Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Oh wow, that's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Yeah, the finished product isn't as jarring, but visually it's as far from a Jeep as could be.

The Cthulokee should have tracks leading to the ocean in that beach photo.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I like it! The Cherokee.

EDIT: Ooooohhhh....the melty door thing...and in white....yeah. I guess the blue hid a few things.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I can only hope it's good off road and not gimpy like the Patriot and Compass. But it looks to be just another softroader with that droopy front clip :(

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick

Cream_Filling posted:

Eh, lots of off-road cars do that to improve approach angles.

There's no excuse at all for the melty 90s Hyundai styling on the sides, though. None. Jesus christ, it's not that hard to style a decent looking Jeep. Just give us two boxes slammed on top of each other with straight lines and nice hard angles on everything and it's a winner. The current Grand Cherokee looks perfectly nice - why not just shrink it?

Keep in mind this is not a replacement for the Grand Cherokee. It is replacing the Liberty so far as I can tell, which used to be and will now again be called the Cherokee in the US (no 'Grand').

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think I may have developed full blown Chrysler Apologist disease. After the initial recoil of horror, it's actually starting to grow on me a little. The angles that they've chose for the shots all seem to make the front larger/more slab like that it probably is in reality. We'll decide when this thing appears in the flesh I guess.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Throatwarbler posted:

Apparently this is the new Jeep Cherokee/Liberty.

They can't possibly be serious. This is the worst thing I have ever seen.

It's like they looked at a Nissan Juke and thought "YESSSSS WE LIKE THAT, LET'S GO IN THAT DIRECTION!"

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Throatwarbler posted:

I think I may have developed full blown Chrysler Apologist disease. After the initial recoil of horror, it's actually starting to grow on me a little. The angles that they've chose for the shots all seem to make the front larger/more slab like that it probably is in reality. We'll decide when this thing appears in the flesh I guess.
You're not the only one the Cthulokee is growing on. When I look at the front, I see a remora sitting on a catfish, and it's amusing to see the sealife-inspired design fad come full circle on a Jeep of all things.

On a serious note, the diff selector in the leak has a N position, which makes me think it might have decent offroad performance with the rumored low gearing for offroad packages. If everything works as well as intended or better, it might be a fun and flexible vehicle with looks you won't get bored of. :downs:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Tekne posted:

The Cthulokee should have tracks leading to the ocean in that beach photo.

Tekne posted:

You're not the only one the Cthulokee is growing on.

That is the worst nickname for anything ever, please stop trying to make it a thing.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

According to an insider on allpar, opinions like the ones currently all over the internet were expressed to Marchionne and everyone else with a say since December, but it appears they charged ahead regardless. I hope the vehicle is good enough despite its polarizing appearance to be a success. Hopefully, they won't take good sales as a license to put out more "paradigm shifting" designs. The Jeep look is arguably as important to the brand as their offroad capability.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Tekne posted:

You're not the only one the Cthulokee is growing on. When I look at the front, I see a remora sitting on a catfish, and it's amusing to see the sealife-inspired design fad come full circle on a Jeep of all things.

On a serious note, the diff selector in the leak has a N position, which makes me think it might have decent offroad performance with the rumored low gearing for offroad packages. If everything works as well as intended or better, it might be a fun and flexible vehicle with looks you won't get bored of. :downs:

The Patriot/Compass have low range with the CVT, but for some reason having it really kills the fuel economy. They've gone to the Hyundai 6 speed auto from the Dart on the new COmpass/Patriots but if you want the low range you still have to have the CVT.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Faerunner posted:

It looks a lot better in the new photos and in blue, but I still don't really like it.

Oh gently caress no, it's still just as utterly godawful! What the gently caress where they thinking???

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The profile looked good when I thought that was a long think headlight, and then when I saw the grill that wraps around the leading top edge, I was like what the gently caress?!

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Throatwarbler posted:

Apparently this is the new Jeep Cherokee/Liberty.

They can't possibly be serious. This is the worst thing I have ever seen.

Yo! I heard you like headlights, so...

They narrowed the selection of headlights to 3, but still couldn't decide. So they used them all.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 23, 2013

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
When they make a Breaking Bad sequel series starring Walt Jr., he will be driving this.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

AI posted:

Jeep.

