Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think SE's just taking their time to make sure they can find the best possible way to ruin Versus for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I think I may be one of the last people who is still looking forward to Versus, doesn't think it is vaporware, and has reasonable hope that it will be enjoyable (or at least that I will personally find it enjoyable). At the same time, I am prepared for the worst and fully understand why others mock it regularly. I just figure that I have very little to lose by remaining somewhat optimistic if I already know that any feelings of disappointment will be short lived.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

I think I may be one of the last people who is still looking forward to Versus, doesn't think it is vaporware, and has reasonable hope that it will be enjoyable (or at least that I will personally find it enjoyable). At the same time, I am prepared for the worst and fully understand why others mock it regularly. I just figure that I have very little to lose by remaining somewhat optimistic if I already know that any feelings of disappointment will be short lived.

Say what you want about Versus 13 but at the moment it is completely vaporware.

As a point: It was announced before the PS3 was available. As a PS3 exclusive. Yesterday they announced the Playstation 4 after what is generally considered an abnormally long development cycle. Even if it is announced and comes out this year? That's loving crazy.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Say what you want about Versus 13 but at the moment it is completely vaporware.

As a point: It was announced before the PS3 was available. As a PS3 exclusive. Yesterday they announced the Playstation 4 after what is generally considered an abnormally long development cycle. Even if it is announced and comes out this year? That's loving crazy.

Yeah..crazy, but that would also eliminate its vaporware status/rumor/whatever. It doesn't matter because I have nothing to lose like I said. Some people(not saying this is you) get up in arms over those who opt to be slightly more optimistic even when acknowledging the probabilities and facts present. Not sure why.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I still think it will probably come out at some point. Having just read a little about it, one of the producers said more information would become available in 2013, and it's only February now. If there's still nothing on it at E3 I might believe it's not happening though

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Johnny Aztec posted:

It always weirds me out a bit when people use the GBA/re-translated names for items in FF6. I sit there going " wait..Lightbringer, I've played FF6 dozen of times, what the hell is a Lightbringer?"
I guess it's just a new generation of people appreciating the classics.

Heh, well like I said, I never got it the first time I played the game, which was the Final Fantasy Anthology version for PS1. Mystic Quest was technically my first FF game, but I only played that by renting it, the first FF game I owned was 7. So I'd played 7, 8, and 9 (and Tactics) before I played 6, and I only played that version once because of loading times.

So yeah, the version of 6 I've played the most is the Advance version. The fact that I came into the FF series fairly late may be a big reason why I don't hold 6 in as high regard as other people do.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Haha Mystic Quest. That was my first JRPG in general...

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You all better not be badmouthing Mystic Quest. That was my first real JPRG and I still fire it up to this day when I need a good palette cleansing game.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really, after FFXIII, Mystic Quest is alright in my book.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I like Mystic Quest, but I'd hardly call it a good game. I enjoy it though for its great level design and :krad: soundtrack.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
As I've put it; XIII has taught me that MQ isn't as bad a game as I gave it grief for being and learned to accept it, :black101: music and all.

Still no convincing me Secret of Evermore was a good idea, though.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

pretend to care posted:

Haha Mystic Quest. That was my first JRPG in general...

It's a pretty good game. Not as good as FFXIII, but pretty good.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

It's a pretty good game. Not as good as FFXIII, but pretty good.

In Bizzaro World, maybe.

MQ knows how to entertain for one thing.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 21, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Eggie posted:

I like Mystic Quest, but I'd hardly call it a good game. I enjoy it though for its great level design and :krad: soundtrack.

Mystic Quest was a pretty solid game, even excluding the amazing soundtrack, considering it was made in part to be an RPG that people who hadn't played RPGs could pick up and get into the genre with, giving it a pretty simple and straightforward setup.

Considering how blocky and icon-heavy a lot of the game was I'm surprised they never put it on mobile considering that even FF2 has ended up there... but not 5 or 6 :argh:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Mystic Quest was a pretty solid game, even excluding the amazing soundtrack, considering it was made in part to be an RPG that people who hadn't played RPGs could pick up and get into the genre with, giving it a pretty simple and straightforward setup.

Considering how blocky and icon-heavy a lot of the game was I'm surprised they never put it on mobile considering that even FF2 has ended up there... but not 5 or 6 :argh:

5 and 6 have been sitting in some weird limbo for a long time. Every other game in the series up to 4 has seen remake after remake and two of the top tier entries were last seen on GBA. 4 has been remade twice this generation with the 3D polygonal DS release and the smooth HD sprite style on PSP. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy 4 as much as anyone, but 5 had the job system and 6 is just amazing on every level. I'd really like them to visit upgraded remakes of those two more than anything else.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Levantine posted:

I'd really like them to visit upgraded remakes of those two more than anything else.

