Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Lasher posted:

Exactly the same thing with Valhalla Rising. I'd probably love the film if I wasn't expecting a hardcore gorefest like all the advertising promised.

Look at that! gently caress yeah! Let me just get all the lads around for a piss up and some violent, testosterone driven anarch... Oh, oh wait...

And it wasn't just the DVD cover, it was the adverts too. Showing pretty much all the fight scenes and not hinting at the hour or so 7 fellas sit off in a boat and talk about god.

I do need to watch it again, mind. As I say I'd probably love it.

I watched Valhalla Rising before I saw Drive, and I was meh on it. Then I saw Drive, and rewatched Valhalla Rising upon finding out they shared the same director, and loving loved the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lasher posted:

Exactly the same thing with Valhalla Rising. I'd probably love the film if I wasn't expecting a hardcore gorefest like all the advertising promised.

Look at that! gently caress yeah! Let me just get all the lads around for a piss up and some violent, testosterone driven anarch... Oh, oh wait...

And it wasn't just the DVD cover, it was the adverts too. Showing pretty much all the fight scenes and not hinting at the hour or so 7 fellas sit off in a boat and talk about god.

I do need to watch it again, mind. As I say I'd probably love it.

I remember someone posted that the UK DVD of Valhalla Rising is 18-cert only because they put violent trailers on there as a bonus feature, and that the film itself is actually a 15-cert film. It might have been in this thread, or the previous incarnation of it.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Mondo tomorrow:

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Oh, that's a Mondo poster? There goes my chance of ever having one I guess. :smith:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

WickedIcon posted:

I watched Valhalla Rising before I saw Drive, and I was meh on it. Then I saw Drive, and rewatched Valhalla Rising upon finding out they shared the same director, and loving loved the latter.

I've been wanting to see Valhalla Rising but keep putting it off. Does it have an '80s faux-retro soundtrack like Bronson and Drive? :downs:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

penismightier posted:

Wow, I've never even heard of this one. That's a beautiful poster.

It's effectively the British Ocean's Eleven, and in fact came out four months before while putting significantly more emphasis on the 'military veterans' aspect of the heist team. Wikipedia doesn't mention Ocean's Eleven being inspired by any previous books (The League is based on a pulp novel of the same name from 1958), so it might just be a case of Armageddon/Deep Impact coincidence.

It also has this great exchange:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOY9fMpfWZ8

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Young Freud posted:

I've been wanting to see Valhalla Rising but keep putting it off. Does it have an '80s faux-retro soundtrack like Bronson and Drive? :downs:

Nope, but the soundtrack is definitely a highlight.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Young Freud posted:

No. Basically, the best way I can describe it is that it's a slow, meditative thriller in the same way that Drive was, but with Vikings being badass instead of Ryan Gosling being sexy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Suzuki Method posted:

Oh, that's a Mondo poster? There goes my chance of ever having one I guess. :smith:

You can try. It doesn't really fall into the same sort of categories that Mondo's standard posters do, so you might have a decent chance of snagging one. Some of the stuff they've released recently that isn't for super-popular cult-classic american made films has stayed up for sale for an hour or more. I'd say at least give it a shot, you'll have a way better chance than if you were trying to get something for an 80's film or Universal Monsters.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You can try. It doesn't really fall into the same sort of categories that Mondo's standard posters do, so you might have a decent chance of snagging one. Some of the stuff they've released recently that isn't for super-popular cult-classic american made films has stayed up for sale for an hour or more. I'd say at least give it a shot, you'll have a way better chance than if you were trying to get something for an 80's film or Universal Monsters.

Huh. Maybe I'll try, then. What time do they change the posters (and in which time zone)?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lance Streetman posted:

Huh. Maybe I'll try, then. What time do they change the posters (and in which time zone)?

The sale-time changes a little every time, but I'd say be on the site at 7:30am, and refresh like mad until the items pop up. Make sure you're actually in the "Store" portion of the site as well. While they do update the front page with the days current sale items, it does lag slightly behind the Store page.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I doubt this personally. Battle Royale may be a super cult flick but those that love it usually love it and that poster is crazy good. Not to say one shouldn't try of course, but I'd assume it'll go fast, just not as fast as say an Indiana Jones or The Thing poster.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The sale-time changes a little every time, but I'd say be on the site at 7:30am, and refresh like mad until the items pop up. Make sure you're actually in the "Store" portion of the site as well. While they do update the front page with the days current sale items, it does lag slightly behind the Store page.

