Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

eSports Chaebol posted:

George Romney didn't have much of a chance a generation ago either, so it's not like Republicans were that much less conservative.

Well, Romney self-destructed over claiming the Pentagon had "brainwashed" him over the Vietnam war. His collapse was due more to inept campaigning than his particular views.

The winds had changed, however, and the Rockefeller/Romney liberal wing of the party was in decline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

eSports Chaebol posted:

George Romney didn't have much of a chance a generation ago either, so it's not like Republicans were that much less conservative.

Over the summer my aging uncle showed me his Romney pin. Apparently before he joined the service he was a big George Romney fan.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

1. Carson is a Christian fundamentalist and finds comfort in the social circles of other Christen fundamentalists.
2. One of the two political parties contains a significant percentage of Christian fundamentalists as members.
3. Carson is not informed / doesn't feel strongly about many issues (just like almost everyone) and adopts the views of the social circle he is apart of.
4. Believing in biblical infallibility and hostility to evolution leads to favoring health savings accounts and tax cuts for the wealthy.

You forgot 5. (though arguably it's part of 1)

5. Proponent of Intelligent Design.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Hopefully Carson's self-aware enough to savor his 15 minutes before he's relegated to the Black Tea Party Hero Graveyard alongside Allen West, Alan Keyes, Mia Love, and the Herminator.

And they thirsted not when he led them through the deserts

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Meanwhile in Montana.

quote:

We spoke to Schweitzer on Wednesday and he said, "I am not goofy enough to be in the House, and I'm not senile enough to be in the Senate."

He did however say he would have big news for us in the next week or so. In the meantime he is at his place on Georgetown Lake snowmobiling and putting logs on the fire.

:raise: (Crossposted from the midterms thread (we have one of those!) because it's clearly relevant to both)

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

mcmagic posted:

Well in fairness that IS how republicans used to be before the monster they created with their batshit base took over.

You know, I wonder just how aware Huntsman was of his party. Because it depends on the circles you run in. Coming from a major liberal area, all the batshit loving insane, ranting out of their mouths, vicious, hate filled, and just outright nasty individuals I run into are die hard partisan Democrats. The Republicans around here, all very nice, polite, charitable, country club type likeable people, and all completely sane. I've been to places where this is reversed though, tends to be in conservative strongholds.

I could totally buy that Huntsman just didn't realize how much of "the base" in the areas it's strongest in was totally deranged, because he never really ran into them for any extended period. That most republicans were like the type he knew from business, being a governor, and being a US Ambassador twice. Because the way he ran the campaign it seemed he was going for the Washington DC, Chicago, NYC, Republican socialite crowd from the cocktail parties. You know, the kind of people who'd be impressed when you say global warming is real, gays are OK, and you speak Chinese to them.

I travel in the circles where that poo poo sells off and on, and a good majority of them are completely oblivious as to what the majority of their political allies are actually like.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

SilentD posted:

You know, I wonder just how aware Huntsman was of his party. Because it depends on the circles you run in. Coming from a major liberal area, all the batshit loving insane, ranting out of their mouths, vicious, hate filled, and just outright nasty individuals I run into are die hard partisan Democrats. The Republicans around here, all very nice, polite, charitable, country club type likeable people, and all completely sane. I've been to places where this is reversed though, tends to be in conservative strongholds.

I could totally buy that Huntsman just didn't realize how much of "the base" in the areas it's strongest in was totally deranged, because he never really ran into them for any extended period. That most republicans were like the type he knew from business, being a governor, and being a US Ambassador twice. Because the way he ran the campaign it seemed he was going for the Washington DC, Chicago, NYC, Republican socialite crowd from the cocktail parties. You know, the kind of people who'd be impressed when you say global warming is real, gays are OK, and you speak Chinese to them.

I travel in the circles where that poo poo sells off and on, and a good majority of them are completely oblivious as to what the majority of their political allies are actually like.

Yeah I totally have contrarian counterintuitive anecdotes too, hold on I'll dig/make some up in a few minutes.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

SilentD posted:

Huntsman was governor of Utah, he'd have to have been willfully ignorant to have avoided the Republican base there.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Vivek posted:

Huntsman was governor of Utah, he'd have to have been willfully ignorant to have avoided the Republican base there.

More to the point--it was until August of 2009. If it wasn't already completely obvious before January 2009, it certainly would've been totally blatant after that.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile in Montana.

:raise: (Crossposted from the midterms thread (we have one of those!) because it's clearly relevant to both)

Schweitzer/Castro v Christie/anyone in 2016. I want to see that map.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Phoon posted:

Schweitzer/Castro v Christie/anyone in 2016. I want to see that map.

