Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cat Terrist posted:

And you know, those young guys often dont have much debt and earn good money too. Sure it's hard work but they get a much better start to adult life than the debt buried Uni grads.

Other thing with that is that guys with degrees in large part have to go to big cities. That raises their cost of living and lowers the necessity of a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

DropShadow posted:

... which is a knockoff of the GT-R's a-pilar and roof treatment.

That's been a Corvette cue since the C4, maybe the C3

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I'd like to see a muscle car driving on bias plies even try to run a 700ft slalom.

"heat build-up was fantastic..you could smell the brakes half way around the track." "A little wallowy"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7CbMewms-A

"Body lean was very slight."
http://youtu.be/VGYg5GuLqXY?t=2m54s

"Body lean..was not noticeable on the inside."
http://youtu.be/UBSd2QvY7wQ?t=3m24s

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Autoblog drives the Mazda 6 diesel wagon

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/21/2014-mazda6-skyactiv-d-wagon/

It's not fair :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

davebo posted:

Edit: vv I can't believe I never noticed that, or just didn't remember it. I don't think any of the gt-r's I've seen in real life have had that roof though, and I see plenty of photos online of it with CF and with painted roofs. How's that work, is the CF roof an option you can pay extra for or is the painted roof additional? Also has Chevy given any indication there'll be a glass targa top available?
C7 has 3 options.
Body colored carbon fiber
Unpainted carbon fiber
Transparent

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Devyl posted:

And seriously, who puts silver stripes on yellow cars?

A ton of rich guys with no taste who buy GM cars.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
So spyshots of the new Cherokee are out there. I kind of like it in a weird way. I has it's own look to it.

http://jalopnik.com/2014-jeep-cherokee-this-is-it-335476306

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Apparently this is the new Jeep Cherokee/Liberty.

They can't possibly be serious. This is the worst thing I have ever seen.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
What the gently caress is going on with that front end?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's seriously like the Geely ripoff of a Cherokee.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Is anyone else seeing this?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

AdmiralViscen posted:

That's been a Corvette cue since the C4, maybe the C3

Fantastic. I was referring to the Scion tC trying to mimic the GT-R.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Lightbulb Out posted:

Well, they want to appeal to the Chinese market...

:suicide:
oh god I'm so sorry, that might be the most racist thing I've ever typed

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ilkhan posted:

C7 has 3 options.
Body colored carbon fiber
Unpainted carbon fiber
Transparent

I was really confusing there since I was initially asking about the GT-R, but thanks because I also had no idea body color painted was an option on the C7 too.

Devyl posted:

I really hope that un-painted plastic is a test mule thing, because all I see is

Now you've got me wondering because in all the photos I've seen, some look painted but it's hard to tell if it's just touched up digital photos and tricky lighting that make the matte plastic seem smoother or darker in some. The grey paint job c7 press photos certainly look like it's painted, so maybe it's an option? I feel like this generation we're going to see a lot more aftermarket rear panels for the Corvette.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Jesus, that is loving atrocious. Why are the headlights so thin? And why would they integrate the grille into the hood like that?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

It's seriously all I can see.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
It's an Alfa Rojeepo, I wonder if the Italians or the American team designed it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BabyMauler posted:

It's an Alfa Rojeepo, I wonder if the Italians or the American team designed it?

Italians would never design something so hideous! Making beautiful cars is the thing they're best at, even if the cars don't necessarily work.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

PT6A posted:

I think most young drivers do want more than appliances, but the problem is they don't have the money to drive the sales of new cars.

Car sales are driven by the demographics with the most money. Right now that is overwhelmingly the baby boomers, and they like SUVs, crossovers and occasionally, small boring cars like the focus and corolla.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

the overall shape of the front end reminds me of the Isuzu Vehicross.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Lightbulb Out posted:

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Throatwarbler posted:

Over a third of autoblog readers said this is attractive. Over a third.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I like it... from the A-pillars back. It's a Jeep Forester/Crosstrek!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That is one fackin' ugly vehicle.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Throatwarbler posted:

Check out the panel gap on the hood. Maybe it just isn't closed, or maybe it's Jeep's new styling cues.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Augmented Dickey posted:

Jesus, that is loving atrocious. Why are the headlights so thin? And why would they integrate the grille into the hood like that?

I don't think those are headlights. Maybe DRL, signals and off road lights or something

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I don't think those are headlights. Maybe DRL, signals and off road lights or something

You are correct. Headlights are in the middle and the bottom lights are fog/flood lights.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Throatwarbler posted:

I wanted to report your post as inappropriate, that is how sad it made me.

I cannot loving fathom this being anything other than a leaked early April Fool's posting.

Good Grief. As a Jeep enthusiast I weep.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Xguard86 posted:

this is interesting as hell, I never knew about the military/muscle car connection.

