Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't recall the British ever invading the Philippines, either.
They occupied Manila and Cavite for two years during The Seven Years' War, when it was a Spanish colonial possession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

System Metternich posted:

Is this better?

Must've been an interesting place during the Cold War.

USA left, Russia right.

The proposed Bering Sea Tunnel will go through the Diomedes. Russia has approved the money, but they themselves still need a thousand miles of rail on their side to connect the strait to Yakutsk.

A huge railroad project here in Alaska would be great. It would create tons of jobs and make getting goods to remote places like Nome about a billion times easier. A rail link from the US to Asia would be pretty revolutionary, plus getting on a train in Anchorage and riding it all the way to London would be awesome.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

BIG HORNY COW posted:

The proposed Bering Sea Tunnel will go through the Diomedes. Russia has approved the money, but they themselves still need a thousand miles of rail on their side to connect the strait to Yakutsk.

A huge railroad project here in Alaska would be great. It would create tons of jobs and make getting goods to remote places like Nome about a billion times easier. A rail link from the US to Asia would be pretty revolutionary, plus getting on a train in Anchorage and riding it all the way to London would be awesome.

I've read about this proposed project, but had no idea it was anything more than a pipe dream. Is there really a need for a rail link between Alaska and northeastern Siberia?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Has anyone Lyndon LaRouche proposed this?

Edit: "The Most Important Stategic Question Today" :lol:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TheImmigrant posted:

I've read about this proposed project, but had no idea it was anything more than a pipe dream. Is there really a need for a rail link between Alaska and northeastern Siberia?

Going from New York to London "the long way" would be pretty :coal:.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

TheImmigrant posted:

I guess the real endgame would be linking in with the Chinese rail system. I imagine shipping goods via freight train from China to the US would be a lot more cost effective on the whole opposed to container ships and aircraft.

The idea of Nome as the railway entry to the US and some sort of bustling transport hub is pretty funny, though.

Edit: on this end, a rail line to Nome from Anchorage would completely change life for people who live in the bush / native villages. It's pretty much up to Cessnas and Supercubs to get anything in and out of those places.

There was a crisis out there last winter where the sea ice froze in a fuel ship headed to Nome and a Russian icebreaker had to come to the rescue http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/us/icebreaker-slowly-carves-path-for-tanker-to-bring-emergency-fuel-to-alaska.html?_r=0

BIG HORNY COW fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 23, 2013

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I'm thinking of the maintenance challenges of a few thousand km of railway on permafrost, in the most remote part of Russia.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

BIG HORNY COW posted:

I guess the real endgame would be linking in with the Chinese rail system. I imagine shipping goods via freight train from China to the US would be a lot more cost effective on the whole opposed to container ships and aircraft.

The idea of Nome as the railway entry to the US and some sort of bustling transport hub is pretty funny, though.

Edit: on this end, a rail line to Nome from Anchorage would completely change life for people who live in the bush / native villages. It's pretty much up to Cessnas and Supercubs to get anything in and out of those places.

There was a crisis out there last winter where the sea ice froze in a fuel ship headed to Nome and a Russian icebreaker had to come to the rescue http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/us/icebreaker-slowly-carves-path-for-tanker-to-bring-emergency-fuel-to-alaska.html?_r=0

Shipping by ocean is already more efficient per mile*ton than freight train not to mention the distance and infrastructure savings.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheImmigrant posted:

I'm thinking of the maintenance challenges of a few thousand km of railway on permafrost, in the most remote part of Russia.

Pan American Infrastructure could be much more practical.

Of course hardcore globalists are probably taking climate change into account.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shipping is also slow as hell, has a high loss rate, and its prices are strangled by a few companies. It also doesn't give Russia any jobs or money, hence the tunnel idea.

Wouldn't surprise me if the tunnel happens in our lifetimes, but its decades away. Alaska doesn't even have a rail link with the lower 48.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

McDowell posted:

Pan American Infrastructure could be much more practical.

Of course hardcore globalists are probably taking climate change into account.

