Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I thought Spess Mareens WAS a purestrain SA thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dominion posted:

I thought Spess Mareens WAS a purestrain SA thing.

Nah man, it's like Christianity. It was interesting when that one guy was doing it years ago... But now it has gone to the dogs.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Gate posted:

Our very own SRM made the 40k Dawn of Awesome videos, I believe, which is where I first saw the whole 'spess mahrines' thing on the web. Also, previous threads came up with poo poo like the Vomitmarines and a lot of other dumb jokes. People keep trying to be all highbrow with their 40k humor and it just irks me.
There was a bit of a Boreale meme going on with 4chan and Youtube folks, and a lot of Youtube Poops of Boreale and stuff. My Dawn of Awesome cartoons just propagated it and did something different with it. I'm thinking of doing a couple more, if the inspiration strikes.
I like how much better this model is than the stock GW one. I've never liked that stocky, static model, and this is wonderful. Just replace his sword with the Dark Vengeance Chaos Lord's sword and you're all set for 40k.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Nope, dawn of awesome is still funny quit being grumpy old goobers!

It's way more annoying being that guy who can't stand anything remotely popular.

See now that is worth the money to me. Two awesome models and a diorama too? Mmmmmm!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Spess can be funny but it's awkward to see it used in a list like that I guess, but I'm otherwise OK with it. In other news,

:getin:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Love that sniper model. After seeing how badass snipers are in Infinity, I wish they had a bit more kick in 40k.

I do love me some Vindicare, though.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

That poo poo is rad, but it only serves to remind me that they haven't yet done models for Horus, Fulgrim, and Mortarion. I know Horus stayed on his barge and Fulgrim wasn't even at Isstvan 3 when the poo poo started, but Mortarion descended to the surface to kick loyalist rear end alongside Angron, so they should at least release him.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
The best part of that Abaddon model is that it uses the same weapons types as normal Abaddon. No conversion necessary.

PeterWeller posted:

That poo poo is rad, but it only serves to remind me that they haven't yet done models for Horus, Fulgrim, and Mortarion. I know Horus stayed on his barge and Fulgrim wasn't even at Isstvan 3 when the poo poo started, but Mortarion descended to the surface to kick loyalist rear end alongside Angron, so they should at least release him.

Someone said earler that FW had basically confirmed working on Fulgrim, so he Mort and Horus are all pretty much guaranteed models.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
That's some really lovely editing in the sentence about the Sniper's kit.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Schizotek posted:

Someone said earler that FW had basically confirmed working on Fulgrim, so he Mort and Horus are all pretty much guaranteed models.

I figured we're guaranteed to eventually get them (along with all the other primarchs as the HH series progresses), but Betrayal has been out for months now. This is a really minor complaint, mind you, and it's mainly motivated by how great Angron looks.

Lungboy posted:

That's some really lovely editing in the sentence about the Sniper's kit.

Holy poo poo it is. That is GW editing.txt

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

I figured we're guaranteed to eventually get them (along with all the other primarchs as the HH series progresses), but Betrayal has been out for months now. This is a really minor complaint, mind you, and it's mainly motivated by how great Angron looks.

Shame the Black Legion stuff is Sons of Horus. A Luna Wolf contemptor dreadnought would have made a good Space Wolf stand in until they get to Prospero.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
gently caress it. I'm playing 30k.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, I too really want to them to release Fulgrim and Mortarion for hobby purposes.
But I want Kurze most.

On a different note, is there a reason to take purgation squads over purifiers?
Especially when you get incinerators for free.

Is throwing them in a razorback and then hurling them at the enemy to release the emperor's fiery wrath a viable tactic, or am I better off going with psycannons?

Manifest fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 22, 2013

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
As much as I like the character sculpts for the Heresy models, I really hate the "throw them on a diorama base, bump the cost up 15 quid."

Hooray for an actually dynamic terminator sculpt for once. Boo for Abbadon's topknot not being tall enough.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

SRM posted:

There was a bit of a Boreale meme going on with 4chan and Youtube folks, and a lot of Youtube Poops of Boreale and stuff. My Dawn of Awesome cartoons just propagated it and did something different with it. I'm thinking of doing a couple more, if the inspiration strikes.

You should do a kickstarter.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Manifest posted:

Yeah, I too really want to them to release Fulgrim and Mortarion for hobby purposes.

Does anyone know if they will be doing the daemon prince forms for the primarchs? Otherwise I will have to practice sculpting snake tails and bosoms for Fulgrim.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

Any indication of whether the next book is going to be more Istvaan or Prospero? I really want to be able to properly run Blood Ravens :getin:

VVV Darn. Ah well, at least it's moving at a good kick.VVV

Arbite fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 23, 2013

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Arbite posted:

Any indication of whether the next book is going to be more Istvaan or Prospero? I really want to be able to properly run Blood Ravens :getin:

Next is the first part of Istvaan 5, with Word Bearers, Iron Hands, Salamanders and Night Lords.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

Next is the first part of Istvaan 5, with Word Bearers, Iron Hands, Salamanders and Night Lords.

UNNNNNNF that's gonna be awesome. Ever since I first discovered this poo poo way back in 1994, I have wanted to do a proper Night Lords army.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Oh hey, Chaos Daemon pre-orders are up. There's even 4 different versions of the LE codex, hah. Kind of amazing that we still don't have any solid rumors about the army.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Mango Polo posted:

Oh hey, Chaos Daemon pre-orders are up. There's even 4 different versions of the LE codex, hah. Kind of amazing that we still don't have any solid rumors about the army.

