Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

FullMetalJacket posted:

I'm looking into getting an e30, what should I be looking out for/ expect for problems and at how many km?

But seriously, this is a pretty comprehensive list I've used pretty regularly. http://e30world.com/Maintenance/BMW-E30-common-problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

FullMetalJacket posted:

I'm looking into getting an e30, what should I be looking out for/ expect for problems and at how many km?

Buy two.

But seriously, they're old cars. Rust & general lack of maintenance are the biggest things to look for.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Well I narrowed it down to my fuel pump making GBS threads out. I'm glad that getting parts sent next day air from pelican is still overall half of the local dealership's price.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I already have an M3 on order, but I wasn't able to customize it as it was in production when I secured the order. I found one listed at another dealer across the country that fits more closely what I would have ordered, but when I try to get a price out of them I get this response:

Shady Dealer Douche posted:

Thank you for your response Mr. Barker.

There are a lot of variables to be considered when quoting, such as lease/finance, credit, down payment, trade (if you have one,) income, etc. Because of these necessary details, we would like to invite you into our dealership so we may provide you with a truly exceptional experience. Ultimately, your presence is your best leverage as well.

Moving forward over the net is certainly an option too. In the event that would be your preference, I can connect with my Internet Manager and we can send you a BMW Financial Services Credit Application to determine what you qualify for. We would need the previous information mentioned as well.

Please let me know how you'd like to proceed and we'll make it happen for you. Your time and consideration are appreciated.

All my best,
Shady Dealer Douche

Yes, I need to submit a credit app to get your selling price. That makes sense. I've never bought a car before so thanks for informing me of this requirement.

What the gently caress.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
You should name this douchey dealership. Order an M3 though from your preferred dealer so we can be hateful and jellus. :colbert:

I would troll them like I did with the douches at Sacramento, CA area Roseville BMW. I knew they wouldn't get close to the price I got from Santa Barbara for the 535 I bought last year - and as I kept rejecting and laughing at their "$500 under MSRP" initial quote and moderately better follow ups it was fun watching the sales douche to sales mgr to branch mgr emails come in.

Nothing was as bad as trying to order a new 330Ci in the SF Area back around May of 2000. I had dealers asking me "how much over MSRP would you like to bid we only have so many slots to order a manual coupe?" and various other stupid poo poo.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 20, 2013

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Keyser S0ze posted:

You should name this douchey dealership. Order an M3 though from your preferred dealer so we can be hateful and jellus. :colbert:

I would troll them like I did with the douches at Sacramento, CA area Roseville BMW. I knew they wouldn't get close to the price I got from Santa Barbara for the 535 I bought last year - and as I kept rejecting and laughing at their "$500 under MSRP" initial quote and moderately better follow ups it was fun watching the sales douche to sales mgr to branch mgr emails come in.

Nothing was as bad as trying to order a new 330Ci in the SF Area back around May of 2000. I had dealers asking me "how much over MSRP would you like to bid we only have so many slots to order a manual coupe?" and various other stupid poo poo.

I do already have a car on the way, it's just not exactly what I would have optioned if I had the choice. Over the last few weeks the demand for E92s has gone through the roof, and all that's left are over optioned stuff sitting on dealer lots. There aren't a whole lot of production slots available.

I actually could have put an order in with another dealer for $1500 over Invoice, but my local dealer offered $2000 over and I have a great relationship with them. They're the only dealer in the area so I want to keep it that way. $500 on a $60k car is irrelevant. Plus ill be one of the few people with cloth sports seats, which were awesome in the e36.

Edit: dealer is BMW of Riverside

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
over invoice?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Keyser S0ze posted:

over invoice?

Yea, I typed MSRP on accident and just edited it. This was 3 weeks ago, at this point the usual online dealers (like Santa Barbara and Baltimore) are asking MSRP for their remaining slots.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
No poo poo, they were "whoring" them out at the end of December.......I figured there would be a late uptick in demand as production stops - but this feels a bit early. So jellus.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3608030478.html

If the car runs decently, this may not be to bad of a deal. But I am worried about that rocker panel. Has any one replaced one on an E36? I know the car is going to be a turd, but hey, it will be a fun turd and get a few better MPG's than the rest of the gas hogs that clutter my drive. The interior looks pretty good actually too.

