Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Excitebike World Challenge is manna from heaven and anyone that disagrees just plain doesn't like fun :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Monster Games has to be working on something new, right? They haven't made a non-Nintendo game since Excite Truck, and their last game was Pilotwings Resort which was a 3DS launch title.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Deluxe is normally the way to go, but if you want it for Monster Hunter, I'd suggest getting the Zombi U bundle. It's $385, comes with a 32gb console, digital copy of Nintendoland,a physical copy of Zombi U, and most importantly to you, the Professional Controller.

This will be my first real Monster Hunter experience. I'm gonna see how long I can go with just the Gamepad for now, but my Monster Hunter enthusiast friend tried the demo with both the pad and the professional controller, and he said the professional controller was much better. The sticks are too highly placed on the gamepad. Hopefully I'll adjust.

The 32Gb Deluxe bundle comes with a black Wii U controller that looks vaguely like a 360 controller. Is the one in the Zombi U bundle something with better hardware inside or something?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Monster Games has to be working on something new, right? They haven't made a non-Nintendo game since Excite Truck, and their last game was Pilotwings Resort which was a 3DS launch title.
Yeah them, and a bunch of others really, haven't had anything in a while so I imagine they're all working on something. Of course with the way Nintendo is now we probably won't know until a few months before release in a Nintendo Direct in the middle of the night/early morning.

Eej posted:

The 32Gb Deluxe bundle comes with a black Wii U controller that looks vaguely like a 360 controller. Is the one in the Zombi U bundle something with better hardware inside or something?
That's the Pro Controller, the regular Deluxe bundle doesn't have it at all barring some recent unannounced change. It's $50 by itself. So for $40 more you get a $60 game and $50 controller added on.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I went to buy my copy of F-Zero and saw that there was Google Wii Street U available for free in the eShop. I'm downloading it now but I'm assuming that it's Google Earth for Wii U. Not the most helpful of applications for a console but it's nice that they made it...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

japtor posted:

Yeah them, and a bunch of others really, haven't had anything in a while so I imagine they're all working on something. Of course with the way Nintendo is now we probably won't know until a few months before release in a Nintendo Direct in the middle of the night/early morning.

That's the Pro Controller, the regular Deluxe bundle doesn't have it at all barring some recent unannounced change. It's $50 by itself. So for $40 more you get a $60 game and $50 controller added on.

Ah okay, got the terminology messed up since "gamepad" seems to imply Pro Controller to me. That being said, $299 for a refurb deluxe unit still seems to be a better deal since I can get the $50 controller and save $40 from skipping a game I have no interest in.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Eej posted:

Ah okay, got the terminology messed up since "gamepad" seems to imply Pro Controller to me. That being said, $299 for a refurb deluxe unit still seems to be a better deal since I can get the $50 controller and save $40 from skipping a game I have no interest in.

To each his own, but ZombiU is a fantastic horror game reminiscent of Dark Souls, and it's definitely worth taking a look at, even if those kinds of games usually aren't your thing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Eej posted:

The normal deluxe bundle does not come with the pro controller. It costs $50 seperate. The Zombi-U deluxe bundle comes with that controller and Zombi-u, and I think it's only $35 more than the normal bundle.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Artix posted:

To each his own, but ZombiU is a fantastic horror game reminiscent of Dark Souls, and it's definitely worth taking a look at, even if those kinds of games usually aren't your thing.

I'll vouch for that, I usually hate horror games but I'm having an absolute blast with ZombiU. I think either way if you're getting the deluxe version then you'll have a game though. Just depends on the choice between ZombiU and Nintendoland.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I'd definitely pick NLand for the party fun. If you have friends over frequently the game is a blast.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's fun by yourself too. I don't know why people were crapping on Nintendoland, it does a great job of illustrating how you can use the controller. You can tell the devs really had fun with the thing.

But, ZombiU is excellent too. Do what I did: get both. And also New Super Mario Bros U.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yeah, Nintendo Land was a real surprise. Lots of fun and surprisingly deep in terms of amount of content.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Google Street U is really cool for showing friends the wii's capabilities. So far everyone I've shown has been like 'whaaat this is awesome!"

I wish I could put in two addresses and then have it "drive" between them, that would be really cool.

