Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Hewlett posted:

She could have also been spooked and panicked from having a gun to her head, not to mention how quickly the whole situation happened anyway. There are all number of reasons.

That's what I was saying - a gun to your head panics you and makes you unable to focus, likely weakening your mental state. The point above about her powers causing Kay to tense up and pull the trigger are another good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Count me as one of the fans of this movie. I was really unsure if I would as I loved the cheesy Stalone version of the movie, not as a comic adaption but just a b rate, but I was blown away. I do hope there is a sequel at some point as the guy who played Dredd was top notch in my book.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You may not have realized this, but Karl Urban (who played Dredd) is also Dr McCoy in the new Star Trek movies. He definitely has some range on top of the talent.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

moths posted:

You may not have realized this, but Karl Urban (who played Dredd) is also Dr McCoy in the new Star Trek movies. He definitely has some range on top of the talent.

And Eomer in Lord of the Rings. Loved him since then.

I figure Anderson didn't use her powers against Kay because the gun made it too volatile, but he got the jump on them to begin with because they were distracted by a bigger threat, so it takes focus do do that stuff. She needed to get calm to take back the advantage so she put up no struggle and saved her fight for later.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Croisquessein posted:

And Eomer in Lord of the Rings. Loved him since then.

I knew he was Eomer before he was cast as Dredd, and I was very dubious - I honestly didn't believe he had the chin for it. Dude must have been lifting weights with his mandible for weeks.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Jedit posted:

I knew he was Eomer before he was cast as Dredd, and I was very dubious - I honestly didn't believe he had the chin for it. Dude must have been lifting weights with his mandible for weeks.

I had the opposite reaction. I had my doubts about him playing McCoy, and he kicked rear end at that, so now I assume he can do anything.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

moths posted:

To be fair, old McCoy was like the scowlinist character on Star Trek by a wide margin.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
"I'm a Judge, not a milkman, creep."

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jedit posted:

Weirdest critique ever, but I was disappointed with Urban's jaw line. His throat skin looked a little too loose, like his body fat percentage was too high for someone as fit as Dredd. I feel like such a douche for saying that.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KoRMaK posted:

Weirdest critique ever, but I was disappointed with Urban's jaw line. His throat skin looked a little too loose, like his body fat percentage was too high for someone as fit as Dredd. I feel like such a douche for saying that.

Never feel ashamed for making a critique like that.

I felt the same way when I saw Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now.

VVVV - You don't see Karl Urban's face in Dredd either, but it's still obvious he's fat. :smugbert:

Alcholism Rocks fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 21, 2013

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Alcholism Rocks posted:

Never feel ashamed for making a critique like that.

I felt the same way when I saw Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now.

Unless you're watching the Redux version I don't even think you see Brando's face in full light.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Saw this film finally, and although the action was a little underwhelming, I loved the characters. I'm not familiar with the comics but the idea of Dredd never growing up, never growing a heart and never learning a life lesson is wonderfully hilarious to me. At first I thought it was a mistake that Anderson was the one with all the struggle and drama, but in hindsight it was more clever that she has the major character arc and Dredd doesn't. Her psychic powers allow her to have sympathy for the criminals and be aware of extenuating circumstances, etc... her becoming "aware" of criminals' situations automatically gives her a better appreciation of justice for them. Totally the opposite of Dredd and it's incredible how these two opposites are paired together.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 22, 2013

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

I saw a hotdog stand in the food court and I'm not sure how they raise cattle or import meat when they're in a severely overpopulated city surrounded by desert and apparently cut off from other cities...

quote:

resyk

:gonk:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Saw this film finally, and although the action was a little underwhelming, I loved the characters. I'm not familiar with the comics but the idea of Dredd never growing up, never growing a heart and never learning a life lesson is wonderfully hilarious to me. At first I thought it was a mistake that Anderson was the one with all the struggle and drama, but in hindsight it was more clever that she has the major character arc and Dredd doesn't. Her psychic powers allow her to have sympathy for the criminals and be aware of extenuating circumstances, etc... her becoming "aware" of criminals' situations automatically gives her a better appreciation of justice for them. Totally the opposite of Dredd and it's incredible how these two opposites are paired together.
I specifically liked it because they never tried to grow Dredd as a character. They never over-extended him. Anderson definitely filled the void if you need that, but I could just watch movie after movie of Dredd citing law and gassing creeps. There is so much emotion around him, and that is why the world is so perverted, that him not having much emotion is what makes him unique. So the rest of the world actually could fill the emotional void left by Dredd as he tries to be as impartial as possible. As soon as they try to "grow" Dredd, that means the whole motivation for the movie production has been tainted by execs yelling "SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL" and the awesomeness will be lost. This movie did such a good job at staying right where it needed to be and dodged so many of the things that ruin good plots. This can be all summed up (for me) by one thing: Urban never took off the mask. Most movies and hell even the actor and his agents would want their face to be seen, but in doing so that is a meta-movie move. It's a marketing gimmick for the actor playing the role. Instead they never had Urban do that, which just speaks so much to how well produced this movie was. Dredd didn't need to take off the mask at any point. In fact it would be a bad idea because it would make him vulnerable, and I'm sure Dredd knows this very well. Did you guys notice the graze marks on the side of his helmet? I think they are from bullets.

