Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Holy loving poo poo Manhattan Projects #9 is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Holy loving poo poo Manhattan Projects #9 is great.

It's really funny how by now I like the characters so much that when Oppenheimer said "I'm going to eat you" I was completely on his side in an anti-hero kinda way. It's great how loose and unpredictable the series is and I really hope the art (which I think is great) doesn't keep more people from reading it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

gogisha posted:

It's really funny how by now I like the characters so much that when Oppenheimer said "I'm going to eat you" I was completely on his side in an anti-hero kinda way. It's great how loose and unpredictable the series is and I really hope the art (which I think is great) doesn't keep more people from reading it.

That's actually the primary reason I haven't read it. It's a bad excuse, I know, especially since I like Hickman, but I really do find the art to be incredibly off-putting. I realize it isn't technically deficient, but it actively repulses me.

Edit: I suppose I have no room to talk, since I've been reading BOOM's Fall of Cthulhu, volume 2 of which has some of the worst, most amateurish art I've ever seen in a purchaseable comic book. I got over myself and bought the first MP collection.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 18, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

That's actually the primary reason I haven't read it. It's a bad excuse, I know, especially since I like Hickman, but I really do find the art to be incredibly off-putting. I realize it isn't technically deficient, but it actively repulses me.
You are missing out on one of the best comics being put out, then. The art totally works for the series--give it another shot.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

redbackground posted:

You are missing out on one of the best comics being put out, then. The art totally works for the series--give it another shot.

I did! I'm going to read it tonight.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

gogisha posted:

Gagarin's line in #8, "tell him heroes are coming" made me do a little fist pump in my seat.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

redbackground posted:

I'm still lukewarm on the art myself, but the series is totally worth reading.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is the 5th Godzilla Half Century War still supposed to come out tomorrow? All I can find is some old rear end post telling me February 20th is the ship date.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Saga #10 may be my favorite and most emotional :cry: chapter of the series so far. This has yet to disappoint - amazing in every aspect.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

friendo55 posted:

Saga #10 may be my favorite and most emotional :cry: chapter of the series so far. This has yet to disappoint - amazing in every aspect.

I came here just to post about it. Spoilers for Saga 10 Poor lying cat :(

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Guys. Guys I have a confession. I...I didn't really like Happy. Something about it just never totally clicked in my head.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I started a pull at my local comic store just because I got turned onto Saga early. It's really great. I'm also getting the new Prophet and Manhattan Projects. Anybody have any other ongoing "must haves" I should look into? It's surprisingly hard to find good recommendations on the web.

For reference: I've read all of Y the Last Man, Walking Dead, I'm almost current with Chew, and I read all of DMZ last year.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I started a pull at my local comic store just because I got turned onto Saga early. It's really great. I'm also getting the new Prophet and Manhattan Projects. Anybody have any other ongoing "must haves" I should look into? It's surprisingly hard to find good recommendations on the web.

For reference: I've read all of Y the Last Man, Walking Dead, I'm almost current with Chew, and I read all of DMZ last year.

If you like Manhattan Projects, Hickman's East of West is coming out soon. I'm a fan of Change by Ales Kot, but it's just got 1 issue left. The Unwritten is pretty awesome too (Vertigo, so I don't know if that's indie enough for you). I feel like there are glaringly obvious things I'm missing that you might like based on that list. Nowhere Men seems pretty rad so far.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is Orc Stain dead or something? Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times, but I just got into it and it's... it's loving incredible.

