Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Victoria 2 version: Unpause the game :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Does MOTE represent the colonial empires in any way?

Enrico Dandolo
Aug 6, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does MOTE represent the colonial empires in any way?

Spain gets an income boost event with some text and maybe there's something similar for Britain but that's it so basically uh no, it doesn't.

Clearly AGEOD had a larger role for un-Europe when they ran the project and probably due to that there are American portraits in the game files, so there's a possibility of DLC I s'pose.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

The Victoria 2 version: Unpause the game :smugbert:

I'm terrible at Vic 2 in every way, probably because I refuse to play Vanilla and gently caress around with mods all the time. I tried out the Divergences mod which is pretty cool and actually managed to kick Japan out of Korea and start industrializing it (Korea is in a good spot here, being a civilized nation), and I also like the Realism and Rebalance mod.

I suck at war though, and I routinely get my rear end kicked because of masssive attrition modifiers all over the place. I like to play as Sweden to form Scandinavia with a furniture/lumber based economy, but I can never build a large enough fleet to challenge Russia and take back Finland, and even if I could I doubt I could challenge their armies even if they have to march across the northern mountains to reach me.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Demiurge4 posted:

I suck at war though, and I routinely get my rear end kicked because of masssive attrition modifiers all over the place. I like to play as Sweden to form Scandinavia with a furniture/lumber based economy, but I can never build a large enough fleet to challenge Russia and take back Finland, and even if I could I doubt I could challenge their armies even if they have to march across the northern mountains to reach me.

Form an alliance with Prussia/Austria/Ottomans and tag-team on Russia. Unless you have a major technological advantage (possible in the 1880s) you are not going to beat Russia in a straight up war. Make sure you fight defensively and focus on capturing the Finnish lands, but let your allies do the brunt of the fighting, as your own soldier POPs are too valuable, and might as well let them bleed Russia. I've done it before, and you can capture one of your cores at a time comfortably enough, more if your allies absolutely trample the Russian hordes.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.

Thanks, this does help. I guess I still have a few questions though.

1. Is it normal to spend a lot of time doing nothing in the early game? My understanding is that industrialization is unavaliable for most counties until a little while into the game, so what should I be doing beforehand, besides stockpiling machine parts? in the few games I played, I would end up setting the sliders at the beginning, then going "welp, now what?"

2. Can I get the crash course on colonization? It seems like it ought to be a pretty big deal considering the time period, but I can't find very many places that explain it.

3. And lastly, this one's less of a gameplay question, but does the Ottoman Empire crumble and fall apart in this game often like it did in history? I'd really like to play a game as Greece and it would be nice to be able to snap up provinces from them as things go downhill for them.

Jygallax fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 21, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Gorgo Primus posted:

My apologies, it appears I inserted the Edit with clarification on the very next post of mine instead, when someone asked me what I meant. In any event this argument is getting silly and slightly disruptive to the thread; perhaps we should cease our back and forth and White Peace out?

Certainly.

In other news, Heart of Darkness dev diary:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?669529-Heart-of-Darkness-%E2%80%93-DD-1-%E2%80%93-Newspapers!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've been giving the Communist Germany mod for Darkest Hour a go this week and I'm actually very impressed. It's a lot more fleshed-out than I was expecting and the knock-on effects of having Germany be communist (and especially non-Stalinist and leader of the Fourth International) are really interestingly played. Britain going fascist then having a civil war in which I am intervening is just the icing on the cake of my playthrough. :allears:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

I love the newspapers, something similar in CK2/EU4 would be amazing (town crier in CK2?) but it does fit the feel of the Victorian period more than it would that of other games.