Does the ethernet adapter help at all with download speeds? I have a 50 mbit connection and I've been trying to download assassin's creed for about 24 hours, it says right now that it will be done in 6 hours but even that is ridiculous long.

ascii genitals fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 23, 2013

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I'm in the uk and looking to pick up a WiiU. At the moment i'm only interested in Nintendoland and Mario U (maybe zombiu and sonic racing later) but I want to pick up Monster Hunter when it's released. I already have the classic controller pro so I take it waiting for the Monster Hunter bundle isn't worth it (from the looks of it it costs £320 and doesn't come with Nintendoland, just the premium console and pro controller). That being said, what's the best deal on a WiiU in the uk?

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Did they update NintendoLand to stop the hard locks it was causing? I haven't touched it in about 2 months because I was too afraid it would gently caress up my U. ZombiU is awesome though. If I weren't swamped with other games I want to play on other systems I'd be putting waaaay more time into it. Did anyone make it through Hardcore mode with only 1 life yet? Weren't the devs taunting people at launch because no one could do it?

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Anecdotal but I haven't hard lock at all. I did have a few locks while playing zombiu a month or so ago, so I know what you mean. But yeah, nintendo land has worked flawlessly for me.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Yea, I haven't had a single hardlock since that update months ago.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MrFlibble posted:

I'm in the uk and looking to pick up a WiiU. At the moment i'm only interested in Nintendoland and Mario U (maybe zombiu and sonic racing later) but I want to pick up Monster Hunter when it's released. I already have the classic controller pro so I take it waiting for the Monster Hunter bundle isn't worth it (from the looks of it it costs £320 and doesn't come with Nintendoland, just the premium console and pro controller). That being said, what's the best deal on a WiiU in the uk?

I got mine from Game for £306 which was the ZombiU bundle. Most everywhere you'll be lucky to get below £300 for the regular Nintendoland deluxe.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
I've had about 5-6 hard locks that necessitated pulling the power plug from the back of the WiiU. Doesn't seem to be any pattern to them, except that they *may* be occurring when I try to start running apps after startup. Perhaps the WiiU is still running background startup processes for a few seconds after startup?

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

This is such a loving joke:

This is after 15 hours of downloading, having to baby sit it to prevent it from erroring it out (and having to entirely restart the download once.)

Speed test run from my laptop, using the same wireless router as the wii. In the same room as the wii.

Speed test on the wii. What???

26% of the full 16 gb file size complete means I have downloaded 4.16 gb, with 11.84 gb left to go.

48.216 hours is 173,580 seconds.
(11.84 gigabytes) / (173 580 seconds) = 71.5 KBps what. the. gently caress.

edit: out of nowhere its finally speeding up and im now getting 633 KB/s (nintendo is listening to me bitch through the controller's microphone!!!!!!!!) Still pretty poo poo, but 4 hours is better than the 48 it has been claiming it would take since last night.

ascii genitals fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 23, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yeah, WiiU downloads have some major issues. Sometimes they'll take super long to download, or super long to install. It's ridiculous.

Also love that your mii in the corner is also shocked and horrified.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Even worse, once it's done you'll have to play AC3. :v: (Although if the multiplayer is still active it might be okay.)

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I had several hardlocks before the update but have had none since.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

All of the consoles have really slow download times and I don't understand it. Do they not have any mirror servers???

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

njsykora posted:

I'll vouch for that, I usually hate horror games but I'm having an absolute blast with ZombiU. I think either way if you're getting the deluxe version then you'll have a game though. Just depends on the choice between ZombiU and Nintendoland.
I had no interest in ZombiU but I would've gotten it cause I figure I could sell it, and I would've preferred the digital copy of Nintendoland over the disc in the regular Deluxe bundle.

SyHopeful posted:

I've had about 5-6 hard locks that necessitated pulling the power plug from the back of the WiiU. Doesn't seem to be any pattern to them, except that they *may* be occurring when I try to start running apps after startup. Perhaps the WiiU is still running background startup processes for a few seconds after startup?
You might just have a bugged out console? I haven't heard much about it since the updates from a while back so if it's still happening maybe call up Nintendo.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah, WiiU downloads have some major issues. Sometimes they'll take super long to download, or super long to install. It's ridiculous.

Also love that your mii in the corner is also shocked and horrified.
I don't even bother waiting on Wii U, or 3DS for that matter. I just do it when I'm not actually planning to play like before bed and set the "power down after completing downloads" thing, or the "download later" during sleep option on 3DS.

I gotta try that speed test some time to see if it's just all Wii Us or if routers or other variables have anything to do with it.

Edit: spikes to about 2mbps before settling to around 1.5 vs 25ish on other devices, error on upload (...better than on iOS there at least, it appears to lock up Safari on upload :v:)

japtor fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 23, 2013

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
I tried speedof.me and on my computer I got 20mb/s as I should, yet on my Wii U I get anywhere between 1 and 2mb/s. Both are on a wired connection. The speeds were the same on the Wii U over wireless too.

+1 for "dislike horror but liked ZombiU".

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

SyHopeful posted:

There were firmware/software based lockups for just about everyone in the first couple of weeks, but those seem to have been largely patched up. If you're still having them, it could be your hardware.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Quest For Glory II posted:

All of the consoles have really slow download times and I don't understand it. Do they not have any mirror servers???

The 360 is the only console I have that had adequate download times. But that was wired. Both my wireless PS3 and wireless Wii are pretty slow, but its much less of a problem on the wii

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

blackguy32 posted:

The 360 is the only console I have that had adequate download times. But that was wired. Both my wireless PS3 and wireless Wii are pretty slow, but its much less of a problem on the wii

That's one of the reasons I was bummed about no ethernet port. Wireless is great and all but I love the dependability of a wired connection. If I was downloading more on the Wii I'd check out one of those adapters.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Supercar Gautier posted:

There were firmware/software based lockups for just about everyone in the first couple of weeks, but those seem to have been largely patched up. If you're still having them, it could be your hardware.

Possibly. I bought mine well after those updates rolled out. Right now it hasn't happened enough to push me to take action. Maybe I'm just optimistic because I still have my launch Wii and it runs perfectly.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

There were a few WiiUs that did indeed get a "blue ring of death" out of the box, or after a short use time.

So, use the poo poo out of your console and see if it breaks, or it might break out of warranty.

EDIT: Only have 19 uses left on the MHTriU demo. March 19th why can't you be here already :negative:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah the Wii download speeds aren't too bad, I wonder when they'll eventually shift those servers over to Wii U and just leave one behind for legacy purposes.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ascii genitals posted:

Does the ethernet adapter help at all with download speeds? I have a 50 mbit connection and I've been trying to download assassin's creed for about 24 hours, it says right now that it will be done in 6 hours but even that is ridiculous long.
What I've heard about the ethernet adapter is that it provides no speed advantage and is even slower at times. It's only recommended if you legitimately have no access to wi-fi.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

There were a few WiiUs that did indeed get a "blue ring of death" out of the box, or after a short use time.

So, use the poo poo out of your console and see if it breaks, or it might break out of warranty.

EDIT: Only have 19 uses left on the MHTriU demo. March 19th why can't you be here already :negative:

I run it frequently as my Netflix box so it gets a workout.

Also have you made a single post in this thread that could be construed as positive?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
More anecdotal evidence: I bought my WiiU two weeks ago and haven't had a single freeze. Updated first thing, so could be the patch did do something. Of course, I could be just lucky, I think I've only logged about 10 hours of use so far.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Static Rook posted:

Even worse, once it's done you'll have to play AC3. :v: (Although if the multiplayer is still active it might be okay.)

Yeah I liked the first two ok, they get boring quickly, but I just wanted something violent to play around with until better games come out and I'm tired as poo poo of stuff like black ops.

I need something to tide me over till sim city comes out in 2 weeks :P

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Minidust posted:

What I've heard about the ethernet adapter is that it provides no speed advantage and is even slower at times. It's only recommended if you legitimately have no access to wi-fi.

Would it stop the constant connection errors I get with my Wii U? It's really frustrating that I own all these gaming devices that use my wireless flawlessly and all I just want my Wii U to behave when I'm on the internet. I was browsing some stores the other day and I saw them clearing out Datel brand Wii Ethernet adapters for like $20, but I wasn't sure on it then.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

More anecdotal evidence: I bought my WiiU two weeks ago and haven't had a single freeze. Updated first thing, so could be the patch did do something. Of course, I could be just lucky, I think I've only logged about 10 hours of use so far.

I've only had mine for 3-4 weeks and had that one big system update at startup as well. Hopefully you don't have to pull your plug!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SyHopeful posted:

Also have you made a single post in this thread that could be construed as positive?

I've made plenty of positive posts! The WiiU is just frankly kind of lovely right now due to no games, slow-bad OS, limited amount of people that even know the console exists so there aren't a lot of people online for Sonic/CoD, etc.

On a positive note, it's going to get better when there's actual games on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I've had mine hardlock about 2:30 into a single episode of fringe using amazon prime, but no other issues. It's really weird because I watched plenty of other stuff with no issues.

I've also had the amazon app hardlock my ps3 regularly, so frankly I'm not surprised.

• Locked thread