Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.

These are stunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

atomicthumbs posted:

Sleeping by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Bay Morning by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

The Ocean by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

More expired 35mm Ektachrome Elite 100. I wish I had taken my P67 up in the hills that morning :(

I have already commented on flickr but wanted to comment here as well. They're great, love the different shades.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

atomicthumbs posted:

Sleeping by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Bay Morning by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

The Ocean by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

More expired 35mm Ektachrome Elite 100. I wish I had taken my P67 up in the hills that morning :(

I love all of these. The last one owns, though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Jesus Christ.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Inf posted:

Feeling pretty drat good right now. My first home-developed roll of B&W film is hanging up to dry at the moment. I was so stoked when I saw those images as I pulled it off the reel. Just posting this photo so maybe some of you can remember that feeling from your first times too. It's pretty awesome.

It never goes away, actually, especially if you don't develop same day as you finish the roll. :D

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

maxmars posted:

It never goes away, actually, especially if you don't develop same day as you finish the roll. :D

Shoot, I've cancelled nighttime plans more than once just so I could develop a roll the same day I shot it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

More Ektachrome Panther 35mm.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

If someone can read Japanese, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Fuji is planning to raise the prices of its film about 25% for the next batches: http://ffis.fujifilm.co.jp/information/articlein_0022.html

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

QPZIL posted:

Shoot, I've cancelled nighttime plans more than once just so I could develop a roll the same day I shot it.

That's what I did last night. Sleep, or stay up until 4AM so I could scan my freshly-dried film? Easy decision.

Totally sold on home development, though. I'm now looking into getting the chems and maybe a hot water bath so I can do C41 as well. I've used the local 'pro' photo lab in Austin for about 5 rolls so far, and 4 of them have come back with at least a few DEEP scratches on the negatives, not to mention a shitload of dust. I'm really not sure why not loving up the negs is such a difficult task, I managed to produce a perfectly clean scratch-free roll on my first try developing at home despite my inexperience making everything super clumsy. I can only attribute this to the lab tech just not giving a gently caress.

None of the shots are worth writing home about, but I'm still super stoked that I took these photos, then I used magic (chemistry) to make them appear on the film:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

alkanphel posted:

If someone can read Japanese, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Fuji is planning to raise the prices of its film about 25% for the next batches: http://ffis.fujifilm.co.jp/information/articlein_0022.html

The first table is a list of products that get updated packing sizes. (Rolls lengths, number of rolls per package, number of sheets per package.)
The second table shows updated pack styling.
New packs, all 135 rolls are 36 exposure only:
PRO400H in single roll 135 packs, 5 roll 120 packs.
Provia 100F in single roll and 5 roll 135 packs, 5 roll 120 packs, 20 sheet 4x5" and 8x10" packs.
Velvia 100 and Velvia 50 ditto.
Acros 100 in single roll and 3 roll 135 packs, 5 roll 120 packs, 20 sheet 4x5" and 8x10" packs.

Second point mentions that all products in table 1 will have a price increase of about 25%, so yes that part is right.

Third point seems to be about PRO400H marketing within Japan being changed or something.

Fourth is discontinued products.
I'm not entirely sure I can summarise that table. It seems most 135-24, 220 and 5x7" things are going out.
Velvia 100F is going out in 135 format, but staying in 120 and sheet formats.

The changes come into effect from April.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

nielsm posted:

The first table is a list of products that get updated packing sizes. (Rolls lengths, number of rolls per package, number of sheets per package.)
The second table shows updated pack styling.
New packs, all 135 rolls are 36 exposure only:
PRO400H in single roll 135 packs, 5 roll 120 packs.
Provia 100F in single roll and 5 roll 135 packs, 5 roll 120 packs, 20 sheet 4x5" and 8x10" packs.
Velvia 100 and Velvia 50 ditto.
Acros 100 in single roll and 3 roll 135 packs, 5 roll 120 packs, 20 sheet 4x5" and 8x10" packs.

Second point mentions that all products in table 1 will have a price increase of about 25%, so yes that part is right.

Third point seems to be about PRO400H marketing within Japan being changed or something.

Fourth is discontinued products.
I'm not entirely sure I can summarise that table. It seems most 135-24, 220 and 5x7" things are going out.
Velvia 100F is going out in 135 format, but staying in 120 and sheet formats.

The changes come into effect from April.

The fact that there was Velvia in 220 still being made was news to me!

