Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Pile of Kittens posted:

You missed the best part..

I guess most English people have their sense of humor surgically removed at a young age.

I'm Irish, but that's not fair. The English are a great bunch of lads (unless they're Tories) but no prosecutor anywhere has a sense of humour, least of all the beloved Crown Prosecution Service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
We are planning summer litters right now :neckbeard: maybe two this year!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

notsowelp posted:

We are planning summer litters right now :neckbeard: maybe two this year!

:catstare:

Bring puppies to lancashire tia

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

a life less posted:

It's not that her dog's diet is lacking veggies. It's that the dog's diet is lacking anything but poultry muscle meat. If the dog was eating whole chickens it'd probably be better off.

I was attempting to open up the conversation to the fact that only chicken meat is bad news.

Another, more blunt, coworker joined and told her she was mistreating her dog feeding it only chicken. Then it came out that her vet is aware of the raw meat and has told her it's really bad for the dog but she says she's going to keep feeding it to him anyway until "a really expensive vet bill caused by his diet convinces me otherwise".

I'm done. There's no convincing her. I just hope her dog doesn't die as a result.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Awww, that's adorable! :3:

"Everything is terrible. Why do you torture me like this?:qq:"

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

Awww, that's adorable! :3:

"Everything is terrible. Why do you torture me like this?:qq:"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Moses: apparently good for picking up chicks. :pervert:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I've been petsitting for my friends who have two pits, a greyhound, and two cats.

The pits have taught me that I find needy, snuggly dogs incredibly obnoxious. :stare: I'm kind of like a life less in that I just don't really like having them in my space inhibiting my movement and climbing all over my laptop and trying to obsessively sniff/lick my face. I feel like a dick getting irritated with them just for being all "I WANT TO LOVE YOU" but hnnngh. The bigger pit is a pain in the rear end when sleeping because he hogs the bed so drat badly and jabs his paws into me, and he twitches a lot when he dreams. I am a light sleeper, I have not had a good night's sleep all week. I should just make him sleep on his dog bed but he makes THE SADDEST FACE at me and I can't say no. :saddowns:

I love Shadow because, while he's very bonded to me and would be seriously bummed without me, he doesn't feel the need to constantly be all up on me. He's basically a more expressive, slightly more energetic version of their greyhound (their personalities/quirks are incredibly similar). So the greyhound is my favorite. :colbert:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh dear, Moses has an adorable growth on his head and he doesn't look pleased with it. :3:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Skizzles posted:

The pits have taught me that I find needy, snuggly dogs incredibly obnoxious. :stare: I'm kind of like a life less in that I just don't really like having them in my space inhibiting my movement and climbing all over my laptop and trying to obsessively sniff/lick my face. I feel like a dick getting irritated with them just for being all "I WANT TO LOVE YOU" but hnnngh. The bigger pit is a pain in the rear end when sleeping because he hogs the bed so drat badly and jabs his paws into me, and he twitches a lot when he dreams. I am a light sleeper, I have not had a good night's sleep all week. I should just make him sleep on his dog bed but he makes THE SADDEST FACE at me and I can't say no. :saddowns:

Haha, this is so accurate. Basically, you just have to learn that you can tell them to gently caress off no matter how needy they're being, and that eliminates a lot of the drama. They forgive you even though they act like you're murdering them at the time, and if you're never "mean" to them you'll pretty much go crazy from the neediness. They get on even *my* nerves, but after all this time I'm so used to them that "normal" dogs get me all butthurt because they're not obsessing over me. :saddowns:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Yeah Quaffle spends half the day trying to climb into my lap and the other half laying a few feet away staring at me. I just shove him out of the way if he gets too pushy. But then if he goes into another room and does his own thing I get worried that he doesn't love me anymore. :saddowns:

He also hogs the bed and drapes himself over my legs and twitches while he's sleeping. When it gets bad enough I kick at him until he moves. Maybe I should be putting this in the confessions thread? Whatever, he sleeps half the day so I don't feel sorry for disturbing his sleep (except I do).

