Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

juche mane posted:

Of course. I'd just feel more comfortable handing back a working piece of equipment to the dude.

Are you a magician?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Arghhh. I kept getting the sick android icon when I tried to update from 4.1 to 4.2.1 on my Nexus 7. From searching around it seemed like a fairly common issue (I posted here and was told to sideload the update. I didn't because people said 4.2.1 sucked). Now I'm having same problem it trying to go from 4.1 to the 4.2.2 update that just showed up. Why the poo poo should I have to root or sideload stuff to make a flagship android device update properly? :argh:

Can someone kindly link me to a simpleton's tutorial about how to sideload the 4.2.2 update from OSX? I found a few tools but they all require windows and I only have OSX. They all have scary warnings about "bla bla don't blame me if it gets bricked etc".

Any help is greatly appreciated!

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

THE LUMMOX posted:

Arghhh. I kept getting the sick android icon when I tried to update from 4.1 to 4.2.1 on my Nexus 7. From searching around it seemed like a fairly common issue (I posted here and was told to sideload the update. I didn't because people said 4.2.1 sucked). Now I'm having same problem it trying to go from 4.1 to the 4.2.2 update that just showed up. Why the poo poo should I have to root or sideload stuff to make a flagship android device update properly? :argh:

Can someone kindly link me to a simpleton's tutorial about how to sideload the 4.2.2 update from OSX? I found a few tools but they all require windows and I only have OSX. They all have scary warnings about "bla bla don't blame me if it gets bricked etc".

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I think some folks earlier in the thread said you have to have 4.2.1 in order to go to 4.2.2.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

THE LUMMOX posted:

Arghhh. I kept getting the sick android icon when I tried to update from 4.1 to 4.2.1 on my Nexus 7.
Is your bootloader unlocked? This will determine how easy this is going to be to fix.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

sethsez posted:

Unless it's really abnormally stiff (which is possible) I don't really see how it could be a dud. It's about as mechanically simple as you can get. You roll it up into a triangle with the felt on the outside and stand it up... the only other thing I can think of is that you're not rolling it up tight enough, which can also make it tip over. Just like the iPad case, you've got to roll it up into a proper triangle with no gaps.

Either way, it sucks that it isn't working for you.

No gaps. Triangle. The felt of the short end that goes against the backplate is slipping against the plastic/pleather. It forces that part up until the whole thing collapses backwards.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Well my tf300 just took a fall and broke last night. No money for a new one either. :(

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

TShields posted:

No gaps. Triangle. The felt of the short end that goes against the backplate is slipping against the plastic/pleather. It forces that part up until the whole thing collapses backwards.

Mine did that too when I first got it yesterday. I just bent the cover over at the folds a few times each while squeezing them with my fingers to crease them. Works perfectly now. I left it standing in the up right position on my nightstand all night last night.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Cakefool posted:

So are you being paid for your time?

It's a challenge, those are fun sometimes
edit: I might not know what I'm talking about, only having ever tried to hack samsung galaxy 1s and a kindle fire. I did almost buy a $50 tablet on black friday though, maybe it was a blessing they ran out.

CloFan fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 16, 2013

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

CloFan posted:

It's a challenge, those are fun sometimes
edit: I might not know what I'm talking about, only having ever tried to hack samsung galaxy 1s and a kindle fire. I did almost buy a $50 tablet on black friday though, maybe it was a blessing they ran out.

Exactly!

I've found a ROM that should work and I'm attempting to load it with Livesuit 1.09. I can't get this thing into USB mode though, due to the lock screen and airplane mode. I have the ADB driver installed and I'm going into the adb utility now, I think. Is there a way to force the device into USB mode or something from that program?

edit: Thanks to all who helped! Was able to wipe it and reboot it using simple shell commands, lol.

