Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Nixatron posted:

I just started taking a Introduction to Photography class at my local Community College. I just made the rookie mistake of not pressing the quick release button on my camera, so I got little bunches of film on my floor. I hope that doesn't affect my grade.

What film? I've never heard of film stronger than the locked spool. Shredded sprocket holes will make it very difficult to load onto the reel for the developing tank, but maybe you could develop it in a tray?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nixatron
Feb 3, 2012

ExecuDork posted:

What film? I've never heard of film stronger than the locked spool. Shredded sprocket holes will make it very difficult to load onto the reel for the developing tank, but maybe you could develop it in a tray?

I"m using tri-x 400tx black and white film, and a old pentax k1000 camera. its what the school had to rent and the film that"s available at the school.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Messing with kodachrome (that's been developed b/w) curves is weiiiiiiird.

kodachrome030.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Nixatron posted:

Yup, that's what happened. At first I didn't know if that was just how it was suppose to sound so I just kinda kept on going for a little, but eventually I looked it up and realized that I might have ruined everything.

This is pretty much how losing my virginity went.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So last night I decided to just dive head-first into film and ordered a Pentax ME Super w/ a 50mm f/2 lens. What are some good rolls/brands to shoot with for a newbie?

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Run a roll of cheap drug store film through it first in case you mess up the operation somehow. ;)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Portra 400 owns owns owns.

Kodachrome is weird weird weird.

kodachrome038.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Also remjet is really hard to clean off of reels. :smith:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Oh god now I want to shoot up the rest of the Kodachrome in my freezer and colorize it. See what you started, you monster.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Good Morning by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

portra 400 is nice for landscapes once you go bigger than 645

The Boat Shack by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

4683 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

and Acros is, as always, fantastic

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Ewww, I heard that BW processing kodachrome was pretty messy, the advice was to rinse the loving poo poo out of it. (Which I guess you tried to do).

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
Can I play with the old rangefinder crowd?

_MG_5944.jpg by Flying Ferris, on Flickr

Now I just need some C41 chems for the first roll.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

So, I shot my first sheets of Provia 100F. Unfortunately didn't do my research and I didn't use any filters with fluorescent lights. Anybody got tips on saving the colours here? I got a mixed situation, daylight coming on from the windows (ie the blue parts) and fluorescent lights lighting the rest.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
In mixed lighting you either have to pick one thing to color correct for or do some fanc y masking on curves layers. I think it looks alright as is. You could try dialing in a little magenta to offset the green of the FL and and a tiny bit of yellow to warm up the window light, if it really bothers you.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I think those colours are hip and happening. They don't need fixing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah looks fine to me.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Spedman posted:

Ewww, I heard that BW processing kodachrome was pretty messy, the advice was to rinse the loving poo poo out of it. (Which I guess you tried to do).

Yeah, that was after about 5 minutes of nonstop rinsing, and another 10 minutes after that still didn't get it all off. Might just need to let it soak in detergent or something at this point.

8th-samurai posted:

Oh god now I want to shoot up the rest of the Kodachrome in my freezer and colorize it. See what you started, you monster.

I don't recommend it. If you do do it make sure you shoot stuff with really contrasting colors to help out (none of this was really "colorized", this was just inverting and messing with the curves like you normally wood when scanning film, and horrible horrible things coming out as a result).

If you have more than one roll I'd use one a test roll too, take a bunch of shots in varied situations with notes on each, and then develop (I did mine for 10 minutes with hc110 diluted to B), and see what works and what doesn't (I have a few shots where there's just flat out no shadow detail, for example)

kodachrome024.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

kodachrome011.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I think I'm all in on black and white when I use film, developing it is pretty drat simple too, I don't even know why I thought it was hard in the first place. Here's some from my 2nd roll:

Bride by jemuelb, on Flickr

Edge of Development by jemuelb, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What film is that?

mes
Apr 28, 2006

QPZIL posted:

What film is that?

Tri-X 400 in Rodinal 1+50, a bit grainy in higher magnifications but I don't dislike it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

If you have more than one roll I'd use one a test roll too, take a bunch of shots in varied situations with notes on each, and then develop (I did mine for 10 minutes with hc110 diluted to B), and see what works and what doesn't (I have a few shots where there's just flat out no shadow detail, for example)

I have 3 more rolls of K64 and a roll of K25 :negative: (I would probably just dev them in Diafine if I end up doing anything)

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Despair posted:

That immediately reminded me of this album art:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I just bought an EOS-3 to get back into film. It's been 10+ years since I've shot film and will be the first time I hope to shoot anything other than B&W. I picked up a roll of Velvia 100, Portra 160 and Iford 100, 400 and 3200 to get started. As much as I would like to develop the B&W myself, right now I can't. Assuming there isn't a lab locally where can I send my film.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

geeves posted:

I just bought an EOS-3 to get back into film. It's been 10+ years since I've shot film and will be the first time I hope to shoot anything other than B&W. I picked up a roll of Velvia 100, Portra 160 and Iford 100, 400 and 3200 to get started. As much as I would like to develop the B&W myself, right now I can't. Assuming there isn't a lab locally where can I send my film.