7:30 PST, or 7:30 central?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This one is probably going to sell fast, people go apeshit of Brian Lee O'Malley for making Scott Pilgrim.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I doubt this personally. Battle Royale may be a super cult flick but those that love it usually love it and that poster is crazy good. Not to say one shouldn't try of course, but I'd assume it'll go fast, just not as fast as say an Indiana Jones or The Thing poster.

Exactly my thoughts. Battle Royale is culty but it has a huge cult following. That's like saying a Rocky Horror poster that actually looks good isn't going to sell. And with how cute the poster is, I'd wager someone is going to buy it who doesn't even like Battle Royale.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Given the artist and the subject I would say this will sell out in seconds/minutes.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

WickedIcon posted:

That's interesting, I didn't like Valhalla rising at all when I first watched it, I had to turn it off about halfway through. Since then I've watched the Pusher movies and Drive and loved them, so I'll have to give it another chance.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

The Mutato posted:

That's interesting, I didn't like Valhalla rising at all when I first watched it, I had to turn it off about halfway through. Since then I've watched the Pusher movies and Drive and loved them, so I'll have to give it another chance.

I'd say you have a 50/50. I loved the poo poo out of Drive and Pusher but didn't like Valhalla (and I watched Valhalla for the first time after Drive). So it's not quite the same.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lance Streetman posted:

7:30 PST, or 7:30 central?

Sorry, forgot to mention it. PST.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Huray, I get to watch a website from 2:00am onwards :australia:

Girlfriend loves Battle Royale (so do I) and would be incensed if I didn't at least try.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Sheldrake posted:

... were you in my house?! I have this on my wall, with the matte and everything.

Other cool early 1930's posters:

:nws:

Also, Penismightier is right, Baby Face is awesome. Watch it!

These are incredible. Madame Satan!!

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I also like the one for M, which is clearly an autobiographical look at Fritz Lang's compulsive masturbation habits.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
As far as old-timey sexy movie posters go this is a favorite:

(Pardon the poor image quality.)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maxwell Lord posted:

As far as old-timey sexy movie posters go this is a favorite:

(Pardon the poor image quality.)

Whaddya know, planes had air bags before cars.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Look at this loving train wreck. Look at it!

Where to start? The layout? The tagline? Joe Carnahan's twitter quote? Arrrgh my brain! :negative:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Dillbag posted:

Where to start? The layout? The tagline? Joe Carnahan's twitter quote? Arrrgh my brain! :negative:

Hashtag DADmovie

edit: And having the twitter logo on there twice.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

This site has a great collection of Noir poster scans, thought y'all would appreciate it!
http://www.doctormacro.com/Movie%20Star%20Pages/Film%20Noir%20Posters/Film%20Noir%20Posters.htm

Debunk This! fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 21, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I agree with Joe Carnahan; it does look like poo poo.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Dillbag posted:

He's not a very good smuggler if he's getting into situations where he bleeds a lot.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dillbag posted:

Is this guy a no-name or is he a star somewhere that people should recognize? If he should be recognized then putting him upside down probably wasn't the smartest move.

Pope Mobile posted:

He's not a very good smuggler if he's getting into situations where he bleeds a lot.

Y'know how if you're getting into the drug business your new supplier or contact makes you try some to see if you're legit? Well this guy smuggles gauze.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is that supposed to be his reflection? It feels very much like he's gonna to fall off the bottom of my screen :ohdear:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Maybe it takes place in Australia :haw:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Amazing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

couldcareless posted:

Maybe it takes place in Australia :haw:
That was my first impulse as well. There aren't enough movies about people smuggling spicy foods anyway.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I agree with Joe Carnahan; it does look like poo poo.

When I first saw that I also thought the quote was"...looks like poo poo" and assumed the poster was a parody.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

That film was made with less than 50k raised from Kickstarter. I don't think it's worth tearing apart.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
Teaser posters for the new Tyler Perry film:

Yeesh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Craig Robinson might make me see a Tyler Perry movie in theatres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I just hope that Mario Van Peebles is in Peeples.