Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Azure_Horizon posted:

The whole Time Kompression idea was reasonable? The ending of FF8 is "everything is fine because."

The amount of poo poo people fling at the ending of 13 always astounds me when 8 is literally right there. I loved 8 but come the gently caress on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

rargphlam posted:

Yeah, and while it makes the panic attack over shooting Edea make more sense as he knew it was the woman who basically raised him,

No, it still doesn't make sense, because he literally says "this always happens," indicating that he has choked and failed to shoot his target multiple times, making him the world's shittiest sniper.

Man, I hate the entire FF8 cast so much.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Failboattootoot posted:

The amount of poo poo people fling at the ending of 13 always astounds me when 8 is literally right there. I loved 8 but come the gently caress on.

XIII was at least a literal deus ex machina. FF8 was just what the gently caress.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
FFVIII-2 will be hidden as an HD remake where Squall and co. break the time loop and prevent the events of the game from ever happening and it will be heralded as the greatest FF forever and ever.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SpazmasterX posted:

FFVIII-2 will be hidden as an HD remake where Squall and co. break the time loop and prevent the events of the game from ever happening and it will be heralded as the greatest FF forever and ever.

Just a rag tag family of soldiers fighting Witches and monsters from the moon?

I'd be up for it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Schwartzcough posted:

No, it still doesn't make sense, because he literally says "this always happens," indicating that he has choked and failed to shoot his target multiple times, making him the world's shittiest sniper.

This is also one of those stupid battle/cutscene incongruities; he has absolutely no problem blowing away all those random mooks with a shotgun, but suddenly he goes all weak-kneed when somebody dying would matter.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zombies' Downfall posted:

This is also one of those stupid battle/cutscene incongruities; he has absolutely no problem blowing away all those random mooks with a shotgun, but suddenly he goes all weak-kneed when somebody dying would matter.

I think it's the sniper rifle not the act of shooting. Waaaaaay too Freudian for Irving.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

rargphlam posted:

discs 3 and 4 feel really compressed (heh)

A part of me likes to imagine that FFVIII ended at the end of disc 2, after the Garden vs Garden fight. Edea was really killed, Galbadia garden was routed and everyone lived happily ever after.

Leal fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 22, 2013

Blind the Thief
Oct 9, 2012

But I wonder how the ghost fit inside a bottle?

Schwartzcough posted:

I always got the impression that Irvine was lying to Squall because it is way more convenient in that moment to blow it off than to try and explain that he was trying to shoot the woman that raised him. The way I see it there are two options: 1) his "this always happens" line is untrue because otherwise he wouldn't have been chosen for the job, or 2) he was only chosen by the headmaster of Galbadia as some sort of conspiracy plot to pit him with Squall and the gang.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I agree.

It was an amazing idea.

To screw up the Mana formula? Yes. It was a first in a long degradation of the Mana series. It might not have blocked English Mana 2 (SD 3) from happening and it really doesn't deserve it's reputation as much but that is what history has given it and even that is giving it far too much praise.

Could a modern-era themed Secret of Mana game work? Sure, but removing the Co-Op, magic system and the crisp graphics and replacing them with a horrifying vision of our Mud Coloured present graphics wise and a item magic system that is wonky as gently caress is not how to do it.

And the music? What music?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Blind the Thief posted:

2) he was only chosen by the headmaster of Galbadia as some sort of conspiracy plot to pit him with Squall and the gang.
If I had a sniper who shat himself instead of sniping poo poo at crunch time, I'd drop his rear end off with the most convenient passerby, too.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

ConanThe3rd posted:

To screw up the Mana formula? Yes. It was a first in a long degradation of the Mana series.

Evermore didn't "degrade" Mana. The World of Mana campaign completely bombed and killed that series within two years.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 22, 2013

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Shaezerus posted:

Evermore didn't "degrade" Mana. The World of Mana campaign completely bombed and killed that series within two years.

Yeah, if Secret of Evermore degraded it all the games after Legend of Mana (which was itself sort of a weird misstep, but a charming game with potential) drug it out behind the toolshed and put a bullet in its head.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Levantine posted:

5 and 6 have been sitting in some weird limbo for a long time. Every other game in the series up to 4 has seen remake after remake and two of the top tier entries were last seen on GBA.

To be fair it's only been a little over 6 years since 6's GBA release.

Re: Mystic Quest, my most powerful memory of that game other than the music is that it was a crash course in how goddamn irritating it is when every mook has a crippling status attack. Much like Dimensions now!

Dross fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 22, 2013

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Failboattootoot posted:

They weren't kids when they played 13.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Maybe he's referring to the Kompressed timeline that is now looping quicker and quicker and knows that whenever he gets to this part of the timeline he can't bring himself to shoot. Maybe Irvine is the actual protagonist of FFVIII?

No, because thats stupider than the actual plot somehow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maybe Irvine was dead all along and Selphie is Ultimecia.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Or maybe 8 is just a bad game and to give it more thought than laughing when Kefka calls Squall a poser is probably giving it more than it deserves.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I still maintain that Ultimecia is a cheeseburger and she compressed time to stop herself from rotting and to create a world in which there would be no other entities who might be inclined to eat her.

There's no rule that explicitly says that cheeseburgers can't be sorceresses.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Seifer was the best character in FFVIIII and it should have been about him, Fujin and Raijin.

Also the ending of FFVIII had Laguna at Raine's grave as he flashbacks to proposing to her.
...it always chokes me up.

XIII's ending only chokes me with bullshit.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Shaezerus posted:

Evermore was also a fantastic game. Jeremy Soule should be proud to have done the game justice with such great music.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Evermore was also a fantastic game. Jeremy Soule should be proud to have done the game justice with such great music.