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

alkanphel posted:

Yes, I checked and that seems about right.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Sons of bitches, don't gently caress with my Acros!

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Crap, pretty soon my freezer won't have room for any actual food.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

nielsm posted:

It's saying that PRO400H was originally marketed and sold internationally while only on a limited experimental basis in Japan, but now with the changeover from PRO400, it's being sold normally in Japan.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I picked up a Pentax ME Super on eBay for pretty cheap. I need to test it to make sure everything does actually work well, but so far it seems there's some junk in the actual viewfinder. I cleaned off the mirror and it's still there as little black marks. Could it be mold? I've never actually seen camera mold, but it seems like it may be inside the actual viewfinder mount.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

hcenvirons posted:

I picked up a Pentax ME Super on eBay for pretty cheap. I need to test it to make sure everything does actually work well, but so far it seems there's some junk in the actual viewfinder. I cleaned off the mirror and it's still there as little black marks. Could it be mold? I've never actually seen camera mold, but it seems like it may be inside the actual viewfinder mount.

It may be dust or gunk stuck to the focusing screen. A lot of old cameras have parts and greases that deteriorate over the decades and wind up stuck to stuff like your mirror/focusing screen. It can be a huge bitch to clean a dirty focusing screen if the particles don't just blow off with a rocket blower.

Googled real quick and found this: http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum/messages/6900/4757.html?1120986543

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Yond Cassius posted:

I caved and bought another fridge.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Portra 400

I've been shooting exclusively portra and ektar with color film, any recommendations for something new to play with?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Oprah Haza posted:

I've been shooting exclusively portra and ektar with color film, any recommendations for something new to play with?

What kind of look are you going for? Fuji Reala is great for a more natural-looking colour like Portra 400NC. Fuji 160S is similar to Reala but easier to find, although I hear it has been replaced with 160NS, sort of like how Portra got rolled into one as opposed to having VC and NC.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

HPL posted:

What kind of look are you going for? Fuji Reala is great for a more natural-looking colour like Portra 400NC. Fuji 160S is similar to Reala but easier to find, although I hear it has been replaced with 160NS, sort of like how Portra got rolled into one as opposed to having VC and NC.

I think I'll pick up some of that Fuji 160 and Across 100, thanks for the recommendation!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oprah Haza posted:

Portra 400

Great pictures :D

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Yond Cassius posted:

HPL posted:

I caved and bought another fridge.

This. I use the freezer part as a meat/bread locker for Costco hauls and the fridge for chemicals/film. At about ~$25 at a secondhand store, it's been one of my favorite purchases here in Japan :v:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

wait that cant be the haze layer at the top of those two pics?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

guidoanselmi posted:

wait that cant be the haze layer at the top of those two pics?

I think it’s the haze‐free layer.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Platystemon posted:

I think it’s the haze‐free layer.

Yep. The vantage point I took it from was above all the Bay Area's fog. Normally you'd be able to see the bay under the furthest layer (between the far mountain and the closer hill), but not that morning.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just picked up this cute little bastard from a camera shop in Dexter.

I love the size, and it's got a nice heft. Also, it's neat to have nothing but distance estimation for focusing - I'm taking a quick guess, dialing it in, and shooting. It's really fast.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
There's some residue at the bottom of the container I was storing my old fixer in long-term. Can't really get down inside it to clean... can I re-use it with fresh fixer, or no?

Edit: could always try really hot water, but I'm trying to minimize the amount of liquid waste I have to throw away here.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

There's some residue at the bottom of the container I was storing my old fixer in long-term. Can't really get down inside it to clean... can I re-use it with fresh fixer, or no?

Edit: could always try really hot water, but I'm trying to minimize the amount of liquid waste I have to throw away here.

I'm not sure, but I think it might be silver precipitate. It might dissolve a bit into the fresh fixer and make it slightly less effective, but not so it should be a problem.
But you probably shouldn't try to wash it out and pour it down the drain, for the same reason you shouldn't pour plain used fixer down the drain: Silver's bad for the environment. I'd suggest just keeping using the container for another portion of fixer, and when that's exhausted too, turn in the entire thing at a recycling station or similar.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

nielsm posted:

I'm not sure, but I think it might be silver precipitate. It might dissolve a bit into the fresh fixer and make it slightly less effective, but not so it should be a problem.
But you probably shouldn't try to wash it out and pour it down the drain, for the same reason you shouldn't pour plain used fixer down the drain: Silver's bad for the environment. I'd suggest just keeping using the container for another portion of fixer, and when that's exhausted too, turn in the entire thing at a recycling station or similar.

