ahhhh, I meant in a club environment how easy is it for me to take over from the DJ on before me? (who in this hypothetical situation isn't using timecodes) In terms of connecting my laptop to the mixer and CDJs. My original question was a bit weirdly worded, sorry.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Hidden Mother posted:

Ahhhh, I meant in a club environment how easy is it for me to take over from the DJ on before me? (who in this hypothetical situation isn't using timecodes) In terms of connecting my laptop to the mixer and CDJs. My original question was a bit weirdly worded, sorry.

Ok, so lets say the prior DJ is using CDJ B. Now you unplug CDJ A and plug it into your DVS box, then you start a song mixing into his song or whatever you do, then as the first song is playing you plug CDJ B into your DVS box and boom youre done. Takes like 2 minutes if youve practiced.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Edit: Ignore me, I'm busy being overwhelmed with choice :smith:

Solus fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 11, 2013

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

oredun posted:

Ok, so lets say the prior DJ is using CDJ B. Now you unplug CDJ A and plug it into your DVS box, then you start a song mixing into his song or whatever you do, then as the first song is playing you plug CDJ B into your DVS box and boom youre done. Takes like 2 minutes if youve practiced.

Don't do this in a club until you can get this down pat though. The dj on will absolutely hate you.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

oredun posted:

Why don't burn your first (two, three) track on a CD? So you can connect your gear in peace.
Nothing more annoying then someone that's starting to pull out wires when you're still playing.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Sjoewe posted:

Why don't burn your first (two, three) track on a CD? So you can connect your gear in peace.
Nothing more annoying then someone that's starting to pull out wires when you're still playing.

This is very good advice; always have a backup plan. A wallet of CDs, a handful of records, a flash thumb drive or two, whatever.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
I'm trying to replace the power adapter for my Rane SL and I'm having a hard time finding a 3rd party one that fits. The manual says it's a "P6 Barrel Plug" and recommends one on Radioshack but I can't find anything similar on Amazon, which I thought was strange. It seems most of the plug sizes there are in millimeters instead. Any recommendations for a replacement or is the Radioshack one really the best bet?

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

defmacro posted:

I'm trying to replace the power adapter for my Rane SL and I'm having a hard time finding a 3rd party one that fits. The manual says it's a "P6 Barrel Plug" and recommends one on Radioshack but I can't find anything similar on Amazon, which I thought was strange. It seems most of the plug sizes there are in millimeters instead. Any recommendations for a replacement or is the Radioshack one really the best bet?

I typically just look in thrift stores, if have you decent thrift shops in your area it shouldn't take long to find the right one. Or at least you can find the right plug, and then put it onto a proper power supply

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

defmacro posted:

why in the world do you need to power a serato box?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

oredun posted:

why in the world do you need to power a serato box?

Usually the only reason why you would need to was if you wanted to use the THRU outputs without the SL box connected to a computer. Maybe during changeovers or something.

Speaking of Serato...

Is eBay my only choice for finding a Rane TTM57SL these days? I don't want a 62 and the 61 doesn't have normal booth outputs. :wtf:

I have a DJM700 and an SL3 now but since I've started doing video all of the extra MIDI poo poo I have to do is getting cumbersome.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

TheWevel posted:

Usually the only reason why you would need to was if you wanted to use the THRU outputs without the SL box connected to a computer. Maybe during changeovers or something.

Precisely this, pass through requires power in some form. The number of times I've been at a party where unplugging a laptop caused the music to go dead is definitely greater than zero

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
I was also at a gig last weekend where a dude with a VCI-300 that ALWAYS works at home, was drawing too much power from the USB port at the club. So he couldn't use the controller, because he didn't have power for it.

Lesson: anything that can be powered with a dedicated AC adapter, SHOULD be powered with a dedicated AC adapter

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I went and brought an X1 today to replace the Mixtrack I sold on Monday. I am in love already. :allears:

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I currently have nothing but a Mixtrack, but hoping to upgrade soon/eventually. You're using nothing but the X1 now?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Alfajor posted:

I currently have nothing but a Mixtrack, but hoping to upgrade soon/eventually. You're using nothing but the X1 now?