I found a solicitation that says the next issue is out in june, but I don't know how reliable that is.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Stokoe took a break from doing Orc Stain to do Godzilla: Half Century War. Orc Stain is going back to it's usual sporadic schedule now though.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I hesitated for a while to make this post, but I received the fourth issue of a great little comic in the mail recently and I think it deserves a little wider recognition, if a short post on a forum is capable of such. I'd like to talk about something awesome. I'd like to talk about COPRA.

http://michelfiffe.com

I was loving around, checking the Internet a while back, when I really should have been working, and came across a sweet little article describing an obscure indie superhero comic. http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/11/13/michel-fiffe-copra-review/ The book styled itself as an homage to John Ostrander era Sucide Squad comics, a comparison that made little impression on me considering that I have thus far unfortunately been able to read any of them. (DC trade paperback program is balls.) I'd always liked that idea's core concept, however, a group of disposable villains/guns for hire/anti-heroes/whatever, engaging in some superhero action with actual, genuine consequences. Actual peril for a group of characters' existence can do wonders for a story's tension level. So, I decided to try this on a whim. It is fantastic.

The art is wonderful, first of all, with each one of the superheroes featuring an incredibly unique color palette all their own. Their costumes/outfits never feel uninspired, as if the creator said, "gently caress it, let's give 'em tights/ a leotard," and even those outfits that come close to that generic style feature some cool flourish of a kind. Each issue is guaranteed at least one tremendously inspired moment of brilliance in terms of panel layout, or composition, or pacing, whether it's one of the best fight scenes I've seen in a comic in years in issue #1, a brilliantly depicted psychic tracking sequence in issue #2, or a dude in a big robot suit beating the poo poo out of some extra-dimensional thing in issue #3. The coloring is really engaging in a way I can only really describe as looking similar to incredibly well-done colored pencils one would use on a high-school project. It looks like nothing else on the comics stands.

The writing is solid; with such a giant cast, each character is given a small amount of screen time but one still manages to understand the gist of each character's basic personality. Quite a lot happens in each issue as well, with at least one fantastic fight sequence in each issue so far.

I highly recommend it, if you're looking for an indie superhero comic to read.

InnercityGriot fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 22, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Guys. Guys I have a confession. I...I didn't really like Happy. Something about it just never totally clicked in my head.
Yeah, I didn't really like it too much either. It was paced terribly, it went over the same beats over and over and over again, and the payoff was fairly nonexistent. The best part was Robertson's artwork, but the story was really nothing special.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

InnercityGriot posted:

I hesitated for a while to make this post, but I received the fourth issue of a great little comic in the mail recently and I think it deserves a little wider recognition, if a short post on a forum is capable of such. I'd like to talk about something awesome. I'd like to talk about COPRA.

http://michelfiffe.com

I was loving around, checking the Internet a while back, when I really should have been working, and came across a sweet little article describing an obscure indie superhero comic. http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/11/13/michel-fiffe-copra-review/ The book styled itself as an homage to John Ostrander era Sucide Squad comics, a comparison that made little impression on me considering that I have thus far unfortunately been able to read any of them. (DC trade paperback program is balls.) I'd always liked that idea's core concept, however, a group of disposable villains/guns for hire/anti-heroes/whatever, engaging in some superhero action with actual, genuine consequences. Actual peril for a group of characters' existence can do wonders for a story's tension level. So, I decided to try this on a whim. It is fantastic.

The art is wonderful, first of all, with each one of the superheroes featuring an incredibly unique color palette all their own. Their costumes/outfits never feel uninspired, as if the creator said, "gently caress it, let's give 'em tights/ a leotard," and even those outfits that come close to that generic style feature some cool flourish of a kind. Each issue is guaranteed at least one tremendously inspired moment of brilliance in terms of panel layout, or composition, or pacing, whether it's one of the best fight scenes I've seen in a comic in years in issue #1, a brilliantly depicted psychic tracking sequence in issue #2, or a dude in a big robot suit beating the poo poo out of some extra-dimensional thing in issue #3. The coloring is really engaging in a way I can only really describe as looking similar to incredibly well-done colored pencils one would use on a high-school project. It looks like nothing else on the comics stands.

The writing is solid; with such a giant cast, each character is given a small amount of screen time but one still manages to understand the gist of each character's basic personality. Quite a lot happens in each issue as well, with at least one fantastic fight sequence in each issue so far.

