Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I'm 99% sure that I have to re-enter my credit card info each time I order from Knit Picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
My card has expired since I last ordered anything from them. I can't remember if I had them save the card number or not, though. I guess it doesn't matter...?

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

They apparently closed the breach on January 25th (more than a month after it happened), so if you've only ever ordered after then you might be all right. Not that I really trust them at this point.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Well, that might explain what happened to my account earlier this week... thankfully I caught it but I still had someone else using that card. :mad:

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.
I just pretended to check out so I could see if my information was saved in their system and it isn't--I believe that I used Paypal last time I bought something, probably because I was too lazy to get up and find my card.

As annoyed as I am that they didn't inform anyone, I can't see myself boycotting them. I'm not willing to put my money where my mouth is when I am happy with quality for the price.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Hmm. I just went to the site to see if my info is saved and it says 'we do not save credit card information'. Which means NOW they don't, of course. I can't remember if I have saved it with them before or not. Bah.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I spent some time on Ravelry, where this poo poo really blew up. It turns out Knitpicks promised right on the checkout page never to save your credit card info; you had to retype it every time. So of course, despite that, they were saving it, and saving it online, and saving it online insecurely.

Knitpicks has always been a pain in the rear end for me. The yarn is okay, the customer service people are nice . . . but I have to talk to them every time I order because they've never gotten a single one of my orders right. They omit things or send the wrong things or I get someone else's box completely. Or I start knitting and run into five knots in a row. You can call and complain and they're happy to resend it, but I just want them to get it right in the first place.

This is really the last straw. I can't believe they stored credit card info while promising they didn't, and I can't believe that when they found the breach, they didn't tell customers. Compared to the way every other company handles leaks, that's just loving unreal.

I'm pretty pissed at spending hours on the phone today, paying for a new card to be sent, and not having access to any of my money until ~Thursday. That part's not Knitpicks' fault, but breaking their card policy, finding the breach, and not telling customers is insane.

OxnardMontalvo
Oct 6, 2005

Poor devils.
Wow, I just put an extra alert on suspicious activity for my bank account. Not only does Knitpicks take way too long to process and ship an order to me, they pull this. Bah. I just wish there was another site with the same range of colors and reasonable prices. Thank you for posting about this calamity!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

FelicityGS posted:

Toy mats. You can buy toy mats for kids for cheaper that fit together like the knitpicks one do. Or garage mats. It's the same foam thing, the colours are just different.

Also check for the same thing marketed for home gyms - you tend to get more square footage for the same amount of money as the children's playmats. I got a set that's 24sq. feet for $20, all the playmats I could find were 16sq. feet for that amount of money. Added bonus for me was that the exercise mats were all charcoal grey, so things photograph fairly well during the blocking stage.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I have some yarn that purports to be worsted, but knits up more like sport - I got 24 stitches over 4 inches with size 4 needles. Can I just use any pattern that has a gauge of 6st/in and get good results, even if it calls for a different weight of yarn and size of needle? That's why they tell you to check your gauge, right?

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
I finished my cowl last night. Easily the fastest thing I have ever knitted!

One problem - it's a moebius strip. I don't know how I did it. This isn't even the first time it's happened to me. It's like I'm incapable of knitting in the round.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
It probably got twisted when you finished casting on and started knitting in the round. It's a legit method to make a twisted cowl, so you can tell people you did it on purpose.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Charmmi posted:

It probably got twisted when you finished casting on and started knitting in the round. It's a legit method to make a twisted cowl, so you can tell people you did it on purpose.

Good call!

Here's the thing itself.

I forgot, I somehow managed to get one of the yo/k2tog panels backwards. I have no idea. Does anyone know how that could happen? It was the first panel I knit, and instead of getting a right-slanted line of knit stitches, I got a weird looking lattice with no obvious knit or purl character. I like the way it looks, otherwise I would've ripped it, but I have no clue as to how it happened.

