Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Snowdens Secret posted:

So I got one of those big REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT keychains for it, just in case.

which will only signal to passersby "HEY THE KEY IS IN THIS THING" when you forget it again. Everyone does it from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

which will only signal to passersby "HEY THE KEY IS IN THIS THING" when you forget it again. Everyone does it from time to time.

My favorite "key left in the ignition" story is the goon who came back to his bike to find a bunch of leaves piled on top of the ignition and was pissed until he realized some good samaritan had done so to hide his keys from other passers-by.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Here's a really sweet IoM onboard video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40eyE0aXDJY

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I live in one of the bike-friendliest cities in the US, which means they're everywhere. Most of the time I love it, but the rest of the time, it's infuriating.

This video runs through my head a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbZn07rZJ88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgCqz3l33kU

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

My favorite "key left in the ignition" story is the goon who came back to his bike to find a bunch of leaves piled on top of the ignition and was pissed until he realized some good samaritan had done so to hide his keys from other passers-by.

I left my bike unattended overnight on the street in one of the dodgier bits of Glasgow with the key in the ignition. Noone bothered to steal it :(

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I don't want to start a cyclist shitstorm so I'll begin by saying that there are a lot of entitled cyclist dickheads. I know one who delivers sandwiches and the world is his bike lane.

That said, of those people criticizing them, who has actually tried commuting on a bike?

I don't excuse lovely cyclist behavior, but I understand it. Most of the ones I know are fed up with nearly being hit every time they ride by inattentive boobs. Those are definitely the worst, but then you can actually run into people with malice for cyclists as well.

I just think they get a lot of undeserved hate, and people like to single out bad cyclists while ignoring bad drivers. About any time I hear someone complain about cyclists IRL one of the big things is that they don't stop for stop signs, or they roll thru red lights.

Guess what? So do cars. In fact I see a poo poo tone more cars do this than bicycles. But sure, lets hate on the dude trying to pedal to work.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
I used to cycle to work and university for about a year. You can still complete your journey absolutely fine while obeying the regulations around cycling.

I appreciate it may be different in the States, but I have yet to see a car running a red light, while I see bicycles doing it every day, and I've had to not-quite-emergency stop for two this month. There's plenty of good cyclists, but there's way too many of the "pro" mob who think the full-body condom entitles them to do whatever the gently caress, whether it's jumping red lights or onto crowded pavement. I'm more forgiving of the ones who do it in normal clothes, because they're obviously picking up habits from these wankers. And I think we see a fair bit of rage against cars here!

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 21, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, opinions could be very localized I guess, depending on the cycling culture in the area. Here, there is none, at least compared to a big city. I can see that making them feel more marginalized.

Anyway for some more homegrown over the summer I road and cataloged some of the good backroads around here and I've just been adding them to youtube. It's just a cruise thru KY but skip around if you want to see some scenery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLlR6WSM2CQ

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

nsaP posted:

Yeah, opinions could be very localized I guess, depending on the cycling culture in the area. Here, there is none, at least compared to a big city. I can see that making them feel more marginalized.

This is very true. I can't stand most Seattle cyclists, but here on the peninsula, I have little to no issue. I'll just blame hipsters.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Pope Mobile posted:

This is very true. I can't stand most Seattle cyclists, but here on the peninsula, I have little to no issue. I'll just blame hipsters.

In Seattle, the cyclists that suddenly change from vehicle traffic to pedestrian traffic are the absolute worst and most dangerous.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

In Seattle most of the cyclists on the road you don't even interact with in a motor vehicle much since we've been improving and expanding our trails and bike lanes. Of course it's not true in all places in the city, but for every one dick cyclist on Capitol Hill there are several dozen responsible cyclists that you rarely encounter on main roads. If you're aggravated by cyclists as a motorist, continue to fund the cycling improvements that separate motor vehicles and bicycles.

Believe me, as a sometimes-cyclist in Seattle I try to avoid busy roads and major arterials as much as possible, but sometimes there just isn't a good alternative when you're trying to get from A to B. The more of those instances we can eliminate, the happier and safer everyone will be.

