Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Today was a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammers
Feb 13, 2012

psssSSSSSSHHHHHHH TOOTOOTootootoo

Comrade Flynn posted:

This is what happens when you take a strange car to the local college for a smog check.

Evergreen?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Here are my current rides:

1998 BMW M3/4/5.

2002 VW Golf although I'm hoping to dump this for something else, maybe a TDI, when I start my new job. Or an E30/E46/Miata/wrx. I've got turbo envy in a bad way.

1988 Honda NX250. I just use this for putting around the city. 80mpg!

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 18, 2013

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

Faerunner posted:

Parts for this are so cheap by comparison it'd make your head spin. $3-400 for a rear bumper for the Forester? $100 for the xB. I don't WANT us to have any car damage issues, but if it's going to happen, it'll hurt a lot less with this.

SOME parts are cheap, but some are loving crazy expensive! Also keep an eye out on that rear hatch handle/button, those fuckers break all the time!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Porkchop Express posted:

Also keep an eye out on that rear hatch handle/button, those fuckers break all the time!

Yeah, already saw plenty of complaints about that. Ours seems solid as a rock, first exterior thing we checked.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Hammers posted:

Evergreen?

Correct!

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

Guffikins posted:

Not enough British iron here- let me introduce you to one of the worst cars ever made, the 1977 Triumph TR-7:

Like any good British car I spend all my time working on it and almost never get to drive it- it's almost worth a thread (except I never do anything interesting and don't have any idea what I'm doing).

Awesome - as a Brit, I agree on the whole "worst car ever made" statement, but drat, if I could find a reasonably priced un-rusty one over here I'd buy it in a shot and drive it everywhere... Sir, if I had a cap I'd doff it to you as the goon with the best car in this thread so far!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Just got a real job like a real functional member of society, and perhaps I won't be stuck with my nearly 200k beater civic forever.

I appreciate the hell out of it being ridiculously reliable and easy to work on, but good lord it's boring. Even handbrake parking is only vaguely entertaining. Someday soon it may be relegated to a true beater/winter car instead of only-car.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Hypnolobster posted:

Even handbrake parking is only vaguely entertaining.

I see tread on those tires. Fix this, and the latter will follow. :colbert:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

West SAAB Story posted:

I see tread on those tires. Fix this, and the latter will follow. :colbert:

Brand new winters up front.
Bald all seasons out back.

Party everyday :dance:

I drove my 97 Altima SE like this for a winter. I could drift around lightpoles in our work parking lot due to the horrible rear grip. Initiate with the hand brake and just feed it throttle to keep the turn going. :v:

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
I sold the Mercury to my brother for this:

1986 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegeance with pillowtop velour seats, engine is 307 oldsmobile.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

What a beaut!

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

Needs all the bumper/fin fillers. A couple things on the door panels need to be reglued and one armrest is disconnected. The car was manafactured for Canada and so everything is metric. All original still, including radio. It's rolled over once but is in the vicinity of 136k kilometers.

And it's slower than molasses. But it super comfortable. Who needs back support anyhow?

ANd I have achieved 20 MPG in this car on the highway.

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 21, 2013

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

11BulletCatcher posted:

Needs all the bumper/fin fillers. A couple things on the door panels need to be reglued and one armrest is disconnected. The car was manafactured for Canada and so everything is metric. All original still, including radio. It's rolled over once but is in the vicinity of 136k kilometers.

And it's slower than molasses. But it super comfortable. Who needs back support anyhow?

Very nice, I had one (an 88 IIRC) for a few months in college, it overheated and warped the heads and that was that. The Olds engine is all iron, right?

I'd love to have another. The Monte Carlo I have now comes close enough to scratch the itch and the wife won't abide another extra car.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

You wouldn't happen to know where one could acquire the fillers would you?

Guffikins
Jul 4, 2004

reddeathdrinker posted:

Awesome - as a Brit, I agree on the whole "worst car ever made" statement, but drat, if I could find a reasonably priced un-rusty one over here I'd buy it in a shot and drive it everywhere... Sir, if I had a cap I'd doff it to you as the goon with the best car in this thread so far!

