Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Chaltab posted:

I'm pretty sure 30FPS was the target from the start. In fact, in a prior version of this thread I expressed disappointment that it wasn't at 60FPS and someone pointed out that since the Wii version targeted 30 out of necessity, all the animations would have to be redone to increase the frame rate.

If the animations are framerate reliant wouldn't they want it to be locked, and not fluctuating over a fairly wide range like it seems to be reported?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well it's out in Japan, someone just ask 2ch what the frame rate is.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Well it seems to stagger for me. Even on the Wii monsters had smooth animations and such but this is lagging like crazy.

Also, since it doesn't support the Wiimote+nunchuck (what the gently caress capcom), I'm trying to get used to the "PS2" controls everyone hails as the only way to play it and this certainly doesn't help with the newbie unfriendliness.

Please Capcom tell me more about how awesome it is to use the Start button as an alternate attack, go through menus using YXBA, and having the right analog stick move smoothly in the x-axis but snap around on the y-axis (yet be just as smooth underwater :psyduck:).

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/31/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-and-the-hunting-party/

quote:

It also appeared that the game was running at a constant 60 frames per second, which the PR rep verified.

I've been believing the lie this entire time :smith:. Oh well, I still think the game looks great. I've already killed a litter of Lagombi's!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

Lagombi (giant bunny) is also not..ideal for new players. His attack patterns are pretty erratic (and loving annoying) compared to something like a Qurupeco, he's also able to freeze you and do other annoying poo poo. I can't imagine anyone new to the series enjoying this at all, on top of the lack of control explanation.

The second I load the icy place the framerate is like 20FPS. It dips even further during the actual fight.

I'm brand spanking new to the series and took out the bunny with absolutely zero problems with the default sword and board dude. He telegraphed his moves easily, the general trick was to just stay behind him and pummel since the only backwards-reaching move he had was some sort of butt bump that barely hurt at all. Then again, I've played a decent amount of Dark Souls so I just approached the monster like a Dark Souls fight. :shobon:

And I didn't have any frame rate problems either. I'm going to go ahead and try him again with a big anime sword guy (I'm sure there is one) since I did a hell of a lot more rolling than blocking.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

deadwing posted:

I'm brand spanking new to the series and took out the bunny with absolutely zero problems with the default sword and board dude. He telegraphed his moves easily, the general trick was to just stay behind him and pummel since the only backwards-reaching move he had was some sort of butt bump that barely hurt at all. Then again, I've played a decent amount of Dark Souls so I just approached the monster like a Dark Souls fight. :shobon:

That is pretty much the perfect way to approach this series, nice work

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I'm a vet of both the souls series and the MH series. Lagombi is an easy fight, but not to a beginner of games like this. A demo is supposed to sell a product and this will just turn people away.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I feel like it would be hard to capture the true spirit of monster hunter in a demo. Remember the tutorial in the game is really the first 5-10 missions. I haven't played the demo yet but it probably doesn't introduce the hunter/gathering aspects of the game. Oh well, hopefully people will buy it because there is nothing else coming out and get hooked after playing through the beginning.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Having only played tri and bits of FU, Lagombi was super easy. Plesioth is a bitch because underwater combat with him is super weird, he's incredibly mobile. My failure might also have to do with the fact that I suck with bows.

0 frame rates issues here too.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I don't find anything when I look it up. I can't be the only one experiencing this. :psyduck: I should just redownload the demo.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Soul Glo posted:

What high horse? Backwards compatibility is a nice bonus, but it's awfully whiney (and almost more to the point-- completely unrealistic) to demand it in every subsequent console.

Calling me or any consumer who appreciates Nintendo's dedication to the previous console whiny?

Your level of frustration with this suggests you work in the game industry. Or at GameStop.

Backwards compatibility is a perk that attracts customers to your console. Nintendo has done it for a long time, and they have people coming back because of it?

That reminds me, I should go find a used Gamecube to hook up to a ... what was the carriage it sat in that could play GBA games?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Red posted:

That reminds me, I should go find a used Gamecube to hook up to a ... what was the carriage it sat in that could play GBA games?

