Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

stratdax posted:

I'm out of contact lens solution and I won't be able to get any more for about 3 months. However, I want to wear my contacts every day for about 12 hours a day until then. I've checked around and most websites say Saline Solution can be an alternative, which makes sense, but they only talk about as a temporary stop-gap, and not long term use. Are there any issues or concerns with using Saline for 3 months as contact lens solution? My contacts are just the regular soft contact Acuvue Oasis lenses.

And another small question, totally unrelated: Are there any websites or small programs where I can plug in a local time and it will tell me the time in a different time zone? Let's say I'm in Perth and I'm trying to schedule a call for next week; is there a site or program where I can plug in "February 28, 11am" and it will tell what that would be in Vancouver? Even if there's a google search string or something, that would work.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I usually just google "time in [major city]" and Google brings it up for me.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Is there a thread for goons looking for houseshares? I looked in LAN but there's nothing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm trying to find a specific statistic for an article I'm writing, but it's proving very difficult to find. I know it's a very long shot given how bizarrely specific this is, but I don't suppose anyone reading this thread would be able to point me to a source for the number of workers employed in soybean production in Brazil over time, could they?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

stratdax posted:

I'm out of contact lens solution and I won't be able to get any more for about 3 months. However, I want to wear my contacts every day for about 12 hours a day until then. I've checked around and most websites say Saline Solution can be an alternative, which makes sense, but they only talk about as a temporary stop-gap, and not long term use. Are there any issues or concerns with using Saline for 3 months as contact lens solution? My contacts are just the regular soft contact Acuvue Oasis lenses.

Not an answer but why can't you get any more? There should be some available at any grocery store.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Is there a way to tell Google that I never want to see results from specific domains? I do a fair number of tech searches and I do not want anything from experts-exchange.com to show up. Poking around in my settings I didn't see an easy manner of doing this, without typing "-[domain name]" at the end of every search.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

FreshFeesh posted:

Is there a way to tell Google that I never want to see results from specific domains? I do a fair number of tech searches and I do not want anything from experts-exchange.com to show up. Poking around in my settings I didn't see an easy manner of doing this, without typing "-[domain name]" at the end of every search.

http://www.google.com/reviews/t

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Manslaughter posted:

Not an answer but why can't you get any more? There should be some available at any grocery store.

I was thinking from his post that it was a 90-day jail sentence. :) But possibly he will be living in some third world area that he cannot get it. I would think if that is the case that he could bring it with him though.

I sometimes have used plain water in a pinch to re-wet a contact if it comes out or something and I don't have any solution but I wouldn't do that for more than one time. Also you will want to clean them every night anyways.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

FreshFeesh posted:

Using Personal Blocklist, the search page adds an option to block domains.

Please excuse the lovely highlighting.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

kinky sects posted:

I was wondering if anyone has experience with soundproofing/reduction. I just bought a side by each duplex and am going to be living in one side and would really like to do some things to the shared wall to make it feel less like a duplex. I have torn down the old sheetrock on the rental side and plan on doing 1 layer of mass loaded vinyl, sound isolation clips with hat channel, and caulking all the outlets. I can't tell if green glue and similar products are a scam are what. Any advice/experiences would be appreciated!

Thanks

Try The fix it fast thread over in DIY.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How long can a human survive in a microwave?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

the posted:

I don't know but a couple of years ago a Scottish company developed a giant microwave oven for industrial scale cooking. It'll be just a matter of time before some shmuck commits suicide in one of these.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

the posted:

This sounds like a perfect XKCD What If?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Well, what happens to animals, then? I know that's happened before, right? How long can a rat survive?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

the posted:

Well, what happens to animals, then? I know that's happened before, right? How long can a rat survive?

I don't know, but apparently a cat can survive at least five seconds:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2027821/Cat-survives-cooked-microwave-thug-Stephen-Stacey.html

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

KoB posted:

Gonna go for the obvious question, have you done a normal shut down? They wont always save their position during forced restarts/etc.

Shut downs, restarts from the Start menu, power outages, desktop resets every time.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Don't trust anything from the Daily Mail. It says that the cat was cooked from the inside out, and microwaves don't work that way. The whole thing is made up.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Don't trust anything from the Daily Mail. It says that the cat was cooked from the inside out, and microwaves don't work that way. The whole thing is made up.