:sigh: This is the most mistake-filled thing that I'll ever love. It helps that it's silk-merino blend. It's so soft!!!

Here's a picture of it in action - I'm still not sure how to wear a cowl...

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 19, 2013

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

dopaMEAN posted:

Good call!

Here's the thing itself. The color looks weird out of context, but it's actually really pretty on me.

I forgot, I somehow managed to get one of the yo/k2tog panels backwards. I have no idea. Does anyone know how that could happen? It was the first panel I knit, and instead of getting a right-slanted line of knit stitches, I got a weird looking lattice with no obvious knit or purl character. I like the way it looks, otherwise I would've ripped it, but I have no clue as to how it happened.

:sigh: This is the most mistake-filled thing that I'll ever love. It helps that it's silk-merino blend. It's so soft!!!

Here's a picture of it in action - I'm still not sure how to wear a cowl...

For a mistake filled thing, it looks absolutely gorgeous!

Could you have had an even number of stitches instead of odd or vice versa?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I made a shopping bag that was all YO, K2TOG and there's a section where the slant goes the other way for a couple of inches then corrects itself. I'm not entirely sure how it happens but I think maybe I accidentally started doing rows "K2Tog, YO, K2Tog, YO" instead of starting on a YO stitch first.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

For a mistake filled thing, it looks absolutely gorgeous!

Could you have had an even number of stitches instead of odd or vice versa?

It's entirely possible. I was thinking that I might have messed up the pattern at the beginning and done k2tog/yo instead of yo/k2tog. I'm not sure if that would have that kind of result. Otherwise I'm not sure how I would've fixed my stitch count for the other two panels.

Anyone have any advice for blocking a mobius strip? Last night I laid it out in an oval and blocked the long sides with bamboo skewers and cans of coke (to hold tension on the skewers). I was planning on rotating it tonight for the other sides.

Edit:

Charmmi posted:

I made a shopping bag that was all YO, K2TOG and there's a section where the slant goes the other way for a couple of inches then corrects itself. I'm not entirely sure how it happens but I think maybe I accidentally started doing rows "K2Tog, YO, K2Tog, YO" instead of starting on a YO stitch first.

Ok, so it sounds like that's what I did!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Yeah, when I made a mobius scarf my blocking idea was just "don't bother". But yeah, you pretty much have it right - you literally cannot lay a mobius strip completely flat, so the best you can do is lay part of it flat, block that bit, then move it around so you can block the rest of it flat. Steam blocking might be a good choice in that situation.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Yeah, when I made a mobius scarf my blocking idea was just "don't bother". But yeah, you pretty much have it right - you literally cannot lay a mobius strip completely flat, so the best you can do is lay part of it flat, block that bit, then move it around so you can block the rest of it flat. Steam blocking might be a good choice in that situation.

Yeah I'd just iron the poo poo out of it if I were you. I got a lot of compliments on my rainbow cowl at Mt. Baker last weekend, and that totally made up for falling over about a billion times while learning to snowboard. Yay!

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

Fionnoula posted:

Also check for the same thing marketed for home gyms - you tend to get more square footage for the same amount of money as the children's playmats. I got a set that's 24sq. feet for $20, all the playmats I could find were 16sq. feet for that amount of money. Added bonus for me was that the exercise mats were all charcoal grey, so things photograph fairly well during the blocking stage.

Even though these ones have grooves, they would probably work well, right?

Come to think of it, I need a yarn scale too...

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

They should be fine, grooves or no. The knitpick one's have a 'weave' pattern on them.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

ackapoo posted:

Even though these ones have grooves, they would probably work well, right?

Come to think of it, I need a yarn scale too...

