Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Cardboard Box posted:

bryan alvarez is the kind of guy who watched reefer madness as a kid and thought everything it said was legit

He and Dave kept calling it dope on the show. I was waiting for them to pull a Nick Gulas and start railing against those drat marijuana pills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bryan basically jumped straight out of the Johnny Dakota episode of Saved By The Bell.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Bryan basically jumped straight out of the Johnny Dakota episode of Saved By The Bell.

I assume he thought it was something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bflYjF90t7c

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:
I don't care what anyone says, I love Todd Martin.

I love how he actually knows what he's talking about, both in MMA and Wrestling, I love how he's sharp and astute and always has interesting perspectives that the rest of the crew doesn't think about, I love how he likes playing Devil's Advocate just so he can hear his own voice and piss Bryan off. Dude's great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

I love how he actually knows what he's talking about, both in MMA and Wrestling, I love how he's sharp and astute and always has interesting perspectives that the rest of the crew doesn't think about, I love how he likes playing Devil's Advocate just so he can hear his own voice and piss Bryan off. Dude's great.

He has shown time and time again his knowledge of MMA is pretty limited and that his views are rather idiotic. The poo poo he said in the thread on the Board about the amateur wrestler allowing a handicapped kid to pin him was just awful. He should go away and never come back.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Welcome to SA, Todd

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:
gently caress y'all, I'm in the Todd Squad.

Even if you think he's an idiot, there's no denying he's very sharp when compared to Bryan.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

gently caress y'all, I'm in the Todd Squad.

Even if you think he's an idiot, there's no denying he's very sharp when compared to Bryan.

If by sharp you mean more committed to false opinions and strawman arguments, sure.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

That was a great post and I refuse to believe SNARF was being honest.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

trolling isn't tolerated on these forums

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
can we all agree at least that he's entertaining?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i think he's boring.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

i think he's boring.

What about that time he started explaining American Odds to Bryan? I was laughing all the way through.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The best thing Todd Martin ever did was kayfabe examine legal case Kevin Steen had against RoH with the nonconsensual time travel bit.

Other than that he's dumb and fat

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Why Colt why are you plugging that Botched Spot comic? :cry:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

achillesforever6 posted:

Seems to be his bag. I don't blame him or anything but Colt's shtick got old a long time ago.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

A while ago I made a habit of skipping the first and last 10 minutes of AoW whenever I bothered to listen to it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Gaylord Plower posted:

A while ago I made a habit of skipping the first and last 10 minutes of AoW whenever I bothered to listen to it.
For some reason keeps loving up when I try pausing or skipping forward and just restarts the show.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Is there an observer where Dave tore into, or criticized, or even just extensively talked about Kevin Dunn? I asked him a question about the guy on one of the call ins but it was pretty short.

The real question I have is apart from being the most hated man in the business, is he also the reason why production values have been so high (recent shaky-cam notwithstanding)?

Just a date for the issue would be fine.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Arbite posted:

Is there an observer where Dave tore into, or criticized, or even just extensively talked about Kevin Dunn? I asked him a question about the guy on one of the call ins but it was pretty short.

The real question I have is apart from being the most hated man in the business, is he also the reason why production values have been so high (recent shaky-cam notwithstanding)?

Just a date for the issue would be fine.
I can't remember anything in the past few years beyond being gone once HHH takes over and being smart enough not to get involved with any Network plans.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

They're probably paying him as a sponsor.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

They're probably paying him as a sponsor.
Yeah that was pretty dumb of me not to realize :downs:

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

He has shown time and time again his knowledge of MMA is pretty limited and that his views are rather idiotic. The poo poo he said in the thread on the Board about the amateur wrestler allowing a handicapped kid to pin him was just awful. He should go away and never come back.

Please elaborate.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Please elaborate.

Todd Martin posted:

Yes. I think there's a greater human dignity and pride to be celebrated in trying and failing in competition than being gifted something out of pity. Just my 2 cents.