Ironically having four different covers makes me want to buy the LE Codex even less. It's not really that surprising that we don't have rules rumors, the last time we had a decent leak was Grey Knights and they clamped down on that poo poo. It sucks, but what can you do.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm totally buying a box of the big flies just to paint.

And I'm not adding the plaguebearers onto their backs. I just want giant botflies.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Phyresis posted:

Ironically having four different covers makes me want to buy the LE Codex even less. It's not really that surprising that we don't have rules rumors, the last time we had a decent leak was Grey Knights and they clamped down on that poo poo. It sucks, but what can you do.

We actually had a pretty good view of Chaos Space Marines before their release including lots of details. Dark Angels and now Daemons though, basically nothing except for some models.

Very much looking forward to this codex but not because of the new models. I mostly want good bloodcrushers and bloodletters to accompany my jugger lord, though the Tzeentch herald and flies are growing on me. Removing the riders definitely improves their looks.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

The fly heads without the probosci look a lot better but the probosci are probably going to be really good must-take options or something. The flames on the Burning Chariot looks better with normal "flame" colors, I guess, but that doesn't fix the fact that the flames are all bizarre and flat, probably to fit on the sprue? Regardless, it looks terrible. Go and rotate it around in 360° view, it's laughable.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Phyresis posted:

The fly heads without the probosci look a lot better but the probosci are probably going to be really good must-take options or something. The flames on the Burning Chariot looks better with normal "flame" colors, I guess, but that doesn't fix the fact that the flames are all bizarre and flat, probably to fit on the sprue? Regardless, it looks terrible. Go and rotate it around in 360° view, it's laughable.

I dont know about "laughable" but yeah I agree with the rest here...

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Whats that site that sells all of those flame and smoke effect bitz?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Schizotek posted:

Whats that site that sells all of those flame and smoke effect bitz?

Armorcast's cinematic effects.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

I dont know about "laughable" but yeah I agree with the rest here...

I quite like the tzeentch chariot. The big flamey dude reminds me of the giant puppets from Pink Floyd's "The Wall". The actual flames could look a little better but I don't think that it's as much of a disaster as the Khorne chariot. I was reserving judgement until I saw a better picture but that thing is terrible and makes the Heldrake look like it was sculpted by Michaelangelo.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I just realized what it was about that flame that bothered me. It's flat-colored. There's no source lighting glow to it at all.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Christ, I think I like the look of these models even less in HD. I mean, I don't hate them, it's just that in a post Grey Knights, Dark Eldar and Necrons world, I expect a lot more from GW sculpts.

Something about the khorne kannon and the flies reminds me of 2nd edition scuplts, but I can't put my finger on why.

Too each their own I guess...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
See, I like the khorne-car because it is probably the Blanchiest model they've made. It's completely insane and goofy looking, but it somehow works.

Honestly, I think all of the demon sculpts are a little too cartoony when compared to everything else. Some of that could just be the paintjobs though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Nurgle herald is a brilliant piece of single sprue plastic work. Look at the depth they've achieved on his hollowed out gut. I can't wait until all their characters are plastic.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The Nurgle herald is a brilliant piece of single sprue plastic work. Look at the depth they've achieved on his hollowed out gut. I can't wait until all their characters are plastic.

Hastings says that they aren't happy with Finecast and they want to move to all plastic everything soon. We should hear an announcement about it this summer or something if true.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Agreed. Every single one of the single sprue characters they've done has been exceptional. Also the price point is perfect, which is a rarity for GW.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Phyresis posted:

Hastings says that they aren't happy with Finecast and they want to move to all plastic everything soon. We should hear an announcement about it this summer or something if true.

So is Hastings a GW employee or like the spouse of one or no one has any idea?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

See, I like the khorne-car because it is probably the Blanchiest model they've made. It's completely insane and goofy looking, but it somehow works.

Honestly, I think all of the demon sculpts are a little too cartoony when compared to everything else. Some of that could just be the paintjobs though.

I dunno man, having seen some of blanche's conversions and paint jobs this is a very pale imitation.

I can see what the model is going for, a surreal heavy metal vibe that defies physical law but it just doesn't come off. It looks brittle, awkward and like it will collapse under it's own weight it has no sense of proportion. It looks like a crippled clown car.

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 23, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I like Blanche's artwork, but I really dislike his miniatures work.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

^^^
HA! Takes all kinds.

Cataphract posted:

I dunno man, having seen some of blanche's conversions and paint jobs this is a very pale imitation.

Man the only reason I've been buying White Dwarf is for Blanchitsu. His conversions and paintjobs are wild.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phyresis posted:

The fly heads without the probosci look a lot better but the probosci are probably going to be really good must-take options or something.

I heard it is simply a 3+ poison (instead of 4+). Decent if you are going against T5+ models, but it isn't going to make a huge difference in the long run since they are weird jetpack beast thingies, and thus you can control who they go after easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
No doubt about it, the new flies look pretty awesome, but they'd need to be run without the snouts. I also think they should be run without the riders. They themselves are big floaty horrible daemons of Nurgle, and that's what the unit should be. Not fly monster riders, but fly monsters.

• Locked thread