I thought the city, vehicles and Dredd's bike were great too because they allude to a future that isn't all that different than ours. Great new technology, some lofty but ultimately failed goals, and things just always somehow stay the same, because humans are always the same.

Croisquessein posted:

I saw a hotdog stand in the food court and I'm not sure how they raise cattle or import meat when they're in a severely overpopulated city surrounded by desert and apparently cut off from other cities...

Oh god I went through the whole movie, a ba-jillion times, and didn't know what resyk meant. I thought it was like cremation or they would bring them back to life (I don't know I think some recent PS2 lore seeped in). RESYK IS PEOPLE!

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 22, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Seriously, I can't overstate how brilliant it was that Anderson is psychic. Knowing that the woman whose apartment they barge in on is taking care of the baby of the man they executed earlier gives her a completely different view of dispensing justice than Dredd, who just doesn't give a poo poo.

edit:

So... got a question. Does Anderson hand in her badge at the end because she thinks she failed, or is she quitting because she decided that she didn't want to be a judge anymore after the poo poo she went through?

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Because she thinks she failed, in the final sequence you can see her walking out to from what's probably a sector house as a full judge.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Croisquessein posted:

KoRMaK posted:

Oh god I went through the whole movie, a ba-jillion times, and didn't know what resyk meant. I thought it was like cremation or they would bring them back to life (I don't know I think some recent PS2 lore seeped in). RESYK IS PEOPLE!

Resyk doesn't process bodies into food - corpses are broken down into valuable, reusable components for industry, etc. Food in Mega-City One is all things like various sorts of synthetic stuff, meats and other crap grown at farms in places like the cursed earth, or made from other kinds of gross crud. Sugar is illegal. Coffee is illegal.

Resyk does not make food out of dead citizens, citizen. Stop spreading rumors or I'll put you in the cubes.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Plenty of meat sources in Mega City One too (hope you like giant mutant rat). As bad as the Dredd universe is, eating human flesh is still frowned upon.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There was a story in the comic ('Gunge') about entrepreneur Otto Sump turning disgusting but edible stuff like rats, mould, spiders and slugs into food, and most citizens being fine with it partly because of food shortages, but mostly because they're suckers for a clever ad campaign.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Payndz posted:

There was a story in the comic ('Gunge') about entrepreneur Otto Sump turning disgusting but edible stuff like rats, mould, spiders and slugs into food, and most citizens being fine with it partly because of food shortages, but mostly because they're suckers for a clever ad campaign.
Enough people are disgusted by it for Sump to go out of business though. The Justice Department, on finding the stuff to be actually pretty nutritious, responds with a relabelling exercise to sell the exact same 'meat' as 'Justice Department Approved' and everyone buys it again.

Oh hey, a plot line that is actually really relevant right now :v:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Steve Yun posted:

I think Wagner once said that Dredd has developed over the years, but at a glacial pace (it maybe simply be because the writers would otherwise get really bored). If you read some old comics from the 80s and compare them with comics from the 00s, you'd say "yeah, there something different about him".

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Arschlochkind posted:

Resyk doesn't process bodies into food - corpses are broken down into valuable, reusable components for industry, etc. Food in Mega-City One is all things like various sorts of synthetic stuff, meats and other crap grown at farms in places like the cursed earth, or made from other kinds of gross crud. Sugar is illegal. Coffee is illegal.

Resyk does not make food out of dead citizens, citizen. Stop spreading rumors or I'll put you in the cubes.

Is there a particular reason why the comics have sugar and coffee being illegal?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

Is there a particular reason why the comics have sugar and coffee being illegal?

Addictiveness and the fact that they are unhealthy for you.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Baron Bifford posted:

I think Wagner once said that Dredd has developed over the years, but at a glacial pace (it maybe simply be because the writers would otherwise get really bored). If you read some old comics from the 80s and compare them with comics from the 00s, you'd say "yeah, there something different about him".

