Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

RadioPassive posted:

I live in Massachusetts. I got a 3-point speeding ticket in New York. I'm going to have a lawyer handle this whole thing, but I'm still wondering: Massachusetts is going to find out about this and raise my insurance rate if I'm convicted of the offense, right?

If it shows up on your MA driving record the next time your insurance company pulls it (usually at the renewal but some companies don't pull it every renewal), it very likely will. (IANAL but former insurance agent.) In some cases you get lucky with it not showing up if it was in a different state. I'm not sure how that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venetir
May 19, 2009
Hi everybody! I have a question about sending legal notices and letters in general. I'm noticing in various legal paperwork that I can give notice to someone's "usual place of business". Is this the business owned by the party or the business at which the party owns AND regularly works? I need to deliver notice to my former landlord who owns a business here in town; however, he lives out of state. Would that business still count? I'm having trouble as he is refusing to accept letters by certified mail, making it pretty tough to give him verifiable notice of anything. If that doesn't work, do you have any ideas? My situation is that he is playing the 'I never got your forwarding address' game with our former neighbors(also his former tenants) regarding the security deposit. He isn't accepting either of our notices of intent to vacate (verified via USPS certified mail) and accordingly isn't getting the included addresses, so we're afraid he's going to pull the same crap with us. I've also e-mailed my forwarding address to him several times, to which he conveniently never responds, and it's listed on a 3 day demand for repairs that I KNOW he accepted, but I just want to make sure my ducks are in a row.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
If you haven't received anything saying otherwise, you should send all legal notices to the same address you mailed your rent to. If he refuses certified mail at that address, then the next step varies by jurisdiction, so you'll need to tell us where you lived.

Venetir
May 19, 2009

Konstantin posted:

If you haven't received anything saying otherwise, you should send all legal notices to the same address you mailed your rent to. If he refuses certified mail at that address, then the next step varies by jurisdiction, so you'll need to tell us where you lived.

Of course: it was in Boise, Idaho, and he lives in Phoenix, Arizona. Thanks for your help, Idaho code seems to be pretty vague.

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx
Need some advice on where I stand. A few months back my manager at work called me to speak to me about my attendance. She said I was on my final warning. I was flabbergasted because I had never received a first or second warning. I come to find out that our attendance director had logged that someone had sat down to talk to me about days I have missed for days I have and have not missed.

Not only has no one ever communicated to me there was an issue, but the person purported to have had talked to me was fired around the time of these occurrences as well as well as the person who had filed these reports was away on bereavement.

I'm not sure what to do here, I need this job but I'm too poor to afford legal fees, especially if I need to take action and it backfires on me. I'm also in at-will state. We have an attendance policy but it looks to me like they decided to skip over that.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I had a really lovely experience with my divorce attorney. I was absolutely furious with this lady so I left her this pretty scathing but entirely truthful review on yelp:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/law-office-of-sousan-alemansour-santa-ana

I hadn't spoken with her since mid last year -- our last communication was me letting her have it over email. I filed a bar complaint but nothing came of it. Anyhow, just now, out of the blue I got a call from her at my work (I didn't pick up my cell) threatening that she was going to sue me if I didn't remove my yelp review. She said, "this is a cease and desist, I will sue you if you don't remove it in three days" or something like that.

My review is 100% truthful. I told her to go gently caress herself and she started screaming and cussing at me. Do I have anything to worry about?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lord Lilf posted:

Need some advice on where I stand. A few months back my manager at work called me to speak to me about my attendance. She said I was on my final warning. I was flabbergasted because I had never received a first or second warning. I come to find out that our attendance director had logged that someone had sat down to talk to me about days I have missed for days I have and have not missed.

Not only has no one ever communicated to me there was an issue, but the person purported to have had talked to me was fired around the time of these occurrences as well as well as the person who had filed these reports was away on bereavement.

I'm not sure what to do here, I need this job but I'm too poor to afford legal fees, especially if I need to take action and it backfires on me. I'm also in at-will state. We have an attendance policy but it looks to me like they decided to skip over that.

Its an at will state so you should probably go to work when you're supposed to.

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx

MassaShowtime posted:

Its an at will state so you should probably go to work when you're supposed to.

