Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Godholio posted:

Your title is going to get annoying.

Also, law school? You have a hardon for working in food service or what?

It depends on what you want to do and where you go and where you want to work, luckily Colorado has two top-100 law schools and plenty of work for lawyers. It's either MBA or JD for me and I'm leaning heavily to the latter after my business law class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The VA considers the academic year to start on 1 August. So if you're going to try any financial tomfoolery with dates, that's the one you have to work with. They're incredibly inflexible about things though.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
hahaha VIK's post are now annoying without even having to read them

bravo brother

bravo

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I turned off avatars 6 months ago. SA is way better now.

Related: My VA office rep was trying to tell me that if I got a scholarship that only went towards tuition, the VA would refund the amount of that scholarship to me in the form of a check. Does that seem reasonable?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

I turned off avatars 6 months ago. SA is way better now.

Related: My VA office rep was trying to tell me that if I got a scholarship that only went towards tuition, the VA would refund the amount of that scholarship to me in the form of a check. Does that seem reasonable?

Yeah, the same thing happens with grant money. They don't factor your grants/scholarships in when calculating how much they pay.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Do they do the same thing with government loans? I could use a lot of extra money.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Mad Pino Rage posted:

Do they do the same thing with government loans? I could use a lot of extra money.

Probably but this sounds like a bad idea.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mad Pino Rage posted:

Student loan interest rates aren't that great.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mad Pino Rage posted:

Yeah, just stick to the subsidized ones if you can though

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Godholio posted:

Student loan interest rates aren't that great.

Seriously. My sister is going to pay nearly $80k on a $30k loan if she sticks to the slow payment pace. Also student loans basically never go away, even with bankruptcy.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Seriously. My sister is going to pay nearly $80k on a $30k loan if she sticks to the slow payment pace. Also student loans basically never go away, even with bankruptcy.

Someone in my family made money off of subsidized loans in college v0v

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you take loans/grants/scholarships or whatever in conjunction with your GI Bill, provided that the GI Bill pays the balance entirely, you would get refunded the other stuff. This creates a negative balance, ie money owed to you.

Example: School costs 10,000/year. Take loans for 10,000 and grants for 5,000.

Normal Student: 10k goes to bill, 5k goes to student.
Veteran: GI Bill pays school, 15k goes to student.

Second Example: School costs 20,000/year. Take loans for 10,000 and grants for 5,000.

Normal Student: 15k goes to bill, student left with 5,000 out of pocket expenses.
Veteran: GI Bill pays 18,300. 1,700 goes from grants/loans to pay school, 13,300 goes to student.

In some cases, taking a student loan may be in your financial interest. If you are planning on returning to government service, particularly one that has SLRP (like State, Energy and other big departments) you can get them paid off at little effort to you. Loans might also be necessary for cost of living while in school; for example those with spouses or children.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I've done one full semester and am starting my second yet haven't received any money back. How do I get this Obamamoney?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

KetTarma posted:

I've done one full semester and am starting my second yet haven't received any money back. How do I get this Obamamoney?

You mean like loans and poo poo? You fill out your FAFSA, your school's financial aid department tells you how much they're offering in loans. You take those, plus your GI bill as usual, and you get the difference.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Are any of you familiar with this program: http://www.nsep.gov/ ?

Seems like a pretty good deal if you're interested in government work.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I guess the better question is "OH GOD I NEVER GOT THIS MONEY who do i yell at"

I get "lottery tuition assistance" every semester but I never see any cash for it. It just reduces the $ the GI bill has to pay. I'm trying to find out if that's "my" money or not.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KetTarma posted:

I guess the better question is "OH GOD I NEVER GOT THIS MONEY who do i yell at"

I get "lottery tuition assistance" every semester but I never see any cash for it. It just reduces the $ the GI bill has to pay. I'm trying to find out if that's "my" money or not.

Nope that's just your states fund to reduce tuition payments.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

vacation in kabul posted:

Nope that's just your states fund to reduce tuition payments.

My sadness has been multiplied ten-fold by your post.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I feel your pain. Here its called the College Opportunity Fund and the schools always deduct that first before billing the VA.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It used to be the other way around, but they changed it in 2011. It was part of the effort to reduce overall federal spending on veterans, in conjunction with the elimination of interval pay.

From 2009-2011, the VA was the first payer AND you got paid for a whole month if you were in school for a day. One of my veterans was getting pell grants because he was dirt poor, then a track and field scholarship because he was a good runner, a state grant because he won the aid lottery, and a smaller grant because he was a minority.

He cleared close to 20k extra a semester.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Vasudus posted:

If you take loans/grants/scholarships or whatever in conjunction with your GI Bill, provided that the GI Bill pays the balance entirely, you would get refunded the other stuff. This creates a negative balance, ie money owed to you.

