Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

http://en.seoi.net/yurai/?n=OUYA
As in rear end/arse

CheckMATE :smugbert:

e:
http://en.seoi.net/yurai/?n=Ouya
:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

Are you going to answer my question, or just be a condescending dick?

Oh you did both.

Thanks.

His point is that phones have a comparable resolution to HDTVs, and tablets may even have a higher resolution. He answered your question.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So is Sony unveiling the PSOUYA today?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

And what of our illustrious leader?

http://en.seoi.net/yurai/?n=CEO%20Uhrman

What... How dare you! Let's try this again...

http://en.seoi.net/yurai/?n=julie%20uhrman

Third time's the charm?

http://en.seoi.net/yurai/?n=Julie%20Uhrman

...I think it knows something we don't.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

And without the word Android:

http://en.seoi.net/yurai/?n=OUYA

edit: aaaaaaa beaten

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

You know that phone resolution is 1280x720 these days and tablet resolution is 1920x1080 or 2560x1600 right?

Actually the most common tablet resolution is 1024x768 at the moment, based on actual tablets in use by consumers, but that's only if you count iOS in the running. Sticking with just Android there is no way you can make your case unless you limit the sample size to a small fraction of total Android tablets even if you just limit it to devices released in the last year. Can't speak much for phones.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

bucketmouse posted:

I cannot believe it's worse than Terraria. Has anyone picked the Dwarf Fortress code apart (assuming it's open source? I have no idea) or is it a language that disassembles cleanly? I like giggling at bad code.

Anyone who doesn't program can ignore this blob of text about Terraria's internal horrors:

So Terraria's items aren't actually loaded from files. The Item class constructor takes a string argument and then has a ~2000 line else-if chain strcmping the string vs every item name in the game and then manually filling the stats out via raw assignment statements. The save/load code works the same way too: Items are saved via their names and the entire gigantic else-if chain from the constructor is copied verbatim into the item loading code. There was some sort of crazy kludge to support that one armor set that got renamed, but I can't remember what it was.

Oh, and every single tile in the entire Terraria map is its own class instance, and the class contains something like 20ish char fields, most of which don't apply to most tile types or are huge wastes of memory. There are separate chars for both lava and water height on each tile (and all three values range from 0-7 - the upper nybble of each byte is never used) as well as the tile's light state and several boolean flags are stored as their own chars.

tl;dr Terraria is a trainwreck internally and it's really, really irritating to write mods for.

e: clarity

The weird thing is that somehow Terraria still made millions of dollars even if it doesn't meet some nerd's Coding Standards.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The weirder thing is that its profitability isn't what people are talking about!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nessin posted:

Actually the most common tablet resolution is 1024x768 at the moment, based on actual tablets in use by consumers, but that's only if you count iOS in the running. Sticking with just Android there is no way you can make your case unless you limit the sample size to a small fraction of total Android tablets even if you just limit it to devices released in the last year. Can't speak much for phones.

I'm talking about what's came out end of last year and coming out this year. EG stuff like the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch which came out in November and is 1920x1200 at 8.9 inches, Nexus 10 which came out also in November at 2560x1600 and 10.1 inches. There were also some tablets from the beginning of the year that were 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 at 10 inches.

And in phones there's plenty of 2012 phones that were 1280x720 or higher, and even a very few at 1920x1080. Even intentionally low cost phones like the Nexus 4 were starting to be 1280x720 minimum.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I wasn't going to post any more of these but this one is pretty worth sharing:
http://en.seoi.net/yurai/?n=Boxer8

Mammal Sauce posted:

The weirder thing is that its profitability isn't what people are talking about!

On that topic, even though the OUYA folks originally said they'd be able to sell the systems at a profit, they're not longer making that claim. I think it was the Ben Kuchera/Julie Uhrman interview, he asked her about it and all she could say was "we're very confident about our business model".

ChocNitty posted:

I'm a bit confused on what games will be available at launch. The wikipedia page says:

"There are currently 481 confirmed Ouya games to come with the Ouya, of which 80 games confirmed by Ouya, or the developer"

Yeah it's pretty much a mess trying to figure that kind of stuff out. That 481 number is taken from a forum thread of every OUYA game (i.e. not just launch), and even then it's a really lovely list of every random dude that says they're going to make a game, and also includes the 166 game jame entries which are definitely not all confirmed for the system.

As far as launch games go, I've been trying to keep track of games that are, like, at least Desura-level of quality. So, not BS like this. In that list there's a little over 20 games.