You'll hate me then, I got it for 1000 bucks rust free and running

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_cmp2.php

This is my track record thus far... I sure do like them big, slow, and guzzling...

automobile catalog posted:

https://www.automobile-catalog.com © The complete catalog of cars since 1945 ©

Chevrolet Impala 4-door Sedan 283 V-8 Turbo-Fire Powerglide
Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham Sedan 5.0L V-8
Ford Crown Victoria LX

Make:
Chevrolet
Cadillac
Ford

Model:
Full-Size 06gen
Fleetwood 5gen
Crown Victoria 1gen

1962-1964
1977-1986
1992-1997

Submodel:
Impala 4-Door Sedan
Fleetwood 5gen Brougham Sedan
Crown Victoria LX (mercury grand marquis)

1962-1964
1977-1986
1992-1997

Class:
full-size / executive car
full-size luxury / luxury car
full-size luxury / luxury car

Body style:
sedan

Traction:
RWD (rear-wheel drive)

DIMENSIONS & CAPACITIES
Length:
5344 mm / 210.4 in
5613 mm / 221 in
5385 mm / 212 in

Width:
2017 mm / 79.4 in
1913 mm / 75.3 in
1976 mm / 77.8 in
Height:
1410 mm / 55.5 in
1440 mm / 56.7 in
1443 mm / 56.8 in
Wheelbase:
3023 mm / 119 in
3086 mm / 121.5 in
2906 mm / 114.4 in
Fuel:
76 liter / 20.1 U.S. gal / 16.7 imp. gal
93 liter / 24.6 U.S. gal / 20.4 imp. gal
76 liter / 20.1 U.S. gal / 16.7 imp. gal

Turning circle btw. walls:
13.3 m / 43.6 ft
13.4 m / 44 ft
13.1 m / 43 ft

Turning circle btw. curbs:
12.4 m / 40.7 ft
12.4 m / 40.7 ft
Drag coefficient estimated:
Curb weight claimed
(without a driver):
1629 kg / 3591 lbs
1789 kg / 3944 lbs
1720 kg / 3792 lbs

POWERTRAIN

Engine manufacturer:
GM Chevrolet Small-Block V-8 283
GM Oldsmobile V-8 307 (LV2 or LG8)
Ford Modular V-8 4.6L

Fuel system:
carburetor
carburetor
indirect injection

Additional features:
Rochester 2-barrel
Rochester 4-barrel
sequential multi-port electronic fuel injection, EEC-IV

Cylinders alignment:
V 8
V 8
V 8

Displacement:
4638 cm3 / 283 cui
5033 cm3 / 307.1 cui
4601 cm3 / 280.3 cui

DRIVETRAIN
Transmission type:
automatic

Number of gears:

Final drive ratio std:

PERFORMANCE DATA - ProfessCars™ simulation
Top speed:
170 km/h / 106 mph
171 km/h / 106 mph
202 km/h / 126 mph

Acceleration:

0-60 mph (s):

0-100 mph (s):

0- 1/4 mile (s):

speed at 1/4 mile:
120 km/h / 75 mph
115 km/h / 71 mph
132 km/h / 82 mph

quarter mile time difference to the car from the first column (s):

drag race distance at 1/4 mile to the car from the first column ahead(+) or behind(-):
-19 m / -21 yds
52 m / 57 yds

Fuel consumption

(extra-urban / city / highway / average combined)

mpg (U.S.):
12-15 / 8-10 / 10-12 / 11.4
14-17 / 8-10 / 14-18 / 12.3
15-20 / 9-12 / 15-19 / 13.9

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 21, 2013

burns_2k
Oct 17, 2012

Alphius posted:

My baby: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28.
Greetings fellow 3rd gen owner. I have a 350 getting ready to go in front of my T5. Was the LT1 swap inspired by an exploding T5 or are they not as delicate as people make out?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

11BulletCatcher posted:

For 3 minutes, whilst going downhill with a tailwind, maybe.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

meatpimp posted:

He had a fuel leak when it was on the trailer getting towed. :rimshot:

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Just another GTI. All stock. Put the front plate back on after police kept pulling me over for it (this was back when I was smoking :420: so I definitely didn't need to be pulled over).

Been contemplating an APR reflash, but honestly the car is fast enough for me and I don't need another excuse to speed. I've heard that it actually improves your fuel economy though, can some confirm/deny?

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009

burns_2k posted:

Greetings fellow 3rd gen owner. I have a 350 getting ready to go in front of my T5. Was the LT1 swap inspired by an exploding T5 or are they not as delicate as people make out?

The LS1 is going in because my 350 wiped some bearings due to water in the oil. I told myself if that 350 ever came back out of the engine bay it wasn't going back in.
I had good luck with my T5, the best thing you can do is get a crossmember mounted torque arm and don't put sticky tires on it. If your T5 is in good shape now it should last a good long while. The whole "they are made of glass!" argument is a bit of an overexaggeration in my opinion. My 350 made 375RWTQ and I never outright broke a T5.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Just another GTI. All stock. Put the front plate back on after police kept pulling me over for it (this was back when I was smoking :420: so I definitely didn't need to be pulled over).

Been contemplating an APR reflash, but honestly the car is fast enough for me and I don't need another excuse to speed. I've heard that it actually improves your fuel economy though, can some confirm/deny?

Nice car, great color. I miss my MkV GTI in the summer. What transmission does it have?

Seriously, get your rear end over to your nearest APR dealer. You will love it. The GTI is fun out of the box, but an APR flash makes it more awesome. And yes, fuel mileage does increase slightly. 4 of my last 5 cars were APR flashed, and the one that wasn't had a STaSIS tune from the PO, otherwise it would have gotten APR as well. Wait until their next sale and you can get a fully loaded ECU for the price of one program.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 21, 2013

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Those wheels are so atrocious. I love everything about the GTI, aesthetically, except for those wheels.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

DropShadow posted:

Nice car, great color. I miss my MkV GTI in the summer. What transmission does it have?

Seriously, get your rear end over to your nearest APR dealer. You will love it. The GTI is fun out of the box, but an APR flash makes it more awesome. And yes, fuel mileage does increase slightly. 4 of my last 5 cars were APR flashed, and the one that wasn't had a STaSIS tune from the PO, otherwise it would have gotten APR as well. Wait until their next sale and you can get a fully loaded ECU for the price of one program.
6-speed manual. It's a stripper GTI; only options are the Hufeisens and the armrest IPOD hookup.

The DSG is a pretty nice transmission, and I test-drove a DSG, but I've only ever owned manual cars. The Mechatronics failures make me think that I made the right choice.

Coronet XX posted:

Those wheels are so atrocious. I love everything about the GTI, aesthetically, except for those wheels.

Those wheels are awesome. :colbert: Try focusing on the Cuisenart-slicer aspect rather than the horseshoe aspect.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

meatpimp posted:

75 MPH from Sarasota to Ft Meyers Fl, traveling with the wind. It did happen though.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Coronet XX posted:

Those are the same wheels I had on mine and were a big reason I liked the car so much.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

11BulletCatcher posted:

I sold the Mercury to my brother for this:

1986 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegeance with pillowtop velour seats, engine is 307 oldsmobile.

"Ayo, you wanna' cruise, or you wanna cruise?" :getin:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Trans Ferdinand posted:

6-speed manual. It's a stripper GTI; only options are the Hufeisens and the armrest IPOD hookup.

The DSG is a pretty nice transmission, and I test-drove a DSG, but I've only ever owned manual cars. The Mechatronics failures make me think that I made the right choice.

Those wheels are awesome. :colbert: Try focusing on the Cuisenart-slicer aspect rather than the horseshoe aspect.

They're unbelievably heavy and easy to curb, I've heard more than once its a whole new car when you ditch them for something 1/2 the weight.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

Chinatown posted:

"Ayo, you wanna' cruise, or you wanna cruise?" :getin:

I give random people rides just to share with them the joy that is Cadillac. I'll probably end up cut open by a drifter and have my liver sold on ebay.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This is my third car, I just bought it Wednesday. First car that I paid for entirely on my own. Super excited/proud/in love!

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 22, 2013

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sab669 posted:

This is my third car, I just bought it Wednesday. First car that I paid for entirely on my own. Super excited/proud/in love!

Nice car. Looks like ultimateforce's, only with more stuff inside.

notfred
Dec 1, 2005

Picked this up recently:

It's a 2002 Audi Allroad, 2.7T tiptronic, 90k miles and in good mechanical condition, OK cosmetic condition. I'm gonna replace some broken/worn interior trim (cup holders are broken, paint is worn off climate controls, etc), get a professional detail to get the swirl marks and scratches out, refinish the wheels, etc. The bodywork is all clean and straight though, which is good, only light scratches to fix. The goal is for it to look brand new. A restoration should be pretty easy on a low-mileage car that's only 11 years old.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
What's the status of the active suspension?

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

What you can't hear is the obscenely loud BeeGees tunes coming from the car.

Anyone know where I can get body filler?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

11BulletCatcher posted:

What you can't hear is the obscenely loud BeeGees tunes coming from the car.

Anyone know where I can get body filler?

That jacket is perfect.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

Rhyno posted:

That jacket is perfect.

Thanks. It's amazing what you can find at goodwill lol. 40 for the jacket.

notfred
Dec 1, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What's the status of the active suspension?

I put new front airbags in it and now it's working perfectly.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I thought this stuff only happened in sitcoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sir, are you aware that you were driving a totally bitchin' ride back there?