John Charity Spring posted:

I've been giving the Communist Germany mod for Darkest Hour a go this week and I'm actually very impressed. It's a lot more fleshed-out than I was expecting and the knock-on effects of having Germany be communist (and especially non-Stalinist and leader of the Fourth International) are really interestingly played. Britain going fascist then having a civil war in which I am intervening is just the icing on the cake of my playthrough. :allears:

I just read through that thread and holy poo poo I want someone to LP this, it sounds like it's actually pretty historically plausible and a very interesting scenario.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 21, 2013

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Maybe, just maybe I'll actually try and learn how Victoria works because HoD sounds fun. But then when I tried it last Sunday I got utterly lost and didn't even know which version to play.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Jygallax posted:

3. And lastly, this one's less of a gameplay question, but does the Ottoman Empire crumble and fall apart in this game often like it did in history? I'd really like to play a game as Greece and it would be nice to be able to snap up provinces from them as things go downhill for them.

The only nation I've seen succumb to a nationalistic rebellion in my last 10 games is Spain, losing Catalonia and Cuba. The Ottoman empire usually keeps hold of its territory, but it'll often have problems with anarcho-liberals and communists, so you'll have ample opportunities to grab some territory. As Greece you can gain a huge technological advantage over OE, so you might even be able to defeat them in a straight war after some time.

Edit: Sorry, this is about Victoria 2.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 21, 2013

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

RabidWeasel posted:

I just read through that thread and holy poo poo I want someone to LP this, it sounds like it's actually pretty historically plausible and a very interesting scenario.

I might well LP it. Maybe next month. We'll see!

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Thanks for separating the national stockpile slider into maintenance and construction, that always really bothered me.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
HoD looks great. The newspapers are a great idea, creating a digest of important events in the world would be a good thing as often things on the "events" mini-icons go by too fast.

Edit: Oh so that isn't really what newspapers are. Well that's what they should be!

Edit: oh maybe it is. Hm. When is HoD out?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I was reading it and thinking that the newspapers were great, then I saw the little blurb about the new national stockpile sliders and I came.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Right, I'm buying Heart of Darkness.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jygallax posted:

1. Is it normal to spend a lot of time doing nothing in the early game? My understanding is that industrialization is unavaliable for most counties until a little while into the game, so what should I be doing beforehand, besides stockpiling machine parts? in the few games I played, I would end up setting the sliders at the beginning, then going "welp, now what?"

2. Can I get the crash course on colonization? It seems like it ought to be a pretty big deal considering the time period, but I can't find very many places that explain it.

1. Pretty much yes. After you set-up your sliders, you generally have to wait until the Industrial techs come in, you can afford to promote some POPs to Capitalists, and then either afford a factory or for the Capis to build one for you.

2. Colonization does not come in until much later, except for the western United States/Mexico, Southern Argentina and I think Siberia for Russia. Basically, every province has a "life rating" that determines whether or not you can colonize it yet.

Most of Africa is "locked" under low life ratings until you discover Medicine in the Industrial tree, Nationalism and Imperialism in the Cultural tree, and finally Machine Guns in the Land Military tree. Machine Guns won't be available until 1880 at the earliest.

Once you have the necessary techs, you'll be able to build various buildings in uncolonized provinces: Missions, Trading Posts, Colonial Fortresses and Coaling Stations. The first two don't really do anything. A Colonial Fortress will cause the province to have a fort level once you claim the colony for your nation. A Coaling Station will allow your ships to dock at that province even while it's still a colony (although there is no naval supply limit in Vic 1, so this mostly just makes unloading faster).

Every colonial building costs at least 5k gold, 0.5 machine parts, 1 leadership point and some other various resources, although the cost shouldn't be prohibitive by 1880.

Anyway, if you have at least one colonial building in each province of a state, you can claim the colony. You score some prestige and the POPs start working for you.

Alternatively, if you have all four colonial buildings in a single province of a state, and all other provinces of the state have at least one colonial building from someone, then you can claim the colony as well.

3. Yes, the Ottoman Empire has a bunch of vanilla events such as the Crimean War and the Congress of Berlin that push it along the path to fracturing.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Paradox Grand Strategy: We are preparing for the worse.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
One feature that would drastically improve V2 for me would be a redesigned rally point system. My proposal is that when you select a province you can open a create army menu where you can recruit from all connected provinces. So you can select one province, order 6 guards, 2 cavalry and 4 artillery which will be drawn from the closest provinces, then you can select another province and do the same thing. The problem with rally points in the game now is that if I want 3 armies in 3 neighbouring provinces I still have to split and move regiments around manually, because most of them will probably end up in the rally point closest to the rest of my provinces.