Otis Reddit fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 17, 2013

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I have a Asus Infinity Pad (TF700) and was curious if anyone else with the tablet could help me out. I bought a micro hdmi to hdmi cable about a week ago and plugged it into a tv in my bedroom (46" LG) it popped up on the screen, but it doesn't seem to be outputting to 1080P rather it seems to be a 4:3 ratio like it were 1920x1200 of the tablet, but it's outputting to like 1700x1080 Vertically it fits perfect. Horizontally there are two black bars on the left/right side. I was able to correct this on my LG tv by stretching the video to the edges, it just looks kind of weird. I also tried on a 55" Vizio I have in my living room and that does the same thing, however I can't stretch it out the same way I can only zoom in basically which cuts off a lot of the display. Does anyone know why the tablet doesn't output 1920x1080 like it should be? Is there any app or setting where I can change the output resolution?

Edit: I see on XDA that people have some cropping issues on 1080p, but their issues seem to be it fitting the TV and cropping the bottom 120 pixels where the nav bar or it's zoomed in way to much. So that doesn't really help me.

Edit2: I did a little more digging on XDA which was a nightmare and discovered that there is nothing I can do about it. It only outputs 1920x1200 at the moment so if you scale have it scale 1:1 on the tv it cuts off the top and bottom and if you you force it to 1080p it re-sizes to fit vertically and because of that re-sizes the horizontal to keep the original aspect ratio. Oh well :(

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 19, 2013

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I live in a US apartment complex where there are no less than 15 wireless networks around me at any time. My SGS2 can use 5ghz (no one else is on it anywhere around me), but the Nexus 7 can only use 2.4ghz, much to my dismay when I bought it. Lately, my connection's been dropping out frequently. Is it possible for the US N7 to view channel 13? Do I need to root? I can broadcast it on custom router firmwater.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm finally getting around to rooting my Kindle Fire. The bad news is that I lost all of my links to the sites that recommended how to do it without completely buggering it, and since I reckon that it's out of date anyways, I may as well ask again:

Can I have a suggestion for the best way to root my Kindle Fire with JellyBean/4.2 and will the KF even be able to handle that OS or will it poo poo the bed too often?

e; I'm assuming this is the best and most up to date version out, correct? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2041694

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 20, 2013

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

thebushcommander posted:

I have a Asus Infinity Pad (TF700) and was curious if anyone else with the tablet could help me out. I bought a micro hdmi to hdmi cable about a week ago and plugged it into a tv in my bedroom (46" LG) it popped up on the screen, but it doesn't seem to be outputting to 1080P rather it seems to be a 4:3 ratio like it were 1920x1200 of the tablet, but it's outputting to like 1700x1080 Vertically it fits perfect. Horizontally there are two black bars on the left/right side. I was able to correct this on my LG tv by stretching the video to the edges, it just looks kind of weird. I also tried on a 55" Vizio I have in my living room and that does the same thing, however I can't stretch it out the same way I can only zoom in basically which cuts off a lot of the display. Does anyone know why the tablet doesn't output 1920x1080 like it should be? Is there any app or setting where I can change the output resolution?

Edit: I see on XDA that people have some cropping issues on 1080p, but their issues seem to be it fitting the TV and cropping the bottom 120 pixels where the nav bar or it's zoomed in way to much. So that doesn't really help me.

Edit2: I did a little more digging on XDA which was a nightmare and discovered that there is nothing I can do about it. It only outputs 1920x1200 at the moment so if you scale have it scale 1:1 on the tv it cuts off the top and bottom and if you you force it to 1080p it re-sizes to fit vertically and because of that re-sizes the horizontal to keep the original aspect ratio. Oh well :(

maybe I'm confused, but I was under the impression that it doesn't output 1200p, but instead scales down to 1080p so it can connect to TVs that won't accept a higher then native resolution. This is why the desktop "crops" the nav bar out, to maintain the proper aspect rather then being "squeezed". It's a little funky looking on homescreens but it looks perfect inside the apps I tried. Media out is flawless, the tab will send out the 1080 signal with the proper AR maintained..so if you're watching a 2.5:1 film you'll have the proper aspect/letterboxing.

I'd mess around with the overscan settings and profiles on the televisions...

Also, I'm confused as poo poo to what you mean with the 4:3 stuff...The only way you'd come close to 4:3 is in portrait mode, but then you're looking at something narrower then 4:3..