Panama doesn't want a road link across the Darien - they are happy with an effective barrier between them and Colombian craziness (although that may change with the improving situation in Colombia). It's fantastic jungle out there - I went from Medellin to Panama City by surface travel along the Caribbean route a few years ago. It took me a week to cover what is a few hundred km as the crow flies.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Any idea on when the British invaded the territory that is currently Saudi Arabia, or Oman? I know for the Arabian Peninsula the states that are currently Qatar, Bahrain and the UAE were considered pirate heavy areas and militarily conquered creating the Trucial Coast states around 1817-1819. Kuwait and Yemen were also created sometime in the late 19th/early 20th century probably not exactly sure when but they saw military action for sure.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I'm guessing the great war. One movie on it.

dr.gigolo
May 9, 2006

TheImmigrant posted:

It was done in Tibet, the most remote part of China. There is of course A LOT more ground to cover in an even emptier part of the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4v-socoaa8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qinghai%E2%80%93Tibet_Railway

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Fizzil posted:

Any idea on when the British invaded the territory that is currently Saudi Arabia, or Oman? I know for the Arabian Peninsula the states that are currently Qatar, Bahrain and the UAE were considered pirate heavy areas and militarily conquered creating the Trucial Coast states around 1817-1819. Kuwait and Yemen were also created sometime in the late 19th/early 20th century probably not exactly sure when but they saw military action for sure.

the UK was still actively involved in Oman politically & militarily though the 1970's at least, if no even more recently. Saudi was during WWI when it was still mostly part of the Ottoman Empire.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Britain also launched expeditions into what is now Saudi when they were defining the borders of Yemen, the borders remained pretty undefined though which led to the Saudi-Yemeni wars in the 30's which I think Britain was also involved in as the "protector" of both countries.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

ecureuilmatrix posted:

...Algeria? Armenia? Ecuador? Laos? Liberia? Finland? Angola? Why Kazakhstan but not Uzbekistan? :psyduck: OH GOD SO MANY QUESTIONS.

The Royal Navy attacked Algeria more than once between the late 17th century and the early 19th century, when Algiers was the headquarters of the Barbary pirates. Basically, everyone with a fleet sent it to bombard Algiers at some point, including the USA - that's the war the line about "the shores of Tripoli" in the US Marine Corps song comes from.

I think Angola might come from the East African campaign in the First World War, because the German forces used to nip over the border into Portuguese territory to hide out. Ecuador is probably privateers raiding at some point during the days of the Spanish Empire.

I will admit to having no loving idea when the British invaded Armenia, Laos or Liberia.

E: We were indeed militarily involved in Oman in 1958-9 and again in the 1970s, when the Omani government was fighting Marxist rebels. It's stretching a point to call it invasion when you're there by the invitation of the existing government, though.

General Panic fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 23, 2013

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

I'm surprised they don't have separate international airports.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

And what an airport they do have:

(No, that's not a photoshop. As you can see on the map, the airport is directly behind the beach.)

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
What a nice relaxing bea :stare:

Andy Impey
Sep 2, 2011

Angiepants posted:

Every country England has ever invaded.

We're involved in France's Mali campaign at the moment, special forces on the ground training Malian troops, transport planes helping the French get their crap over there and such.

Another one ticked off the list then...

:britain:

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Andy Impey posted:

We're involved in France's Mali campaign at the moment, special forces on the ground training Malian troops, transport planes helping the French get their crap over there and such.

Another one ticked off the list then...

:britain:

That's not an invasion...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lonelywurm posted:

They occupied Manila and Cavite for two years during The Seven Years' War, when it was a Spanish colonial possession.

Well shoot, learn something new everyday. Thanks! :tipshat:

Content:

The Sultan of Sulu signed an agreement with a British commercial syndicate back in Jan 1878 regarding Northern Borneo. The British interpreted the agreement as a cessation of Northern Borneo, while the Sultan of Sulu understood it to mean a lease-in-perpetuity.

Every year, the Malaysian Embassy cuts a check for 5,300.00 Ringgit to the heirs of the Sultan of Sulu, as the payable amount stipulated in the agreement, which Malaysia assumed the responsibility for after the formation of that nation-state. Malaysia follows the British interpretation that the amount is a "cession" payment, while the Sultan's descendants still consider it as rent.