I'm using a X1 and a Remapped F1 that I got for Christmas that has the Faders controlling Volume/Crossfade/Tempo and the Buttons remapped to some custom effect combinations that I can't get as precise with the X1's effect knobs. It works nice for now until I get a mixer and change the F1 to something else.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Traktor for iPad finally happened I'll pass personally but its kinda a neat gimmick.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

Traktor for iPad finally happened I'll pass personally but its kinda a neat gimmick.

This actually looks really cool. The library sync in particular

If I were a touring DJ this would be a nice way to do library prep and test tracks out on an airplane or wherever

Don't know that I would ever use it as a performance tool but Richie Hawtin seems to be all about the gimmicky performance stuff

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Old Man Pants posted:

Doesn't seem like a gimmick to me. The ability to organize your library, cue points, etc on a tablet is something that the dj industry has been long overdue by years on.

Not to mention they said in the article that more features are coming.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Old Man Pants posted:

I don't have an iPad, but that sounds pretty cool and is a good sign. I've always wished there was a way to leverage my Traktor beat grids to do some basic headphone-less DJing on my phone on road trips. Hopefully they have something for Android in the works.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Abandon all Android hope. There are just waaaay too many platforms ranging from state of the art to completely obsolete garbage.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx
If Apple wants any more of my money then Native Instruments has to make a smaller version of Traktor to run on an Ipod Touch. Even if it was just a prep tool for single track+waveform playback, cue point setting, and tag and playlist editing, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Organizing my library while riding the bus or metro would be so loving awesome.

snakeandbake fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 23, 2013

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Also, Rekordbox.

Does anybody use Mixlr to broadcast live sets? I'm having trouble getting the application to work; it doesn't pick up audio from my interface. I record & monitor through a Mac with a TC Konnekt48 interface.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I finally updated my Macbook to OSX 10.6.8, and now I can run Serato DJ 1.1 (which has full support for my Mixtrack Pro).
Coming from Virtual DJ, I really like that the effects sound awesome. I don't like that I have to re-analyze my entire library, and a big negative is that you can't display "rating" on the library, since I was using that to annotate the energy of each track.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

^ I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Also, Rekordbox.

Does anybody use Mixlr to broadcast live sets? I'm having trouble getting the application to work; it doesn't pick up audio from my interface. I record & monitor through a Mac with a TC Konnekt48 interface.

I do, but I just use the line in on my imac.

And Rekordbox sucks rear end and crashes constantly.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, it does. But right now it's the only utility to edit cue and loop data away from my CDJs. It'd be nice if Pioneer tried to keep up with NI and made some sort of app. Like snakeandbake says, I'd be all over an app to allow me to test transitions or even just add cues for either Traktor or the CDJs, provided the library integration is good and it scales down nicely to an iPhone. Right now I'm using DJay to test transitions and writing stuff down - it works, but obviously it's very limited and there's no integration at all.

Thanks for the tip on Mixlr; I had a spare Y-cable laying around so I just connected the Record out of my DJM to my MacBook's line in. I really wish this would work on my monitoring computer with the TC interface, though, as I have a thing about running software in the background on my DJing laptop, plus I'm mildly suspect of the converter in its line input. But at least I've got signal now, thanks!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, it does. But right now it's the only utility to edit cue and loop data away from my CDJs. It'd be nice if Pioneer tried to keep up with NI and made some sort of app. Like snakeandbake says, I'd be all over an app to allow me to test transitions or even just add cues for either Traktor or the CDJs, provided the library integration is good and it scales down nicely to an iPhone. Right now I'm using DJay to test transitions and writing stuff down - it works, but obviously it's very limited and there's no integration at all.

Thanks for the tip on Mixlr; I had a spare Y-cable laying around so I just connected the Record out of my DJM to my MacBook's line in. I really wish this would work on my monitoring computer with the TC interface, though, as I have a thing about running software in the background on my DJing laptop, plus I'm mildly suspect of the converter in its line input. But at least I've got signal now, thanks!!!

The big problem I have with Rekordbox is that for me (perhaps I'm not using it correctly) it's a 1 device app. I can only use it with one external HD. So if I didn't have 900s or 2000s and needed to use 850s and have two separate external USB keys, Rekordbox would only recognize one of them.