Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, everything I can think of is basically like that or The Sixth Sense, where they make a big show of dropping all of these clues. Or the premise of Clue, which sets up a bunch of ambiguous clues then plays the board game gag of having the multiple choice ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This actually is kind of a good question - what movies are you thinking of? I'm blanking on movies that are actually like, audience participation riddles. Even a lot that purport to be are just "gotcha!" bullshit like Angel Heart. The Usual Suspects, maybe?

Tinker Tailor?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Fermat's Room is pretty solvable if you're paying enough attention. There's a lot of misdirection, but it tells you all you need to know.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Craig Spradlin posted:

Because canon. Because the movie isn't good until it's been solved and every piece accounted for. Because some people (not necessarily Diogenes Ex - to be fair, they may not be engaged in this type of criticism) just cannot be happy with a movie unless they've "figured it out", solved it like it's some kind of puzzle.

No, I mean why would a The Thing not realize it was drinking gasoline? When The Things absorb people they absorb all their human knowledge. Why would they absorb every bit of human knowledge except "don't drink gasoline"?

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

No, I mean why would a The Thing not realize it was drinking gasoline? When The Things absorb people they absorb all their human knowledge. Why would they absorb every bit of human knowledge except "don't drink gasoline"?

...oh.

Maybe they think it's just really lovely whiskey.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks a lot, thread. Now I have to watch The Thing and pick it apart for clues.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It can also be something much less convoluted, like how Pan's Labyrinth sets up an apparently ambiguous ending, but actually confirms that the fantasy is real and Ofelia lives in a small but significant scene -- and is thematically stronger for doing so, because "maybe hope and faith and storytelling can save us from the horror of reality -- YOU DECIDE!" is just wishy-washy nonsense compared to affirming that it can.

What scene was that? I never got that from the film literally just in a thematic sense

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It can also be something much less convoluted, like how Pan's Labyrinth sets up an apparently ambiguous ending, but actually confirms that the fantasy is real and Ofelia lives in a small but significant scene -- and is thematically stronger for doing so, because "maybe hope and faith and storytelling can save us from the horror of reality -- YOU DECIDE!" is just wishy-washy nonsense compared to affirming that it can.

It's been years since I've seen it and I won't be able to rewatch anytime soon, refresh my memory? I remember being convinced that Ofelia's fantasy was true but I don't recall a specific scene that pushed me that way.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's confirmed when the nanny freaks out at the real, screaming Mandragora that Ofelia brought back to the house.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Undead Unicorn posted:

What scene was that? I never got that from the film literally just in a thematic sense

Ofelia is locked in a room with a guard outside the door and escapes using the magic chalk. I haven't seen the movie in years myself, but if I'm not misremembering they even have the guard peek into the room afterwards and look totally confused that she's not there any more. So either that entire scene including the mundane bits is totally false and something else really happened, or she magic'd her way out.

Silhouette posted:

It's confirmed when the nanny freaks out at the real, screaming Mandragora that Ofelia brought back to the house.

I didn't even remember this. :shobon:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Violen posted:

Tinker Tailor?

Yeah, that's a good one. Even stuff like Michael Clayton doesn't really have anything for you to figure out on your own before the characters do.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

All this talk of The Thing made me go rewatch The Thing on Netflix. I liked it even more than I remembered.

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Here's how I interpret the ending of The Thing.

To Mac, it honestly doesn't matter. He sees the game as being lost. He's sure he overlooked something, and even if Childs is human, he's convinced that he missed something, somewhere. He sees it as he's been checkmated, and Child's ambiguous nature is just the focal point of that. As that old plot analysis points out, from Mac's point of view he then goes out the way he was introduced in the film: pouring whisky into an inhuman adversary that beat him.
I love this. I never would have made that connection.

Well said, although if it were done in the style of a creepypasta I would've at least laughed.
A creepy what now?

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

Slasherfan posted:

I thought the prequel confirmed Childs is human because he has an Ear ring at the end of the movie.

Yeeeeeeeeeeah... I. I don't care.

We're talking about a movie where they used a stagehand to shoot a scene with a silhouette, just to ensure you can't ever figure out what character the silhouette was supposed to be of.

The ambiguity is the plot.

The Thing is one of my absolute favorite movies.

edit: I meant to say shadow, but you see my point.

Cinnamon Bastard fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 22, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

RightClickSaveAs posted:

A creepy what now?

Creepypasta (a play on Copypasta) is basically the term for creepy internet memes. Popular examples of this include Candle Cove, Ben Drowned and anything Slenderman related.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

Creepypasta (a play on Copypasta) is basically the term for creepy internet memes. Popular examples of this include Candle Cove, Ben Drowned and anything Slenderman related.

Yeah. I would have liked the story better if like, a disheveled, sleep deprived middle aged man slid over a coffee stained 3x5 card with the address of an abandoned theatre that is showing the double secret The Thing ending. Then he would weep openly, and the unseen footage would have realistic gore and blood in it too.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
In other horror news. I accidentally threw out my rented copy of Sinister last night while dumping trash out of my car.
I'm afraid of calling the rental store to find out what I'm going to have to pay for that luke-warm film.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

axleblaze posted:

Or, my personal favorite, saying For the Lulz in the mirror until Candyman Bettlejuice Smiley? appears.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

schwenz posted:

In other horror news. I accidentally threw out my rented copy of Sinister last night while dumping trash out of my car.
I'm afraid of calling the rental store to find out what I'm going to have to pay for that luke-warm film.

I know Blockbuster changed their policy on this a long time ago, not that there are many still around. They just charged you late fees until it added up to the cost of the dvd, and then you owned it. So you never had to pay more than you would if you just went out and bought it. Much better than $48 worth of late fees for one dvd.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Ah, so some dumb reddit type thing? Got it. What are ya gonna do, YOLO I guess!

weekly font posted:

Or, my personal favorite, saying For the Lulz in the mirror until Candyman Bettlejuice Smiley? appears.
Oh christ....

Two questions, was that Smiley movie as bad as it looked or even worse? And how the hell did they get Keith David to agree to be in it? See, it all comes full circle to The Thing. Or at least tangentially.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Hey, a few of my buddies want to watch a legit scary movie, you know, one that doesn't stop being scary. Any suggestions? I'm just having trouble finding ones that keep balance of scaring without losing momentum to early.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The Descent.

It starts strong, then dicks around a bit to set things up, and then is god drat horrifying the rest of the time. I god drat love Niell Marshall.

So, since I can't find any proper thread on it, what're folks thinking about the remake of The Evil Dead? I naturally am skeptical, but the trailer looks pretty good, and it has Raimi, Tapert and Campbell's backing, so I have no idea what to think.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

So, since I can't find any proper thread on it, what're folks thinking about the remake of The Evil Dead? I naturally am skeptical, but the trailer looks pretty good, and it has Raimi, Tapert and Campbell's backing, so I have no idea what to think.

Trailer looks good but I don't like the music video style superfast high frequency jump cuts in the trailer, that raises my skepticism a bit. Also, the she-demon saying "we're going to get you" etc. was spookier in the original in my opinion.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Looks mean as hell.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Looks mean as hell.

Yeah, I remember the original being lauded as being intense, vicious, no-holds-barred horror and then being a little let down when I actually saw it. The trailers for the new one make it look like I expected the original to look.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

The Descent.

It starts strong, then dicks around a bit to set things up, and then is god drat horrifying the rest of the time. I god drat love Niell Marshall.

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestion! We all ended up loving it, stayed interesting all the way through. A couple guys didn't think the ending was that great, but we all enjoyed it a lot anyway.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!

Fiend Computer posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestion! We all ended up loving it, stayed interesting all the way through. A couple guys didn't think the ending was that great, but we all enjoyed it a lot anyway.