I actually hoped it'd output 1200p native as I have one monitor that can't scale anything that isn't 1200p. But it doesn't..so when I connected to that monitor, I was looking at a 1080p signal on a 1200 panel, letterboxed, with the nav bar cropped..

e: The menu crop thing is what throws everybody off. If you're sending a 16:10 aspect to a 16:9 tv, you'll get pillarboxing, OR part of the image will be cropped. I've read things where asus themselves has claimed it's sending out a 1200p signal, which is 100% not true, as my and everyones else experiences connecting to a 16:10 monitor have proven (image would be 1:1 if it were sending out 1200p)..So you're getting a "cropped" 1080p signal, but it's only cropping off the bottom pixels to maintain a proper 16:9 aspect, instead of cropping the 1200 signal. Kind of a mind gently caress.

On the prime which is x800p, you had 2 options with HDMI out.."scale" which would give you 1:1 with the menu bar intact, or "crop" which behaves just like the tf700. Not sure why they didn't carry over a scaling option for the infinity..

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 20, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I think HDMI out is just broken. I have a Nexus 10 (2560x1600) and a 2560x1600 monitor. I know HDMI can't do that high of a resolution, but it should at least be able to do 1920x1200. Instead of doing that, or even doing 1920x1080 and letterboxing, it puts black bars on the left and right. My screen is 25.325" wide and when using HDMI from the 10, the image is 22.75" wide, so it ends up being 3:2, the same as thebushcommander is seeing.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I think HDMI out is just broken. I have a Nexus 10 (2560x1600) and a 2560x1600 monitor. I know HDMI can't do that high of a resolution, but it should at least be able to do 1920x1200. Instead of doing that, or even doing 1920x1080 and letterboxing, it puts black bars on the left and right. My screen is 25.325" wide and when using HDMI from the 10, the image is 22.75" wide, so it ends up being 3:2, the same as thebushcommander is seeing.

Well that's even more confusing. HDMI 1.3 has a max of 2560x1600 over single link, 1.4 - 4096×2160...So is the n10 sending a 1600p signal? If it is, it should be 1:1 on your monitor but you're saying it's pillar boxing.

(the monitors themselves won't accept 2560x 1440/1600 over HDMI..i just looked at the specs for my u3011..so it's a monitor limitation for some reason vs an HDMI limitation re: higher then x1200 over HDMI)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 20, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The monitor is definitely scaling, because stuff looks blurry. I'm using a u3011. The monitor shows that it's receiving 1920x1080 and it reports a maximum possible resolution of 1920x1200 which I take to mean that's the best the HDMI port can do. If I plug my Chromebook into the monitor it says the same thing, but it stretches the entire 1920x1080 image to fit. I guess that means the tablet is actually doing the pillarboxing which is even more confusing.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Tunga posted:

Is your bootloader unlocked? This will determine how easy this is going to be to fix.

I really appreciate the response but what is a bootloader and how do I know if it is unlocked? Is this seriously something google expects people to have to deal with on their own? Am I really going to have to manually update googles FLAGSHIP loving product?

I found this: http://genius-tips.com/how-to-unlock-bootloader-of-nexus-7/ which is useless because I only have OSX.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

THE LUMMOX posted:

I really appreciate the response but what is a bootloader and how do I know if it is unlocked? Is this seriously something google expects people to have to deal with on their own? Am I really going to have to manually update googles FLAGSHIP loving product?

I found this: http://genius-tips.com/how-to-unlock-bootloader-of-nexus-7/ which is useless because I only have OSX.
Given that you don't know what the bootloader is (which is completely reasonable, and I probably should have given you more than a one line answer, sorry), you can assume that your bootloader is locked. That means you aren't going to be able to manually flash the full factory image which is what I was going to suggest. Since unlocking the bootloader will wipe the device, that isn't going to help you do an in-place update with your data intact.

I'm not sure that there is a simple answer for your problem, unfortunately. I think your options are: 1) manually flash the factory image (which is pretty easy, but requires you to wipe the device), or call Google and have them replace it.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

zer0spunk posted:

maybe I'm confused, but I was under the impression that it doesn't output 1200p, but instead scales down to 1080p so it can connect to TVs that won't accept a higher then native resolution. This is why the desktop "crops" the nav bar out, to maintain the proper aspect rather then being "squeezed". It's a little funky looking on homescreens but it looks perfect inside the apps I tried. Media out is flawless, the tab will send out the 1080 signal with the proper AR maintained..so if you're watching a 2.5:1 film you'll have the proper aspect/letterboxing.