The Philippines still maintains a claim to the area via its ties to the Sultanate of Sulu, while Malaysia disputes the validity of the claim due to the lack of desire from the people actually in Northern Borneo to fall under the sovereignty of the Philippines or the Sulu Sultanate.

Panas
Nov 1, 2009

General Panic posted:

I will admit to having no loving idea when the British invaded Armenia, Laos or Liberia.

The British moved troops into the Caucasus region after the Bolsheviks pulled out of WW1. No idea for the others. Are they counting UN peace keeping missions?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well shoot, learn something new everyday. Thanks! :tipshat:

Content:

The Sultan of Sulu signed an agreement with a British commercial syndicate back in Jan 1878 regarding Northern Borneo. The British interpreted the agreement as a cessation of Northern Borneo, while the Sultan of Sulu understood it to mean a lease-in-perpetuity.

Every year, the Malaysian Embassy cuts a check for 5,300.00 Ringgit to the heirs of the Sultan of Sulu, as the payable amount stipulated in the agreement, which Malaysia assumed the responsibility for after the formation of that nation-state. Malaysia follows the British interpretation that the amount is a "cession" payment, while the Sultan's descendants still consider it as rent.

The Philippines still maintains a claim to the area via its ties to the Sultanate of Sulu, while Malaysia disputes the validity of the claim due to the lack of desire from the people actually in Northern Borneo to fall under the sovereignty of the Philippines or the Sulu Sultanate.

The history of Borneo is incredibly complex, probably my favourite part are the White Rajahs of Sarawak a British dynasty who ruled the north-west of Borneo for over 100 years.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The history of Borneo is incredibly complex, probably my favourite part are the White Rajahs of Sarawak a British dynasty who ruled the north-west of Borneo for over 100 years.

The White Rajah's are one of the craziest random things to ever happen in history.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

When have the British "invaded" Switzerland?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Mano posted:

When have the British "invaded" Switzerland?

During the Hundred Years war I seem to remember.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
That map is really using the term invasion very loosely.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

From the buzzfeed list, a map that finally explains how the Sun and Moon would appear to rise and set on a "flat" Earth.

For those annoyed by divided islands, Kataja.

When the border was created in 1809, these were two separate islands, but they've since grown together due to post-glacial rebound.

My favorite border which I've visited, Estonia/Russia at Narva.

These two fortresses were fought over constantly between 1492 and 1617. Rivers make really bad borders.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Bigger version of that map thing for people who want to read the text:

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

That's pretty good, since it allows for the sun's path to change in the sky as you go from north to south in the correct manner. I guess the sun wobbles in its path and that's how we get seasons. But I never understood how flat-earthers (the serious ones anyway) explained that distances in the southern hemisphere don't appear to be much larger.

Like South America and Africa appear to be pretty accurately mapped out, they must have known that they really aren't that far from each other at southern latitudes. Anybody know how they explained that one away?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Also wouldn't you be able to see the Earth curving up if you're in like, Panama for example?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Also wouldn't you be able to see the Earth curving up if you're in like, Panama for example?

Or you know, just look at a ship when it comes from the horizon.

It takes extra retardness to think that the world is flat when even in old times every lice-ridden clap-having scurvy-addled sailor could tell you that it's round.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its a grim round world charlie brown.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What gets me is that it already concedes that the world is curved, without conceding that if the world were curved all the way around, it would be spherical.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
You know Orlando Ferguson had a roulette table with the Earth like that on it. Money's on the Americas, fellas.

Mu Cow posted:

Rivers make really bad borders.

When the European powers divided up Africa, some of the boundaries were rivers. The problem was people didn't view rivers as boundaries but as major transportation networks, the boundaries were elsewhere. You can imagine where the problems started.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also rivers move.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

DarkCrawler posted:

Or you know, just look at a ship when it comes from the horizon.

It takes extra retardness to think that the world is flat when even in old times every lice-ridden clap-having scurvy-addled sailor could tell you that it's round.

Have you looked at the Stuff You Just Figured Out thread in PYF? People don't necessarily connect two and two all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dusseldorf posted:

Has anyone Lyndon LaRouche proposed this?

Edit: "The Most Important Stategic Question Today" :lol:

This thing right?

I remember two crazy people with a booth collecting donations for this at my school.