They're doing something with FF5 and iOS but exactly what remains to be seen.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Twelve by Pies posted:

So yeah, the version of 6 I've played the most is the Advance version. The fact that I came into the FF series fairly late may be a big reason why I don't hold 6 in as high regard as other people do.
The whole thing, I think, about 6 and Mystic Quest and all the best-remembered games is that they really don't take themselves THAT seriously. Even after the world ends, FF6 still manages to feel pretty Saturday Morning Cartoon-ey, and it's not just the script but the events in general that give you this notion. It was very... middle grade fictioney, it established a number of characters and it's pretty obvious the designers would like for you to enjoy them or connect with them on some level, but at the same time, they take the "if you don't, you don't" approach. Each character gets their moment, but after that, it's really up to you to like 'em or not.

The polar opposite being FF8, where the designers wanted you to like Squall so much that they went so far as to make him never change or develop or anything, and just forced this annoying rear end in a top hat into the spotlight 24/7 as if you'd bond with him Stockholm Syndrome style.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 22, 2013

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

The White Dragon posted:

The polar opposite being FF8, where the designers wanted you to like Squall so much that they went so far as to make him never change or develop or anything, and just forced this annoying rear end in a top hat into the spotlight 24/7 as if you'd bond with him Stockholm Syndrome style.

Uh, Squall's character spent the whole game changing. That's why most of his dialogue starts as an inner monologue and then he becomes much more verbal and forthcoming.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SpazmasterX posted:

Uh, Squall's character spent the whole game changing. That's why most of his dialogue starts as an inner monologue and then he becomes much more verbal and forthcoming.

I replayed 8 really recently--like last year--and as far as I could tell, Squall really doesn't grow in the sense you would expect a character to. Like, in terms of maturation. Opening your mouth more often doesn't make you a completely different character if the things coming out of it are the same, and for the most part, they were. I don't care how much you can step up to give orders, he was never much more than a detached and distant narrator. He never stops being anything but ambivalent at best toward others. Well, barring anything involving Rinoa, where Squall latches on to her the very moment he can't have her any more.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shaezerus posted:

They're doing something with FF5 and iOS but exactly what remains to be seen.

Whatever it is I'm sure we'll be expected to pay $15-20 upfront or 50+ in chunks for the whole thing.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Evil Fluffy posted:

Whatever it is I'm sure we'll be expected to pay $15-20 upfront or 50+ in chunks for the whole thing.

Playing up to the Wind Crystal is free, but Job class unlocks cost one dollar each, and you have to buy all of them to continue the game. In addition, the second and third worlds will cost ten bucks each.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Still no convincing me Secret of Evermore was a good idea, though.

I agree.

It was an amazing idea.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
I always wanted a sequel to Mystic Quest.

As a kid I always figured the MC and Tristam went off on the boat at the end to go on more amazing adventures into lands split into four parts corresponding to the elements! :allears:

FFMQ was my first jRPG too. I think it was a great strategy marketing that game for kids back in the day. Definitely got me hooked.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ShadeofDante posted:

There is one, they called it Final Fantasy Legend 3 :downs:

What blew my mind about FFMQ is how you could make a name of eight characters instead of just 4-6. Sadly, this of course means you can't actually fit in the hero's true canonical name, Benjammin.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 22, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

SpazmasterX posted:

He goes from jackass who talks to himself in his head to jackass who speaks. This is not growth, just him realizing his vocal chords work. Squall changes about a fraction over the course of FF8's insipid plot.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Azure_Horizon posted:

He goes from jackass who talks to himself in his head to jackass who speaks. This is not growth, just him realizing his vocal chords work. Squall changes about a fraction over the course of FF8's insipid plot.

If I were in Squall's shoes, I would do more or less the exact same thing. Every major character he interacts with is a god drat travesty. Except Laguna obviously.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 22, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

To give him slight credit he does actually acknowledge that he likes having other people around.

He just does it in the most jackassy way possible.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

ShadeofDante posted:

As a kid I always figured the MC and Tristam went off on the boat at the end to go on more amazing adventures into lands split into four parts corresponding to the elements! :allears:

FFMQ was my first jRPG too. I think it was a great strategy marketing that game for kids back in the day. Definitely got me hooked.

I wonder how effective Mystic Quest was at drawing in western audiences. Because even though it's not a great game, it's pretty accessible and likeable. I played it and I liked it and if I hadn't liked RPGs already, I would have after playing MQ.

My first RPG was Super Mario RPG, and what better way to get into the genre- using a popular franchise among the west and making it into an RPG. Unfortunately, SMRPG was released at the tail-end of the Super Nintendo's lifespan.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The way they presented Squall was fine; getting inside the head of a standoffish, misunderstood loner and watching him come out of his shell is a concept that has a lot of potential. The problem is that the character in question was Squall. He's not charismatic, he hasn't traveled very far by the end of his character arc, and the romance driving it all was not compelling at all. With such an intimate view of a character, the audience should see how and why they changed, and both of those things are pretty tenuous in his case.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ImpAtom posted:

To give him slight credit he does actually acknowledge that he likes having other people around.