This isn't an issue with going to work when I'm supposed to. The days I missed used accumulated PTO. The issue is with them documenting dates never missed and conversations that never happened.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

visuvius posted:

I had a really lovely experience with my divorce attorney. I was absolutely furious with this lady so I left her this pretty scathing but entirely truthful review on yelp:

I hadn't spoken with her since mid last year -- our last communication was me letting her have it over email. I filed a bar complaint but nothing came of it. Anyhow, just now, out of the blue I got a call from her at my work (I didn't pick up my cell) threatening that she was going to sue me if I didn't remove my yelp review. She said, "this is a cease and desist, I will sue you if you don't remove it in three days" or something like that.

My review is 100% truthful. I told her to go gently caress herself and she started screaming and cussing at me. Do I have anything to worry about?

No, and you should file a second bar complaint.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Arcturas posted:

I concur, that's some ballsy poo poo. Copy and paste her email into your yelp review.

Your bar complaint may not get any action if she's not technically crossing any lines, but it still draws unwanted attention to her from the authoritai. Sometimes it requires a lot of smoke for them to put out a fire.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Lord Lilf posted:

This isn't an issue with going to work when I'm supposed to. The days I missed used accumulated PTO. The issue is with them documenting dates never missed and conversations that never happened.

How do you know when to go to work? How does work know that you are there? Do you have to schedule PTO, or do you just take the day off and assume the company tracks it for you?
This won't have any legal effect on your being fired, but it may become a factor if you apply for unemployment and they oppose it. Get whatever documentation showing when you were at work and when/ how you requested your PTO and get it now, because it will be harder to get if you're fired.

Arcturas posted:

If it goes any further, maybe get in contact with an attorney who does SLAPP work.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yep. It's malpractice, too, I'm just not sure she can recover anything. Negligence, issues with proof of damages, etc.

You might be able to sue and get your retainer back, but it's probably not worth the hassle. Definitely request the entire retainer in a counter-claim though, in case she does sue you.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

visuvius posted:

Tell her to go ahead and sue you and maybe she'd do a better job as a litigation attorney than a divorce one.

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx

joat mon posted:

How do you know when to go to work? How does work know that you are there? Do you have to schedule PTO, or do you just take the day off and assume the company tracks it for you?
This won't have any legal effect on your being fired, but it may become a factor if you apply for unemployment and they oppose it. Get whatever documentation showing when you were at work and when/ how you requested your PTO and get it now, because it will be harder to get if you're fired.

That's what I wanted know, but I also don't want to get fired for information falsely reported. I was told after a month this should all fall off, which I'm coming to. I'm going to file a complaint with HC dept for all that's worth. I realize I'm in an at-will state and they can make up a reason to fire someone if it suits but just wanted know where I stand. As far as PTO it's always been scheduled. Thanks for your input.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

visuvius posted:

She's going to sue Yelp too that's amazing. And she also gave her place of business one star.

Or maybe that is someone else posting pretending to be her. Still funny.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Queen Elizatits posted:

She's going to sue Yelp too that's amazing. And she also gave her place of business one star.

Or maybe that is someone else posting pretending to be her. Still funny.

Nope, thats for sure her. At first I thought you read my post wrong until I refreshed the yelp page. She must have hammered that out an hour after she called me. This is great:

This is a Demand for Cease and Desist directed to Hamid Y and to YELP. This is Attorney Alemansour. Should Yelp continue to publish defamatory, slanderous and libelling comments, appropriate legal action will be taken. Hamid Y's poor choice of words, malicious conduct and outright lies and YELP's failure to monitor the posting of these harmful fighting words is against the law and it will be dealt with accordingly. You are urged to remove comments made by Hamid Y, now! If there are other customers who have been harmed by YELP's negligent and malicious failure to monitor the posting of defamatory comments, you are urged to contact Attorney Alemansour at 949-253-4090 for inclusion in class action suit. Conduct yourself accordingly.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Someone get Popehat man on the line, SLAPP stuff over censorship is what he gets up for in the morning.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

It's like she's never heard of CDA section 230.

(She's never heard of section 230.)

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

visuvius posted:

This is a Demand for Cease and Desist directed to Hamid Y and to YELP. This is Attorney Alemansour. Should Yelp continue to publish defamatory, slanderous and libelling comments, appropriate legal action will be taken. Hamid Y's poor choice of words, malicious conduct and outright lies and YELP's failure to monitor the posting of these harmful fighting words is against the law and it will be dealt with accordingly. You are urged to remove comments made by Hamid Y, now! If there are other customers who have been harmed by YELP's negligent and malicious failure to monitor the posting of defamatory comments, you are urged to contact Attorney Alemansour at 949-253-4090 for inclusion in class action suit. Conduct yourself accordingly.