The "whole thing" wasn't made up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-14594624

That story says six seconds, but otherwise the basic facts remain the same (man sticks cat in microwave, gets sentenced for it). Many other stories about it can be found by Googling.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

A story isn't made up just because the scientifically-disinclined writer makes a mistaken assumption.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

A story isn't made up just because the scientifically-disinclined writer makes a mistaken assumption.
Fair enough, but singed fur is different from "still emitting heat seven hours after the incident." I guess technically that could just mean the cat still alive and putting out heat like any other animal would but then it's deceptive writing. The Daily Mail is not known for accuracy. The original question asked what happens to animals when microwaved, and the first linked article was an exaggeration.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Poldarn posted:

Shut downs, restarts from the Start menu, power outages, desktop resets every time.

OK, two things to test.

1) arrange the icons how you want, reboot and then start in safe mode (F8 at startup, before the windows logo appears). If the icons are left the way you arranged them, run MSCONFIG, got to startup, disable all, reboot to normal mode. See if your icons re-arrange. If not, something in your startup list is causing the problem. Run malware scans in safe mode and try again.

2) If that doesn't work, as a test, try creating a new profile. copy your desktop icons from the old one, arrange how you like and reboot. Log back into the new profile. Problem solved? original profile is corrupted and needs to be repaired.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

stratdax posted:

From my limited knowledge this seems like a bad idea - Acuvue Oasys won't be conditioned by saline and they will be actively damaged by plain water, so they won't be oxygen permeable and you will damage your eyes

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

budgieinspector posted:

Just the general experience of the place, I suppose. Piney air, songbirds, park rangers' warnings... from pictures, it seems like the mountain goats aren't at all shy about people; did you find that to be the case? Anything worth mentioning, really--it's for this.

Its really beautiful (in Summer). Reminds me of Switzerland with all the wildflowers that were on the fields. Just spectacular scenery all around. Google places like Wedding Cake Island/St Marys Lake, Iceberg Lake, Logan pass to get an idea. There was one spot that they had chiseled a tunnel through a mountain that reminded me of something out of Lord of the Rings. Two big doors on each side (keeps snow out in winter) and then this big skinny rock tunnel that opens up to this vast outlook over a glacial lake and mountains.

In general the Going to the Sun road is one of the best roads in America. The wildlife is EVERYWHERE (I saw Grizzly Bears, Marmots, Moose, Goats, Deer and other stuff). The Mountain goats wouldnt come up to you but they would sit there with an inquisitive look and then run off. I had a Marmot sitting in the hiking trail just munching on some food. Didn't give a gently caress about me. Also had some bears foraging about 50 metres from the road when I was in my car with lots of people watching who were doing their own thing.

Park Rangers warnings were just like every single other park. Care in regards to hiking and seeing bears.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

vyelkin posted:

I'm trying to find a specific statistic for an article I'm writing, but it's proving very difficult to find. I know it's a very long shot given how bizarrely specific this is, but I don't suppose anyone reading this thread would be able to point me to a source for the number of workers employed in soybean production in Brazil over time, could they?

Stuck on my phone for the night, this is as close as I can get without pulling my hair out. HTH

http://www.ibge.gov.br/english/estatistica/economia/agropecuaria/censoagro/2006/defaulttab_censoagro.shtm

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
If I'm an amateur photo hobbyist, and I want to buy a copy of Adobe Photoshop, am I better off with CS6 or Elements?

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Fists Up posted:

There was one spot that they had chiseled a tunnel through a mountain that reminded me of something out of Lord of the Rings. Two big doors on each side (keeps snow out in winter) and then this big skinny rock tunnel that opens up to this vast outlook over a glacial lake and mountains.

In general the Going to the Sun road is one of the best roads in America.

This gets the gears turning--in fact, now that I think of it, given the 1,200 word limit, I might have to confine the story to the road. Are there spots where it abuts with a sheer cliff above? If so, is the lane next to it going toward or away from the center of the park? How's the traffic in summer--light, bumper-to-bumper, or does it depend on the day/time?

Thanks!

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Raimundus posted:

If I'm an amateur photo hobbyist, and I want to buy a copy of Adobe Photoshop, am I better off with CS6 or Elements?

What are you looking to do and why isn't Lightroom suitable?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raimundus posted:

Adobe has its entire CS2 suite up for free use nowadays: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Install Gentoo posted:

Adobe has its entire CS2 suite up for free use nowadays: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

For people who bought it.

Adobe posted:

The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

tarepanda posted:

It's pretty clear that they don't care about who actually bought it. Anyone can use these serial codes now if they're not using it for professional work.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

tarepanda posted:

What are you looking to do and why isn't Lightroom suitable?