I'd really like something like this, because managing and recruiting armies in the late game gets really tedious, and is the number 1 reason I usually abandon games.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

meatbag posted:

Paradox Grand Strategy: We are preparing for the worse.

Maybe they should hire a proofreader at some point. All their games seem riddled with spelling and grammar errors and it just looks unprofessional.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Did anyone get that Map Generator mod for EU3 working?
My game keeps crashing I've tried about 4 different maps now, first with the 5.2 Beta and now with a fresh 5.1 steam install. EU3 simply crashes after it's almost loaded all the data at start up.

One thing I noticed is that the Mod forum page warns to wait till it's fully exported, but on my MacBook Pro this seems to happen pretty much instantly?

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Jygallax posted:

You should be farming other countries for prestige and resources. Even a poo poo heap like Krakow can be getting poo poo done early on, although that's an extreme display of abuse.

edit: oh you're playing v1. nvm then

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 21, 2013

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

Gort posted:

Maybe they should hire a proofreader at some point. All their games seem riddled with spelling and grammar errors and it just looks unprofessional.

Yeah. The switches between past and present tense throughout those newspapers is bad enough. Grammar is appalling throughout.

C'mon, paradox, "courage push the bravery" was endearing but you're a significant company now!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Gort posted:

Well, to be fair, those ARE beta screenshots, and beta screenshots of unusually text-heavy stuff, too. From what I recall their more recent releases have tended to be better about outright errors, even if there's the odd bit of sentence structuring and the like.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gort posted:

I'm sure they're going to have someone proofread it eventually. Crusader Kings II was actually fairly polished in that regard.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

RagnarokAngel posted:

You kinda need the quote to give context

"In 1850 things were looking good for the Ottoman Empire, a successful war had just been concluded, re-taking large areas recently lost to the Egyptian rebellion, and greatly raising the prestige of the nation which was now reckoned to be the 5th Greatest Power in all the world. The Empire hoped to enter a period of stability and development, but this was not to be. Unruly Greek subjects in the Ottoman state of Thesslia, supported by the neighbouring Greek nation, had used the distraction of the latest war to stage several large demonstrations against Ottoman rule. While normally no more than a minor concern, this time Greece had been able to attract international interest in the Thesslian uprising, and Great Britain had expressed sympathy towards the Greek's position that Thesslia should be governed by them. The stage was set for an international crisis."

So it sounds like they'll be adding cultural uprisings with other great powers showing interest.

Ideally this means a lot of English colonies will now revolt which could help cut down England's power.

This sounds suspiciously like Victoria will finally have some sort of espionage system.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tahirovic posted:

Did anyone get that Map Generator mod for EU3 working?
My game keeps crashing I've tried about 4 different maps now, first with the 5.2 Beta and now with a fresh 5.1 steam install. EU3 simply crashes after it's almost loaded all the data at start up.

One thing I noticed is that the Mod forum page warns to wait till it's fully exported, but on my MacBook Pro this seems to happen pretty much instantly?

Are you SURE it's fully exported? You'll click export and it will look like it's done, but there's tiny text above the preview map that will change a few times as it cranks away and then finally say something like 'exporting finished'. Try leaving it for a few minutes.

I suppose it's also possible it's not Mac compatible? Works fine on Windows 7 on my PC, so I dunno. If you're sure it's fully exporting (again give it a few minutes) try posting in the thread on the Paradox forums. The developer reads it still I think.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
If the newspaper system ends up working it'll be a pretty awesome step forward for Paradox games. I have the habit of ignoring anything not directly relevant to my country for years on end then looking up to find out entire empires have risen and fallen while I wasn't looking, and it's often bloody hard to try to piece together what exactly happened. It's obviously a challenging because of how complex their games are and how many countries are running about doing their thing but I hope something like this gets put into all their games from now on. :allears:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
...Is it odd that I'm amused they're doing something that was in SimCity 2000? Like, it's taken so long to do this again?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

Are you SURE it's fully exported? You'll click export and it will look like it's done, but there's tiny text above the preview map that will change a few times as it cranks away and then finally say something like 'exporting finished'. Try leaving it for a few minutes.

I suppose it's also possible it's not Mac compatible? Works fine on Windows 7 on my PC, so I dunno. If you're sure it's fully exporting (again give it a few minutes) try posting in the thread on the Paradox forums. The developer reads it still I think.

Got it working now, looks like the latest version and not the latest "stable" one is the way to go. Now all I need to do is try merge some of the Miscmod/Kersch stuff into this and i'll have the best EU3 experience ever.

Edit: With the newest version you see the progress text for the export, with the old one you don't see anything.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Please put the newspaper title for Babylon in cuneiform. Thanks!

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Nightblade posted:

One feature that would drastically improve V2 for me would be a redesigned rally point system. My proposal is that when you select a province you can open a create army menu where you can recruit from all connected provinces. So you can select one province, order 6 guards, 2 cavalry and 4 artillery which will be drawn from the closest provinces, then you can select another province and do the same thing. The problem with rally points in the game now is that if I want 3 armies in 3 neighbouring provinces I still have to split and move regiments around manually, because most of them will probably end up in the rally point closest to the rest of my provinces.

I'd really like something like this, because managing and recruiting armies in the late game gets really tedious, and is the number 1 reason I usually abandon games.

There's actually something similar to this in MotE. The military screen pulls up a full list of all provinces that you can build the selected unit in, with each one going to the closest rally point. And it can be sorted by rally point so you can do that and then build in the provinces that'll go there. You can also sort by the amount of time it'll take to build the unit and so on, it's pretty great.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Noreaus posted:

Yeah. The switches between past and present tense throughout those newspapers is bad enough. Grammar is appalling throughout.

C'mon, paradox, "courage push the bravery" was endearing but you're a significant company now!
It's actually based on the literacy of your country - the more literate, the less errors in the newspapers, to really give the player a sense of how their country is doing. Likewise, the quality of the print/photos in the newspapers depend on your technologies.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Zeron posted:

There's actually something similar to this in MotE. The military screen pulls up a full list of all provinces that you can build the selected unit in, with each one going to the closest rally point. And it can be sorted by rally point so you can do that and then build in the provinces that'll go there. You can also sort by the amount of time it'll take to build the unit and so on, it's pretty great.

Yeah, I just realized that after writing the post. It's almost exactly what I want, but if you could choose exactly where the armies would go each time it would be perfect.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's actually based on the literacy of your country - the more literate, the less errors in the newspapers, to really give the player a sense of how their country is doing. Likewise, the quality of the print/photos in the newspapers depend on your technologies.

Thats... actually a pretty neat idea.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Janissary Hop posted:

You should be farming other countries for prestige and resources. Even a poo poo heap like Krakow can be getting poo poo done early on, although that's an extreme display of abuse.

edit: oh you're playing v1. nvm then

That's not a bad piece of advice for V1, actually. If a country has negative prestige, you don't get a prestige penalty for declaring war and your (invisible) badboy limit takes a smaller hit, so if you're a secondary power/mid-range civilized nation, you can usually pick off a couple of Asian/African nations on the cheap as they go bankrupt.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Northern Idaho joining the CSA is kind of prophetic, I have to say.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

"HEED! HEED! A storm is coming!"

If this is a Bronzestabbed reference then hats-the-gently caress-off to you, sir.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Fintilgin posted:

EUIII with the random map generator.

Open question to anyone: would I be able to get these maps to play nicely with other mods, say... EU3+? Or is it just a vanilla thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Bloodly posted:

...Is it odd that I'm amused they're doing something that was in SimCity 2000? Like, it's taken so long to do this again?

It's awesome! I've had the same idea for a pet project, but it is hard to come up with all that prose and stuff. I bet the newspapers will be really useful and immersive after the modders get to them.

Of course, it might be even cooler if you could browse other papers from around the world...

• Locked thread