I'd mess around with the overscan settings and profiles on the televisions...

Also, I'm confused as poo poo to what you mean with the 4:3 stuff...The only way you'd come close to 4:3 is in portrait mode, but then you're looking at something narrower then 4:3..

I actually hoped it'd output 1200p native as I have one monitor that can't scale anything that isn't 1200p. But it doesn't..so when I connected to that monitor, I was looking at a 1080p signal on a 1200 panel, letterboxed, with the nav bar cropped..

e: The menu crop thing is what throws everybody off. If you're sending a 16:10 aspect to a 16:9 tv, you'll get pillarboxing, OR part of the image will be cropped. I've read things where asus themselves has claimed it's sending out a 1200p signal, which is 100% not true, as my and everyones else experiences connecting to a 16:10 monitor have proven (image would be 1:1 if it were sending out 1200p)..So you're getting a "cropped" 1080p signal, but it's only cropping off the bottom pixels to maintain a proper 16:9 aspect, instead of cropping the 1200 signal. Kind of a mind gently caress.

On the prime which is x800p, you had 2 options with HDMI out.."scale" which would give you 1:1 with the menu bar intact, or "crop" which behaves just like the tf700. Not sure why they didn't carry over a scaling option for the infinity..

I'd have to take a picture of it I guess, it really doesn't make sense and no matter what options I play with on the Vizio (which is the TV I'd most like to use it on) it doesn't every fit properly, it's either zoomed in way to much and cuts off from all sides or it looks like it's 1800x1080 with the menu bar visible. I think I was reading a lot of mixed comments from various transformer tablets, it was XDA after all so I shouldn't have been surprised people would be posting about the issues with their prime on the infinity forum.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

I'd have to take a picture of it I guess, it really doesn't make sense and no matter what options I play with on the Vizio (which is the TV I'd most like to use it on) it doesn't every fit properly, it's either zoomed in way to much and cuts off from all sides or it looks like it's 1800x1080 with the menu bar visible. I think I was reading a lot of mixed comments from various transformer tablets, it was XDA after all so I shouldn't have been surprised people would be posting about the issues with their prime on the infinity forum.
I'm betting it's the output from the tablet. If it does the same thing as my 10, it's probably more like 1620x1080. Are the bars about 3.75" wide?
http://www.displaywars.com/55-inch-16x9-vs-48,6-inch-3x2

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Just got 4.2.2 and I couldn't be happier so far. My N7 is snappy again!

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

I'm betting it's the output from the tablet. If it does the same thing as my 10, it's probably more like 1620x1080. Are the bars about 3.75" wide?
http://www.displaywars.com/55-inch-16x9-vs-48,6-inch-3x2

Actually now that you mention it, yes. I wonder if it's a JB issue..

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
My Nexus 7's screen doesn't stay on for more than 5 seconds, and always turns off after I input my password. What do I do?! I only like, slightly hit it against my wall getting out of bed..

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Siroc posted:

I live in a US apartment complex where there are no less than 15 wireless networks around me at any time. My SGS2 can use 5ghz (no one else is on it anywhere around me), but the Nexus 7 can only use 2.4ghz, much to my dismay when I bought it. Lately, my connection's been dropping out frequently. Is it possible for the US N7 to view channel 13? Do I need to root? I can broadcast it on custom router firmwater.

No one?

Another problem: apps on the N7 take FOREVER to install after downloading. Is there any cache I can potentially clear to speed this up? They just hang on 100% downloaded (preventing everything else installing).

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Cromlech posted:

My Nexus 7's screen doesn't stay on for more than 5 seconds, and always turns off after I input my password. What do I do?! I only like, slightly hit it against my wall getting out of bed..

I had a similar issue on an old rear end Nexus One phone awhile back and basically what I did was go into the screen timeout options and put it to 1 minute and then put it back what I had before. For some reason it was defaulting to the quickest display timeout even though it wasn't selected. It was right after os update as well. I'd try that, as stupid as it sounds and if that doesn't work, you might be looking at a factory reset since I don't know what else you could do for the screen timeout.