If you count the launch as June instead of March/April - since that's when people are actually going to be able to buy them - then the number of "launch" games would go up. However, that's dependent on the OUYA doing well enough that developers don't cancel their games in between April and June, so it's impossible to predict how much the number would go up.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

XboxPants posted:

I wasn't going to post any more of these but this one is pretty worth sharing:
http://en.seoi.net/yurai/?n=Boxer8
As is this one: http://en.seoi.net/yurai/?n=XboxPants :smugbert:

Seriously that generator knows stuff we don't....

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

XboxPants posted:

And what of our illustrious leader?

http://en.seoi.net/yurai/?n=CEO%20Uhrman

What... How dare you! Let's try this again...

http://en.seoi.net/yurai/?n=julie%20uhrman

Third time's the charm?

http://en.seoi.net/yurai/?n=Julie%20Uhrman

...I think it knows something we don't.

Excuse me but aren't you guys forgetting that Side View Generator is popular than Origin Generator?

http://en.seoi.net/sokumen/?n=CEO%20Uhrman

:stare:

e: http://en.seoi.net/sokumen/?n=xboxpants

:stare: :stare:

e2: http://en.seoi.net/sokumen/?n=Hitler

What the gently caress... :gonk: :stare: :godwin:

Oh god I can't stop. If this thing gets ported to the OUYA I might consider buying it.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 20, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

This is more like it:
http://en.seoi.net/yurai/?n=The%20OUYA

Mammal Sauce posted:

More money = better than, man.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
Glad you guys trashed the OUYA Controller so much. Sony knows a good idea when they see one. Thanks for believing, Xboxpants.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

ZYNGA STOCK CRASHER posted:

Glad you guys trashed the OUYA Controller so much. Sony knows a good idea when they see one. Thanks for believing, Xboxpants.

I'm not being sarcastic when I say this. Ouya really did think ahead of the curve on this. Or rather Sony decided to rip off the wiiu, the kinect, and the ouya all at once.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

What possible use does that sony controller have for a touchpad right there. I can understand plopping a touchscreen there, that's a great plan for a variety of reasons, but touchpads?

The WiiU screen on controller schema has tons of potential and is already showing off some neat things, but a touchpad on a controller doesn't bring any of the advantages a touchscreen brings.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Liquid Penguins posted:

I'm not being sarcastic when I say this. Ouya really did think ahead of the curve on this. Or rather Sony decided to rip off the wiiu, the kinect, and the ouya all at once.

Chances are pretty good (like, almost certain) that Sony had prototypes with that touchpad before the BABABOUYA was even announced. They might have even stolen the idea from industry rumors.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

http://en.seoi.net/yurai/?n=PS4
Checkmate, corporate bagmuncher!

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
HEY there is this game that is totally like Skyrim on the YOLO

Annel-Ideas posted:

I recently found about a skyrim and Elder scrolls like game for iOS called Ravensword. I have never played skyrim (or other AAA games) since I really dont have a TV console since the Gamecube came out. I moved on to PSP and now my Android tablet. any way..

I saw Ravensword 1 and it was great but Ravensword 2 its super console quality.

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

http://youtu.be/I4Tm9xEoeiM

the game is made out on Unity3D. its just amazing thinking that most OUYA 3D games are made out of Unity3D but still are nice to play and view. I really want this game on the OUYA. I also want other games on it too, but some are basically imposible to get as saying gameloft, glu, EA, Capcom, Konami and other companies that already brought Games to iOS and Android, bring some of their games that can fit a controller to OUYA and let us play. So.. I just keep dreaming. or.. get them working with the GameKeyboard app and maps every god drat game controller and suck my self the in app touch controllers..

any way. here is some Info on the Ravensword 2

Please note I have never actually played Skyrim. And have no way of bringing this game to the YOLO

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Red_Mage posted:

What possible use does that sony controller have for a touchpad right there. I can understand plopping a touchscreen there, that's a great plan for a variety of reasons, but touchpads?

The WiiU screen on controller schema has tons of potential and is already showing off some neat things, but a touchpad on a controller doesn't bring any of the advantages a touchscreen brings.

Who knows what they have in mind. The Vita had all sorts of poo poo like this on it and it completely flopped.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who knows what they have in mind. The Vita had all sorts of poo poo like this on it and it completely flopped.

There's more to the Vita crashing and burning than just gimmicky touchpads.