Edit: If I end up getting it and fixing it, I may actually plasi-dip the fucker too.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BrokenKnucklez posted:

If the car runs decently, this may not be to bad of a deal. But I am worried about that rocker panel. Has any one replaced one on an E36? I know the car is going to be a turd, but hey, it will be a fun turd and get a few better MPG's than the rest of the gas hogs that clutter my drive. The interior looks pretty good actually too.

Edit: If I end up getting it and fixing it, I may actually plasi-dip the fucker too.

Look at the trunk. This car has clearly not been taken care of. Also its a 318. Run.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Lightbulb Out posted:

Look at the trunk. This car has clearly not been taken care of. Also its a 318. Run.

Yeah I saw that. I am gonna offer him 500, see if he takes it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Yeah I saw that. I am gonna offer him 500, see if he takes it.

You mean you're going to ask him for $500 to remove that stain from his property?

Seriously man....that's worth less than free. You will dump money into it only to find out it's a turd that is no fun to drive.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Haha holy poo poo that car is JUNK. E36s rust from the inside out, so not only is that rocker panel gone the frame rail beneath it will be toast (ask me how I know!). Not worth fixing.

If you pay anything over 100 bucks for that car you are dumb.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That 318i is not worth $500.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Lightbulb Out posted:

Buy two.

But seriously, they're old cars. Rust & general lack of maintenance are the biggest things to look for.

So I'm guessing paying anything under 1k is asking for problems?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

FullMetalJacket posted:

To get a decent, reliable E30, you're looking at spending at least $3k, either by buying a well maintained example, or buying a cheaper one and fixing all the poo poo that's wrong with it. I paid $1300 for my E30 and it needs at least a grand of work to fix all the poo poo that's wrong with it and it's an automatic eta, one of the least desirable E30s. I mean it runs and drives and gets me to work (except when it doesn't) but by no means am I comfortable driving it outside the city I live in right now, mostly because the last time I tried I broke down in the middle of loving nowhere in a snowstorm.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

FullMetalJacket posted:

rscott posted:

To get a decent, reliable E30, you're looking at spending at least $3k, either by buying a well maintained example, or buying a cheaper one and fixing all the poo poo that's wrong with it. I paid $1300 for my E30 and it needs at least a grand of work to fix all the poo poo that's wrong with it and it's an automatic eta, one of the least desirable E30s. I mean it runs and drives and gets me to work (except when it doesn't) but by no means am I comfortable driving it outside the city I live in right now, mostly because the last time I tried I broke down in the middle of loving nowhere in a snowstorm.

You can get a decent car for cheaper than that, but it has to be found, and that requires much patience.

In my area(Iowa), they are rare and rusty. I have been fortunate to find "inexpensive" examples. My '91 325is cost $4800. My '91 318i cost roughly $1800, but I have a total of about ~$3200 in maintenance, tires, and upgrades. I've put an E36 steering rack in the car, LSD, mud flaps, coil on plug kit, Bilstein HDs, recharged the AC, new stereo + speakers, and fixed a rust spot. There have been miscellaneous other adventures in there. Also now the car needs another door lock rebuild, valve cover gasket, and a new windshield wiper stalk because it sticks the sprayer "on" while driving and won't turn off. Granted, this has been a period of 2.5 years and ~45,000 miles. I consider only having $5k in the car a pretty good investment, especially the longer that I drive it. All of the items that need to be fixed I can order/scrounge the parts inexpensively and install them myself.

That's just the daily. E30s require love and attention, and usually the ones for ~$1k and lower require a lot more love and attention to be in any decent shape.

My dad has a '87 325is that is in amazing shape cost roughly $3000, but he's paid to have about $3500 worth of work done to it. He likes to joke that when the "CHECK" light is on, the car needs you to write it a check. My friend has a decent 4 door '87 325i that he has about $2500 in, but it's a little rough. They're out there, but they will have high mileage and you will have to fix a lot of things to get them in a real performance car state.

**edit for clarity

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 21, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
E36 dude is a moron. Said because it's a bmw its worth a ton of money.... I think I will stick to finding a porsche instead.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
500 was too much. That thing is junk man. He's a delusional moron but he saved you heartache.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

"has a little rust from just sitting" :stare:

I mean it is Iowa but really?