It's not something that's ever been directly commented on, but it's there. As was said, tons of shady people outside of military bases target members of the military for all kinds of useless and expensive poo poo, and you can see that the car manufacturers do, too. It's part of the reason why you could get muscle cars in the 60's and today with a 6, but dolled up to look like the more powerful 8 powered cars. In the 60's you could get a Challenger with R/T stripes and any of the bright colors, yet powered by a slant 6, or the Mustang today that you can option out similarly. Stuff like that, IMO, is proof positive that the big 3 know kids want those cars and try and maximize potential sales to them in the fullest.

The war thing is just a theory I have, but you have to admit that the 3 horsepower wars coincidentally occur at the same time as the last 3 major wars, regardless of the economic situation of the time. We had a recession in the 80's and early 90's and no muscle cars, but no wars either. Now we have the worst recession in 100 years yet a horsepower war, and I think the two wars post-9/11 totally factor into the new cars being released.

It's also a uniquely American phenomenon, I don't think similar marketing strategies have occurred elsewhere in the capitalist world.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 22, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Eh, lots of off-road cars do that to improve approach angles.

There's no excuse at all for the melty 90s Hyundai styling on the sides, though. None. Jesus christ, it's not that hard to style a decent looking Jeep. Just give us two boxes slammed on top of each other with straight lines and nice hard angles on everything and it's a winner. The current Grand Cherokee looks perfectly nice - why not just shrink it?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I owned 2 Jeep Cherokees in the 1990's and neither needed the front end of a DUKW to go skiing or tear up some Sierra Nevada Jeep trails (or putt along the highway during commuting which they did more often unfortunately) :smith:

But yeah....I hear ya...it's really just the goofy appendages and lights on that poor thing.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 22, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

It's not something that's ever been directly commented on, but it's there. As was said, tons of shady people outside of military bases target members of the military for all kinds of useless and expensive poo poo, and you can see that the car manufacturers do, too. It's part of the reason why you could get muscle cars in the 60's and today with a 6, but dolled up to look like the more powerful 8 powered cars. In the 60's you could get a Challenger with R/T stripes and any of the bright colors, yet powered by a slant 6, or the Mustang today that you can option out similarly. Stuff like that, IMO, is proof positive that the big 3 know kids want those cars and try and maximize potential sales to them in the fullest.

The war thing is just a theory I have, but you have to admit that the 3 horsepower wars coincidentally occur at the same time as the last 3 major wars, regardless of the economic situation of the time. We had a recession in the 80's and early 90's and no muscle cars, but no wars either. Now we have the worst recession in 100 years yet a horsepower war, and I think the two wars post-9/11 totally factor into the new cars being released.

It's also a uniquely American phenomenon, I don't think similar marketing strategies have occurred elsewhere in the capitalist world.

I can agree with the American phenomenon, but what about Gulf War 1 and the Balkans? Is there some sort of cutoff or troop deployment tipping point for American military involvement that determines whether or not new muscle cars come out?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
those are both blips on the radar versus the forever wars we've been waging in Iraq (again) and Afghanistan. You dont see a culture impact from things that last less than a year.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

The current Grand Cherokee looks perfectly nice - why not just shrink it?

They did exactly that with the Compass, though it and the Patriot can't be long for this world now with that new ... thing coming out.

And the GC has refreshed front & rear fascias for 2014, and it's grinning at you.

Edit: Jalopnik has added this tweet from Chrysler:

So I bet this is the vehicle that is going to replace the Compass/Patriot and the Liberty-replacing Cherokee will be something else entirely.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 23, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Throatwarbler posted:

Holy gently caress this is Aztec kind of disaster styling. This can not be a seriously considered car

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Jesus christ, it's not that hard to style a decent looking Jeep. Just give us two boxes slammed on top of each other with straight lines and nice hard angles on everything and it's a winner.

So something like this?

:D

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Linedance posted:

I can agree with the American phenomenon, but what about Gulf War 1 and the Balkans? Is there some sort of cutoff or troop deployment tipping point for American military involvement that determines whether or not new muscle cars come out?

What Xguard86 said. That stuff lasted weeks or months at best, with a few hundred thousand people involved. Millions served in the two wars now, millions served in Vietnam and Korea. It's a market segment worth targeting when you get numbers like that.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I like this car. It is a pretty car. Child that I don't have yet's college fund...or 2014 Bentley Flying Spur...hmmm...

quote:

The 2014 Flying Spur is powered by the same twin-turbo 6.0-liter W12 that is found in the Continental GT Speed. This extreme engine puts out 616 hp and 590 lb-ft of torque, which is sent through an eight-speed automatic transmission and an all-wheel-drive system. Its 0-60mph run in accomplished in just 4.3 seconds and can reach a top speed of 200mph. But of course, with a powerful and heavy car (5,451 lbs) you should not plan on great gas mileage. The Fly Spur will get 12 mpg in the city and 20 on the highway.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Welp, that Liberty/Cherokee is official.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/22/2014-jeep-cherokee-gets-official-in-a-hurry/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

It looks a lot better in the new photos and in blue, but I still don't really like it.