We really don't have a sense of how Schweitzer will play on a big stage yet. There is a sense that he has a lot of superficial characteristics that should appeal to many Republicans (bolo tie wearing guy from the Great American West with a great dog) and is willing to be more progressive than a lot of prominent Democrats, but he hasn't had to win at a national level or in a really big state.

Rick Perry and Sarah Palin looked pretty good as sketched outlines of candidates before everyone got to know them a lot better too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Schweitzer will not play well with women. His huckster Barnum car salesman act a lot of posters here find so charming, the women I've asked about find it lame and another kind of macho bullshit. I kind of agree.

I mean, he has a literal branding iron he uses to veto bills, and people think that is a cool awesome thing to do and not a parody? Riding around saying yee haw with a bolo tie on showing off his gun collection, why should that impress anyone?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

greatn posted:

Schweitzer will not play well with women. His huckster Barnum car salesman act a lot of posters here find so charming, the women I've asked about find it lame and another kind of macho bullshit. I kind of agree.

I mean, he has a literal branding iron he uses to veto bills, and people think that is a cool awesome thing to do and not a parody? Riding around saying yee haw with a bolo tie on showing off his gun collection, why should that impress anyone?

Yeah he act is a little small time for president. I could see him in the senate though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Of course my sample pool of women are mostly liberal arts professors, so there's obviously not a wide ranging cross section.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Clinton/Schweitzer 2016, make it happen.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Schweitzer doesn't annoy me perhaps as much as he should because he uses the cowboy BS to push a genuinely liberal agenda. Hell, didn't he try to get single-payer in Montana when he was governor?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

greatn posted:

It's sort of charming because I find politics fairly ridiculous and I interpret his behavior as reflecting that. At that level, a politician's public persona is always an act, so there's something endearing about how explicitly his is an act.

I do agree that it would come off poorly on a national level. He could keep some of his plain-spoken persona, but poo poo like the branding iron is just too much.

greatn posted:

Of course my sample pool of women are mostly liberal arts professors, so there's obviously not a wide ranging cross section.

My recollection is that polling backs this up somewhat. He does better with women than men because, well, he's a Democrat, but he does so with smaller margins than other Montana Democrats or than President Obama in Montana. Of course, this could also reflect unusually popularity with men for a Democrat, and I haven't seen any analysis which would try to distinguish the two.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

greatn posted:

Yeah, but is he going to alienate women enough to stay home? Who's he really competing against anyway?

I don't see how he'd do worse than even Ayotte, and I'm sure he'd tone down a little bit of the hucksterism if/when he decides to throw his hat in the ring.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Alter Ego posted:

Schweitzer doesn't annoy me perhaps as much as he should because he uses the cowboy BS to push a genuinely liberal agenda. Hell, didn't he try to get single-payer in Montana when he was governor?

Schweitzer's great on a few things like health care and good government, and because Montana ran budget surpluses he wasn't forced to make the sorts of thorny decisions that have caused other Democrats to not act very Democratic on things like budgets and labor. But in the broader picture Schweitzer's very much your typical rural conservadem; he's a tough on crime warrior, he's very anti-gun control, he's a big tax cutter, he's been one of the strongest supporters of the Keystone pipeline, etc. This is the type of Democrat that can win in Montana (Jon Tester has a fairly similar issue profile), but he's really not a liberal.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

greatn posted:

Because he does it in Arabic!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I think my favorite Schweitzer myth/story is that when the Tea Partiers in his legislature made passing a budget into a huge ordeal, he went through the passed bill and line-item vetoed out all the stuff that would've gone to the TP districts in the name of "cutting costs". This may have been exaggerated or embellished, but I really hope that it's true.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I think his was the last campaign that Sirota worked on and he's pretty sincerely lefty, so much so that he seems to mainly sit on the fringes these days lobbing spitballs between opinion pieces. I'd be interested to see what he thinks of the Governor's record since, at the time, he was really high on Schweitzer.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
I have no idea what Schweitzer's true beliefs are, but two things are clear:

1) He's an extremely gifted and canny politician, corny showboating and all (Sirota has an essay about his experience on the first gubernatorial campaign online somewhere that really drives this point home);

2) Warts and all, he's probably about as far to the left as you could ever hope to get from a Montana Democrat.

If he really wants to run for president (as he's hinted at a few times), he knows he'll have to move to the left on some of the issues jeffersonlives mentioned.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Lol, Schweitzer just shared this link on his Facebook page with no comment:

http://www.nationaljournal.com/poli...ejg56A0M.mailto

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

showbiz_liz posted:

Lol, Schweitzer just shared this link on his Facebook page with no comment:

http://www.nationaljournal.com/poli...ejg56A0M.mailto

It's good for him, esp is he's getting ready to run for the Sanate, for people to be talking about him as a presidential candidate. I doubt he runs though.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's the 2016 weekly recap. Last week my favorite story was Rand Paul denying he wore a hairpiece. This week? The first in (what is sure to be) a long-running series of stories about voters struggling to remember Martin O'Malley.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mcmagic posted:

It's good for him, esp is he's getting ready to run for the Sanate, for people to be talking about him as a presidential candidate. I doubt he runs though.