I highly recommend it, if you're looking for an indie superhero comic to read.

Wow, this looks like a blast. Suicide Squad is one of my favorite DC books of all time, and this looks like a more loving and well-crafted homage than anything DC has published since (including Secret Six).

It also reminds me of the work of David Yurkovich, a great Canadian cartoonist who came out with some quirky, off-kilter, food-related superhero comics: Death By Chocolate, Less Than Heroes, The Broccoli Agenda, Super Heroes of Philadelphia, and more. Top Shelf published a few small TPBs with his Death By Chocolate and Less Than Heroes material, which you can probably pick up cheap. There is more information about Yurkovich's work here, at Sleeping Giant Creations: http://www.sleepinggiantcreations.com/sgc-comics2.html

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
http://www.mtv.com/geek/comic/issue/410/zegas-pt-1.jhtml
http://www.mtv.com/geek/comic/issue/618/zegas-pt-2.jhtml
http://www.mtv.com/geek/comic/issue/652/zegas-pt-3.jhtml

Fiffe also did Zegas which was a webcomic for a bit before transitioning to print. I haven't read the print material but it's probably real good, too.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Did it ever become anything more than Ennis lite?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Waterhaul posted:

Stokoe took a break from doing Orc Stain to do Godzilla: Half Century War. Orc Stain is going back to it's usual sporadic schedule now though.

Godzilla is what turned me on to Stokoe. From there I caught up on Orc Stain and read Sullivan's Sluggers. That guy can draw gorgeous things.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Len posted:

Godzilla is what turned me on to Stokoe. From there I caught up on Orc Stain and read Sullivan's Sluggers. That guy can draw gorgeous things.

Seriously, the only other comics artists that come to mind with such an immaculate attention to detail and are packing so much visual creativity are Kentaro Miura and Don Rosa, and Stokoe is like a mixture of both. His artwork is already loving legendary. I only started Orc Stain this week and it's one of the best comics I've ever read. I really hope they put out an oversized hardcover at some point.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 23, 2013

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Len posted:

I came here just to post about it. Spoilers for Saga 10 Poor lying cat :(
Nooooooo! :(

A friend of mine pointed this out to me. The first page has a shirtless Marko on a prison chain gang who looks straight at the reader and says "Please keep reading". It didn't click that it was Brian and Fiona breaking the fourth wall untill she told me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Does anyone here read Locke and Key? I just got caught up to issue 3 of Omega and I'd love to hear some theories on What the new key does . I was just wondering how many people read this book it's one of my favorites and the series is coming to a end now.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Waterhaul posted:

Did it ever become anything more than Ennis lite?

No, its been over the top darkness and perversion to hammer home a trite message. The art was well done tho.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Seriously, the only other comics artists that come to mind with such an immaculate attention to detail and are packing so much visual creativity are Kentaro Miura and Don Rosa, and Stokoe is like a mixture of both. His artwork is already loving legendary. I only started Orc Stain this week and it's one of the best comics I've ever read. I really hope they put out an oversized hardcover at some point.

You need to read Hard Boiled, my friend. Geof Darrow is the truth.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

StumblyWumbly posted:

No, its been over the top darkness and perversion to hammer home a trite message. The art was well done tho.

That's a shame. Maybe Morrison's next creator owned work will be worth it.

Adam Strange posted:

You need to read Hard Boiled, my friend. Geof Darrow is the truth.

Everybody should read Hard Boiled/any of the Darrow/Miller collaborations. They're all pretty good and Darrow is just amazing at what he does.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Also Sloane Leong has a cool mini comic up, colour version is just 2 bux. It's short and sweet but it's got a great sequence in it.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Waterhaul posted:

That's a shame. Maybe Morrison's next creator owned work will be worth it.

Yeah, I didn't give Happy anything beyond a single issue. I don't think I've read anything Morrison has done that disappointed me as much as that first issue.