The only reason to buy this car would be to strip it down for parts and scrap the rest. And that's only if you were to buy it for a few hundred dollars at most.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Thanks everyone for their previous replies on the anomaly of my dials zero'ing out. Problem is not yet fixed since the car recently failed an emissions test.

Car: e36 325is (1994). 186,000 miles on it.
code:
               CO%        HC      Dilution

Idle          0.13       224       14.9

25rpm         0.16       57       14.8

Max         1.00       130       Passed
So the Hydrocarbon rate at idle is bad, and bad enough that I don't think a tiny tweak is going to help.

Largest culprit is that the car had been sitting around with no one driving it for 6+ months. In the past month I've put 100-200 miles on it. At the beginning of this driving period it started throwing OBD code 1221, which corresponds to a faulty O2 sensor. This is the largest fixable culprit by a mile.

My only hesitation and reason why I'm posting this is that the car hasn't thrown a O2 sensor code or any Check Engine code in the past 3 weeks of driving, which has been the majority of time driving with it.

Any other possibilities, or should I do what's probably right and replace the O2 sensor in the hope it will fix the emissions.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Update: Going for O2 sensor replacement since I got a $125 quote from mechanic.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Hooking up DIS and going through the DME diagnostics would probably find what that is pretty quick. A real BMW shop should be able to do this in like 15 mins. I wouldn't be surprised if resetting the adaptations in the parking lot would get you to pass.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

O2 sensor did not do it, I did get a 1 year waiver on passing emissions from the shop for at least trying (PA has the weirdest laws). In those 365 days I'll find a reputable BMW shop and take it to them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Maxwells Demon posted:

O2 sensor did not do it, I did get a 1 year waiver on passing emissions from the shop for at least trying (PA has the weirdest laws). In those 365 days I'll find a reputable BMW shop and take it to them.

Yeah, if you spend at least $150 in repairs you can get a wavier. Not all inspection stations can issue them. And you can do it again next year depending on what emissions region you are in.

They even accept parts receipts if the are emissions components and from the last 30 (maybe even 60) days.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Does that engine even have a valve cover gasket anymore? Good god.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I bought the first part of my M3 so I look forward to wasting all of my money and contributing to this thread :thumbsup:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I went over a bump and my car emptied the full windshield wiper reservoir before I had time to pull over and unplug it.

I plugged it back in and turned the car back on, and it turned back on. Wacked the relay/fusebox a couple times, and it was fine.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I bought the first part of my M3 so I look forward to wasting all of my money and contributing to this thread :thumbsup:

You're spending too much or all of your money on a BMW? A car?

Welcome, my friend.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Hey this seems pretty nice
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/3623781855.html

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

If only it wasn't Bronzit.... oh well! Go buy it!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Jealous of how clean that interior is and those cloth seats.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
For a clean, one owner car with maintenance records and hooooooo, that seems like a really good price.

As an aside, why do you all seem to prefer the cloth seats? I've seen a lot of posts about M3's with cloth sport seats and really the only other seats I hear talked about are the Vaders. What gives? As the Big Tymers once said, "No itch, strictly leather."

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Leather is really cold/hot in the summer and winter respectively, and my seats are kind of beat as it is right now.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I'm still trying to decide on front seats for my E30. I don't really want to go with E30 sports, and I want something to go with the houndstooth interior I picked up for it. Maybe I'll just drop the dime on some nice recaros or something.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

For a clean, one owner car with maintenance records and hooooooo, that seems like a really good price.

I'm afraid I don't know what hooooooo is :(

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

As an aside, why do you all seem to prefer the cloth seats? I've seen a lot of posts about M3's with cloth sport seats and really the only other seats I hear talked about are the Vaders. What gives? As the Big Tymers once said, "No itch, strictly leather."

Take leather seats out on the track and you'll understand why. They simply don't hold you in place, especially when it's something like nappa. I've got leather vaders on my M3 and I slide around in them. My ZHP with Alcantara/cloth held me in place perfectly.

I'd kill for a full cloth e36 M3 interior but that is about 2k. The e46 M3 cloth sells for even more these days.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

ngggg I want these seats for my E30, you can get adapter brackets to fit VW mk2 seats apparently.

Moxie Omen fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Thanks guys, for making me search Craigslist for E30s :cry:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3634830776.html