I'm not totally up-to-speed on new software. "Amateur" is a key word, here.

Install Gentoo posted:

Also did not know this was available.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Raimundus posted:

I'm not totally up-to-speed on new software. "Amateur" is a key word, here.

If you're looking to do all kinds of photomanipulation and things with images in general, Photoshop.

If you want to do retouching, cataloging, lens correction, general post, then Lightroom.

Dorkroom PP Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053912

Dorkroom General: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3184774

Edit: In my opinion, Elements is a lukewarm piece of crap.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

tarepanda posted:

You're out of your goddamn mind if you think that's what people are actually going to use it for.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Thanks guys, apparently my Google google-fu was blind

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

TATPants posted:

There is an A/T here where you can talk to a pro about your lenses.

For your other question, Google came up with this for 'time zone calculator' which should satisfy your needs. You can't plug in dates, but time does not care what the date is.

Thanks for the A/T thread link! I'll ask there.
I need something more robust for the time zone thing; if I'm in New Caledonia and I want to Skype with a friend in Oregon, the International date line makes things confused. Are they on daylight savings? Am I? Soo....

This is perfect, thanks a lot!

Manslaughter posted:

Trastion posted:

I was thinking from his post that it was a 90-day jail sentence. :) But possibly he will be living in some third world area that he cannot get it. I would think if that is the case that he could bring it with him though.

I sometimes have used plain water in a pinch to re-wet a contact if it comes out or something and I don't have any solution but I wouldn't do that for more than one time. Also you will want to clean them every night anyways.

I'm not near any stores at all right now, and I won't be for the next three months. (Saline is shipped in for a different purpose, but I can get some of it). haha not prison - they would probably provide solution or glasses, so I'd be better off if it was.

Zegnar posted:

From my limited knowledge this seems like a bad idea - Acuvue Oasys won't be conditioned by saline and they will be actively damaged by plain water, so they won't be oxygen permeable and you will damage your eyes

Well drat. Oh well, I'll ask in the other thread anyway with crossed fingers.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 23, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Kickstarter question: if I pledge & the reward is to receive a product by a certain date and then the kickstarter is fully funded, will I actually receive a product? Is it legally binding or just a sort of promise? When will they take my money?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

stratdax posted:

I'm not near any stores at all right now, and I won't be for the next three months. (Saline is shipped in for a different purpose, but I can get some of it). haha not prison - they would probably provide solution or glasses, so I'd be better off if it was.
Okay, I'm super curious here, where the heck are you that you can't get contact solution (but can post) for three months? At sea? Antarctica?

edit: no pressure if it's a sensitive thing, I'm just dumbfounded by your situation

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Kickstarter question: if I pledge & the reward is to receive a product by a certain date and then the kickstarter is fully funded, will I actually receive a product? Is it legally binding or just a sort of promise? When will they take my money?

It's up to the creator of the project to either meet the reward promises, or refund your money, depending on whether or not the project was fully funded. Apparently, according to Kickstarter, it's a legal obligation, but I wouldn't really bet the house on that. I'm not sure when your money is taken out, but I'm assuming it's as soon as you donate, otherwise why would there be worry about being refunded if it's not successful?

Here's the FAQ where a lot more information is:

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter%20basics#Acco

het posted:

Okay, I'm super curious here, where the heck are you that you can't get contact solution (but can post) for three months? At sea? Antarctica?

edit: no pressure if it's a sensitive thing, I'm just dumbfounded by your situation

Not Antarctica, but hopefully that's next. I'm not 100% sure where exactly I am at the moment, but it's somewhere around here:
https://maps.google.com/?ll=-25.415989,123.890076&spn=1.577722,2.175293&t=h&z=9

Thankfully, I'm in a spot where mobile internet works!

stratdax fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 23, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Cakefool posted:

The legally binding part is "if the project reaches its goal, you will pay what you pledged on the day that the kickstarter ends". There's a sort of social contract that obligates the people running the Kickstarter to fulfill their goals, but I'm pretty sure it's not legally binding (or it's one of those "it's not legally binding until it's proven to be so through lengthy court battles" sorts of things).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007

stratdax posted:

Thanks for the A/T thread link! I'll ask there.
I need something more robust for the time zone thing; if I'm in New Caledonia and I want to Skype with a friend in Oregon, the International date line makes things confused. Are they on daylight savings? Am I? Soo....

Here's my small question. Are there many people from Oregon in New Caledonia?