Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

To be fair, Ysengrin was a pretty lovely medium.

Maybe Coyote will now appoint him as forest protector, contrasted with Jim & George. Imagine the situation when Annie realizes than the eager Ysengrin is the one watching her back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Given the way Reynardine is standing in that last panel, I'm pretty sure Coyote will appoint him as protector...

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Next page goes like this: confounded stammering, interrupted by "Then it is settled!"

And more confused expressions. And Headmaster's like, whatever.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

The first time or the second? :v:

The first time, the second, or the third? :v:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I just noticed they ripped the wings off of Robot's original body way back then. How sad to see a fallen angel. :(

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Gnome de plume posted:

Next page goes like this: confounded stammering, interrupted by "Then it is settled!"

And more confused expressions. And Headmaster's like, whatever.

Followed by a month of Spacemonauts. Now that Smitty's got courtly duties to attend, everyone else can make it to Terror Castle!

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

The third seems like a missed opportunity for some primo gashunk sound effects.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Oh poo poo, I thought of another direction this could go.

Coyote offers Annie the role of Medium. The audience objects, but the headmaster starts thinking that maybe he can use this to his advantage. He offers to lend him Annie, under a few very strict terms -- that she remain a resident in the Court, that she has limited visitation hours per month, that the Court retains the ability to reschedule visitations for health or academic issues, stuff like that. Coyote cheerfully agrees to everything. Annie can hardly believe it, but she realizes that this can be used to her advantage as well. She announces that she accepts the position, she steps forward to shake his paw and seal the deal...

And then Coyote just laughs in her face.

"Did you all really think I'm dumb enough to pick my Medium out of the ranks of the Court?! How easy it was to take her from you, Headmaster! Surely you meant to use her as a weapon, not so! And Fire Head Girl! How eagerly you agreed to turn coat! To spite the Court, perhaps? Or did you have an agenda of your own? Well, this has all been very amusing, but Chuckles and I will take our leave now. I'll be back in a day or two with my REAL nomination for Medium. Ta!"

And then Annie, utterly humiliated and marked as a traitor, starts running toward the Annan Ravine. At an angle from the bridge.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
What would be the point of that, though? Coyote's a prankster, but he's never been that mean spirited. He doesn't seem like the kind of person to be that spiteful.

motbob
Feb 19, 2009

Rasamune posted:

Coyote offers Annie the role of Medium. The audience objects, but the headmaster starts thinking that maybe he can use this to his advantage. He offers to lend him Annie, under a few very strict terms -- that she remain a resident in the Court, that she has limited visitation hours per month, that the Court retains the ability to reschedule visitations for health or academic issues, stuff like that. Coyote cheerfully agrees to everything. Annie can hardly believe it, but she realizes that this can be used to her advantage as well. She announces that she accepts the position, she steps forward to shake his paw and seal the deal...

"Did you all really think I'm dumb enough to pick my Medium out of the ranks of the Court?! How easy it was to take her from you, Headmaster! Surely you meant to use her as a weapon, not so! And Fire Head Girl! How eagerly you agreed to turn coat! To spite the Court, perhaps? Or did you have an agenda of your own? Well, this has all been very amusing, but Chuckles and I will take our leave now. I'll be back in a day or two with my REAL nomination for Medium. Ta!"

And then Annie, utterly humiliated and marked as a traitor, starts running toward the Annan Ravine. At an angle from the bridge.

The art on this page is too much of a Big Moment for it to be a fakeout.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Doctor Zaius posted:

What would be the point of that, though?

Sowing seeds of mistrust and despair among the Court's ranks, I would figure.

But yeah, more likely he really wants the fire-head-girl as his agent.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That sounds way too over-the-top mustache twirling cackling evil villain for Coyote.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rasamune posted:

You are not me. You cannot dictate how Gunnerkrigg will proceed by posting here. Stop trying to be me.

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space
This has probably been discussed to death but maybe the whole reason Coyote set up the Ysengrin-goes-crazy-tree-spider-mode thing was so that Annie would be more likely to accept the position. If she was still totally buddy-buddy with Ysengrin she'd probably tell Coyote no because he's putting him down again this page. Now she's more likely to be OK with taking his job.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PlotDevice posted:

This has probably been discussed to death but maybe the whole reason Coyote set up the Ysengrin-goes-crazy-tree-spider-mode thing was so that Annie would be more likely to accept the position. If she was still totally buddy-buddy with Ysengrin she'd probably tell Coyote no because he's putting him down again this page. Now she's more likely to be OK with taking his job.