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

No they're just trying to eat you because pitbulls are monsterrrsss :byodame:

I can't imagine how big of a pain in the rear end a clingy pit would be. It's annoying enough when Feldman tries to climb on me, and he's only 16lbs!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jet still isn't eating anything I give him, not even Greenies treats. I put the dry food he was eating at the shelter out as well as some canned tuna, and he licked the latter a little bit but didn't really eat it. I know he's adjusting, but I seriously haven't seen him eat for over a day. Maybe I've missed him eating out of the bowl, but the poor guy must be hungry. :( Why won't you eat the fooooood

On the other hand, 90% of what he does is rub against my legs, arms, and hands, so it's hard to stay mad at/worried about him. :3: Dawwwe catte

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cut down on fur static without running a humidifier 24/7? Whenever the weather takes a turn for the dry Sadie gets to where she will really zap me when I'm petting her. For example today was great and I opened up the windows (with screens of course) but the humidity was 12%! She was super static cat.

On the one hand it makes her belly fur absolutely irrisitably fluffy:

But I can figure out where she is by hearing her crackle occasionally as she walks or moves which can't be comfy for her. You know, as if finding her was ever a hard thing.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I know that moisturizing hair will cut down on its static, because the oil helps with the magic electrical gremlins something something :science: so maybe using lanolin or some other oil will help? She'd probably just lick it right out, though. Someone suggested dryer sheets and it started a stupid argument about how toxic is "toxic" and are dryer sheets like "toxic" toxic, so while you could try that, it could be a terrible idea.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
This is Thaddius:

He has multiple uses for his scratching post:

But this is what he normally does:

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
So at the moment we have a multi-millionaire businessman in our city mistaking wealth for importance, and he has been dominating headlines by hiring out halls to basically preach poorly educated bullshit about how terrible the SPCA is and how cats are native-bird-killing death machines. I don't deny that cats catch birds, but the way he's talking every single cat survives exclusively off a native diet and catch fifteen birds per day. Quite aside from the fact that he's choosing to ignore the significantly higher impact of other introduced predators in the area (possums, I'm looking at you), he is also firing wild pot shots at the SPCA, claiming their TNR programme is actually "encouraging cats to breed even more" (???), somehow providing these wild deathmachines with top notch medical care 24/7 so they can continue their reign of terror far beyond the lifespan of a normal wild cat and is somehow, magically, adding to their numbers. He has also non-ironically made Wanted posters of the local SPCA board members, basically calling them crazed killers of birds. In a nutshell, he's calling for a ban of cats in an entire suburb, for everyone to cover their cats in bells and keep them inside 24/7, and for no one to ever buy a cat ever again. He is graciously allowing those with cats to live our their natural lives, so we don't have to euthanise existing pets.

Aside from the sheer idiocy of this guy, I've been laughing because far from being a ruthless killer of birds, Hugo can't even catch a toy mouse without overshooting by at least a foot. The only living thing he has ever caught is a bumblebee, which ended as you'd expect. But today, TODAY, I heard the "mrr! mrr! mrr!" of a successful kill and opened the door to find...............

........Hugo bleating excitedly around the bread crust he had FEARLESSLY hunted from somewhere, prancing and dancing around like he'd just felled the mightiest creature in all the lands. He then cheerily bodyslammed it and rolled around until the crumbs were all through his fur.

Killer of All The Things, that's my Hugo :bravo:

For the record - my cats are collared, chipped, are only allowed outside when we are at home and are kept inside at night. The window for them to catch anything is minuscule.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

The guy sounds like a nut.

Your cat has the cutest toes :3:

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Tamarillo posted:

........Hugo bleating excitedly around the bread crust he had FEARLESSLY hunted from somewhere, prancing and dancing around like he'd just felled the mightiest creature in all the lands. He then cheerily bodyslammed it and rolled around until the crumbs were all through his fur.

For the record - my cats are collared, chipped, are only allowed outside when we are at home and are kept inside at night. The window for them to catch anything is minuscule.

Bread crusts are vicious things, second only to the Drop Bear in annual fatalities. You're lucky to have such a brave guard catte!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Pile of Kittens posted:

I know that moisturizing hair will cut down on its static, because the oil helps with the magic electrical gremlins something something :science: so maybe using lanolin or some other oil will help? She'd probably just lick it right out, though. Someone suggested dryer sheets and it started a stupid argument about how toxic is "toxic" and are dryer sheets like "toxic" toxic, so while you could try that, it could be a terrible idea.