Back on topic, here, have an HP4:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I obey all red light and stop sign regulations on my bicycle if there is a single other car at or approaching the intersection, but gently caress if I'm going to needlessly stop for a line at a vacant intersection in a residential neighborhood where I can see the road is clear in all four directions. There was a study run some number of years ago where the researchers measured the energy required by various cyclists on their commutes (1) obeying all stop signs and traffic laws to the letter, then (2) treating stop signs as if they were yield signs, continuing through if there were no other vehicles. It takes something like 5 times the energy to go the same distance if you stop at all the signs for no reason.

So I have no problem with cyclists skipping stop signs or red lights if it's absolutely safe to do so. Running a red light on a road with cars waiting (or, god forbid, actually driving through) is incredibly offensive and I have very little sympathy for the people who do it. I've found that 90% of the time if I slow down for a four-way stop where I don't have the right of way, the car waiting there waves me on anyway.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I just get frustrated as a motorist when a bike splits by me at a stopsign or light and then I have to do that thing where I have to wait for my chance to pass them at 15mph every goddamn time I hit a stop sign.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush and nsaP, I agree with you a lot, and Wootcannon, I agree with you as well.

I lived in Arkansas most of my life, where cyclists are generally treated like poo poo. I've been run off the road frequently, swerved at, been honked at by assholes with airhorns, had beercans tossed at me, etc. I was in the middle of a race when a douche in a bigass diesel slowed down next to us so he could throw hot coffee on my partner. Another friend got water tossed in his face while commuting. Basically harmless, but he was blinded for a few seconds by it while riding along a high-traffic street. The worst hate I usually got was at intersections, though. If I was in front of line at a traffic light and could safely cross, I'd run a red just so people wouldn't rage at me for making their start too slow when the light went green. Same for red lights, if I could safely get through without inconveniencing anybody else at the intersection, I'd usually just run it.

I've moved to a city with drat near as many bikes as cars, though, so I follow the rules more closely here. Cars actually expect you to stop in front of them at intersections, so no hate. Bike lanes in most streets, so there's a nice buffer. Our bike lanes actually split the car lanes at most traffic lights. I don't feel the need to skirt the rules quite as much here, because I don't have to ride like a vigilante to save my own rear end all the time. God help you if you ride your bike on a sidewalk, though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

What does it do?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nsaP posted:

I don't excuse lovely cyclist behavior, but I understand it. Most of the ones I know are fed up with nearly being hit every time they ride by inattentive boobs.

You realize we're all motorcyclists here and are also sick of nearly being hit every time we ride by inattentive boobs. We dont get so annoying about it that we get a sketch on Portlandia made about us.

There is a difference there.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I've tried riding a bicycle around here in CT. There are no bike lanes, even by the college. On any of the main roads (which are only 25-35MPH anyway) the right sides of the lanes are often filled with sand and garbage, and people won't hesitate to pass at pretty low relative speeds. The drivers are abysmal here, will make illegal turns / merges / run lights etc etc without warning and are a hazard if I'm on the motorcycle or in the car as well, but I feel safer in a cage or with 100+ HP to scoot me out of their way.

I've also drat near hit a couple bicyclists running red lights with headphones on or even texting while pedaling. In general the people on the road here are just awful regardless of vehicle.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You realize we're all motorcyclists here and are also sick of nearly being hit every time we ride by inattentive boobs. We dont get so annoying about it that we get a sketch on Portlandia made about us.

There is a difference there.

So do you cycle? Because there is a difference between the two, but you don't seem to be seeing it. A motorbike has mass and acceleration, and generally people respect your ownership of the lane. Cyclists have none of this.

So the judgement of whether or not someone is annoying is if they're featured on a comedy tv skit? If you think that entitled, angry dickhead motorcyclists don't exist you're delusional. If a motorcycle was a slow as a bicycle I bet you'd get the exact same thing. The difference there is that the dick motorcyclist probably just takes off thru traffic at double the posted limit, so instead of people thinking they're a noisy angry entitled dick, they just think they're a dangerous menace on the road.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Just a heads up this is a pretty stupid and pointless derail of a normally awesome thread.