Vita owner trap sprung :negative:

What's the market for the Ouya anyway? Game console hipsters? Maybe I'm just like too old a fart or something but I can't see having the ability to play Zenonia 4 on a huge tv being super compelling.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

The PS4 has been in development since 2007.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

The PS4 has been in development since 2007.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the touch pad has been too. Remember that Sony hastily added motion controls into the Dual Shock 3 to "compete" with the Wii last minute, which lead to a hilarious E3 conference

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

orphean posted:

What's the market for the Ouya anyway? Game console hipsters? Maybe I'm just like too old a fart or something but I can't see having the ability to play Zenonia 4 on a huge tv being super compelling.
Cheap people who like to talk about how games suck nowadays. (those people are wrong games are actually quite awesome nowadays)

Louisgod posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean that the touch pad has been too. Remember that Sony hastily added motion controls into the Dual Shock 3 to "compete" with the Wii last minute, which lead to a hilarious E3 conference

Sony's hardware plan seems to be "literally steal whatever Nintendo just did to the best of our ability".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Louisgod posted:

Did any game even use that 6 axis stuff?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yes. It usually wasn't super good. Stupid Ratchet and Clank tornado gun.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The first PS3 game I ever played was Army of Two, which my brother and I were trying out on his roommate's console just for the hell of it. On maybe the second or third mission, there's a sequence in which you and your partner are parachuting in a two-person harness, with one player steering the parachute and the other shooting. You're supposed to steer the parachute using the motion controls, but at no point does the game ever tell you this, and since neither of us actually owned a PS3 it never even occurred to us. This led to about 20 minutes of "I HAVE PRESSED EVERY BUTTON ON THIS GODDAMN CONTROLLER WHY ARE WE STILL FLYING INTO THE CLIFFS" before we finally had to just Google it.

This is probably an Army of Two problem more than a gimmicky motion controller problem, but still, gently caress that.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.
I think the sony controll sucks, also. Touchpad and built in share button! Why doesn't the lolo have a built in share button?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Red_Mage posted:

HEY there is this game that is totally like Skyrim on the YOLO

Please note I have never actually played Skyrim. And have no way of bringing this game to the YOLO
The graphics are worse than Gothic, a game that came out a decade ago. OOOHYEAAA.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Louisgod posted:

I've had a PS3 for years and did not know about this. Wow.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Peven Stan posted:

I've had a PS3 for years and did not know about this. Wow.

How could anybody forget?! I believe they shoehorned it into the controller a few weeks before E3 (according to a Team Ninja rep, if I remember correctly), so none of the developers had a chance to really implement and test what they had in place. Thank god they didn't because that conference was amazing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Louisgod posted:

How could anybody forget?! I believe they shoehorned it into the controller a few weeks before E3 (according to a Team Ninja rep, if I remember correctly), so none of the developers had a chance to really implement and test what they had in place. Thank god they didn't because that conference was amazing.

I've always wanted to know what it's like to pilot a fighter jet after a night of heavy drinking.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I know MGS4 used it for peeking out of dumpsters. Infamous 1 for controlling the lightning strike. Uncharted 1 used it for grenades and stupid balancing when on beams maybe.
Uhh.... that's all I remember using sixaxis for.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Don't forget making the Katamari jump in Katamari Forever! (it was completely useless because you could do the same thing by just pressing R2 and L2 at the same time, if I recall correctly)

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Clearly the BOOSHYA is going to revolutionize sixaxis360noscopetouchpadheadshotz though guys, no doubt about it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Neurolimal posted:

Don't forget making the Katamari jump in Katamari Forever! (it was completely useless because you could do the same thing by just pressing R2 and L2 at the same time, if I recall correctly)

Also tilting Sackboys head in Little Big Planet.

Oh yeah, making Roses boobs bounce in MGS4

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

What I really want to know is how much that controller is going to cost when PS3 controllers are already $50-$60 without touchpads and Move wands and whatever else they come up with mashed in.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Croccers posted:

I know MGS4 used it for peeking out of dumpsters. Infamous 1 for controlling the lightning strike. Uncharted 1 used it for grenades and stupid balancing when on beams maybe.
Uhh.... that's all I remember using sixaxis for.

Heavy Rain basically built the game around it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

raditts posted:

What I really want to know is how much that controller is going to cost when PS3 controllers are already $50-$60 without touchpads and Move wands and whatever else they come up with mashed in.

Well at least the move thing is just a multi-color LED light, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

XboxPants posted:

Well at least the move thing is just a multi-color LED light, right?

Indeed. That'll be 39.99 please.

• Locked thread