SuckerPunched
Dec 20, 2006

Hollis posted:

Does anyone here read Locke and Key? I just got caught up to issue 3 of Omega and I'd love to hear some theories on What the new key does . I was just wondering how many people read this book it's one of my favorites and the series is coming to a end now.

I love this series. I too am intrigued by what the master plan is. There's been obvious Lovecraft themes (well duh, the town they live in is "Lovecraft"), but it actually got elder-godsy with the last volume, so it's got to be building up to something big for a finale.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'm a huge Locke & Key fan, too, but I only read the trades, which are really well done hardcovers.

My wife and I have been talking about doing some cabinet work and general redecorating, and she wants to put a little lock and key motif going around the house.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

SuckerPunched posted:

I love this series. I too am intrigued by what the master plan is. There's been obvious Lovecraft themes (well duh, the town they live in is "Lovecraft"), but it actually got elder-godsy with the last volume, so it's got to be building up to something big for a finale.

I'm a fan. It's the book I used to push my mom into comics. It feels like there's a lot to go and not a lot of issues left.

SuckerPunched
Dec 20, 2006

Karnegal posted:

I'm a fan. It's the book I used to push my mom into comics. It feels like there's a lot to go and not a lot of issues left.

Yeah, I've pushed my copies of the hardcovers into anyone's hands who'd take 'em.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Apparently the first 2 issues of Smith and Stokoe's Sullivan's Sluggers have been posted as a free downloadable promo: http://markandrewsmith.tumblr.com/
I haven't had the opportunity to check it out yet, but will definitely do so once I get home.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
So, Glory #33. Never has there been such a combination of :black101: and :qq:

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in #34 given that Henry, Belesava, and Riley are all dead. And I like the visual at the end where when Glory realizes what she's done, she shrinks down to the smallest we've seen in the series.

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

Madrox posted:

Apparently the first 2 issues of Smith and Stokoe's Sullivan's Sluggers have been posted as a free downloadable promo: http://markandrewsmith.tumblr.com/
I haven't had the opportunity to check it out yet, but will definitely do so once I get home.

As someone who Kickstarted the hardcover, it's totally worth it to read the entire thing. My only gripe is that I'm used to (and love) Stokoe's coloring from Orc Stain and while the colorist on Slugger's does a good job, it just ain't Stokoe.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Darth Nat posted:

So, Glory #33. Never has there been such a combination of :black101: and :qq:

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in #34 given that Henry, Belesava, and Riley are all dead. And I like the visual at the end where when Glory realizes what she's done, she shrinks down to the smallest we've seen in the series.

I knew there was no other way the series could go but it was kind of hoping that Henry might have made it out alive :( .

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So I just read Sex #1. It's a very odd mix of 80's zeitgeist, noir, and erotica. It's also tepid as it feels that the creative team wanted to introduce so much and then remembered "Hey, it's called Sex" and threw in a girl-on-girl scene at the end. Very much a prolouge issue. I'm also suprised as everything from the art aesthtetics to the purpose of the book is very much Watchmen inspired. There's lots of phosphorescent collors and Piotr Kowalski's penciling is very reminescent of Dave Gibbon's spiderstrand ultra-fine style which emphasizes detail quantity over detail quality. And much like Alan Moore, Joe Casey is challenging genre convention to adress a very touchy subject in comics: superhero nature for Moore, sexuality for Casey. Pick it up if you're curious read in the open at your own risk.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I'm going to give the next issue of it a shot but I really wasn't impressed with it, outside the art. For a book that wants to be pushing being "alternative" so much a close up of two girls going down on each other isn't really pushing any boundaries or saying anything. It doesn't even have a trashy appeal so far for a book named Sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, pretty much. The lettering was dope, tho.

I keep picking up Casey comics in the hopes that one of them will thrill me like Wildcats thrilled me but I end up not liking much except the art most of the time.