That's pretty much what I have, but mine are 24"x24". It's more like a raised diamond plate texture than grooves. I just put them upside down when I block so I'm always working on the flat side although I don't think the diamond plate texture would affect anything. I'd look for a set that has a larger square footage though - you're only getting 12sq. feet there. I have something like this: http://www.amazon.com/CAP-Barbell-Puzzle-Mat-piece/dp/B0041FQZMW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361430873&sr=8-2&keywords=gym+mat I think mine is probably a different brand, I bought it in a brick&mortar shop for a bit less money (but it was a couple of years ago and the prices seem to have edged up a bit). It gives you double the square footage for less than twice the money. Plus, you'll have fewer joins and the joins are always the weak spot. If you can get something blocked on 1 square of it, you can just lean it up against a wall and ignore it, but if you have two squares, that doesn't work as well and you end up having to give up floor or table space while your piece dries. For bonus fun, any small children around can use the edge pieces as swords! My son loves it when I block :)

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I feel like I should know the answer to this but I'm coming up blank, so hopefully you guys can offer some feedback.

I'm making the Honeybee Cardigan with some beautiful hand-dyed yarn my aunt gifted me. I have two big skeins of it and can't get more, so I have to make sure I use it wisely. Basically what I want to know is: about where would the halfway point for yardage lie in the sweater? Because of the construction (bottom up to the yoke, knit the sleeves bottom up, join at the yoke), I can't just knit to whatever length I want and be sure I have enough to do the yoke. I'm nearing the desired length for the body but I'd like to err of the side of longer because I've made a few sweaters that have been a skosh shorter than I want. Same issue for the sleeves. So for people who have made more sweaters (or just pay more attention), do you find that the body of the garment comprises of more, less, or equal to half the total yardage? If I can comfortably use one entire skein for the body up to the yoke, I should get the length I want, which is to the hips.

Also: anyone going to Stitches West this weekend? I'm really excited because I actually have a budget for more than just one skein this year - plus my boss at my LYS wants me to scout potential suppliers for our store, which is always fun.

VV It's a bottom up seamless pattern though - the front and back are knit as one piece to the armpits, and then the yoke joins the body to the sleeves once those are knit up. But if it's comparable to yardage uses for a classic seamed pattern the body minus the yoke would be less than 70% for sure. :/

Drei fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 21, 2013

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I think the two sleeves equal 1/3 the total. The front and back together are then 70% (minus what you use for button bands or collars, if you're using those).

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Sadly my camera is dead, but I just finished my Mom's Christmas/Birthday shawl. It's this huge monster that's almost blanket sized since she gets cold really easily. I started working on it during hurricane Sandy and I just finished yesterday.

Now I want to knit something for myself but I have no idea what.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Just as I finished this I got another 'having a baby' call. Knit baby blankets everyday.

So every time I make this sort of blanket I have the same problem with my borders being wavy. Is this just a design flaw or is there anything I can do to minimize it? Is there a good castoff match to long tail cast-on? If it were wool I'd just block it.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Acrylic items benefit from blocking too, it will at least even out the stitches.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

It's actually cotton/acrylic (75/25), and that picture is after washing and drying, I was hoping my uneven stitches wouldn't be quite so noticeable :( Looking at other Ravelry projects I feel better though. I can never get the hand of tensioning my increases and decreases to blend. I should have gone down a needle size too.

I was hoping there was a way to mitigate the shape in the knitting itself (for the future). I hate blocking machine wash/dry pieces to give away, only for the person to think they did something wrong when it comes out of the dryer a bit wonky.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I meant that blocking to even stitches thing as a general statement. Please don't think I meant it as a criticism of your work.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Drei posted:

I'm making the Honeybee Cardigan with some beautiful hand-dyed yarn my aunt gifted me.

The cropped version of that cardigan is exactly what I'm looking for. I need a shrug/bolero with longer sleeves to cover my flabby arms, but couldn't find much that I really liked. Of course, my newest problem is that I have ~1300 yards of the most gorgeous dark cherry yarn, and I need two more skeins for the project :(. Great. Now I need to find something else to do with this yarn, oh how terrible for me.

ETA: Oh no, it looks like I'll have to request a custom order from my favourite local dyer. drat. What a shame.