It's like a mashup of 'Sane' and 'Senate,' comical as it is contrarian.

I know it's a typo, but the Senate is anything but sane and there's never a bad time to point that out. Unless it is from the House of Representatives that one is making such a claim, in which case they'd still be right in the absolute but hilariously wrong in the relative. Much like how Chris Christie might call Michael Moore or Rush Limbaugh fat. Yes, they are both clearly tubby, but Governor Krispy Kreme over there has about as much room to talk as his fat rear end does in a freight elevator.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Some states just won't give up on rigging the 2016 election, like Pennsylvania and Michigan.

http://www.nationalmemo.com/gop-plot-to-steal-the-2016-election-continues/

National Memo posted:

Michigan’s Republican Party approved a resolution Saturday that would change the way the states award electoral votes from the winner-take-all system that has existed since the state’s admission to the Union.

A total of 14 votes would be awarded to the candidate with the most votes in each congressional district and two would go to the overall winner of the state’s popular vote.

Under this scheme, Mitt Romney would likely have won 10 of the state’s electoral votes to President Obama’s six — despite the fact that Obama carried the state by nearly 10 percent.

The resolution was introduced by Rep. Pete Lund (R), who offered electoral college reform legislation in 2011 that would have given Romney the state, but which state Republicans rejected because they assumed the GOP nominee, a Michigan native and son of a former governor, would win the state.

Lund will likely reintroduce the bill in 2013. Republicans have majorities in both state houses and Republican governor Rick Snyder is supportive of the plan, but questions its timing.

“The right way is to talk about it in a bipartisan way … just prior to a census,” Snyder said.

Snyder’s approval rating has declined rapidly since he signed anti-union legislation during last year’s lame-duck session. He’s since tried to move back to the center by saying he’d like the state to accept Medicaid expansion.

Michigan’s shift of 10 electoral votes to Romney would not have swung the 2012 election for Romney. However, if all the states that have suggested changing the way they award their electors — Michigan, Virginia, Ohio, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania — had done so, Romney would likely be in the White House now, which is why Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus endorsed the scheme.

The idea has been rejected by a few top Republicans — like Paul Ryan (R-WI) and Virginia governor Bob McDonnell (R-VA) — and thus faded from the agendas in Virginia, Ohio and Wisconsin.

But in Pennsylvania — the state where voter ID was supposed to give the election to Romney — the effort continues.

A new bill that would rig the state’s electoral votes has been introduced by 13 Republican state senators. That support represents half the total votes the bill would need to pass the Senate. The bill could be on the desk of Governor Tom Corbett — who would sign it — this week.

Pennsylvania, like Michigan, has voted Democratic in every presidential election since 1992.

"We believed the polls and assumed all was well, we won't be so gullible next time!"

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

Here's the 2016 weekly recap. Last week my favorite story was Rand Paul denying he wore a hairpiece. This week? The first in (what is sure to be) a long-running series of stories about voters struggling to remember Martin O'Malley.

If Bob Shrum doesn't think O'Malley can win, does that mean he's a solid pick?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chris Christie wasn't invited to CPAC. The conservative movement hates him.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Chris Christie wasn't invited to CPAC. The conservative movement hates him.
Even Chris Hayes was invited.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ufarn posted:

I like that he was going to go at first and then decided against it because of GOProud getting shut out... Like it took that for him to realize that CPAC was full of bigots... That would've been an epic panel to watch online though.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ufarn posted:

He is one of America's leading conservatives.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I like that he was going to go at first and then decided against it because of GOProud getting shut out... Like it took that for him to realize that CPAC was full of bigots... That would've been an epic panel to watch online though.
And ... I mean, it's GOProud. Lot of pride there is in always backing down from an LGBT fight.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ufarn posted:

And ... I mean, it's GOProud. Lot of pride there is in always backing down from an LGBT fight.

They are pretty much College Republican/Breitards who happen to be gay and feel like talking about it once a year or so before they go back to supporting candidates who demagogue them.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

mcmagic posted:

They are pretty much College Republican/Breitards who happen to be gay and feel like talking about it once a year or so before they go back to supporting candidates who demagogue them.
Reminder that GOProud took no position of same sex marriage until last month.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Because a group viewing you as a sub human is no reason not to agree with them about loving over poor people!

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Well before then their position was abject capitulation, it's the specific reason why they broke off from the Log Cabin Republicans.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They're more GOProstrate or GOPassive, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Joe Biden picked up his first endorsement from the Governor of Delaware.

• Locked thread