He just does it in the most jackassy way possible.

His idea of acknowledging that he likes others around is to completely ignore everyone except Rinoa.

Friendship! FF8!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Azure_Horizon posted:

His idea of acknowledging that he likes others around is to completely ignore everyone except Rinoa.

Friendship! FF8!

Remind me again who he should be engaging in magical anime friendship hooliganery with again? Chickenwuss? Ethics violation? Pantyshot McTrainfetishist? Robin Williams? Perhaps the scientist in the dog cone? Maybe Screamo and Lazy? Let's ignore that the reason Squall ignores all those people is because the whole game forgets they exist from a plot perspective, would you want to be friends with these people? poo poo I wouldn't even want to hang out with Rinoa. I would be like welp thanks for the employment and whatnot, I am off to Esthar, as far away from you crazy people as possible. Get Laguna to get me a cushy cabinet position and spend all day hanging out with people who aren't completely off their rocker.

Edit: My cabinet position would be, "Minister of doing sicknasty tricks in my airship that looks like a dragon."

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 22, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Failboattootoot posted:

Remind me again who he should be engaging in magical anime friendship hooliganery with again? Chickenwuss? Ethics violation? Pantyshot McTrainfetishist? Robin Williams? Perhaps the scientist in the dog cone? Maybe Screamo and Lazy? Let's ignore that the reason Squall ignores all those people is because the whole game forgets they exist from a plot perspective, would you want to be friends with these people? poo poo I wouldn't even want to hang out with Rinoa. I would be like welp thanks for the employment and whatnot, I am off to Esthar, as far away from you crazy people as possible. Get Laguna to get me a cushy cabinet position and spend all day hanging out with people who aren't completely off their rocker.

Edit: My cabinet position would be, "Minister of doing sicknasty tricks in my airship that looks like a dragon."

Well yeah, I'm not saying he has any better options, but to say Squall grows is just funny, because it doesn't really happen.

Laguna and co. would have made a better main party, but... even Laguna has stupid sections, like Winhill. I would rather punt little Ellone into the stratosphere.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Irvine would be a pretty chill friend imho

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Paperhouse posted:

Sure, when he's not sexually harassing every pair of boobs he sees or having a panic attack over the job he trained constantly for.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

Hard to say, all Irvine does is hit on women and not shoot his sort of mom. He'd probably want to set the radio in the ragnarok to some country western nonsense and that is just unacceptable.

Edit: SpazmasterX knows the score.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

Didn't he also drop the stupid "I forgot to tell you guys that we all grew up together but everyone else forgot, because GFs live in your heads and eat memories" plot twist?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

GloomMouse posted:

Didn't he also drop the stupid "I forgot to tell you guys that we all grew up together but everyone else forgot, because GFs live in your heads and eat memories" plot twist?

To be fair, I can fully sympathize with not wanting to blurt out "HOLY poo poo MY FAMILY! IT'S BEEN SO LONG!" when none of them remember you or their time together. Well, at least I can sympathize with him not saying that right when you meet him.

Sometime around the Garden becoming an airship would have been the right time to call a staff meeting on that.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008

GloomMouse posted:

Yeah, and while it makes the panic attack over shooting Edea make more sense as he knew it was the woman who basically raised him, it doesn't make the convenient "oh yeah GFs completely wreck long term memory" thing any less stupid.

Having recently beat FF8, I have to say while it's up there in my favorite Final Fantasy games, discs 3 and 4 feel really compressed (heh), and yeah Squall's character arc literally consists of starting at angsty teen with abandonment issues, to conflicted teen with abandonment issues, to finally oh hey having relationships is kind of cool I guess. I mean the story is fairly compact and reasonable, and is well resolved, but that doesn't really make up for the one dimensional characters.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

rargphlam posted:

Yeah, and while it makes the panic attack over shooting Edea make more sense as he knew it was the woman who basically raised him, it doesn't make the convenient "oh yeah GFs completely wreck long term memory" thing any less stupid.

Having recently beat FF8, I have to say while it's up there in my favorite Final Fantasy games, discs 3 and 4 feel really compressed (heh), and yeah Squall's character arc literally consists of starting at angsty teen with abandonment issues, to conflicted teen with abandonment issues, to finally oh hey having relationships is kind of cool I guess. I mean the story is fairly compact and reasonable, and is fairly well resolved, but that doesn't really make up for the one dimensional characters.

The whole Time Kompression idea was reasonable? The ending of FF8 is "everything is fine because."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
Time Compression worked as the general big bad threat, yeah, but I'm trying to ignore what happens after the paradox is resolved. The whole power of love thing the ending and the game was working with would have probably gone over better if the game had tried to make the characters worthwhile at all.

I guess I'm fine with the whole threat story arc, and not the character development arc.