Which ending did you see?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Fiend Computer posted:

Good. That really is a great all around horror movie. Now do yourself a favor and don't watch the sequel.

Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

Happiness is being famous for your financial ability to indulge in every kind of excess.

The Bananana posted:

Good. That really is a great all around horror movie. Now do yourself a favor and don't watch the sequel.

Seconded - the sequel screwed up everything the first film did so well.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I watched Land of the Dead again yesterday. I had forgotten just how much Romero turned to poo poo in the 90s and it only got worse from there :negative:

What a bad movie. It makes TWD's second season almost look stellar in comparison. This whole thing about zombies becoming sentient and all that is just urgh and the midget and zombie fighting for sport and urgh.

I have wiped off Diaries of the Dead from my mind completely, I almost want to revisit it just to punish myself.

I imagine that his movies have just been worse and worse since then?

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Survival of the Dead is pretty bad but it's not as bad as Diary. It looks like he's pretty much done making movies though which is a good thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I actually kinda dig Land of the Dead, but Survival is very bad and Diary is downright inexcusable.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I miss living in a world where Diary of the Dead was the worst found footage film I'd ever seen because man is it terrible and nothing should be worse than it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Twee as gently caress posted:

I watched Land of the Dead again yesterday. I had forgotten just how much Romero turned to poo poo in the 90s and it only got worse from there :negative:

What a bad movie. It makes TWD's second season almost look stellar in comparison. This whole thing about zombies becoming sentient and all that is just urgh and the midget and zombie fighting for sport and urgh.

I have wiped off Diaries of the Dead from my mind completely, I almost want to revisit it just to punish myself.

I imagine that his movies have just been worse and worse since then?

Land... is fine and continues Romero's line of thinking from DotD, but I'm not sure really what his end game was with it. Saying that I'm not that big a fan of Romero (At least not his Zombie films, I find them the least interesting of everything he's done) so I've never held any of his stuff with any real reverence. Saying that, for my sins I thought the one on the island with the warring people was better than I'd been led to believe it was.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Diary of the Dead is the only movie I ever walked out on. I didn't feel well and just couldn't take it anymore. I think I left pretty close to the end but not knowing how it finishes up exactly hasn't really haunted me.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I just watched Grave Encounters 2 . I really don't know how to feel. In some sense I feel like it didn't have anywhere near the atmosphere of the first. There were many parts that did feel just like number 1 but ended up spiraling off into bullshit. It really took a pretty lame twist later on but it was still entertaining enough I guess.

I'd definitely rank it much "worse" than the first one.

Has anyone else seen the additional film right after the credits? It definitely adds an interesting twist....

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

axleblaze posted:

I miss living in a world where Diary of the Dead was the worst found footage film I'd ever seen because man is it terrible and nothing should be worse than it.

What tops it? Megan is Missing? Because Gacy House wraps back around into being amazing, like a kid managing to get his swing to go so high that it wraps around the bar.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
I watched the Silent Hill sequel. Because.. I had to. I swear I'm like cursed in that I HAVE to watch sequels to everything I've seen.

Actors slipping into their natural accents, everyone looking bored as poo poo, Pyramid Head looked like he was on steroids, random bits of three games thrown into the story, Kit Harington being way too cute and young to play someone as creepy as game Vincent was, bad CGI, and just overall awfulness. Grown Alessa looked like an angry mallgoth more than she did a demon. Uuguguhhhh.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

What tops it? Megan is Missing? Because Gacy House wraps back around into being amazing, like a kid managing to get his swing to go so high that it wraps around the bar.

Redacted. I have seen very few movies that are bad as Redacted period but completely fumbling my favorite sub genre doesn't help.

And yeah, Gacy House is bad but it's so ridiculous that it's hard to hate.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Pretty sure either Evidence or [REC]3 has the title of worst found footage film, easily. And Megan is Missing is less a found footage film and more nihilism with cameras involved.

e: Or possibly The Tapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
[REC]3 shouldn't be counted as a found footage film and it's way better than Redacted anyways.