The Game Boy Player.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

ZeroAX posted:

I feel like it would be hard to capture the true spirit of monster hunter in a demo. Remember the tutorial in the game is really the first 5-10 missions. I haven't played the demo yet but it probably doesn't introduce the hunter/gathering aspects of the game. Oh well, hopefully people will buy it because there is nothing else coming out and get hooked after playing through the beginning.

Yea, if someone is completely new to Monster Hunter the demo gives you a good idea about combat and that's basically it. You pick a weapon and fight one of two monster's; you can gather/carve if you want but it doesn't really mean much or do anything because once you kill your target the demo resets. It doesn't let you view the bonuses and whatnot you are getting from armor either.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

It doesn't let you view the bonuses and whatnot you are getting from armor either.

I think they're a bit cheated up for the demo. You get HR equipment and weapons with blue sharpness, and you can take like 10 hits from monsters before needing a chug, which is simply NOT the case in the full game with the exception of like Great Jaggi.

So not only is the Demo terrible for new players but it's lying to them about the difficulty of the actual game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Red posted:

Calling me or any consumer who appreciates Nintendo's dedication to the previous console whiny?

Are you actually reading my posts that you can't stop quoting? I literally said that BC is a nice bonus. I didn't say people who appreciate it are whiny. I said people who demand it, who stomp their feet like children when they don't get it, are whiny and entitled. Posting is only half of being on a message board, the other half is actually reading what you respond to.

:psyduck:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A long time? The Wii was their first home console with backwards compatibility. Gameboys had it, but until GBA came out they weren't really even a new handheld. And after DS they seem to remove backwards compatibility with each generation. It could no longer play GBC games, then DSi no longer had a GBA slot. Come to think of it, Wii has not been backwards compatible in a couple years either, they removed the memory card slotsand controller ports. The WiiThem may only go backwards as far as the U, or not at all.

Still if Nintendo instead of ensuring backwards compatibility had instead used that money on a decent audio port, more internal space, and used that development time to have a decent OS actually ready on day 1, maybe tossed more ram in instead of hardware necessary for their last generation of games, I think the system would be far the better for it.
The game boy player was the best accessory ever though.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Bobnumerotres posted:

I think they're a bit cheated up for the demo. You get HR equipment and weapons with blue sharpness, and you can take like 10 hits from monsters before needing a chug, which is simply NOT the case in the full game with the exception of like Great Jaggi.

So not only is the Demo terrible for new players but it's lying to them about the difficulty of the actual game.

Well that's kind of a silly point. The demo needs to be easy because it can't ease you into the harder fights gradually like the full game will.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't think I can really get into this Monster Hunter game, but man is it pleasant to see a 1080 Wii U game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So I just turned on my Wii U for the first time in awhile for the MH3U demo and I noticed that my WaraWara Plaza no longer has content based around games displayed, just generic Nintendo channels based on the Wii U features itself. This actually manages to bother me to some degree, how do I fix that? I used to have all these Sonic and Zombi U and NicoNico feeds and I'd like to see the drawings people make again :(

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You probably just missed a connection to the server or something. It'll probably fix itself.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Policenaut posted:

So I just turned on my Wii U for the first time in awhile for the MH3U demo and I noticed that my WaraWara Plaza no longer has content based around games displayed, just generic Nintendo channels based on the Wii U features itself. This actually manages to bother me to some degree, how do I fix that? I used to have all these Sonic and Zombi U and NicoNico feeds and I'd like to see the drawings people make again :(

This happened to me the other day, I assume it just had a bad connection since it fixed itself. Netflix was also slower to load videos at the time.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Thats happened to me, and it fixed itself the next time I visited the plaza

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Also had that happen to me the other day and also felt like I was missing out on seeing what other people are playing. It's like using an Xbox when live is down, it feels like half an experience.

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.
I'm completely new to monster hunter. I murdered the two mammoth things in area "1", went to area "2", and hit the bunny a few times amist getting ice-slide body slammed several times and "fainting" while my sidekick things constantly said "HAW I'M NOT RETREATING I'M LEAVING WITH STYLE" or something like that.

Not impressed, hate that there's no control guide, accidentally drank three potions before I realized what I was doing.

