Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there an app or a tweak that places a button on the screen to scroll down a page length? Useful if I'm scrolling through lots of songs for example. Would mean pressing a button instead of swiping down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Any recommendations for wake on LAN apps? Do any of the free ones handle over the internet? This is for use with Splashtop.

I have consumer internet, so a dynamic IP. Is a service like Dynamic DNS still the best solution?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Any recommendations for wake on LAN apps? Do any of the free ones handle over the internet? This is for use with Splashtop.

I have consumer internet, so a dynamic IP. Is a service like Dynamic DNS still the best solution?

I bought iNet, it works well for my purposes. It has a bunch of other fun toys too, scanning public wifi is always fun (you'd be amazed how many businesses have a network printer available).

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Splashtop 2 has a WOL option, but I've only gotten it to work like once.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

headfake posted:

It can go past the ten minutes if you don't lock the screen (or switch to another app). Start the downloads and then leave it; the screen will dim but not turn off until the downloads are done.

What if you play another podcast while downloading others? Since audio is playing, will that keep Downcast in the background longer than ten minutes?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

NZP posted:

Is there an app or a tweak that places a button on the screen to scroll down a page length? Useful if I'm scrolling through lots of songs for example. Would mean pressing a button instead of swiping down.

You can set up your own custom gestures. I had to use this when I broke my home key on my last phone.
http://www.cultofmac.com/124279/create-and-use-your-own-custom-gestures-in-ios-5-video-how-to/

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Any.do now has recurring reminders. Love that app. :swoon:

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Last Chance posted:

What if you play another podcast while downloading others? Since audio is playing, will that keep Downcast in the background longer than ten minutes?

I think so. I haven't double-checked that recently, though.

Also, even if the 10 minutes expires, if you open it it will continue from where it left off and go for another 10 minutes. So even that kind of thing might get you through what you need, depending on how slow it is.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Is there an RSS app that will sync with Google, have a list style, and open the actual article upon tapping it?

I like Feedly but I want to go to the article straight from list view. I dislike tapping an article just to get a paragraph intro to the article and having to open it again.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kloa posted:

Is there an RSS app that will sync with Google, have a list style, and open the actual article upon tapping it?

I like Feedly but I want to go to the article straight from list view. I dislike tapping an article just to get a paragraph intro to the article and having to open it again.

I use Newsify. There is a free version.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I use Feeddler Pro. It's pricey at 5 bucks but I found it to be the most Google Reader looking app for iOS. Get the whole article and if i want to see the actual page it's just a button press.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Thanks, xzzy. I'll check it out.

Kazy posted:

Splashtop 2 has a WOL option, but I've only gotten it to work like once.

Yep, I noticed after posting. It seems a little flakey.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

kloa posted:

I guess you're subscribed to a number of truncated RSS feeds? That might be the real issue here.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Any.do now has recurring reminders. Love that app. :swoon:

Wow, thank you for informing me of this app. Exactly the thing I need.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Any recommendations for photo gallery type iPad apps? I'm not a fan of the default photo gallery. A friend is recommending Photosocial, but it's iphone only.

Another friend is recommend I check out the Plex app, anyone have any experience with that? I've got a decently-sized Plex library on my server, but I'm curious to know how well it performs before I drop 5 bucks on it.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

So I switched to exclusively using spotify for my music on my iPhone. It has been working great, except one annoying bug. About 50% of the time, I'll open the app, start a song (it begins playing) and then hit the lock button on the top...this causes spotify to crash and the music to stop. Reopening the app and pressing pause/play fixes it and it doesn't seem to happen again until the next time I open up spotify. Again, this happens around 1/2 the time.

Any solutions? Or is this a spotify bug that needs fixing?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Seems like a weird bug. I've never had mine crash like that.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

PaganGoatPants posted:

I've never had mine crash like that.

Me neither. Delete/reinstall, tonic?

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Spotify crashes often for me when I ask it to shuffle sings from a massive playlist I've saved. My fault though, I think. Asking too much of it.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Are there any free jabber/xmpp clients on the app store which actually work?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anderron Shi posted:

Are there any free jabber/xmpp clients on the app store which actually work?

Monal is sufficient. It's not flashy or amazing to use, but it works.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Which app is the best to track the stuff you do with a mountain bike?

dox
Mar 4, 2006

The Dave posted:

Just wanted to come in and say I just did a four finger swipe on my iPad mini and blew my own mind.

How long has this been a feature? I truly cannot believe I just figured this one out yesterday after using multiple iOS devices for years. Hoping it's a iOS6 feature for iPads just for my sanity...

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It was a feature of 5.0 (unless you had an original iPad, which didn't have it officially until 5.0.1), unless I'm mistaken.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Billa posted:

Runkeeper ?

herculesrockefeller
Jun 9, 2006

Billa posted:

I've heard good things about strava

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I use Feeddler Pro. It's pricey at 5 bucks but I found it to be the most Google Reader looking app for tiOS. Get the whole article and if i want to see the actual page it's just a button press.
Plus it lets you configure what to display (RSS content, the web page in an Instapaper mobilized view, or the full web page in a browser view) on a feed-by-feed basis. So any feeds that truncate the article text can be set up to automatically display the full web version instead of having to click through to it.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

herculesrockefeller posted:

I've been using this for runs after someone recommended it here. I'm really impressed by the gps tracking and route mapping. It's really accurate.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

herculesrockefeller posted:

After doing some research I ended up installing it and it looks quite well. I'm going to give it a try (and thanks for the suggestion though).

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

webmeister posted:

Any recommendations for photo gallery iPad apps, as I'm not a fan of the default photo gallery. A friend is recommending Photosocial, but it's iphone only.

Another friend is recommending I check out the Plex app, anyone have any experience with that? I've got a decently-sized Plex library on my server, but I'm curious to know how well it performs before I drop 5 bucks on it.

Anyone have any opinions on either of these?

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

xzzy posted:

Monal is sufficient. It's not flashy or amazing to use, but it works.

I don't know, Monal seems like it doesn't work. I can join chat conferences, but I don't see any messages showing up. I'm getting server-wide broadcasts, and I know I set everything up correctly.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Does Music.app have a habit of resetting your playlists, or is it just me? If I stop the music and do anything else, the next time I open the app it goes back to the beginning and re-plays songs in the same order. I mainly notice it if I shuffle a playlist in the car and make a few stops; I have to re-shuffle every time I resume.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

webmeister posted:

Anyone have any opinions on either of these?
Plex works really well and was completely worth the cost, especially because it's a universal app. It does help that I've got an AppleTV too for Airplay from iOS Plex -> TV, but I think it'd be worth it even without it if you watch stuff on your phone/pad.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Minidust posted:

Does Music.app have a habit of resetting your playlists, or is it just me? If I stop the music and do anything else, the next time I open the app it goes back to the beginning and re-plays songs in the same order. I mainly notice it if I shuffle a playlist in the car and make a few stops; I have to re-shuffle every time I resume.

It's been doing this since 6.0 and its annoying as all gently caress.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's been doing this since 6.0 and its annoying as all gently caress.

Yeah, this annoys the poo poo out of me as well. I listen to a lot of live DJ sets which are usually 2+ hours long, and if the music app is closed for more than a couple of hours it just goes back to 0:00 when you resume.

wyoak posted:

Plex works really well and was completely worth the cost, especially because it's a universal app. It does help that I've got an AppleTV too for Airplay from iOS Plex -> TV, but I think it'd be worth it even without it if you watch stuff on your phone/pad.

Thanks!

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
What was the name of that email app that requires you to wait in line to download it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

supersteve posted:

What was the name of that email app that requires you to wait in line to download it?

Mailbox. It's magical*

*still in line.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

webmeister posted:

Yeah, this annoys the poo poo out of me as well. I listen to a lot of live DJ sets which are usually 2+ hours long, and if the music app is closed for more than a couple of hours it just goes back to 0:00 when you resume.

You can set "Remember playback position" in iTunes.

I get the issue where it won't remember what playlist I'm playing after a while, and if I press the play button on the headphones it'll start playing something from a library, but if I go back to the podcast I was listening to then it'll still remember the right position.

Pretty sure it only started doing it since 6.1.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Minidust posted:

Huh, I thought this was something funky with my jailbreak. Reassuring to hear others have this problem too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
Mailbox is too centered around the idea of archiving all your email for me. I'm not an Inbox Zero person. Find it much more useful to have all my recent messages available from the Inbox screen. Other than that it seems like a slick app.

• Locked thread