As someone who participated in the argument mentioned above I don't want to have to revisit it (but it wasn't stupid, its important that people not think really insane things about innocuous everyday items).

Another thing you could try is getting a cheap cool mist humidifier. They should reduce static.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Tamarillo posted:

I used to have a dog, a lab mix, named Annie. She was a wild hunter like your cat as well. She would raid the garbage, and if she got loose, would raid the trash of everyone on the street.

We had baby bunnies in our yard one year. We saw Annie rushing towards us with something small and fuzzy in her mouth. Our hearts dropped thinking "she got one". She eagerly looked up at us and dropped her prize: a cinnamon donut she pilfered from somewhere. Good girl!

Her best "hunt" though was some kind of...ugh, butchers cut of meat she found from somewhere. She found it and decided to bring it in the house and eat it in my parent's bed. My mother found it and screamed. It was like the Godfather. We still don't know what the hell that meat/bone combo thing was.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tamarillo posted:

So at the moment we have a multi-millionaire businessman in our city mistaking wealth for importance, and he has been dominating headlines by hiring out halls to basically preach poorly educated bullshit about how terrible the SPCA is and how cats are native-bird-killing death machines. I don't deny that cats catch birds, but the way he's talking every single cat survives exclusively off a native diet and catch fifteen birds per day. Quite aside from the fact that he's choosing to ignore the significantly higher impact of other introduced predators in the area (possums, I'm looking at you), he is also firing wild pot shots at the SPCA, claiming their TNR programme is actually "encouraging cats to breed even more" (???), somehow providing these wild deathmachines with top notch medical care 24/7 so they can continue their reign of terror far beyond the lifespan of a normal wild cat and is somehow, magically, adding to their numbers. He has also non-ironically made Wanted posters of the local SPCA board members, basically calling them crazed killers of birds. In a nutshell, he's calling for a ban of cats in an entire suburb, for everyone to cover their cats in bells and keep them inside 24/7, and for no one to ever buy a cat ever again. He is graciously allowing those with cats to live our their natural lives, so we don't have to euthanise existing pets.

Aside from the sheer idiocy of this guy, I've been laughing because far from being a ruthless killer of birds, Hugo can't even catch a toy mouse without overshooting by at least a foot. The only living thing he has ever caught is a bumblebee, which ended as you'd expect. But today, TODAY, I heard the "mrr! mrr! mrr!" of a successful kill and opened the door to find...............

Dude has it right that cats kill a shitload of native small wildlife when left outside. There's nothing wrong with an outdoor cat ban in my opinion (others will disagree though and I'm happy to agree to disagree) and every cat I've ever had had a bell on it's collar just in case it got out without a leash on. Maybe your cat doesn't kill a bunch of native wildlife, but there's been a couple studies done in the past few years (one even had a gbs thread, I believe, fairly recently) that say cats that go outdoors have a serious impact on the local native birds and other wildlife. It doesn't really matter how minuscule the time window is or how large it is, guy just doesn't want local populations impacted by pet owners letting their cats run around loose. Largely, he's not even talking about you or your cats.

Other than that he's nuts though. Going after the SPCA for it is ridiculous. But calling for a ban on pet cats is just retarded regardless of how he feels. The guy's probably crazy passionate about bird watching or some other poo poo normal people without copious amounts of money don't have time to do long term (unless that's your job) and he doesn't want to see them dead or something. Who knows. But as crazy as he is, he's not entirely wrong about all of it.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

That reminds me, a friend of mine got a letter from the SPCA in her area (in Virginia) talking about how all pet birds except for like parakeets and finches are obviously traumatized and abused and need to be in a sanctuary. My friend owns a conure and a quaker parrot. Apparently it was something like humans could never provide the interaction they need and that every single one of them pluck out their feathers and are basically prisoners. :psyduck: When did the SPCA become PETA?

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010
"Meet Big Splash, the world’s most expensive dog! The 11-month-old Red Tibetan Mastiff named Big Splash was purchased by a coal baron in northern China for $1.5 million. The ancient breed from central Asia has recently become a status symbol, like sports cars and rare jewelry, among the Chinese elite. The dog’s breeder says he can now pay his staff for raising what he calls “the perfect specimen.”

The Tibetan Mastiff is an ancient breed and type of domestic dog originating with nomadic cultures of Central Asia." From Amazing Earth online magazine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Tamarillo posted:

So at the moment we have a multi-millionaire businessman claiming their TNR programme is actually "encouraging cats to breed even more" (???), somehow providing these wild deathmachines with top notch medical care 24/7 so they can continue their reign of terror far beyond the lifespan of a normal wild cat and is somehow, magically, adding to their numbers.

Ha, ha! Love this post and love Hugo. I have a friend who was complaining about a neighbor cat hanging out by his bird feeder and killing birds, and I pointed out that it was his fault for luring the poor birds to their death with his bird feeder. He has cats too, but they are indoor only as are my guys.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Amberlyn posted:

"Meet Big Splash, the world’s most expensive dog! The 11-month-old Red Tibetan Mastiff named Big Splash was purchased by a coal baron in northern China for $1.5 million. The ancient breed from central Asia has recently become a status symbol, like sports cars and rare jewelry, among the Chinese elite. The dog’s breeder says he can now pay his staff for raising what he calls “the perfect specimen.”

The Tibetan Mastiff is an ancient breed and type of domestic dog originating with nomadic cultures of Central Asia." From Amazing Earth online magazine.

Gotta Get a Gund!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

For 1.5mill my dog had better poo poo pure drat gold.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

You guys know that I post cat videos right? Why, here is one now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxLaDIN95Pc

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Pew! Pew! posted:

That reminds me, a friend of mine got a letter from the SPCA in her area (in Virginia) talking about how all pet birds except for like parakeets and finches are obviously traumatized and abused and need to be in a sanctuary. My friend owns a conure and a quaker parrot. Apparently it was something like humans could never provide the interaction they need and that every single one of them pluck out their feathers and are basically prisoners. :psyduck: When did the SPCA become PETA?

I randomly read the bird megathread, and I recall yeah this is essentially the consensus there too. They love their birds but agree they shouldn't be available to buy. A lot of those kinds of birds end up in sanctuaries their entire lives because of poor decision making.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

El Gar posted:

You guys know that I post cat videos right? Why, here is one now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxLaDIN95Pc

Trophy has no reactions. Trophy has no concerns.

Trophy has no soul.

:catstare:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Kerfuffle posted:

I randomly read the bird megathread, and I recall yeah this is essentially the consensus there too. They love their birds but agree they shouldn't be available to buy. A lot of those kinds of birds end up in sanctuaries their entire lives because of poor decision making.

Although I agree with it to some extent (especially those poor petco/petsmart birds) there are responsible owners out there, and claiming that every bird ever is obviously mistreated is a little offensive. There are some birds that I think should not be available but stuff like conures apparently being "only happy around other birds" (quoting the pamphlet) is generalizing hard.
If they had worded it like "don't buy parrots and then stuff them into cages and never interact with them" or "don't buy these certain species" then I'd probably be okay with it, but that pamphlet seemed to be generalizing every bird owner as an abuser.

I do sincerely hope that some birds become illegal completely to own, like huge intelligent parrots (such as Hyacinth Macaws or any Macaws tbh), but saying all cockatiels and conures are mistreated seems kind of strange coming from the SPCA.
There are definitely people who shouldn't own birds though, and those people shouldn't be able to have them so readily available, I do agree with that.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Well, arguably there's a huge difference between a domesticated animal vs a captive one. Birds can make lovely pets, but there are some pretty serious responsibilities an owner takes on when purchasing/adopting one - everything from finches to budgies to conures and more.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Holy crap do I need to vent at you guys today. I have a two fold annoyance that's making my head want to explode, part client, part boss.

So we have this client that I've talked about before that's having issues with one of her dogs. She has 4 that I know of, a big fuzzy Australian shepherd mix that doesn't give anyone an ounce of trouble, a "cockapoo", a coton de tulear, and a full Australian shepherd (this dog being the last one they'd added to the mix). They've had this last dog for over 4 years now (at least), but he's where the problems have cropped up. See, he's a typical Aussie- very handler sensitive, very energetic, and neurotic because he doesn't know where the hell he stands in life, between the chaos of the family alone, let alone having 3 other dogs in the house (among other pets, I think). Early on their owner got hooked up with the wrong trainer, though, and has historically used nothing but corrections and pinch collars to solve problems. That Aussie is SO sensitive, though, that it's done nothing but make him crazier and make his issues worse. The latest problem is him starting to get aggressive with the little coton whenever things get nuts in the house.

The owner knows there's an issue, and she understands that it's something she's projecting that's causing the problems. However, she's also one of those people that constantly talks about how, she's "the boss in the house, NOT the dogs!" and wanting to "take control" of the situation, etc. We THOUGHT she was changing some of her tactics, because she was talking about seeing a new trainer that was coming to her house, and we saw her actually rewarding her dog with treats at one of her visits. But then she comes in today almost in tears talking about how another fight broke out, and that the coton girl was injured, and that she's afraid that for all her work she's going to have to end up giving up her dog. I really felt bad for her knowing what she's gone through, until she said to me, "Yeah, I really can't wait for her neck to heal up because she's been so snotty at home, and I need to be able to jerk her leash!"
:stare: :argh: :suicide:
Are you kidding me? Knowing it's all going to fall on deaf ears, I don't say jack and just bring her dogs in the back while she keeps chatting with my boss. Later on, my boss is saying how she feels sorry for the lady, and I agree with her, but say I can't listen to her talk about it anymore. She asks why, and as I start talking about the corrections, she cuts me off and tells me I need to learn to have more patience, blah blah blah. OH YEAH! You buy in to all that loving Cesar Milan poo poo, too! OH! AND you've had the same sort of problems with your own dogs that all that dominance bullshit didn't fix! AND you've got the hots for this lady! I see how it works...

I can let an awful lot roll off my back, but what gets me the worst about the whole situation is my boss's loving hypocrisy. She tells me *I* need to learn patience when she spent the ENTIRE morning bitching about this and that with other clients that pissed her off. It's just that she LIKES this lady, so god forbid anyone have a problem with her! She's constantly losing her poo poo all day long, and I sit and suck it up, but when I complain about ONE thing WHILE THERE ARE NO CLIENTS AROUND, she tells me I need to learn patience if I'm going to get in to training. YEAH because you've seen me act like that with someone in front of me, right? Oh, wait, no, THAT'S YOU.

AAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:sigh: PI, I'm so glad you're here, I have no other outlet for all this bullshit. :(

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
I just posted this in the food thread, but thought I'd offer it up for more ~general debate~ - I don't know how much of this has made it to America, but right now there is a ~scandal~ in the UK/Europe about 'beef' products intended for humans containing horse meat. Things like ready-meal lasagnes, bologneses, burgers and things like that - and some products have actually been found to be 100% horse meat. What I've taken away from all of this is i) apparently horse is delicious! and ii) you can't trust ingredient lists for poo poo. If this is what the situation is like with human-intended products, I imagine it's much 'worse' in dog and cat foods - basically I'm going to be reeeally skeptical of named meats in ingredient lists from now on and assume that everything in my dogs' food is donkey ._. . I don't know how others feel about this - would it bother you if you found there was e.g. horse in your dogs kibble?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Depends on the horse. Like, was it kind of a dick in its former life? If so, chow down, Ooka.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I personally dgaf about eating horse, but I DO care about mislabeling and basically being lied to. My dogs can at horse all day for all I care, but the whole point of LABELING FOOD is kind of defeated if I can stick a "beef" label on whatever the gently caress animal I want.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Yeah, I wouldn't care. I don't understand why horses are all romanticized but cows and chickens are just food. :shrug: And what Super said.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

notsowelp posted:

would it bother you if you found there was e.g. horse in your dogs kibble?

If I was specifically buying it based on its claimed ingredients, drat straight it would. Similar issue: It was hard enough finding poultry-free food back when Stoff was alive, and that was with companies that were polite enough to be honest that their "rabbit" wet food was mostly poultry.

I have no moral qualms with feeding horse meat to animals (or even humans), but if it's going to be in your product, it should be on your label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Superconsndar posted:

My dogs can at horse all day for all I care, but the whole point of LABELING FOOD is kind of defeated if I can stick a "beef" label on whatever the gently caress animal I want.

Exactly this. :)

• Locked thread