Second attempt: Killed the rabbit beast thing after 15 minutes of chasing it through different areas and hitting it with the same sword/shield mashing combos (TONS of follow through, very slow feeling, takes several seconds to get to the next action after the three swing combo). I use combo loosely, as I could only get up to about 5 consecutive hits between sword and shield. The way it boots you out of the game is really awkward feeling, like "okaywellthanksforcomingijustdiscoveredmytoiletisoverflowingpleaseleavebye!" One of the times it changed areas and I followed it, it was standing past the line that transfers me to the other area, meaning I couldn't touch it and actually causing me to go back to the area I just came from.

This game can't really be as bad as the demo is, can it? Do all of the characters just have one to two moves they use to damage creatures and a dive/roll? Is sword and shield the worst one? What about health bars? Why did my weapon dull while I was fighting? Random health and defense bonuses also popped up, but why?

The game is gorgeous though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Magnatux posted:

I'm completely new to monster hunter. I murdered the two mammoth things in area "1", went to area "2", and hit the bunny a few times amist getting ice-slide body slammed several times and "fainting" while my sidekick things constantly said "HAW I'M NOT RETREATING I'M LEAVING WITH STYLE" or something like that.

Not impressed, hate that there's no control guide, accidentally drank three potions before I realized what I was doing.

Second attempt: Killed the rabbit beast thing after 15 minutes of chasing it through different areas and hitting it with the same sword/shield mashing combos (TONS of follow through, very slow feeling, takes several seconds to get to the next action after the three swing combo). I use combo loosely, as I could only get up to about 5 consecutive hits between sword and shield. The way it boots you out of the game is really awkward feeling, like "okaywellthanksforcomingijustdiscoveredmytoiletisoverflowingpleaseleavebye!" One of the times it changed areas and I followed it, it was standing past the line that transfers me to the other area, meaning I couldn't touch it and actually causing me to go back to the area I just came from.

This game can't really be as bad as the demo is, can it? Do all of the characters just have one to two moves they use to damage creatures and a dive/roll? Is sword and shield the worst one? What about health bars? Why did my weapon dull while I was fighting? Random health and defense bonuses also popped up, but why?

Monster Hunter is pretty much the same genre of "you're going to die alot to alot of bullshit" as Dark Souls. Only instead of wandering around given no direction, you instead have to fight bosses and apply the same constant trial and error methods. You're going to die alot in MH if you're new to the series. Once you kill your first Yian Kut Ku, you start to get how the game is played.

Capra Demon doesn't have poo poo on many of the MH bosses.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 21, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It also desperately needs a lock on since pretty much the first game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Magnatux posted:

I'm no MH expert, but there are a few things to note. Most of the time it's best to roll or sidestep after your combo as it will save seconds. All the weapons are pretty different... You've got some weapons that are relatively simple and rely on the same 1 or two combos and some weapons are much more in depth and have various gauges you are building up and utilizing.

When a monster moves to a new area, sometimes it's better to give it a little time before you move in because you face the situation you described in which you end up fighting right next to the zone boundary, but also depending on the monsters condition if you wait before following it into the next zone it will try to eat another monster or sleep in which case you get a bunch of free hits.

Edit: And weapon dullness determines how much damage you are doing with your weapon. In the demo you start at blue, and it dulls to green and eventually white. Basically you want to keep it at blue sharpness to be doing the most damage and you use the whetstones to do that.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 21, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Alteisen posted:

It also desperately needs a lock on since pretty much the first game.

Yeah I agree as well, no lock on is terrible. However purists would argue that by having a lock on makes the game too easy, because you're not supposed to spam hits and the larger weapons fling you across the screen just by hitting the boss.

Also Bows and Bowguns are cumbersome as all hell. When a monster hits rage mode(all monsters do this, they stand still and throw a temper tantrum) the ranged weapons reload time will wind up killing you. So just run when they're in rage mode and dodge.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 21, 2013

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Magnatux posted:

I'm completely new to monster hunter.

:words:

If you're just mashing one button, there is a limit to the combo, after which there's a short break. Real combos aren't just "you triggered the 4x combo!" like in a fighting game, nor are they like selecting a power in an RPG once you've unlocked the ability. Player skill and knowledge is paramount, and the demo won't give you that unfortunately.