Dredd's a pretty vastly different character from his earlier publishing history and his attitudes and characterization have changed with almost every major storyline.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Terror Sweat posted:

Addictiveness and the fact that they are unhealthy for you.

Although tobacco is not illegal. However, you can only smoke it in an official Smokatorium where everyone has to wear a special helmet so that nobody else - including the other smokers - inhales their smoke. Juves caught smoking in public sometimes have their sentence in the cubes commuted to one minute in a Smokatorium without a helmet, which is pretty good for putting most of them off.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Kegluneq posted:

Plenty of meat sources in Mega City One too (hope you like giant mutant rat). As bad as the Dredd universe is, eating human flesh is still frowned upon.

I knida thought resyk was simply turning the bodies into fertilizer / bone meal. Dead person does make for a very neat nutrition source for crops or even animals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_meal

800 million humans mean a lot of dead ones and that pretty much gives you all the base for production you could want.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
I just saw this and I'm loving hating myself for not seeing this on the big screen. Just checked its boxoffice results, and unfortunately a sequel looks out of the question. Bummer.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cat Terrist posted:

I knida thought resyk was simply turning the bodies into fertilizer / bone meal. Dead person does make for a very neat nutrition source for crops or even animals.
There's an TV reporter's aside in (I think) 'Doomsday' along the lines of "After the break, 100 unexpected ways dead people are used by Resyk. You could be salving your lips with them right now!" :gonk:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Considering the nature of Judge Dredd, the only way resyk would make people into food would be if eating human flesh was noted to be illegal.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

Considering the nature of Judge Dredd, the only way resyk would make people into food would be if eating human flesh was noted to be illegal.

Which it is.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I think we've found the plot to the sequel.

Seriously, if they do a sequel (I doubt it) they should take note of this one: Just make it a small self-contained 90 minute adventure.

Don't go all, "ONE MAN... AGAINST A WORLD GONE BAD" bullshit.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If this movie's box office is any indication, they won't have the money to make a large-scale epic sequel anyway.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Vegetable posted:

If this movie's box office is any indication, they won't have the money to make a large-scale epic sequel anyway.
Perfect opportunity to do 'The Cursed Earth', then. A couple of VFX shots of MC1 and MC2 at the beginning and end, then the rest of the film is filmed on a small budget in a desert wasteland with some mutants, Mount Rushmore and the occasional dinosaur. (Though I suppose they might actually have to buy the rights to Damnation Alley, unlike the comic. :v: )

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Payndz posted:

Perfect opportunity to do 'The Cursed Earth', then. A couple of VFX shots of MC1 and MC2 at the beginning and end, then the rest of the film is filmed on a small budget in a desert wasteland with some mutants, Mount Rushmore and the occasional dinosaur. (Though I suppose they might actually have to buy the rights to Damnation Alley, unlike the comic. :v: )

Nothing cheap about filming in the desert.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bugblatter posted:

Nothing cheap about filming in the desert.
Film it in any vaguely desolate landscape that's within easy reach of amenities in a state/country with non-union labour, then. You don't have to pack everyone off to the Sahara to find somewhere sandy.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Croisquessein posted:

Eat recycled food, it's good for the environment and okay for you! :v:

Seriously though, it's canon that Munce (the setting's meat substitute) is made from head-shaped plants/veg/fungus/whatever grown on farms out in the Cursed Earth.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 23, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kerbtree posted:

Eat recycled food, it's good for the environment and okay for you! :v:

Seriously though, it's canon that Munce (the setting's meat substitute) is made from head-shaped plants/veg/fungus/whatever grown on farms out in the Cursed Earth.

Nothing helps the appetite than seeing the "Organically Grown in the Cursed Earth" label.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Im starting to feel guilty about not going to see this in the theater. It just looked cheesy and the tacked on 3D idea really soured me. I want a sequel or nine and I promise to go see them opening weekend at full price and bring friends. Please :[

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Im starting to feel guilty about not going to see this in the theater. It just looked cheesy and the tacked on 3D idea really soured me. I want a sequel or nine and I promise to go see them opening weekend at full price and bring friends. Please :[

Me too, I just didn't care to see it and almost didn't watch it when a friend Netflix'd it. Now I regret not seeing all those great Slo Mo scenes in 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Croisquessein posted:

Me too, I just didn't care to see it and almost didn't watch it when a friend Netflix'd it. Now I regret not seeing all those great Slo Mo scenes in 3D.

Well, go get it on blu-ray, it's a combined 2d/3d disc, so sooner or later, you'll get to see it 'properly'.

• Locked thread