This is awesome.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Darn it, she deleted it. That was fast.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I got a screencap, one star and all.

So, there's nothing I need to do at this point? I'm considering filing another bar complaint for harassment or something but because the first one didn't do poo poo and it took forever to get the paperwork together, I'm a bit weary.

I hate this woman.

visuvius fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 22, 2013

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Encouraging strangers to join in a lawsuit against a former client is... interesting.

Tell her you'd love the opportunity to have a trial where the focus is her competence.

(keep the screensave, and if you want to get her file another complaint. This is truly crazy poo poo. You don't have to be super diligent about it, just turn in the stuff and let the bar do the work.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Someone get Popehat man on the line, SLAPP stuff over censorship is what he gets up for in the morning.

He's also based in LA.

Also from her bar record "Law School: Univ of West Los Angeles; Los Angeles CA". What is ABA accreditation?
Oh and this should be a hint for other people hiring lawyers. If your attorney didn't go to an ABA law school, you probably shouldn't use them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hahaha. University of West LA.

Isn't CA one of those states where you don't need to have a JD to pass the bar?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

euphronius posted:

Hahaha. University of West LA.

Isn't CA one of those states where you don't need to have a JD to pass the bar?

Yes

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

CA has the strictest bar requirements in the country. You can be a paralegal and sit for the bar, but it's a process. You can't just walk in off the street and take the test.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

xxEightxx posted:

CA has the strictest bar requirements in the country. You can be a paralegal and sit for the bar, but it's a process. You can't just walk in off the street and take the test.

Strictest minus that whole part where, you know, you don't need to attend an ABA accredited law school.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

xxEightxx posted:

The fact that I can walk into some shack in West LA, pay them, and pass two tests isn't exactly strict.
Hell, they let my rear end in.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Ugh. I'm getting angrier and angrier as I listen to you guys belittle her dumb rear end. The fact that I let this person bamboozle me pisses me off to no end.

When I picked her, I had talked to 3 or 4 other attorneys who were super pricey. This ladies rate seeme great at the time and she was super "go get em" right from the start. I just wanted to get the thing started and I was in a lovely spot so I just went with her.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
On my way home tonight I was wondering how I'd handle it if a disgruntled client went yelp-yapping.

visuvius posted:

This wasn't it either.

nm posted:

The fact that I can walk into some shack in West LA, pay them, and pass two tests isn't exactly strict.
Then again, you're not a real lawyer.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I'm not sure if this should be a post in here or an E/N thread...

So my girlfriend's roommate has been shifty as gently caress over the past few months. When she discovered evidence that he was abusing hard drugs she decided to move out. Ever since she told him that she's moving so he'll have to find another place, her stuff's gone missing. At first it was small things, like cables and stuff, but eventually it moved up to bigger things. She was supposed to move into her new place last week but it wasn't ready yet so it had to be delayed until tomorrow. During the moving process, her phone went missing but was found in one of the moving boxes a couple days later, fully charged. Finally tonight after he left for the last time she discovered her TV and laptop missing.

The dude's apparently not on the lease and the landlord's never spoken to him, meaning they've got no contact information for family members, other addresses, etc. She's got no idea where he went but he kept his key (which is good until the locks are changed after she leaves tomorrow) and he left his motorcycle, which to me says he probably plans on coming back.

Is there anything we can do to this guy? Did he get away with stealing all my girlfriend's poo poo? We live in Kansas City, MO, by the way.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
University of West LA requires a 140 LSAT to get in and has a ~12.5% bar pass rate

Yet people pay $22k a year to go there

:stare:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Is there anything we can do to this guy? Did he get away with stealing all my girlfriend's poo poo? We live in Kansas City, MO, by the way.

Yes, call the drat police. That is their job.
This is probably the only time in this thread I'll recommend talking to the police.

----
I'd also note that Yelp is pretty good at defending their users. I'd contact them.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 22, 2013

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Bruce Boxliker posted:

I'm not sure if this should be a post in here or an E/N thread...