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFDMXmL8Ip0

With sword and shield, hitting with the sword, shield, and rolling is all part of your actual combo, plus you would've selected status-affliction equipment. You leap into combat with an attack, attack out of your rolls, and keep on trucking continually. Where and when you hit monsters is very important, as is where you stand and when you dodge to avoid attacks. It's not really a "lock on / mash a button" game. If you're looking for Kingdom Hearts style combat, this is absolutely the wrong game to get since it's all very much manual driving.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

WendigoJohnson posted:

Monster Hunter is pretty much the same genre of "you're going to die alot to alot of bullshit" as Dark Souls. Only instead of wandering around given no direction, you instead have to fight bosses and apply the same constant trial and error methods. You're going to die alot in MH if you're new to the series. Once you kill your first Yian Kut Ku, you start to get how the game is played.

Capra Demon doesn't have poo poo on many of the MH bosses.

Trial and error, really? You just throw yourself at the monsteres until something works?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Bland posted:

Trial and error, really? You just throw yourself at the monsteres until something works?

You figure their patterns, when you can use items, which body parts are breakable...

Monster hunter is a very skill based game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The only bullshit I really see in the MH series is the area-transfer stuff, and that certain monsters pretty much don't have (resonable) openings in rage mode (if it's one-on-one).

From town -> other areas it asks you if you want to move to the next area with an indicator, and you press a button to go on. Why can't they do that on the field? It's insanely annoying when monsters hang out on the "load next area" line and you have to wait for them to get out. The worst is when you stun/sleep/pain threshold them into these spots and they are untouchable.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Are there any strategy games for this system that are decent? Even downloadable ones? I was planning on getting the system but I had some sudden expenses. We can still afford to get it but I'm not sure I want to unless there's definitely a decent strategy game for it. :-/.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bland posted:

You can generalize and make assumptions. A sword won't do good against something that looks like it's made of rock unless it's drat sharp compared to all other sword. Elemental weaknesses are often telegraphed, but there's no "It's super effective!" text. You might not realize a tail can be cut off until it happens by accident or you are informed you need one.

You don't get a popup saying "Weak to fire, hammer the face, wings can be cut off to make a pair of dapper shoes, sings a song to call other monsters."

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

The only bullshit I really see in the MH series is the area-transfer stuff, and that certain monsters pretty much don't have (resonable) openings in rage mode (if it's one-on-one).

From town -> other areas it asks you if you want to move to the next area with an indicator, and you press a button to go on. Why can't they do that on the field? It's insanely annoying when monsters hang out on the "load next area" line and you have to wait for them to get out. The worst is when you stun/sleep/pain threshold them into these spots and they are untouchable.

... I'm impressed you managed to put a status or even trap a monster beyond the line

Also for those of you complaining about difficulty, be glad hungry Deviljho isn't a thing in the demo :suicide:

e: quote disappeared??

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Zip posted:

Are there any strategy games for this system that are decent? Even downloadable ones? I was planning on getting the system but I had some sudden expenses. We can still afford to get it but I'm not sure I want to unless there's definitely a decent strategy game for it. :-/.

There are none nor are there any planned. PC is where you want to be for strategy games dude. Maybe they'll come a few years down the road but right now the only reason to pick up a Wii U is for Nintendo Land and Monster hunter, or maybe the promise of smash bros.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The only real strategy game for this console is probably never coming overseas: RotK 12.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Reoxygenation posted:

You figure their patterns, when you can use items, which body parts are breakable...

Monster hunter is a very skill based game.

Yeah I know I was bewildered that he could see the game as "Trial and error" because it's an immensely skill and tactics based game

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm sure one day there will be a kickass Fire Emblem or even Advance Wars game for Wii U, but nothing at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Bland posted:

Yeah I know I was bewildered that he could see the game as "Trial and error" because it's an immensely skill and tactics based game

To become better at MH you gotta try poo poo and probably fail horribly

If anything i'd like to point out the DS comparison, because the only similar thing between both is combat, the general gameplay and how you approach the game is very different

• Locked thread