I dunno, if I were Annie I'd be more hesitant about going to work for the faction whose second in command just tried to murder me again, this time really hard.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

PlotDevice posted:

Only wrinkle is that she still seems pretty close to him and probably wouldn't want to find out what happens when she says something that she can actually expect to upset him

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
I don't think that "Oh, he's not cute and cuddly, he's actually a loosely-hinged homicidal maniac!" is going to make her more likely to take the position. (e:fb)

I admittedly can't really comprehend Coyote here, but I do wonder if:
1. Ysengrin's belief in Coyote sustains him, and taking the more emotional of his memories sustains him more than otherwise,
and, on a more likely note,
2. Coyote thinks Ysengrin is getting played out (either sustenance or amusement-wise, since Ysen doesn't react to Coyote's taunting anymore) and this is all a long con to get a fresh toy to take Ysen's spot in the form of Renard. "My ridiculously convoluted plan is one quarter complete!"

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space
It didn't really strike me that she thought he was a homicidal maniac. Even after jimmy jims brought her back to the court she was mainly concerned if he was alright.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Yeah, she seems to have believed Jones that Coyote was influencing him. I guess she learned not to hold people responsible for what they do in magically altered states of mind after Jack called her out on being mad at him for things he couldn't control.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Man, I've got a bad feeling that either Parley or Smitty are going to end up accepting a ~*Gift*~ from Coyote. :ohdear:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

No.44 posted:

Man, I've got a bad feeling that either Parley or Smitty are going to end up accepting a ~*Gift*~ from Coyote. :ohdear:

How would you like this shield that's hard enough to deflect any sword? :haw:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

PlotDevice posted:

It didn't really strike me that she thought he was a homicidal maniac. Even after jimmy jims brought her back to the court she was mainly concerned if he was alright.

I got that vibe there, but her inability to look him in the eyes in this chapter seems pretty indicative that she's still going to be as careful around him as if it were true.

Which makes sense, since she doesn't know what might set him off, coyote-controlled or not.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Rasamune posted:

How would you like this shield that's hard enough to deflect any sword? :haw:

It even comes with a snazzy binding! ;)

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
I really am looking forward to the day Ysengrin "Vaders" Coyote's rear end.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Thanks to those who commented on my stuff yesterday! I managed to get a rushed Coyote page done, sort of. The only colour pencils I have are Boxbot levels of quality, but:

(Is it cool to post stuff like this in here repeatedly? Should it be linked instead?)

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I dunno, if I were Annie I'd be more hesitant about going to work for the faction whose second in command just tried to murder me again, this time really hard.

That's what I think as well. I think we all would agree that Annie not accepting would be the most sensible thing to do.

But that would make for a boring story :toot:

Battle Pigeon posted:

Thanks to those who commented on my stuff yesterday! I managed to get a rushed Coyote page done, sort of. The only colour pencils I have are Boxbot levels of quality, but:

(Is it cool to post stuff like this in here repeatedly? Should it be linked instead?)

Poor Boxbot. Nobody likes him :(

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
FWIW, I think it's pretty cool =)

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Party coyote's pretty cool.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think Coyote would be fairly amenable to party hats.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Battle Pigeon posted:

I love how even Coyote can't find Boxbot funny or interesting.

Poor Boxbot.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Somewhere along the line, I recall a page where the commentary said something to the effect of "One of the words on this page is more important than the rest". Anyone remember where that was?

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Axiem posted:

Somewhere along the line, I recall a page where the commentary said something to the effect of "One of the words on this page is more important than the rest". Anyone remember where that was?

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/index.php?p=528

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

The word is presumably 'waiting'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cestrian posted:

That's my guess, but I won't take it for granted.

Also, I never noticed how Mort's arms blur into wings there, that's an awesome effect.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
That ties into Parley's comment about something like "a fencer like that should have killed us" when she and Annie were like caught or whatever. Even though Jeane definitely reacts poorly to people showing up, I guess it is true that if she wanted to she could have killed Annie the first time and both of them the second time, or whatever she'd do as a ghost person.

The thing with Jeane seemed to me like it was some sort of human sacrifice that the Court made in order to make the Annan Waters more secure, maybe? But maybe it's also got more behind it than that.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Cestrian posted:

I'm pretty sure Tom specifically confirmed that on his Formspring, yeah.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

That's my guess, but I won't take it for granted.

Also, I never noticed how Mort's arms blur into wings there, that's an awesome effect.

That's Muut.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Phy posted:

That's Muut.

:bang: Yeah, I know.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cestrian posted:

No. The key word was "hear". Oh wait, that was a different key word thing. :v:

Hey look at that, this was page 1000. Annie wouldn't hear from her dad until the 1000th page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Cat Mattress posted:

No. The key word was "hear". Oh wait, that was a different key word thing. :v:

Hey look at that, this was page 1000. Annie wouldn't hear from her dad until the 1000th page.

Curiously the page that references doesn't say that there's a key word, when the one with Muut does, and I don't recall it ever being revealed which word it is. Perhaps it's "alone", "help", or "time".