Example: School costs 10,000/year. Take loans for 10,000 and grants for 5,000.

Normal Student: 10k goes to bill, 5k goes to student.
Veteran: GI Bill pays school, 15k goes to student.

Second Example: School costs 20,000/year. Take loans for 10,000 and grants for 5,000.

Normal Student: 15k goes to bill, student left with 5,000 out of pocket expenses.
Veteran: GI Bill pays 18,300. 1,700 goes from grants/loans to pay school, 13,300 goes to student.

In some cases, taking a student loan may be in your financial interest. If you are planning on returning to government service, particularly one that has SLRP (like State, Energy and other big departments) you can get them paid off at little effort to you. Loans might also be necessary for cost of living while in school; for example those with spouses or children.

Thanks Vasudus. I'm probably just going to tighten my belt, and hope I pick up a spot next academic year for some IT work or some intern CompSci position.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Does anyone know of mediocre/good engineering schools that will accept second bachelor's applications?

I'm still aiming to go overseas, but in case that falls through because of cost or bureaucracy I'd like to have some stateside schools in the pipeline.

So far everything either requires me to have already done a bunch of science and math in order to get in or they just straight up don't allow a second bachelor's.

The schools I've found that will let me in are Oregon State, U of Arizona, and Colorado State. I'm trying to go someplace not in the south or midwest.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

If you don't mind coastal South Carolina, I'm working on my second bachelors at The Citadel. They're limited to EE/CS/Civ-E though. Their ME program hasn't started up yet.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Hmm, I didn't know about that one although South Carolina is in the Danger Zone of southern states I want to avoid plus I'm looking for Chem E preferably although Nuclear is a bit intriguing as well.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I'll warn you that nuclear is extremely specialized. Also, if you want to live in an area that is near civilization, stay away from nuclear. Another problem is that nuclear power in America isn't doing so well lately. We have two new AP1000 plants being built but just shut down Crystal River nuclear generating station and will probably end up shutting down San Onofre nuclear generating station eventually too. Between increasingly burdensome regulatory costs and uneducated environmental groups, it isn't a field that looks to have much growth in the future. One of the big problems is that our nuclear reactor "fleet" is extremely old and needs to be replaced with much safer designs. The problem is that no one wants to sink a billion dollars into a new plant when natural gas is so much cheaper right now. It's pretty depressing.

Yes, I am a bitter ex-nuke.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Well you could always move to France of all places....I think they actually like it :shobon:

Also there are plenty of plants relatively close to civilization so not real sure where you got that from. Definitely commutable.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/nuclear-engineers.htm

And the job outlook is pretty good.

I wish I had done Petroleum engineering now tbqh because they're starting out making like 50% more than we do and I'm jealous. Too bad oil is usually in the shittiest places.

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 23, 2013

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
If I drop down to part time classes next quarter (just barely, 10 credits instead of 12) does it effect my Chapter 33 benefits? According to the website it looks like I'd still get the full BAH amount, and I assume they'd pay full tuition as normal (public school) so I guess there wouldn't be a difference. Would my remaining benefits get used up at the same rate as if I were full time?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

genderstomper58 posted:

Well you could always move to France of all places....I think they actually like it :shobon:

Also there are plenty of plants relatively close to civilization so not real sure where you got that from. Definitely commutable.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/nuclear-engineers.htm

And the job outlook is pretty good.

I wish I had done Petroleum engineering now tbqh because they're starting out making like 50% more than we do and I'm jealous. Too bad oil is usually in the shittiest places.

I guess "plenty" and "near civilization" is all relative. Most have a nearby town but nothing like what I'd want to live in. California and North Carolina are notable exceptions. I think there's one an hour south of Chicago. It just sucks that you generally have only a few options in each state and most aren't near a city.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

I guess "plenty" and "near civilization" is all relative. Most have a nearby town but nothing like what I'd want to live in. California and North Carolina are notable exceptions. I think there's one an hour south of Chicago. It just sucks that you generally have only a few options in each state and most aren't near a city.

Have you even looked @ the NRCs map. There are a lot of them near cities, not towns, cities.
It sucks if you wanna live on the west coast but the east coast is full of nuclear plants....also commuting from the burbs to BFE is much much better than commuting from the suburbs to a city.

E: Forgot this was the benefits thread my bad, if you want to reply that's coo I'll just respond somewhere else :shobon:

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 23, 2013

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

KetTarma posted:

I'll warn you that nuclear is extremely specialized. Also, if you want to live in an area that is near civilization, stay away from nuclear. Another problem is that nuclear power in America isn't doing so well lately. We have two new AP1000 plants being built but just shut down Crystal River nuclear generating station and will probably end up shutting down San Onofre nuclear generating station eventually too. Between increasingly burdensome regulatory costs and uneducated environmental groups, it isn't a field that looks to have much growth in the future. One of the big problems is that our nuclear reactor "fleet" is extremely old and needs to be replaced with much safer designs. The problem is that no one wants to sink a billion dollars into a new plant when natural gas is so much cheaper right now. It's pretty depressing.

