Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lamadrid posted:

Decimations will continue until morale improves!!!

And similar to Spartacus being forced to kill Varro, soldiers in the legion under decimation punishment were forced to kill their fellow soldiers as part of the punishment process.

It wasn't until the later Byzantine empire that they did away with the practice due to the common sense of it being both wasteful of manpower and also bad for morale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Scuzzywuffit posted:

At the same time, though, even if the show was dark from the very beginning, it was dark in a very polarizing way. There were "good" characters and "bad" characters, and for the most part, it was gladiators on the good side and Romans on the bad side. There were some exceptions, like Ashur being a scheming dickbag or Horse-Cock attempting to kill Spartacus, but it was a show about a group of people being brutally mistreated and forced to kill each other by the Romans, both in the arena and for the amusement of douchey kids in the villa.

Gods of the Arena and Vengeance didn't stray too far from this formula, even when Vengeance took it out of the ludus and the arena and onto the battlefield. You had Spartacus and his crew hanging out in the wilderness or in an isolated mountain temple, and the Romans would come and attack them and a bunch of soldiers would die. As brutally violent as the show was (is), it was actually pretty clean with fairly visible lines drawn between good and evil. It wasn't until this season that we've seen the gladiators just go gently caress up a city and kill and imprison a bunch of innocents. You could make the case that they did something similar when they destroyed the arena, but the people they blew up were there literally to have sex while watching them die horribly in chains and with blunted swords.

And that's what makes War of the Damned so great, it's blurring the lines between good and evil so they're hardly recognizable. You put a bunch of former slaves and gladiators into an army led by someone so clouded by vengeance he can barely see what's going on around him, and you have a recipe for a chaotic force that knows no limits.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Azure_Horizon posted:

And that's what makes War of the Damned so great, it's blurring the lines between good and evil so they're hardly recognizable. You put a bunch of former slaves and gladiators into an army led by someone so clouded by vengeance he can barely see what's going on around him, and you have a recipe for a chaotic force that knows no limits.

Take the scene of Spartacus wandering through the camp and his encounter with the horse butcher. Previously he was at least passingly acquainted with everyone, and knew how everyone was doing. Now he has a good sized army with wives and children coming along in the encampment. Previously they could do a quick raid and be supplied for a few days. Now he has thousands of mouths to feed, the vast majority he doesn't know. While he's doing well in the strategy department to get things done, the problems of ongoing logistics are going to bite him in the rear end hard soon.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Azure_Horizon posted:

The funny thing is, to me it doesn't feel like Spartacus is that driven by vengeance anymore. This might just be a result of the change in actors, because Liam doesn't bring quite as much rage to the role as Andy did, but it almost looks to me like once he killed Glaber he found some amount of peace.

It goes back to what somebody else was saying about the fact that he went from being an angry thug (albeit a smart one) in Blood and Sand whose escape plan was literally "Kill them all" to a philosopher king dispensing pithy soundbites about freedom and smiling to himself about walking the streets unrecognized. To me, it almost looks like he used the revolution as means to take out his revenge on Glaber, and then found himself at the head of an army of freed slaves looking to him for guidance and decided to embrace the role (much as he originally did with the role of Spartacus the champion in the first season).

To me it's actually a really interesting idea, and certainly a very human one – although now even he is doing his best to see himself in the role, he's not actually this godlike incorruptible leader. He started a revolution as a way to achieve his own goals, and now that he's become a symbol he's just trying to fit the part. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but I wouldn't be surprised at all given how much they're blurring the lines in this season.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Don't forget that it seems to be getting away from him, like something out of Dune. He started killing Romans as vengeance, but now he's in front of this crazy train, without much say in how extreme or out of control it gets.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Shageletic posted:

Don't forget that it seems to be getting away from him, like something out of Dune. He started killing Romans as vengeance, but now he's in front of this crazy train, without much say in how extreme or out of control it gets.

So he is going to go out into the desert after being blinded and his son is going to take a bath in sand trout and end up having his dick falling off and having to use "Kirk Douglas" just to gently caress with people?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yes.

And it will be in slow motion.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bobkatt013 posted:

So he is going to go out into the desert after being blinded and his son is going to take a bath in sand trout and end up having his dick falling off and having to use "Kirk Douglas" just to gently caress with people?

God Emperor was the best Dune novel.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Goddamn it. Got some nachos ready, poured a margarita and then remembered that there was no new episode this week.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

muscles like this? posted:

Goddamn it. Got some nachos ready, poured a margarita and then remembered that there was no new episode this week.

Yeah I have like nothing else to watch on Fridays.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Same. (Well minus the margarita. I took... something else.)

Is this a lame attempt to rope people in to keeping Starz an extra month or what?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
No love for "You would be surprised at the reach of my stream, boy"? I busted up laughing at that. Also, Naevia is uncool because she killed a bro of the broest of bros.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

rejutka posted:

No love for "You would be surprised at the reach of my stream, boy"? I busted up laughing at that. Also, Naevia is uncool because she killed a bro of the broest of bros.

Naevia Ono is totally gonna break up the Fab Four, I just hope that Lugo gets to replace Crixus when it happens.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Bah, no new episode. Once again, the gods spreads cheeks wide...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

savinhill posted:

I just hope that Lugo gets to replace Crixus when it happens.

I hope i look like Barry Duffield when i'm 50... loving monster.

this is cool, Cast of GOTA doing the Haka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOkrqolXWjQ

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 18, 2013

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Rocksicles posted:

this is cool, Cast of GOTA doing the Hakka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOkrqolXWjQ

Well now I miss Andy all over again. :smith:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

savinhill posted:

Naevia Ono is totally gonna break up the Fab Four, I just hope that Lugo gets to replace Crixus when it happens.

Crixus gets killed by a goony Roman named Marcus Davidius Chapmanicus who wasn't even partial to either side, just wanted to kill someone famous.

Took me a while to catch up to episode 3, but I'm still not sure how to feel about Brad Caesar: Aussie Bro. I don't mind how he's written, it's just like someone else said, when it's based on someone with plenty of interesting stories that can create a disconnect.

Also, I'm hardly the biggest Rome expert, but it drives me nuts when the pilum (throwing javelins) that the Romans throw get picked up by Spartacus and turned against them. They were designed specifically to break upon impact to prevent just that, though the Romans tend to break formation in this show all the time anyway so yeah yeah yeah MY IMMERSION

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 18, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alan Smithee posted:

Crixus gets killed by a goony Roman named Marcus Davidius Chapmanicus who wasn't even partial to either side, just wanted to kill someone famous.

i do not like this compassion since none of them deserve to be a Ringo :colbert:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

i do not like this compassion since none of them deserve to be a Ringo :colbert:

I'm not sure how many gay viewers actually watch Spartacus but I feel like Nasir/Agron are more for "the ladies" (who are into yaoi) than anyone else. Therefore they are joint Ringo

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm not sure how many gay viewers actually watch Spartacus but I feel like Nasir/Agron are more for "the ladies" (who are into yaoi) than anyone else. Therefore they are joint Ringo

Honestly, Spartacus is one of the gayest shows on TV considering how much male gaze it has. I mean, there's female fantasizing about men and then there's just seeing dudes in skimpy outfits fighting each other and sweating and being ripped as gently caress.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

Honestly, Spartacus is one of the gayest shows on TV considering how much male gaze it has. I mean, there's female fantasizing about men and then there's just seeing dudes in skimpy outfits fighting each other and sweating and being ripped as gently caress.

Naw bro, they're all killing each other and poo poo! And when dudes gently caress dudes it's like a power thing which is mad alpha bro. Make that bro tapout bro!

And let's not forget about those fabulous dresses the women wear! It's kind of funny when naked women feel so...bland in a show like this

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

There's one thing the show has lost since moving away from the arena: the awesomely over enthusiastic crowd extras.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I think the gay stuff is interesting along the backdrop of how tolerant everyone seems. Better stay in the closet if you are a Roman though.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

There's one thing the show has lost since moving away from the arena: the awesomely over enthusiastic crowd extras.

Not going to lie, nothing made me laugh in this show harder than some extra in the crowd irrationally ripping open her shirt to free her breasts in bloodlust. Or the violence being so erotic two extras start loving in the crowd.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

LLJKSiLk posted:

I think the gay stuff is interesting along the backdrop of how tolerant everyone seems. Better stay in the closet if you are a Roman though.

If the awesome Roman history thread in A/T taught me anything it was that Romans didn't care if you were gay so long as you were on top.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Thwomp posted:

If the awesome Roman history thread in A/T taught me anything it was that Romans didn't care if you were gay so long as you were on top.

This is a mindset, that, sadly, still has not disappeared and could be found as easily as talking to some bicurious fraternity dude.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

vyst posted:

Not going to lie, nothing made me laugh in this show harder than some extra in the crowd irrationally ripping open her shirt to free her breasts in bloodlust. Or the violence being so erotic two extras start loving in the crowd.

I think if they brought in a crowd to watch one of the battle scenes that could easily be brought back

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Anybody else really confused by the pirate captain NOT being Ray Stevenson in a dark wig? Because they could be brothers.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Vince Colosimo.. greek-aussie dude. He's awesome in Chopper.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There's a new episode tonight this time, right?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Azure_Horizon posted:

This is a mindset, that, sadly, still has not disappeared and could be found as easily as talking to some bicurious fraternity dude.

Or prison!

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Babe Magnet posted:

There's a new episode tonight this time, right?

The cock rages on.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I'm guessing we'll have an angry Crassus tonight.

You won't like Crassus when he's angry.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Plus we find out about Caesar's stabby blowjob business, no?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

rejutka posted:

Plus we find out about Caesar's stabby blowjob business, no?

Yup!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Caeser is going to kill Gaenicus, isn't he? :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This was a pretty hosed up episode all around.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This was a pretty hosed up episode all around.

One of the most involving episodes of anything I've seen in a while. I can't believe how much I cared about certain scenes.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Caeser is going to kill Gaenicus, isn't he? :(

Caesar is going to be responsible for helping Spartacus escape at the end with his new Roman wife because he begins to like/respect him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Aaaaaand the show is firing on all cylinders again. I was worried for a while that Naevia had killed everyone's #1 bro Gannicus, but I was relieved when he showed back up later on.

What a great loving episode.

• Locked thread