So my girlfriend's roommate has been shifty as gently caress over the past few months. When she discovered evidence that he was abusing hard drugs she decided to move out. Ever since she told him that she's moving so he'll have to find another place, her stuff's gone missing. At first it was small things, like cables and stuff, but eventually it moved up to bigger things. She was supposed to move into her new place last week but it wasn't ready yet so it had to be delayed until tomorrow. During the moving process, her phone went missing but was found in one of the moving boxes a couple days later, fully charged. Finally tonight after he left for the last time she discovered her TV and laptop missing.

The dude's apparently not on the lease and the landlord's never spoken to him, meaning they've got no contact information for family members, other addresses, etc. She's got no idea where he went but he kept his key (which is good until the locks are changed after she leaves tomorrow) and he left his motorcycle, which to me says he probably plans on coming back.

Call the cops?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

nm posted:

Sorry, I wasn't being clear, I didn't mean strict requirements for being able to sit for the exam, I meant strict in terms of passing the exam. The reason CA has such a high failure rate is because there are so many unaccredited law schools. When you look at the passage rate of ABA approved law schools, it is usually between 70-80%

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.
Quick question, I've searched all over the net but only seem to find suggestions on how to get deposits back from the landlord, not the other way around. I live in Virginia and have off and on rented out a room in my house on craigslist. My father owns the house & I pay him rent/collect the rent from other roommates. My father & I don't have any written agreement (I don't know if this matters but figured I'd give all the info). In the past I've (stupidly) done it with no kind of lease agreement/deposit from the roommates and have been burned a bit (of course). The last guy who moved in I decided to look at some sample rental agreements and have him sign it. It was a month-to-month lease stating there would be no penalties on either end as long as the tenant or landlord gave the other 30 days notice. I figured it probably wouldn't be anything that would hold up in court (as it was signed by me & roommate, not Dad & roommate), but would hopefully have the roommate take the agreement more seriously. This time, I also asked for a small security deposit of $150. Specifically the part of the agreement that mentions the deposit reads as follows:

b) Within 30 days after the end of the tenancy the Landlord shall refund to the Tenant the security deposit with any interest due less deductions, together with an itemized statement of any deductions, forwarded to a mailing address which must be specified by the tenant. If mailing address not given within the 30 days, tenant gives up all rights to the deposit.

Couple months go by, this guy is not working out and my other roommate & I decide to give him notice that the next month would be his last. We notify him about 45 days in advance of when we would like him to be out by. He's a little upset, wants to continue to rent the room, we decline. He gets more upset, threatens to sue me (bluff) over telling him it'd be his last month, even though I actually gave him over a month's notice (which is also specified in the lease). He finally moves out, leaves some damage but nothing I'd bother going through the hassle of itemizing and taking out of the deposit. At first, he refuses to provide a mailing address and stops by the house on a few occasions right after moving out demanding his deposit in cash from me right then. I decline and let him know I'll need his mailing address. Frankly, with him threatening to sue me over it just not working out, I wanted to make sure to have a paper trail with returning his deposit in case he tried anything. I knew giving it to him in person/cash wouldn't be the best option.

Anyways, he finally gives me an address in another state which appears to be a business address. When I googled it to make sure it was a valid address, I viewed the company's website and it looks like his girlfriend's work, as she's in a photo on the main page.

I mail it about 20 days after he moved out via money order, certified mail, restricted delivery. Based on the tracking, it looks like it may end up returning to me. I do want to get this money order to him. However, if it does return, is there a specific timeframe where if he doesn't provide an alternate address, he forfeits the money? Or should I just be hanging onto the sealed envelope indefinitely? Also, if he provides another address, am I able to request he pays the postage for the second mailing? It cost me about $13 for the money order & mailing options.

All I can find online is that for Virginia it's the burden of the tenant to provide the forwarding address, but no specifics after that. And I'm not even sure if I would fall into that category with just renting out a room in the house. Any help is appreciated!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

edit

nevermind, reading error

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Write a check so you get the canceled check back after he cashes it.

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

Guy Axlerod posted:

Write a check so you get the canceled check back after he cashes it.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. I already mailed the money order? But the tracking is showing that it's undeliverable and might come back to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

supkirbs posted:

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. I already mailed the money order? But the tracking is showing that it's undeliverable and might come back to me.

When you get the money order back, write a check. That way you don't have to go to the trouble of using a traceable mailing method, since the payment is traceable. If he claims he never gets it, you can put a stop payment on the check and write a new one. You can't do that with a money order.