Yes, I am a bitter ex-nuke.

Haha, yea I've heard things along the same lines. I'll likely stay away from it. Chemical is definitely the most interesting and then the few places that let you do a lot of hydro stuff with civil seem interesting. poo poo petroleum sounds cool if you got to work anywhere but the boonies.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

genderstomper58 posted:

Have you even looked @ the NRCs map. There are a lot of them near cities, not towns, cities.
It sucks if you wanna live on the west coast but the east coast is full of nuclear plants....also commuting from the burbs to BFE is much much better than commuting from the suburbs to a city.

E: Forgot this was the benefits thread my bad, if you want to reply that's coo I'll just respond somewhere else :shobon:

http://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/reactor/

Yeah dude. When I was EAOSing, I had a huge spreadsheet that I made up with distances, commute times, everything. I ended up with only 10 places that I'd want to apply to and none of them were hiring at the moment.

I'm not trying to start beef but I wanted him to know that if you have your heart set on living in a specific region or state, it wasn't as good of a choice as a more generalized discipline.

If you want, come hang out in this thread since its more relevant and Im sure more ex-nukes can talk than just me and moker:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3283345

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Anony Mouse posted:

If I drop down to part time classes next quarter (just barely, 10 credits instead of 12) does it effect my Chapter 33 benefits? According to the website it looks like I'd still get the full BAH amount, and I assume they'd pay full tuition as normal (public school) so I guess there wouldn't be a difference. Would my remaining benefits get used up at the same rate as if I were full time?

10 credits vs. 12 will result in you getting 80% of your BAH (10/12=83.3=80). You will still use days the same way. Tuition will still be paid as normal.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Hmm, I didn't know about that one although South Carolina is in the Danger Zone of southern states I want to avoid plus I'm looking for Chem E preferably although Nuclear is a bit intriguing as well.

My school (North Carolina State University), has both ChemE and NucE (Sp?). It's not in the top 10 but has a pretty good program. I think chemE is in the top 25 depending on the year.

Wow, NCState is ranked 6 on NucE: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/nuclear-engineering-rankings

HClChicken fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 24, 2013

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Vasudus posted:

10 credits vs. 12 will result in you getting 80% of your BAH (10/12=83.3=80). You will still use days the same way. Tuition will still be paid as normal.
Ugh. Well it might be worth it just so I'm not drowning in studio classes for once. I'll find out if it would effect my financial aid and then decide what to do.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Anony Mouse posted:

Ugh. Well it might be worth it just so I'm not drowning in studio classes for once. I'll find out if it would effect my financial aid and then decide what to do.

Honestly, unless you HAVE to, I would stay full time. Take a bullshit class for funsies if you need to.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

HClChicken posted:

My school (North Carolina State University), has both ChemE and NucE (Sp?). It's not in the top 10 but has a pretty good program. I think chemE is in the top 25 depending on the year.

Wow, NCState is ranked 6 on NucE: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/nuclear-engineering-rankings

Oh I'd definitely go to NC state, but I'd have to go to another school first to get the required amount of math/science classes before they'd let me in. I might still end up there but I'm trying to find schools that'll just let me in straight away. More and more it's looking like Oregon State is where I'll end up. They bend over backwards for vets and are a decent engineering school.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Vasudus posted:

Honestly, unless you HAVE to, I would stay full time. Take a bullshit class for funsies if you need to.

I thought the GI bill will only pay for classes that's on your degree plan.

ARE YOU LYING TO ME???

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Oh I'd definitely go to NC state, but I'd have to go to another school first to get the required amount of math/science classes before they'd let me in. I might still end up there but I'm trying to find schools that'll just let me in straight away. More and more it's looking like Oregon State is where I'll end up. They bend over backwards for vets and are a decent engineering school.

Try and get in touch with one of the advisors and ask what they require. Even though I'm not matriculated while in the military I can take up to 6 SH per semester. I was able to take sophmore level engineering courses doing this.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

KetTarma posted:

I thought the GI bill will only pay for classes that's on your degree plan.

ARE YOU LYING TO ME???

You can't have electives peripherally related to your degree in your degree plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I feel like either my school is atypical or I do not understand something.

I have a list of every class I need to graduate. That's my degree plan. On it, there are only two classes that do not have pre-reqs that I could take any time other than the one English literature 2 class I'm taking in the summer.

• Locked thread