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 21, 2013

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

left_unattended posted:

The cropped version of that cardigan is exactly what I'm looking for. I need a shrug/bolero with longer sleeves to cover my flabby arms, but couldn't find much that I really liked. Of course, my newest problem is that I have ~1300 yards of the most gorgeous dark cherry yarn, and I need two more skeins for the project :(. Great. Now I need to find something else to do with this yarn, oh how terrible for me.

The cropped version uses less than 1300 yards up to the 42.5" size. I only have 1336 yards of the yarn I'm using and at the 38" size it's at belt-length and I've used less than half my yarn. Plus the lace is very stretchy and will probably grow a bit with blocking.

OxnardMontalvo
Oct 6, 2005

Poor devils.
I made a rabbit. He's full of mistakes, but that just makes him quaint as hell. Now I just need to make a little vest for him and see if anyone I know wants a little rabbit. I've got too many stuffed animals as it is.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Drei posted:

The cropped version uses less than 1300 yards up to the 42.5" size. I only have 1336 yards of the yarn I'm using and at the 38" size it's at belt-length and I've used less than half my yarn. Plus the lace is very stretchy and will probably grow a bit with blocking.

I'm looking at the 56", and I'd like to block some extra room out of it anyway, so that it's not too fitting. Never mind. (Really I just need to lose some weight :ssh:)

OxnardMontalvo posted:

I made a rabbit. He's full of mistakes, but that just makes him quaint as hell. Now I just need to make a little vest for him and see if anyone I know wants a little rabbit. I've got too many stuffed animals as it is.

I just let out the biggest, loudest, "Awwww!" That is so cute. Especially the picture from behind :3:. He looks like he's about to sneak off on an adventure.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

OxnardMontalvo posted:

Eeee he's so cute. :3: Definitely quaint as hell.

OxnardMontalvo
Oct 6, 2005

Poor devils.
Aww, thanks! I want to make more tiny animals, I've got a giant bag of polyfill to use up.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

HeatherChandler posted:

I can never get the hand of tensioning my increases and decreases to blend. I should have gone down a needle size too.

Many increases look like crap on reverse stockinette, and pulls on other stitches in a noticeable way. Things hand knit in reverse stockinette will never look perfect.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Drei posted:

Also: anyone going to Stitches West this weekend? I'm really excited because I actually have a budget for more than just one skein this year - plus my boss at my LYS wants me to scout potential suppliers for our store, which is always fun.

I'll be there! I don't attend church, but I would never miss Stitches. I'll be wearing a really awesome dress my mother knitted, and an iguana scarf. See here: http://www.morehousefarm.com/KnittingKits/Scarves/Iguana/

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I'd really like to go, if only for the marketplace. If I do go I'll have my husband and baby with me. I look like this

It would be great to meet other people. I have no idea of what I'm going to wear though, so I guess people will just have to try and recognize me. I'll post of the day of if we're going and what I'm wearing

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Whoa, you learned to type really young. Didn't know they made keyboards small enough for babies, though. You should write a thread!

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

OxnardMontalvo posted:

Oh my god he's adorable! How can I learn to make one too? And uh, if you have a local children's hospital, they will often take things like that for kids. And Often as wel for all of you guys, they'll often have approved patterns to knit for the kids. Ours has certain baby hat patterns that they like, or a certain little knit teddy bear they like to give to kids after surgery, that kind of thing. :) The circle I'm in likes to get a big collection together on WWKIP day :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Amykinz posted:

I'd really like to go, if only for the marketplace. If I do go I'll have my husband and baby with me. I look like this

It would be great to meet other people. I have no idea of what I'm going to wear though, so I guess people will just have to try and recognize me. I'll post of the day of if we're going and what I'm wearing

Oh my God, what a cute baby!

I've never been to a knitting convention thing. I wish I could go!

But I am going to see Yarn Harlot next Friday, that should be fun.