Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I'm so glad I could find the safe Kidz Bop version of Gangnam style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjcKUTh4yTg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Apparently looking at romanized lyrics was just too hard, so they just played it by ear.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Crazy racist story.

drat. Well, being white and having experience as a technical writer, that story makes me more confident about applying. Thanks for the advice, all.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

TheBalor posted:

drat. Well, being white and having experience as a technical writer, that story makes me more confident about applying. Thanks for the advice, all.

The technical writer bit, probably won't help you at all. In all the interviews I've had they haven't given a drat about me being a copy editor or training staff writers. Anything at that level is so far beyond any students you could ever hope to have. Do you have experience teaching someone to capitalize the beginning letter of a sentence? Now the being white part is pretty good. That works for you.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

The Bible posted:

Edit: Found this video on his facebook page. This is the manager guy.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDEzNDcyMDky.html?f=17290813

Not sure how any native English speaker can translate 宅男 to "homeboy." Homebody is more accurate but it really means "nerd shut-in."

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
So, I got the idea I wanted to learn a bit of Korean. I don't have a really good reason for this, and it won't be a real focus or anything, it'd mostly be something to take my mind off school. That said, going completely free-form and trying to learn by spelling your way through KBS articles or something would be nothing but an exercise in frustration, so I was wondering if any of you could recommend some program to get one started? Preferably something that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars. Bonus points for phone apps! (But I'm on a windows phone, so I'm not too hopeful)

Thanks! I hope this was the most appropriate thread to post this. Apologies if it isn't Korean enough.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Bobfly posted:

So, I got the idea I wanted to learn a bit of Korean. I don't have a really good reason for this, and it won't be a real focus or anything, it'd mostly be something to take my mind off school. That said, going completely free-form and trying to learn by spelling your way through KBS articles or something would be nothing but an exercise in frustration, so I was wondering if any of you could recommend some program to get one started? Preferably something that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars. Bonus points for phone apps! (But I'm on a windows phone, so I'm not too hopeful)

Thanks! I hope this was the most appropriate thread to post this. Apologies if it isn't Korean enough.

Try this, it's free:

http://korean.sogang.ac.kr/

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Toussaint Louverture posted:

My old hagwon gave Themata poo poo at least partly because she wasn't white.

Here's the kicker though, my old hagwon had teachers do the interviews for new hires. Around my 11th month they had me interview 4 candidates for a job. This is already a terrible decision because the only thing relevant to a hagwon that I am utterly, woefully abysmal at it is interviews and giving them is even worse than having one. That said, there were four candidates:

A: TESOL, no work experience teaching or otherwise, no travel, sounded high strung.

B: No TESOL, no relevant work experience, Church experience, rampant typos in resume, OK interview.

C: In class TESOL, coaching, clerical experience, extensive travel, good interview.

D: Took another job.

So naturally I recommend C. However, she's a black South African. My director says they can't hire her because she's black. They ask me to recommend someone else. Naturally I said no. There were a tense couple of days and then they hired her. I hope she's still doing alright over there. If they weren't already two foreigners down I probably would have been given some poo poo.

So yeah, if you aren't white you really are at a serious disadvantage, at least for hagwons and after-schools.

Korea Megathread V: I'm black. Why am I black.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Bobfly posted:

Talk to Me in Korean is really good, people tend to prefer it over Rosetta Stone's courses. It's free and the program EPIK recommends to all its new comers. You can buy text books from them if that helps you, but the audio and PDFs are enough I think. They do a good job of explaining grammar and pronunciation nuance as they go, and the if the format of the lessons can be a little cheesy, it's at least also very easy to remember.

https://www.talktomeinkorean.com

I use memrise's comprehensive korean course to build vocabulary. It's also free.

https://www.memrise.com

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 21, 2013

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Anyone know about getting extra pages for US passports in Seoul? If I go in person, will they do it on the spot? Or do I have to wait a week?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
I don't know about extra pages, but going in person is no faster than using a courier service.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Edit: never mind. Got my answers, no longer panicking.

big boi fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 21, 2013

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Last topic I promised a guide to making makgeolli and I still haven't posted it. But instead I have something better: http://www.mistermakgeolli.com/

It's all scientific and poo poo. Enjoy.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
So I'm gonna be in the area of the Busan rock festival this year and I was wondering if anyone knew what it was like? I've looked up a couple of bands from the event's website and they seem mostly geared toward the hardcore/hard rock crowd. Are the other bands that I can't really find immediate information also from this vein?

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

So I'm gonna be in the area of the Busan rock festival this year and I was wondering if anyone knew what it was like? I've looked up a couple of bands from the event's website and they seem mostly geared toward the hardcore/hard rock crowd. Are the other bands that I can't really find immediate information also from this vein?

Isn't that half a year away? I can't find any information on this year's festival but if you can post whatever information you found I could probably help you out.

Uber-Cake
Aug 31, 2001

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Line up for this fest probably won't be posted until maybe May. It's kind of a small fest.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

Uber-Cake posted:

Line up for this fest probably won't be posted until maybe May. It's kind of a small fest.

But it's free. And if last year's lineup is any indication, there are hardcore and metal bands, but there are lots of other genres too.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Jeoh posted:

Last topic I promised a guide to making makgeolli and I still haven't posted it. But instead I have something better: http://www.mistermakgeolli.com/

It's all scientific and poo poo. Enjoy.

Very nice. Ill give this a look over. When the weather gets better I plan on trying to make some again. I had a talk with a guy who just got his PhD in yeast as it pertains to brewing, so he gave me some pointers on how to improve.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Have you guys had baekseju? Can I buy it at homeplus? How much is it?

E: This stuff http://askakorean.blogspot.kr/2011/08/baekseju-100-year-wine.html

big boi fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 22, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Holy poo poo man, what's up with that custom title?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

big boi posted:

Have you guys had baekseju? Can I buy it at homeplus? How much is it?

E: This stuff http://askakorean.blogspot.kr/2011/08/baekseju-100-year-wine.html

You can get it pretty much anywhere. Even convenience stores. It's only a bit more expensive than soju. Sorta sweet.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

It was sorta disappointing last year. Hot as gently caress and most of the bands were sorta meh. They had sprinklers to cool off the crowd though, and Lipton was giving out free tea. No Brain was fun and the crowd really liked them, but most of the bands were just lackluster. Still a fun experience overall, if you like live music.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Hey y'all, any of you have experience with aquaria in Korea. I just lucked into a 10 gallon tank and I plan on rescuing a beta from the fishwits cups pet stores love so much. I'm a pretty experienced aquarist but I expect the language barrier might be an issue. anyone know where to get pure, 100% ammonia, the various testing kits you need, a good fish-stocker, etc. ?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Let me know how much air pumps are when you find them, I need one if I'm going to build my hydroponic herb window garden.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Is it wrong that I want to get like 20 Betas and make fish Thunderdome?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm going to build my hydroponic herb :2bong: window garden.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Maxsmart posted:

Is it wrong that I want to get like 20 Betas and make fish Thunderdome?

Yes it is.

The last one standing would either die within 2 minutes from stress or after a couple of weeks of lingering fin and fungal infections.
VVVV

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 22, 2013

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I think that the last one "standing" would actually be an alpha

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks for the Seokbulsa recommendation. We went up today, and it was awesome. We drove up instead of walking, though.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
Leave it to the Korean version of craigslist to show me my first Korean speed freak. Some things are the same everywhere. But hey, cheap refrigerator.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
For anyone stressing on FBI checks, I have a 100% success rate (2/2!) for just buying a Homeplus ink pad and having a friend assist me for 5 minutes in smashing my fingers onto paper. It'll take some practice and you'll make 2-3 extra copies, but I still think it's less of a hassle than having to bus my rear end 45 minutes to a police station and fumble with a language I don't really understand.

D10 talks:

So in the end, I never had to switch to a D10 for immigration. However, I did gain a wealth of information about the whole process of getting laid off or quitting.

For starters, you have 30 days to get to immigration and report the changes to your working status. During this time though, within 2 weeks of your last day, your employer need to inform immigration that you longer work there. My school never reported me and now they're getting fined.

When you report to immigration for the D10, you will need a letter of release, first and foremost. Outside of that, you'll need a copy of your passport, ARC, and I believe an address. Oh, and w30,000 for processing.

Also, when you're at immigration, be sure to request extra copies of your documents they have on file. Cheongju didn't charge me for these and virtually every interview I went to asked to view them.

Since my school never reported me, regardless of me having my letter of release, I didn't have to switch visas. This is my rationalization for my case, mind you. Since Immigration recognized me as being at one place during my sojourn, there was no reason to bother with any extra paperwork. Since they didn't have a problem with it, then neither did the Immigration Help line.

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.
Okay, input / advice needed. I am going to get a new phone and I am sticking with SK so that I don't have to change my phone number. The phones from which I am choosing are:

Vega S5 (4G)
Galaxy SIIHD (4G)
iPhone 5 (4G)
Galaxy S3 (3G)

Tell me your thoughts, please.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
That's basically like asking if you should have pizza or a sandwich for lunch. What do you want from your phone?

Also, both the S3 and iPhone are sold unlocked these days in Korea, so there isn't really any special localized information. All the phone comparisons published everywhere on the internet are now equally valid here.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Whenever I make flashcards I'm always amazed how awful some of the clipart on the internet is.

Search was "clipart say"

These are within the first 10 or so results. Dear god, they look worse than some of examples of the SA "Draw poo poo badly intentionally" meme.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They're supposed to come out with the Galaxy S4 pretty soon if you can wait.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I heard next month.

I still haven't gotten a straight answer on how much an iPhone 5 costs in Korea. I heard there are discounts because of lovely sales but no one can tell me how much, and no one seems to get that I just wanna buy the drat phone up front, not pay for it monthly.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

BrainDance posted:

I heard next month.

I still haven't gotten a straight answer on how much an iPhone 5 costs in Korea. I heard there are discounts because of lovely sales but no one can tell me how much, and no one seems to get that I just wanna buy the drat phone up front, not pay for it monthly.

No KT/SK store or affiliate will sell it to you unlocked, without a contract. The only way is online via Apple Korea (or craigslist, etc.).

Once you get it though, they have no problems giving you a monthly contract for it. I just did this myself.

slacjs
Feb 27, 2009

gingersmurf posted:

Okay, input / advice needed. I am going to get a new phone and I am sticking with SK so that I don't have to change my phone number. The phones from which I am choosing are:

Vega S5 (4G)
Galaxy SIIHD (4G)
iPhone 5 (4G)
Galaxy S3 (3G)

Tell me your thoughts, please.
They're all incredibly similar except I would never recommend an iphone. Get whatever suits your price.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

iPhone, duh. Only nerds and poors use Android.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012
Will this country ever run out of abandoned amusement parks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milksteak
Dec 1, 2002
I want to host a very casual poker game with 10000 won buyins and rebuys allowed probably once every 2 weeks. Normal no limit holdem cash game rules. I think 5-8 people should be good. I live <10 minutes from Noksapyeong station in Kyongnidan near Magpie, Craftworks etc. Ideal time would be a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday sometime between 7pm-11.

PM me if you're interested on kakao (ben) or SA.

• Locked thread