:hfive:

Hope you have fun!

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
How does velvia 100 compare to velvia 50?

I just ordered a box of 4x5 velvia 50. I cannot wait to shoot some of that this summer.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Demon_Corsair posted:

I just ordered a box of 4x5 velvia 50. I cannot wait to shoot some of that this summer.

Velvia 50 is really warm in a way that's really nice for landscapes. 100 is cooler and I tend to prefer it.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Mr. Despair posted:

I like this very much! Great mood!

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Demon_Corsair posted:

Velvia 100 is discontinued, so if you're going to try it, try it soon.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

aliencowboy posted:

Velvia 100 is discontinued, so if you're going to try it, try it soon.

I think that's only Velvia 100F, which is slightly less saturated than 100. That's not saying a whole lot, since 100 can wind up like having molten candy colors poured directly into your retinas, but there you go.

Nixatron
Feb 3, 2012
I just got my first two photos printed! Something weird happened to my paper though, because the edges are just black, they almost look like I took a lighter to them. I believe they might have been exposed to light prematurely but I'm not sure. When I go back to school tomorrow and get a hold of a scanner I'll upload them.

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!
a

Ramms+ein fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 20, 2013

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Cheap Kodak Gold, cheap Craigslist Petri 7 rangefinder, lovely Rite-Aid developing.

:rolleyes: by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

24 by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Not sure if it's the film or the developing that's so heavy on the magenta. I'm probably going to switch back to drugstore Fuji Superia for my cheapo film of choice. There's some other weirdness on the roll that makes me wonder if the shutter is working correctly... at least I'm only out $15 for the camera.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

voodoorootbeer posted:

Not sure if it's the film or the developing that's so heavy on the magenta.
More likely the scanning.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just shot my 2nd roll of Ektachrome Panther 35mm, with much better results. This film rocks.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
Hey guys, anyone have any experience in cleaning a focusing screen? Especially one that can't be easily removed, like the AE-1 and A-1? How'd you do it?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
If anyone is interested in shooting some real Aerochrome, see below:

quote:

Hello Everyone!

You're getting this mail, because of our previous contact regarding Aerochrome Color Infrared Film availability.
Thanks to all who supported this project. Please note my new email address is: aerochrome@live.de

I’m starting my last batch very soon. I will have 120 format only and expect about 700 rolls.
Sorry, there will be no 35mm. If you are interested in 4x5 or 8x10 sheet film, please contact me.
If I get enough requests, I'll cut some. :-)

The 120 rolls are USD $33 each. If you're interested in 10 or more, I can discount to $30 each.
I can ship up to 12 rolls for USD $8.

This was some of the last Aerochrome that Kodak produced with an expiration date of 2011.
If kept frozen, the film will last a few years.
It may take a while before you receive your film. I'll process the sales in the order that they're received.

If you have any questions at all about the film, etc., just let me know. I will offer support in any way I can.
I want you to have success with the film.

Regards and have a photographic day!

Dean Bennici
https://www.bennici.net

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

JSW2 posted:

Hey guys, anyone have any experience in cleaning a focusing screen? Especially one that can't be easily removed, like the AE-1 and A-1? How'd you do it?

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that you're bound to gently caress things up worse if you try to clean a focusing screen with anything more than a rocket blower.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

HPL posted:

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that you're bound to gently caress things up worse if you try to clean a focusing screen with anything more than a rocket blower.

THIS.

I have cleaned one as a last resort with some 90% isopropyl alcohol and some pec-pads because I'm loving retarded and I accidentally touched the matte region. It came out OK, but I had to try several times before the alcohol didn't dry and leave some awful looking pattern in the matte. I'm convinced I just got lucky in eventually getting a passable result. I don't recommend trying this unless it's a last resort. I was basically in "gently caress it, I would have to replace it otherwise" territory.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ
Feeling pretty drat good right now. My first home-developed roll of B&W film is hanging up to dry at the moment. I was so stoked when I saw those images as I pulled it off the reel. Just posting this photo so maybe some of you can remember that feeling from your first times too. It's pretty awesome.

This is also my first roll through the Konica II rangefinder my dad gave me recently. It'd belonged to his dad and my dad used it when he traveled the world before settling in the US. It has a lot of family history, so I'm elated that the kinda sluggish/iffy mechanical-only shutter still managed to produce some apparently well-exposed images. Totally different shooting experience from my EOS 3 and EOS RT. Really digging it.

I cannot wait to run this thing through my film scanner!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sleeping by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Bay Morning by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

The Ocean by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

More expired 35mm Ektachrome Elite 100. I wish I had taken my P67 up in the hills that morning :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
:gizz: