Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Funkmaster General posted:

It says right in the video that it's the working title. That's not quite a code name and not quite an actual title - more like a publicly announced codename. Sometimes it ends up being the final title. I'd place bets on this one ending up as Dragon's Dogma: Deep Down.

And if I was shown that trailer with no proceeding title or developer information, I'd have thought it was related to Dark Souls. I think it was the focus shot on the fire that gives that vibe.

Deep Down - A Dragon's Dogma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That trailer doesn't really have the ambience or atmosphere of a Souls game. I was thinking 'Dragon's Dogma' as it was shown.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The weird bald guy is so Dragon's Dogma it hurts.

The herbs and sound effects fell out of Dragon's Dogma too, along with the dragon's floppy ear things. If it is DD2 I hope it's not PS4 exclusive, I was going to get an Xbox. :ohdear:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
If they do go with "Deep Down" they'll have a hard time naming a weapon after it. Maybe it'll be a quest called Deep Down.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
So what do you think would be the cheapest and most expedient way to get back into Dragon's Dogma? Considering that my near launch and probably out of warranty 360 died for a second time in the middle of my playthrough and with Dark Arisen and Deep Down incoming.

My original plan was to get Dark Arisen and a cheap PS3 during the upcoming PS4 craze before Christmas. But with Deep Down and the cloud backwards compatibility announced for the PS4 I think that it might be a better idea to wait until Deep Down is out and the launch hulabaloo dies down and then get a PS4? Splurging on two consoles doesn't really appeal to me. And who knows, maybe they finally decide to port Dark Arisen to the PC once it's out, though it's probably not likely.

Thoughts? Also I really can't be bothered to get my ancient 360 fixed, considering that all the good 360 games besides Dragon's Dogma that I'm interested in are available on the PC and the PS3 turned out to have more interesting exclusives.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would say get Dark Arisen once it comes out. We really don't know anything at all about Deep Down, the game could still be a few years away. I don't think it's going to be a launch title at all, or even out next year.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Okasvi posted:

So what do you think would be the cheapest and most expedient way to get back into Dragon's Dogma? Considering that my near launch and probably out of warranty 360 died for a second time in the middle of my playthrough and with Dark Arisen and Deep Down incoming.

My original plan was to get Dark Arisen and a cheap PS3 during the upcoming PS4 craze before Christmas. But with Deep Down and the cloud backwards compatibility announced for the PS4 I think that it might be a better idea to wait until Deep Down is out and the launch hulabaloo dies down and then get a PS4? Splurging on two consoles doesn't really appeal to me. And who knows, maybe they finally decide to port Dark Arisen to the PC once it's out, though it's probably not likely.

Thoughts? Also I really can't be bothered to get my ancient 360 fixed, considering that all the good 360 games besides Dragon's Dogma that I'm interested in are available on the PC and the PS3 turned out to have more interesting exclusives.

I can't say the streaming would work 100% as intended. You may not have good enough speeds for it to be a really enjoyable experience, but you know would a physical PS3, you won't be limited by internet and whatever they may decide to put on the cloud. And you can decide what other PS3 games to get and you have access to the PSN store.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Oh yeah, I was wondering if there's any way to address the extreme letterboxing that seems to be in the game?

It Sort of feels like I'm losing a good 20% of the screen because of it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
No. The game is in 1280x608 as it stands and if they removed the letterboxing it would only be to stretch the image out like other games do.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD3JJewekqk

They're making more of these videos in anticipation of Dark Arisen :dance:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

At this point it seems like there are probably more new enemies in Dark Arisen than were even in the vanilla game.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Giggily posted:

At this point it seems like there are probably more new enemies in Dark Arisen than were even in the vanilla game.

Most, if not all of the ones we've seen, have been based on animation bones used by vanilla game monsters, which cuts down a lot on how much work they are to make.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I feel bad because on one hand I don't want to validate Capcom's horseshit business model, but on the other hand I'm on the verge of selling my Dragon's Dogma copy tomorrow to put toward Dark Arisen because holy gently caress I want some more Dragon's Dogma.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
So, it looks like there will be monsters who only spawn after you kill monsters? I don't know if that's annoying or brilliant.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Technically, the Gryffon is already like that :v:

I think the video was just meant to juxtapose things we've come to dread fighting, like the Cockatrice, against some of the new monsters. Not necessarily that you have to kill x monster to get y monster to spawn. Though, that could certainly happen.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Playing the game again, puttering around the Everfall and I finally spawned the Double Gorechimera + Lich fight. Whew.

It's fine. I didn't even want those wakestones anyway.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Is she wearing an eyepatch?
Haha. One-eyed rangers, sure why not. I don't know what it says about me that I'm just as interested to know what any new equipment might look like.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I feel bad because on one hand I don't want to validate Capcom's horseshit business model, but on the other hand I'm on the verge of selling my Dragon's Dogma copy tomorrow to put toward Dark Arisen because holy gently caress I want some more Dragon's Dogma.

The easy way to not encourage it is wait a day or two then buy a used copy off eBay for probably less than retail. That's usually how I do new releases (If they don't include a bullshit code to discourage used sales) and it works pretty well for me, both financially and in situations like not directly encouraging Capcom's "Let's release the same game over and over again for more money" business model.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

AriadneThread posted:

I don't know what it says about me that I'm just as interested to know what any new equipment might look like.
It means that you use Dragon's Dogma the way most people use Dark Souls; As a Medieval Dress-Up Simulator that also lets you kill things in your color-coordinated murder-apparel.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Both Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma allows you to kill giant monsters while wearing pretty dresses and jaunty hats, regardless whether your PC is a man or a woman. What more do you want from a game? :allears:

EDIT

Nahxela posted:

Technically, the Gryffon is already like that :v:

I think the video was just meant to juxtapose things we've come to dread fighting, like the Cockatrice, against some of the new monsters. Not necessarily that you have to kill x monster to get y monster to spawn. Though, that could certainly happen.

Don't Necrophagus means eater of the dead or something like that? The line that the pawn gives, 'seems the stench of death lures more beasts" kind of imply if you kill monsters, you can attract more monsters drawn to its carcass which I think is a neat mechanic.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 22, 2013

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Has there been any confirmation one way or the other if all the new stuff is gated to the new area or if it populates out to the greater world?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

e: wrong thread :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

davidHalestorm posted:

Both Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma allows you to kill giant monsters while wearing pretty dresses and jaunty hats, regardless whether your PC is a man or a woman. What more do you want from a game? :allears:

You understand me, you understand that this is all I really want from my sandbox RPGs.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I hope there is a Dragon's Dogma 2 where you can jolly cooperate with anyone who hires your pawn as your pawn.

And there's a button you can slam to tell your new friend when something ill likes fire.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Bakalakadaka posted:

I hope there is a Dragon's Dogma 2 where you can jolly cooperate with anyone who hires your pawn as your pawn.

And there's a button you can slam to tell your new friend when something ill likes fire.

That's actually one of the biggest improvements they could make to the game for a sequel. Give it online actual co-op and a chatter button.

You can literally watch how people take down cyclops and learn how to do it yourself as well! Or they can learn from you. It's a natural progression from pawns learning.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
They'd have to make the way to defeat enemies a lot more obtuse for that to seem like a progression.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The best thing about online play would be watching 4/8/16/however many of your friends go flying as a giant monster as it shakes them all off, then all stand up and run back to it and start climbing up it to hack away again. Skills like the Ice Pillar and the Warrior one where you can jump on his sword as a platform would be so much fun multiplayer.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

davidHalestorm posted:

Don't Necrophagus means eater of the dead or something like that? The line that the pawn gives, 'seems the stench of death lures more beasts" kind of imply if you kill monsters, you can attract more monsters drawn to its carcass which I think is a neat mechanic.
Oh, that does make sense :v:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Ineffiable posted:

Give it online actual co-op and a chatter button.

>Murder-chan has joined your struggle. Your enemies have grown stronger!

There's a tent!

What a large tree!

What a large tree!

What a large tree!

There may be aught nearby ...

There's aught there

What a large tree!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I don't want direct co-op like that but I would like it if I could use a phone app to see when my pawn is currently adventuring in someone's world and hit a button to make them chatter.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

So getting back into practice ahead of Dark Arisen, I have a question about magic damage weaponry.

Between a purely physical dagger (Dragon's Vein 838phys/256mag) and a magical one (Chilling Razors, 541phys/663mag) which is strictly better? Do the razors factor the physical power at all, or only the magical power? It isn't terribly clear.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ramc posted:

So getting back into practice ahead of Dark Arisen, I have a question about magic damage weaponry.

Between a purely physical dagger (Dragon's Vein 838phys/256mag) and a magical one (Chilling Razors, 541phys/663mag) which is strictly better? Do the razors factor the physical power at all, or only the magical power? It isn't terribly clear.

Magical weapons use both physical and magic stats for damage. Generally speaking, if you are running with a mage or sorcerer that has a weapon enchantment spell, go with the physical. The enchantment spells override the target's magic stat and replaces them with the caster's, which is probably going to be higher. If you are going alone or don't have a support caster the magical weapons will normally do more damage as long as you're not up against enemies that resist the element.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

That's good to know! Thanks for the lowdown. My main pawn is a Sorcerer and I usually tote a mage pawn for healing, so I almost always have a boon spell in the wings. Vein it is for now.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
sorry if I missed this, but will you be able to load your dragons dogma save in Dark Arisen or will you have to start over?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Danith posted:

sorry if I missed this, but will you be able to load your dragons dogma save in Dark Arisen or will you have to start over?

Yes, and you'll get rewards for it too.

quote:

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen will allow you to import your existing characters and save data over from Dragon’s Dogma.
If you own the original Dragon’s Dogma, you’ll get bonuses for Dark Arisen. 100,000 Rift Crystals, unlimited Ferrystones and the Gransys Armour Pack, which contains six new costumes, will be available to owners of the original game for free when they pick up Dark Arisen.
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/23/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-flies-to-u-s-and-europe-in-april/#OZy2mBARC95ihTYf.99

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Ramc posted:

That's good to know! Thanks for the lowdown. My main pawn is a Sorcerer and I usually tote a mage pawn for healing, so I almost always have a boon spell in the wings. Vein it is for now.

I play around a lot with characters, but I've found myself going that route often as well. A good mage is a backbone of a team, and too many other people make lovely mages that have the worst possible buffs for endgame content where that kind of thing really matters.

Also, being a sorceror, getting to a safe vantage point, and then sucking up a dozen lizard men into a giant spinning vortex is the best feeling in the game.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

OK Octopus posted:

Also, being a sorceror, getting to a safe vantage point, and then sucking up a dozen lizard men into a giant spinning vortex is the best feeling in the game.

This but killing a Golem with Exequy instead of lizardmen with a tornado.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does anyone ever play as a mage or sorcerer themselves? I've always only tried for a couple minutes then decided not doing anything while I charge a spell is boring as hell and go back to ranger for long range combat.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

RBA Starblade posted:

Does anyone ever play as a mage or sorcerer themselves? I've always only tried for a couple minutes then decided not doing anything while I charge a spell is boring as hell and go back to ranger for long range combat.

I tried for a bit but yeah, the action in the game is a big part of the draw and mage/sorc don't feel as fun. If you still want to cast the occasional spell just go mystic knight, and then you can just swap out your sword for a staff and spells for a while when you feel its called for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Having a second mage or sorc standing next to you and casting the same spell speeds casting up considerably. Otherwise, you kind of have to stack the Duke's ring and the sorcerer faster casting passive.

• Locked thread