The only complaint I've ever really seen vocalized against Evermore is that it wasn't Secret of Mana. I thought it was a fabulous game at the time with wonderfully dark atmosphere. I still replay it to this day.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Levantine posted:

The only complaint I've ever really seen vocalized against Evermore is that it wasn't Secret of Mana. I thought it was a fabulous game at the time with wonderfully dark atmosphere. I still replay it to this day.

The only complaint, in relation to Secret of Mana, that I have ever had with Evermore was why didn't they allow it to be played 2 players.

I still remember my young self renting the game with my friend (who had also gone through all of Secret of Mana in co-op with me), getting to the pre-historic era and hitting start on player 2 expecting the little [2] icon to appear on the Dog's portrait... but it never did.

:negative:

Apart from that Evermore is stellar.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh yeah, Evermore is fuckin' awesome. I just wish Alchemy wasn't so prohibitively expensive to the point where you only ever use Crush because it has the best price::power ratio in the game.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Happy Blue Cow posted:

The only complaint, in relation to Secret of Mana, that I have ever had with Evermore was why didn't they allow it to be played 2 players.

I still remember my young self renting the game with my friend (who had also gone through all of Secret of Mana in co-op with me), getting to the pre-historic era and hitting start on player 2 expecting the little [2] icon to appear on the Dog's portrait... but it never did.

:negative:

Apart from that Evermore is stellar.

I'm pretty sure a 2-player patch exists, but yeah leaving it out of the release version was an egregious mistake.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evermore is a really interesting game. It's flawed but it's flawed in ways which are oddly engrossing. The Alchemy system is frankly a bit poo poo and the environments obtuse but I'd love to see it get another shot.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'd rather See SD 3 finally get some sort of english release, frankly.

The Japanese can get a re-release of Evermore in exchange, it's totaly fair.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 22, 2013

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I forgot it wasn't co-op, my bad. I had that complaint back then too, come to think of it. I remember reading about Seiken Densetsu 3 in EGM or something at the time and marvelling at the screenshots, then being really disappointed when it didn't make it over here.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's weird, SD3 doesn't have three-player multitap support by default either. And then Legend of Mana has a really gutted, lovely co-op where player 2 just hops in as whatever random guest character and has limited gear options and stuff compared to a real player.

How did they not realize that multiplayer was a big part of why everybody loved Secret of Mana?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Final Fantasy VIII's characterization makes FFVII's look Shakespearian in comparison

Also one of my favorite parts about Evermore was all the extremely obtuse little secrets, like Sting and randomly finding chocobo eggs in bushels of rice and the weird trading quests. And multiple confusing mazes. Also the dog was OP as all hell. Of course then they threw a boss at you like halfway through who the dog can't reach and is hard as hell. And of course the dumb meta-humor. I wish that game would get a VC release with two player :swoon:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Final Fantasy VIII's characterization makes FFVII's look Shakespearian in comparison

I don't remember the part in Shakespeare where it turns out the protagonist is an amalgamation of a space alien, a dead guy, and another dead guy.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Barudak posted:

I don't remember the part in Shakespeare where it turns out the protagonist is an amalgamation of a space alien, a dead guy, and another dead guy.

I believe that happened in A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Or maybe King Lear, after Lear goes crazy and lives in the woods.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also one of my favorite parts about Evermore was all the extremely obtuse little secrets, like Sting and randomly finding chocobo eggs in bushels of rice and the weird trading quests. And multiple confusing mazes. Also the dog was OP as all hell. Of course then they threw a boss at you like halfway through who the dog can't reach and is hard as hell. And of course the dumb meta-humor. I wish that game would get a VC release with two player :swoon:

Speaking of obtuse secrets, I discovered recently that the strange skeleton in that rowboat, who can bring you across the desert instantly instead of arduously having to go by foot, will outright reject taking you if you've named your main character something profane, even if you got the item he wants... :aaa:

More games need to do that.

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 22, 2013

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It's weird, SD3 doesn't have three-player multitap support by default either. And then Legend of Mana has a really gutted, lovely co-op where player 2 just hops in as whatever random guest character and has limited gear options and stuff compared to a real player.

How did they not realize that multiplayer was a big part of why everybody loved Secret of Mana?

You could bring in a character from another save file in LoM. Doesn't really help you when the game forces allies on you, but it's there.

But having a second player control allies, even as poorly equipped as they are, is better than letting the AI do its thing since the AI in that game is just that incompetent.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm about to get started on Dimensions - any tips or suggestions starting out?

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
I hate the way the sprite's hair bobs in Evermore. It was a fun game but that bugged me constantly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Levantine posted:

I'm about to get started on Dimensions - any tips or suggestions starting out?

There is a grand total of 1 tough boss fight in the game. It is the chapter closer for when you get the Dancer. Do not ever use her to do anything, just keep passing her turn so that the second her special prompt is necessary you can do it. Failing to do so will result in a very, very fast party wipe unless you are supremely over leveled for that area.

You aren't going to earn enough JP in the maingame and there is no real incentive to do anything postgame to master more than 2 or 3 jobs. Therefore pick a specialty (physical attacks, magic) and stick with it for each character.

Everyone should take Red Mage to level 3, it gives you the single most useful job ability for 90% of the game.

Other than that the game is incredibly easy so using gamebreaking skills or set ups or whatever is totally meaningless.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

pretend to care posted:

I hate the way the sprite's hair bobs in Evermore. It was a fun game but that bugged me constantly.

Hey, he cares about how pretty his hair is, I can dig that.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

He clearly conditions his hair, otherwise he wouldn't be able to get that shine and bounce to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
It does look pretty good considering you spend the whole game trudging him through deserts and swamps and poo poo...