I'm going to reserve judgment until I see it in the flesh. I'm a big fan of the Vehicross and I don't think this really resembles it.

I am surprised what a strong reaction it's getting, but I'm not an offroader or Jeep loyalist.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CornHolio posted:

It's like they looked at a Nissan Juke and thought "YESSSSS WE LIKE THAT, LET'S GO IN THAT DIRECTION!"

A Juke is way more attractive than that Jeep turd. It doesn't even look particularly "European," it just looks like a big piece of poo poo that couldn't make up it's mind between being a Jeep and being something else. Either stick with the brand or just kill it outright, don't create a hideous mutant that appeals to almost no one.

EDIT: The front view is awful and everything in front of the A-pillar looks unnaturally thin. If they fixed these two problems, they could have a decent looking vehicle, but as it is, it's unforgivably ugly.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
The more I look at it the worse it gets. That weird folded grill, the slit DRLs, the nondescript headlights and all the folded poo poo melting between each element. Everything behind the fascia is fine, but if this doesn't get a facelift in the first 2 days of production I'll be blown away.

poo poo IS UGLY.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm still at the "not AS bad as I originally thought" phase, but I just don't understand why they even went in this direction at all. All they had to do was use the new GC's headlights and grill and that would basically fix everything that's wrong with it, as well as keep styling continuous within the brand. Now the styling is not just polarizing(to put it generously) but it doesn't look like any other past or current Jeep.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Faerunner posted:

So something like this?

:D

Give it a seven slot grille and that would be pretty rad.

Also, that redesigned Grand Cherokee looks hooorible. Did someone from corporate tell them to save money by reusing the headlights from smaller cars?

It's like they fired all the Jeep designers and just poorly modified stuff from other companies to save money on tooling or something. Don't they understand that when people buy a Jeep, what they really want to buy is either a Wrangler or a more comfortable car that still looks like a Wrangler (or maybe a Hummer)? If they wanted curvy, organic forms, they'd go to every other carmaker on earth who makes a chubby and overinflated cute ute or crossover.

The fact that they brought back the legendary Cherokee name to smear on this thing is the ultimate insult. We're talking the ur-SUV; one of the best and most successful cars of the 80s.

If they really wanted to stir the design pot, would it have killed them to do a retro wagoneer instead?

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 23, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

Also, that redesigned Grand Cherokee looks hooorible. Did someone from corporate tell them to save money by reusing the headlights from smaller cars?

Eh, all they did was change the shape of the headlights slightly, I don't particularly care about it either way but it hardly makes the whole car horrible?

Although now that you mention it they kind of did just reuse the headlights from the 300 I guess.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

What's most amazing to me is that appearance wise, they already had a good example of how to do a solid looking CUV and from their own stable no less:

I realize that they're two different platforms, but there was no need to go for melted taffy when they have a crossover that looks like a proper mopar. A smaller Journey-esque vehicle, based on the CUSW architecture, with Jeep styling cues and a greater emphasis on offroad abilities would have been received with open arms compared to what we got.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Seriously that is jarringly bad. The front end is one thing but the meltydoor side view is a disaster.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

Eh, all they did was change the shape of the headlights slightly, I don't particularly care about it either way but it hardly makes the whole car horrible?

Although now that you mention it they kind of did just reuse the headlights from the 300 I guess.

Well, considering just how big the front end of the car is, the entire front fascia is really out of proportion, and it looks like two car grilles melted on top of each other. Also, none of the lines from the front match the lines on the sides, so the whole thing is kind of disjointed. And they added a weird inset scoop countour around the lights and grille that doesn't really resolve into anything and doesn't match anything.

I was probably overstating it, and it's not as awful as the new Cherokee, but it's definitely a firm step back from the current one.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I definitely dislike the design, but it's kind of nice to be able to look at a new car and feel some emotion about its styling. I guess I'd rather be disgusted than bored?

And "Italian design" or no, remember that Fiat is the same company that sold this:

For actual money, too.

eames
May 9, 2009

Somebody figured out how to fix the Jeep headlights!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Tricky Ed posted:

I definitely dislike the design, but it's kind of nice to be able to look at a new car and feel some emotion about its styling. I guess I'd rather be disgusted than bored?

And "Italian design" or no, remember that Fiat is the same company that sold this:

For actual money, too.

The Multipla (I think that's the name) was very much a product of the styling of its time. Stick a contemporary Ford Ka on one side and one of the sillier Renaults / Citroens on the other and it doesn't look out of place at all.

I don't know what you would put next to that Cherokee that would make it look less strange, other than a non-contemporary meltystyle Santa Fe, or a Juke, and the Juke's design language is awful too.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey all you Lincoln MKZ haters can go suck it because Consumer Reports has driven the new MKZ and they are impressed.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2013/02/first-drive-video-stylish-lincoln-mkz-impresses.html

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Cream_Filling posted:

Give it a seven slot grille and that would be pretty rad.

It's like they fired all the Jeep designers and just poorly modified stuff from other companies to save money on tooling or something. Don't they understand that when people buy a Jeep, what they really want to buy is either a Wrangler or a more comfortable car that still looks like a Wrangler (or maybe a Hummer)? If they wanted curvy, organic forms, they'd go to every other carmaker on earth who makes a chubby and overinflated cute ute or crossover.

The fact that they brought back the legendary Cherokee name to smear on this thing is the ultimate insult. We're talking the ur-SUV; one of the best and most successful cars of the 80s.

If they really wanted to stir the design pot, would it have killed them to do a retro wagoneer instead?

I would never stop giving money to Jeep if they made trucks that looked like this again:

Why do they burden us with such monstrosities when we used to be blessed with such beauties?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

Hey all you Lincoln MKZ haters can go suck it because Consumer Reports has driven the new MKZ and they are impressed.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2013/02/first-drive-video-stylish-lincoln-mkz-impresses.html

Those touch controls look awful.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

The leaked Cherokee photos made it look horrible, but somehow it's grown on me. Kinda looks like a Q7 had a dirty encounter with a Juke in this photo. Can't say it looks bad, just different.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
That's probably as flattering an angle as you could get because it hides all the bizarre curves. And it almost works. But it doesn't, because of that foolish chrome surround around the lower grill. It ends up looking like a snake resting its head on an unhappy frog, or two separate cars crushed together.

If that chrome surround is a high-level trim option and the regular trim has it in black it will look immensely better.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

awesome-express posted:

The leaked Cherokee photos made it look horrible, but somehow it's grown on me. Kinda looks like a Q7 had a dirty encounter with a Juke in this photo. Can't say it looks bad, just different.

Does that house get rented a lot for film and photo or does it just look similar to others I've seen?

Also, as to why they don't use classic styling -- aerodynamics?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Aerodynamics; its a....Jeep thing?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
All the other domestic brands are pulling off retro while still handling aero. The new pedestrian safety regs means everything has to have a big flat face anyway.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sudo Echo posted:

Those touch controls look awful.

All touch controls are awful in cars.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

The King of Swag posted:

Why do they burden us with such monstrosities when we used to be blessed with such beauties?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

The Jeep Wagoneer is (allegedly) coming back as a replacement for the Dodge Durango: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/05/dodge-durango-avenger-models-will-be-discontinued-srt-model-fo/

quote:

That's until we see that the Durango will be replaced by a Jeep Wagoneer; a rehash of an old name based on the same platform and engine choices of the Dodge three-row utility.

So, a new Jeep the size of the current Durango, which is already on a stretched version of the WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee platform. Sounds like the Jeep Commander, which also rode the GC platform at the time. I think the renaming shuffle is partly due to Ram being spun off which left the Durango in a weird place between the two brands.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

awesome-express posted:

I'm sad to say it's growing on me, too. I kind of like the profile in the same way I like the newer Outlanders / Foresters. At least it deviates from the standard Mom-Bubble CUV formula.

gently caress that melted door, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Hmm, that droopy door sure does make it look like a Chinese knock off in those phone pics, but I doesn't look bad from these angles.

Makes it look organic/muscular. I remember reading an article written by Bangle where he emphasized the importance of defining certain animalistic physical resemblances on cars. That's why the 1 series had that funky rocker panel/side skirt thing. Man I feel like a Chrysler spokesperson right now :psyduck: