Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
I'm really curious about the video capabilities of the D7100. Specifically if it will be able to change aperture setting in live view mode. I'm guessing we won't know the answer until they are released but if someone comes across a site that talks in detail about shooting video on the D7100 I'd be interested to see the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Legdiian posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's 1.3x on top of the standard 1.5 crop.

This is correct. The D7100 crops the DX-sensor so that instead of 24,1 mpx you get 15 mpx. One neat effect is that suddenly all of the 51 AF-points fills the whole image.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Legdiian posted:

I'm really curious about the video capabilities of the D7100. Specifically if it will be able to change aperture setting in live view mode. I'm guessing we won't know the answer until they are released but if someone comes across a site that talks in detail about shooting video on the D7100 I'd be interested to see the link.

The pre-production model that I tried today couldn't change while filming (if that was what you asked).

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

azathosk posted:

The pre-production model that I tried today couldn't change while filming (if that was what you asked).

Rats. I'm guessing if you couldn't change it while recording, it wouldn't matter if you were just idle in live view mode. I'm sure there is some technical explanation as to why it's so difficult to do that because it's a pretty common gripe with dslr video shooters.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

D800 does it just fine though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
D600 has the same limitation. Fortunately I only use my manual focus/aperture glass when shooting video, but yeah it's pretty annoying.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

krooj posted:

Cool - so street pricing ought to be around $1000 ~ $1100 for the body. This has to put even more pressure on Canon to get the 7DmkII out, especially when you consider that Nikon has had them whipped for the past year or so (D800/E, D600, D71k). How are Canon's entry level SLRs compared to Nikon's?

I still want Nikon to get serious about MILCs, but maybe they're convinced it will gently caress their DSLRs?

If it's anything like the D7000 launch there will be no such thing as "street pricing" :v: I had to drive 2 hours to pick mine up.

1st AD posted:

D600 has the same limitation. Fortunately I only use my manual focus/aperture glass when shooting video, but yeah it's pretty annoying.

What annoys me about it is that you can't even change it when you're not recording -- you have to turn LV off to change it, even in M.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Kazy posted:

Nikon D7100 this March, $1200, no AA filter, 24MP, stereo mic.

I want one :allears:
Bah, happy with my D7000, especially as the D7100 will be roughly twice the price of what I paid for the D7000.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
This is how the viewfinder looks when D7100 have the 1.3x crop-mode enabled. 51 focus points all through the image frame. I love it.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Man, this 1.3x crop mode sounds super cool. 16MP is still more than enough, and the extra 'length' would be cool for shooting telephotos at events, while not blasting through your raw buffer and card space.

1.95x crop :3:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Miko posted:

51point AF with 15 crosstypes. Wowzers, and I thought my D7000 was good.

I like where Nikon is going with this. Canon should have something up their sleeve for a 7D update, it came out before the D7000, and is getting kind of long in the tooth.
The main thing that strike me, as a wildlife shooting Canon user, is the 6fps and an 8 RAw buffer isn't exactly pushing boundaries for top-level APS-C. By comparison the 7D does 8fps and 25 RAW, and the latest rumours are that the 7D2 will manage 10fps. That and skimping on the buttons for back-button focusing.

Legitimate Pape
Sep 6, 2012

by T. Finninho
Should we be expecting a D400, or is this really going to be the top of the line DX model for Nikon? As a D7000 owner I just can't get very excited about the D7100. Nikon Rumors thinks the D300s and D7000 have been merged to make this, but I feel like Nikon would still benefit from having heavy duty DX camera like the D200-D300.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

The main thing that strike me, as a wildlife shooting Canon user, is the 6fps and an 8 RAw buffer isn't exactly pushing boundaries for top-level APS-C. By comparison the 7D does 8fps and 25 RAW, and the latest rumours are that the 7D2 will manage 10fps. That and skimping on the buttons for back-button focusing.
Yeah the 7k already had a pretty weak buffer. It's a shame they're trying to differenciate models that way. Memory's cheap, and the next step up for action is either a D4 or a 7D(2?). Also no 100% VF on a 1200 euros camera is pure trolling.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 22, 2013

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

where did you find this buffer number? I don't see it on the Nikon spec list.

Why would the 7100 have a smaller buffer than the 7000? I'm 99% sure my 7000 does 10 shots in buffer, though I don't have it in front of me.

Edit: Yep, D7000 does (minimum) 10. http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7000/features03.htm
Edit2: and yep, D7100 bottoms out at 6. What the gently caress: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/spec.htm

On the upside, I don't see a good reason to upgrade now, so yay money.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 22, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Also no 100% VF on a 1200 euros camera is pure trolling.
Checked the Nikon site and it is 100% coverage, someone must have confused the magnification (0.94) with coverage. I still can't believe the buffer is 6/7 RAW frames. That's just about a second of shooting.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

This may be a dumb question but how does the buffer work? Does it fill the buffer and then try and write them to the SD card or is it trying to write to the SD card the whole time and just using the buffer when the SD card can't keep up? I assume using a faster SD card would help a little? In real world usage if the say the camera has an "8 RAW" buffer, how many pictures could you get before the buffer is full? This is assuming that it writing to both the buffer and SD card at the same time, if it doesn't do that I would guess the answer is 8.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

azathosk posted:

This is how the viewfinder looks when D7100 have the 1.3x crop-mode enabled. 51 focus points all through the image frame. I love it.

What's the difference between this 1.3x crop-mode and just cropping in post?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

echobucket posted:

What's the difference between this 1.3x crop-mode and just cropping in post?

Smaller file size and you can shoot at 7fps instead of 6fps.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Legdiian posted:

This may be a dumb question but how does the buffer work? Does it fill the buffer and then try and write them to the SD card or is it trying to write to the SD card the whole time and just using the buffer when the SD card can't keep up? I assume using a faster SD card would help a little? In real world usage if the say the camera has an "8 RAW" buffer, how many pictures could you get before the buffer is full? This is assuming that it writing to both the buffer and SD card at the same time, if it doesn't do that I would guess the answer is 8.

The latter, the buffer is where the pictures end up straight after being read off the sensor. The camera begins processing the buffered images immediately to produce a raw/jpeg file and write it to the memory card. When one picture in the buffer is processed it's cleared off, and the camera then starts on the next, all the while you can keep shooting.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Legdiian posted:

Yeah, and I can imagine it helping you compose. Does it black out the border or just draw a line on the viewfinder?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Legdiian posted:

It should also fit more pictures in the buffer then! Since it actually reads less data off the sensor.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

nielsm posted:

It should also fit more pictures in the buffer then! Since it actually reads less data off the sensor.
It does ... one more.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Eh, I don't think you can read part of a CMOS line. You can discard the date before processing though.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

echobucket posted:

Yeah, and I can imagine it helping you compose. Does it black out the border or just draw a line on the viewfinder?
That's negative side: It doesn't black out the border, but just draws a red line in the viewfinder.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

azathosk posted:

That's negative side: It doesn't black out the border, but just draws a red line in the viewfinder.

Actually, that's not really a downside. Being able to see what's about to enter the frame can be very valuable, especially for moving wildlife/sports, where the 1.3x crop is most likely to be used.

If Canon really is bringing out a 7D2, I'll bet Nikon is making a D400. Those two companies pretty much move in lockstep nowadays, when it comes to camera bodies.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
Shooting in compressed 12bit raw gives you a 14 file buffer which isn't too bad. If you really need a huge buffer just shoot jpgs?

That being said I do expect Nikon to come out with a D400, as there is still a sizable gap between D7100 pricing and D600 pricing.

Also interesting is the fact that Nikon first launched the D7000 with 16mp, and then later on an FX cam with the same pixel density (D800 with 36mp)

If they do the same with the D7100 we will be looking at a 54mp FX camera somewhere down the line (D4x anyone?)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

D4x would probably just use the d800e assembly.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
^^ Yup. Updated D3x

Remo posted:

Shooting in compressed 12bit raw gives you a 14 file buffer which isn't too bad. If you really need a huge buffer just shoot jpgs?

That being said I do expect Nikon to come out with a D400, as there is still a sizable gap between D7100 pricing and D600 pricing.

Also interesting is the fact that Nikon first launched the D7000 with 16mp, and then later on an FX cam with the same pixel density (D800 with 36mp)

If they do the same with the D7100 we will be looking at a 54mp FX camera somewhere down the line (D4x anyone?)

I don't know if it will be an explicit product created by Nikon so much as a drop in the price of the D600 over time. I get the feeling that if Nikon could get MSRP at $1500 or so, it would be a small enough gap for people that were previously on the fence between APS-C and 35mm. AFAIK, the D4 is a totally different beast which is intended for speed, not necessarily raw resolution, and I think this is the reason Nikon keeps the D3x around: people that want a high(er) resolution sensor in a full size body. Maybe the D3x becomes the D4x with a D800/e sensor inside?

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I feel that the design philosophy of the D4 is not just speed, it is also more consistent performance throughout the entire ISO range, as opposed to the other current gen Nikon cameras.

Surely there is a place in the DX line for such a camera as well?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The difference isn't very pronounced if we're just going off that chart. There's still a 1 stop drop in DR with every 1 stop increase in ISO past 1250. And depending on the application, I'd take the higher MP count of the D800 over the slight improvements of DR for the D4.

It's not like the Canon C-series video cameras where the DR remains at 12 stops throughout the entire ISO range.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

You are right that it is not a very big difference and for most people I'd imagine that the D800's specs will be more suitable. It is only for the small subset of people who shoots a large volume of pictures at high isos (events? weddings? sports?) that will prefer something like a D4.

Perhaps Nikon may decide that the market for these is just too small for them to bother with a dx D4.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I love my D600, but the moire is unbelievable. We were shooting some music video footage downtown the other day and any stuff I got that had an office window with blinds or any sort of power line in it is absolutely unusable.

Considering selling it and getting a 5D Mark III or BMCC.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

tbqh if I didn't need a FF stills camera I'd ditch the D600 immediately, but it really loving excels in that function and I can deal with the other issues.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
Been using a D800 for sports and between that and a D4 the compromise comes really on the fps, the D800 is slow, even with the grip in raw. I find anything up to ISO 6400 completely usable even for print.

Compared to the D300s at the same ISO the D800 is way way ahead, but the D300s with the grip does all the fps I need. You just got to take that compromise.

I was at a camera club meeting a couple of days ago and the royal navy was in showing off there D800e and D4 modded up with a 400mm f/2.8, they use them for covert operations, helicopter to ground shots, desert ops etc.

They could have anything and they chose Nikon over Canon due to the low light, high ISO, and the VR performance, vibration in the helicopters is madness and it copes with it well.

So the answer is you need both if you really need that fps for what ever purpose requires it (night surveillance in a helicopter)

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

doodle_duck_dandy posted:

Been using a D800 for sports and between that and a D4 the compromise comes really on the fps, the D800 is slow, even with the grip in raw. I find anything up to ISO 6400 completely usable even for print.

Compared to the D300s at the same ISO the D800 is way way ahead, but the D300s with the grip does all the fps I need. You just got to take that compromise.

I was at a camera club meeting a couple of days ago and the royal navy was in showing off there D800e and D4 modded up with a 400mm f/2.8, they use them for covert operations, helicopter to ground shots, desert ops etc.

They could have anything and they chose Nikon over Canon due to the low light, high ISO, and the VR performance, vibration in the helicopters is madness and it copes with it well.

So the answer is you need both if you really need that fps for what ever purpose requires it (night surveillance in a helicopter)

It's mind-boggling that they use stock equipment like that. I'd always guessed that anything used for reconnaissance would be totally custom. I mean, there are companies that are wholly dedicated to stuff like that, such as ELCAN - formerly Leica Canada - and Teledyne Dalsa.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nikon: for when FLIR isn't enough.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Nikon: for when FLIR isn't enough.

There's a new thread title somewhere in there.

So apparently wikipedia says Nikon's parent company is Mitsubishi.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

krooj posted:

There's a new thread title somewhere in there.

So apparently wikipedia says Nikon's parent company is Mitsubishi.

Its true. If you paint racing stripes on your camera you can push the iso higher. :snoop:

http://reviews.photographyreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/pimp-cam-D4.jpg Can shoot a million ISO.

Musket fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 27, 2013

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

krooj posted:

It's mind-boggling that they use stock equipment like that. I'd always guessed that anything used for reconnaissance would be totally custom. I mean, there are companies that are wholly dedicated to stuff like that, such as ELCAN - formerly Leica Canada - and Teledyne Dalsa.

Main complaint was that the tripod screw mount in the bottom is not strong enough, when they were lanyard mounted to the helicopters, sometimes heaving G manoeuvres, with all that mass unsupported (free swinging) could rip the thread out. Clearly not designed for that. They had lost 4 units complete with 400m lens already that way.

On the ground desert Ops the lens and cameras were bomb proof to the dust storms and sand apart from the main lens glass which is protected with filters but they only last 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
So I have a D3200. It's great, I love it so far.

I want to start experimenting with fill and off-camera flash. I also think I'm going to upgrade to a D7100 within the year.

To confirm my understanding:

I was thinking about getting the SB-700 now. I can use it in off-camera mode if I use the built-in flash as the "master" and set the SB-700 to the "slave," correct? I would then have to set the on-camera flash to it's lowest setting because it has to fire to get the "slave" to fire. I can avoid having to use the built-in flash by purchasing a cheap radio unit that attaches to the hot shoe and to the SB-700 (with some sort of adapter).

In any case, will I be able to use TTL mode with the SB-700 serving as the off-camera flash? It is my understanding that if I set it to "slave" (i.e., I don't purchase the radio transmitter), I can only use it in manual mode. If I do purchase the transmitter, can I use the SB-700 in TLL mode? Or is my understanding about flashes and TTL sort of confused as a general matter?

When I upgrade I can then use the D7100 and the SB-700 in "Commander" mode (i.e., I won't need to use the on-board flash or wireless transmitter at all). So this strikes me as a decent upgrade-proof option as opposed to purchasing a, say, cheaper off-camera flash and then not having it be compatible with the "Commander" mode.

Any clarification is appreciated.