Valt fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 22, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Motorcyclists and bicyclists are both terrible because at their roots they're both bikers and bikers are the worst. :colbert:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
This is excellent:

Here's some RSD that popped into my channel:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Valt posted:

Just a heads up this is a pretty stupid and pointless derail of a normally awesome thread.

Oh no a few off topic posts...how will we live?

Didn't seem stupid or pointless to me, I've learned something and gotten other perspectives from people. What's the alternative? Make a specific CA thread "Debate: Are cyclists assholes?" It's been a few posts...chill out. The megathread nature of CA means that small topics like this would be instantly lost in their own threads, and while they take up some space in the megathreads, it's pretty easy to skim over if it's not your bag. Just filter for images and videos...

In case people hadn't seen it on youtube, every WSBK race from 2012 has been upped in 480 or 720 and a lot of WSS races are up too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEwfvd9bnb0

Go to the actual youtube page and there's a playlist.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:ssh: if you read the description of CA we are actually intended for "motorcycles, bicycles...all that stuff with two wheels." And that's a totally fine attitude to have, I think.

Four wheels good, two wheels better!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nsaP posted:

So do you cycle? Because there is a difference between the two, but you don't seem to be seeing it. A motorbike has mass and acceleration, and generally people respect your ownership of the lane. Cyclists have none of this.

So the judgement of whether or not someone is annoying is if they're featured on a comedy tv skit? If you think that entitled, angry dickhead motorcyclists don't exist you're delusional. If a motorcycle was a slow as a bicycle I bet you'd get the exact same thing. The difference there is that the dick motorcyclist probably just takes off thru traffic at double the posted limit, so instead of people thinking they're a noisy angry entitled dick, they just think they're a dangerous menace on the road.

For every 1 idiot motorcyclist I see, I see 10 idiot cyclists. That stereotype exists for a reason.

I dont know what the can of worms smilie is, so pretend I used it here

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 22, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's what racists say about black people.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nsaP posted:

That's what racists say about black people.

But in this case its true

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Don't need a license or a clue about using the road to ride a bicycle on the street.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

To be fair, about the only prerequisite for getting a driver's license is a pulse and $25. There are far, far, far more terrible drivers than there are obnoxious cyclists - and they can do a hell of a lot more damage with their 2 ton boxes of steel.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
spandex sissies need to get out of the here with their sissy chat

ural demographic:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I leave the key in my bike all the time. On purpose. KiPass :smug:

:smith:

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

That is great :unsmith:

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
At some point on the extreme raked out choppers does the forks bending upwards start to function as the suspension?

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

obso posted:

At some point on the extreme raked out choppers does the forks bending upwards start to function as the suspension?

In this case yes. That front end is completely rigid, as in steel tubes only. This is actually not uncommon for really long front ends with lots of rake. I expect my other bikes front end to flex a fair amount and it only has 45 degrees of rake. That bike is probably more like 60.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My favorite "key out of the ignition" story is about the guy who I sold my CB650 to. He's a goon, but for the life of me I cant recall his username. Anyway, the CB got stolen out of his garage. He had the key on him, and a few weeks later found it in someone elses garage a few blocks away as he was walking by.

He stole it back.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

nsaP posted:

If you think that entitled, angry dickhead motorcyclists don't exist you're delusional. If a motorcycle was a slow as a bicycle I bet you'd get the exact same thing.

I'm pretty sure this forum has multiple Honda CL350 riders who would take offense to this

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm pretty sure this forum has multiple Honda CL350 riders who would take offense to this

Touche.

Sagebrush, are you angry? Do you yell about your rights?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

And you didn't post a link? For shame!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

And you didn't post a link? For shame!

So I don't get anybody fired by embedding dumb :nws: stuff, I'll link to this context-appropriate :nws: photo I took in Sturgis instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How does that lady poop?