Siroc posted:

No one?

Another problem: apps on the N7 take FOREVER to install after downloading. Is there any cache I can potentially clear to speed this up? They just hang on 100% downloaded (preventing everything else installing).

For your first problem I have no idea. I too live in an apartment complex where there are a poo poo load of wifi networks within range and I've never had a problem with any of my devices staying connected. Are you sure it's interference and not something else? I had a linksys router that dropped signal for people randomly and then after a firmware upgrade it never dropped a single connection ever again.

As for the other issue you can try going to settings>apps>all and then scrolling down to Google Play Store and clearing the cache. I've seen certain apps take longer to install than others, but I always just assumed it got hung up in the unpacking of the apk.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 21, 2013

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

How likely are we to see a gen 2 of the Nexus 7 at Google IO? I'm thinking likely since it would have been a year and haven't like all of the nexus devices been updated every year?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Very likely. The easy money is on S4 Pro with 1080p display and 2gb of RAM.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Very likely. The easy money is on S4 Pro with 1080p display and 2gb of RAM.
You don't think they'll use something with A15s in it?

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
What settings do I put into SwiftKey so I don't accidentally add words after periods? It is way different than my HTC phone, which would be an ideal setup on my Nexus.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You don't think they'll use something with A15s in it?

Not for the lower end market that the 7 occupies. The S4 Pro will be a pretty significant leap in performance over Tegra 3.

By June, the only A15 option there be are Exynos (I doubt Tegra 4 will launch in quantities by then) and that's obviously not going to be a choice unless the new 7 is made by Samsung.

I mean, I could be wrong, but I think this is the most likely direction.

In other news, Bluetooth is still pretty broken on 4.2.2. A2DP streaming still kills my WiFi connection.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Not for the lower end market that the 7 occupies. The S4 Pro will be a pretty significant leap in performance over Tegra 3.

By June, the only A15 option there be are Exynos (I doubt Tegra 4 will launch in quantities by then) and that's obviously not going to be a choice unless the new 7 is made by Samsung.

I mean, I could be wrong, but I think this is the most likely direction.
It's too bad about TI. Are they going to make any OMAP5s at all?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's too bad about TI. Are they going to make any OMAP5s at all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMAP5#OMAP_5

Looks like Q2 and there are a few products using it, but nothing really consumer oriented.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
I just hope Google can produce enough to keep them in stock. It's going to be an ideal dad's birthday gift.

I also hope Google will increase the storage. Teaching my dad "cloud stuff" would suck, especially through the phone.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Allaniis posted:

I just hope Google can produce enough to keep them in stock. It's going to be an ideal dad's birthday gift.

I also hope Google will increase the storage. Teaching my dad "cloud stuff" would suck, especially through the phone.
I'd say it's unlikely you'll see anything bigger than 32GB. It's also unlikely you'll see anything smaller though, since they won't want it to be a downgrade from the existing N7.

The thing I'm most interested in is what they're going to call the new thing. "Nexus 7 2" isn't really an option.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Nexus 7 (2013) or Nexus 7 (2nd gen)

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

RVProfootballer posted:

Nexus 7 (2013) or Nexus 7 (2nd gen)
Nexus 7²

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Nexus 7 (mid-2013J)
Nexus 7 FHD
Nexus 1200
Nexus 7 Infinity
Nexus 7 4G Touch with Beats by Dr. Dre
Nexus 7 Xtreme

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I thought we were already on the 2nd gen Nexus 7, but i'm not to concerned about that as I only use my Nexus for internet stuff (porn), so performance is not that important I guess. Do these tablets really just get updated once a year to play better games? Because otherwise it seems like the current Nexus 7 doesn't need to be updated anytime soon.

I the only thing I really want right now is the dual screen mode that the Samsung Galaxy Note II has, but on my Nexus 7.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

It's rumored to have a 1920x1200 screen, which will put the pixel density higher than the Nexus 10 and 4. No more cruddy-looking text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's rumored to have a 1920x1200 screen, which will put the pixel density higher than the Nexus 10 and 4. No more cruddy-looking text.

Okay that's pretty awesome and would be worth an upgrade.