I know the board isn't the place to be addressing serious philosophical arguments, what with assholes trying to score cheap points. But I absolutely stand by my point. And I think it ought to be self evident that my original point was not an endorsement of humiliating the child. If the other kid hadn't let him win, the audience all could have still given him a standing ovation for his effort, as I mentioned before. And then the audience would have been cheering for something real that he accomplished rather than for something fake that he didn't.

The difference between winning and losing in that match was rolling one way or the other. The kid wasn't going to be in any more or less discomfort either way. This steady parade of disingenuous strawmen attackis irritating as hell, particularly given the point is about respecting human dignity and the only person who has weighed in with a physical disability here agrees with me and put the point much, much more vehemently than I did.

Yes, the recurring sentiment among the people criticizing me is to emphasize how little this person can do. My point is he's still a person, still worthy of being treated like other people as much as possible, still capable of achieving moments of success, however small. And letting him achieve such things and applauding him for his successes is more rewarding than pretending he accomplished things he didn't and applauding yourself for pretending because you're assuming he's past the point of being able to achieve. And if you're trying to use this point about human dignity, aimed for entirely positive purposes, into some easy cheap shot as if I'm trying to make fun of, demean or hurt anybody, is as I've repeatedly said, a really loving lovely way to act.

My experience is that in life, nobody likes to feel like the other person let them win. If the kid with CP lost (who was apparently physically but not mentally disabled), he would have been celebrated afterwards for trying. Instead, he had to know he had been given a win. It wasn't something he had asked for in advance. The celebration afterwards thus called attention to his disability rather than his ability to overcome it. I assume in wrestling he wanted to feel like other kids and instead it was emphasized that he wasn't. I obviously don't know how he felt about the whole situation, and hopefully he was happy, but this repeated notion that somehow I'm shooting down what made the kid happy seems to me an assumption drawn out of thin air. And that's not to knock him or the other kid or the parents. It's just to say, as I did at the beginning, that the other kid just pinning him wouldn't have been such a terrible thing.
He basically thinks letting the kid win was out of pity and didn't help him.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 22, 2013

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
To borrow from the wrestling vernacular we all love so much, Todd Martin is the drizzling shits. I hate him and avoid every show he is on.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Wow. Add blowhard rear end in a top hat to idiotic auto-contrarian.

harley
Sep 2, 2004
The Bryan and Vinny show needs to get rid of Granny. I particularly like Vinny but Granny shows up and ruins the flow. It's dreadful listening to her.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

harley posted:

The Bryan and Vinny show needs to get rid of Granny. I particularly like Vinny but Granny shows up and ruins the flow. It's dreadful listening to her.

I agree. She's a great person but I'm not interested in anything she has to say or Bryan's patronizing responses.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
But Granny has had some great segments lately

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I stopped listening to Granny years ago. Just skip to 30 minutes in and make a few slight adjustments from there.

They had that discussion about sunset flips and the ropes years ago, I laughed when Bryan said he'd never thought about it before.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'll listen to the granny segments when there's a contest or if someone here says that she said some really funny things, but I stopped consistently listening because although she seems like a nice lady and all, it's just kind of the same thing over and over.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Guess who just got on the live Art of Wrestling? :smug:

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

harley posted:

I only listen to the free shows and there is nothing worse than hearing about Bryan's cats for fifteen goddamn minutes and then hearing him telle Vinny to rush through reviewing whatever show because no one cares

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fiveace Attorney posted:

I only listen to the free shows and there is nothing worse than hearing about Bryan's cats for fifteen goddamn minutes and then hearing him telle Vinny to rush through reviewing whatever show because no one cares

You are not human.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

15 minute chats about cats are the highlights of the Bryan & Vinny show experience

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The only bad pet chats are pet chats with Dave, those mean his dog died. That doesn't mean they were all bad, let's not forget how smart that dog was (it hated Frank Shamrock.)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fiveace Attorney posted:

You don't really get B&V.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I love Bryan and Vinny (and Granny) but I do agree that it's kinda lame when Bryan doesn't let Vinny talk. I hear Bryan all week. I want some Vinny.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I hope Dave's mom orders the show and recaps UFC on the podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Was anyone else stunned that Dave has a mom?

Not that she's alive, just that he, ya know, has parents. Seems unlikely.

• Locked thread