Find a chemist friend and try to extract the silver. :v:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Or get yourself a silver magnet:
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum146/68135-silver-magnet-silver-recovery-device.html

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Maybe it's completely legit and I've been reading the Bitcoin thread for too long, but literally everything about that sounds like a scam. Especially the bit where some dodgy silver refiner jumps into the thread from nowhere and never posts again.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Thank you :unsmith:.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

big scary monsters posted:

Maybe it's completely legit and I've been reading the Bitcoin thread for too long, but literally everything about that sounds like a scam. Especially the bit where some dodgy silver refiner jumps into the thread from nowhere and never posts again.

It's a little bit of both. I have one. The device works, but one important thing to understand is that home darkroom use extracts entirely nominal amounts of silver. Kodak says that black and white film generally contains about 4 grams per square meter (Tri-X a little more, TMax a little less, etc). Guesstimate that half of that stays in the film. Twenty rolls to a square meter (assuming an even split between 135x36 and 120) and thirty-one grams per troy ounce means you have to shoot about 300 rolls to recover one ounce of silver, or 9500-ish rolls to fill the Silver Trap.

I'm not exactly sure how much US Imagineering (the manufacturer) pays out for silver. I understand it's a pretty crappy rate, even by the standards of precious metal buyers - back when I was in school, the lab used one and said that it basically bought pizza for the end-of-semester staff parties, until they started taking it to a local jeweler. Then they could afford to invite some of the students, too. :toot: Silver costs a bit over twice as much now, so maybe they can invite all the students!

I still say it's worth it, though. I've noticed that, with reclamation, I get about 50-75% more life out of my fixer before it's totally worthless. Besides saving money on chemicals, it means fewer trips to the hazardous waste disposal site, and that's worth something on its own.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
I'm curious if anyone has any first hand experience with Ilford's black and white reversal process, outlined in this document (PDF).

I want to give it a try sometime this year, but I've started sourcing the extra chemicals and the trouble is trying to find smaller quantities of the stuff. I'm probably not going to do it more than once or twice so I really don't need 500g of potassium permanganate laying around the house, let alone a litre of concentrated sulphuric acid.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Why don't you just go with the Foma reversal kit:

http://www.fomafoto.com/index.php?p...uemart&Itemid=1

Looks like its only €32, plus they specifically make a reversal B&W film too.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

LFK posted:

I'm curious if anyone has any first hand experience with Ilford's black and white reversal process, outlined in this document (PDF).

I want to give it a try sometime this year, but I've started sourcing the extra chemicals and the trouble is trying to find smaller quantities of the stuff. I'm probably not going to do it more than once or twice so I really don't need 500g of potassium permanganate laying around the house, let alone a litre of concentrated sulphuric acid.

Photographers' Formulary has everything you need in small quantities, including 10g containers of potassium permanganate and 100mL containers of sulfuric acid!

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Spedman posted:

Why don't you just go with the Foma reversal kit:

http://www.fomafoto.com/index.php?p...uemart&Itemid=1

Looks like its only €32, plus they specifically make a reversal B&W film too.
In part because I already shoot a lot of FP4+, so I'm really familiar with how it behaves, how to scan and print it, so it feels like it'd be a much less random experiment. Does that make sense, or do I sound crazy? The other part is that shipping costs from Norway to Canada make me sad.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Photographers' Formulary has everything you need in small quantities, including 10g containers of potassium permanganate and 100mL containers of sulfuric acid!
Spot on! Thanks!

Looking through that site I found this: PHOTOGRAPHERS FORMULARY GRADE 2 EMULSION

"This fixed grade black & white emulsion is a light sensitive, silver chlorobromide emulsion which can be applied to various supports such as glass, ceramics, art paper, fabrics and plastics."

Looks like I might be doing my own glass plates this year, too.

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.

DSC00059 by boydy88, on Flickr

DSC00044 by boydy88, on Flickr

Couple from my Yashica Electro. Came from my third roll of home development, way too fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
xposting from medium/large format thread

The Library, Scarsdale NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Garage, Hartsdale NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Rear Wall, Hartsdale NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Grand Opening, Greenburgh NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr