Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

Croccers posted:

I know MGS4 used it for peeking out of dumpsters. Infamous 1 for controlling the lightning strike. Uncharted 1 used it for grenades and stupid balancing when on beams maybe.
Uhh.... that's all I remember using sixaxis for.
Clearly, you don't remember the "Masterpiece" that was LAIR. The game that was suppose to launch the ps3 straight to the top, and make the wiimote cry in the corner at how lame it was and the xbox grovel at it's feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Have the Big Three taken over this thread? I wanna read about the OUYApants :(.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Wasper posted:

Clearly, you don't remember the "Masterpiece" that was LAIR. The game that was suppose to launch the ps3 straight to the top, and make the wiimote cry in the corner at how lame it was and the xbox grovel at it's feet.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Oh, now you HAVE to tell us where that image came from. :allears:

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
http://en.seoi.net/yurai/?n=Nintendo

Well, now I know why this is the only game system I own.

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young
Somebody on my Facebook says they can't wait for the AEIOUYA. How do I let them down gently?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wasper posted:

I had that game at launch day. That.. that was a poor decision. It's controls out of the gate were so awful they had to patch in a regular control scheme and the touted "play this on your PSP" feature didn't work because the mandatory tutorial required you to push a button the PSP did not have and therefore would never progress. poo poo from top to bottom.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Repelex posted:

Somebody on my Facebook says they can't wait for the AEIOUYA. How do I let them down gently?

1) Stand behind them
2) Explain there will be Rabbits on the Ouya
3) Pull the trigger.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Repelex posted:

Show them XBLIG, ask them why they expect the OUYA to be different.

edit: It's been nearly a month since the last UMLAUT blog update. Most of the last few updates were about Game Jams. I'm not sure this thing is going to be great, guys.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 22, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Repelex posted:

Why let them down at all? I prefer to work people like that into a frenzy where they need to buy it IMMEDIATELY

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

ReV VAdAUL posted:

1) Stand behind them
2) Explain there will be Rabbits on the Ouya
3) Pull the trigger.

You hadda, Rev. I swear you hadda.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Repelex posted:

Tell them you are personally buying 10 Ewwyea's to flip them on ebay due to the inevitable massive demand.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I just found out that somebody I work with bought an OUYA dev kit.

Of course, he has never released a game before. But that doesn't stop Uhrman from including him in their "developers" count.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

katkillad2 posted:

Tell them you are personally buying 10 Ewwyea's to flip them on ebay due to the inevitable massive demand.

I'm buying 5 aibos for bitcoin mining!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wasper posted:

Flower was played entirely using Sixaxis. Granted, that's literally the only game I can think of that made good use of it, but at least there's one.

Oh, right, Heavy Rain had some Sixaxis stuff too.

When did the OOMPALOOMPA get its release date changed? I thought it was coming out like next week.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

theflyingorc posted:

Show them XBLIG, ask them why they expect the OUYA to be different.

edit: It's been nearly a month since the last UMLAUT blog update. Most of the last few updates were about Game Jams. I'm not sure this thing is going to be great, guys.

Try this.

http://killscreendaily.com/articles/news/your-ouya-create-game-jam-winners-are-here/

It makes a difference from all of the bad Ouya games that have been posted here.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Barudak posted:

I had that game at launch day. That.. that was a poor decision. It's controls out of the gate were so awful they had to patch in a regular control scheme and the touted "play this on your PSP" feature didn't work because the mandatory tutorial required you to push a button the PSP did not have and therefore would never progress. poo poo from top to bottom.

As I recall, it wasn't actually touted and in fact was a complete accident. You're supposed to disable PS3 games from remote play and LAIR's devs didn't.

Not that I'm trying to justify it. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Spark That Bled posted:

Try this.

http://killscreendaily.com/articles/news/your-ouya-create-game-jam-winners-are-here/

It makes a difference from all of the bad Ouya games that have been posted here.
Oh look more games with that "retro" and/or "minecraft knockoff" look. One of the "award winning games" is called "2D Cube Zombie Platformer" for gently caress's sake. It's the same garbage with a miniscule amount of extra effort involved. How is that making any difference at all, you knob?

Also the first game studio is called "Free Lives." Everyone knows that's the scrub tier name for "extra guys." :colbert:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
OUYAs games library is going to reminiscent of the indie windows game scene in the mid 90s where 9 out of 10 games would open a white Win3.1 window with the blue bar across the top and all of the sprites drawn in MSPaint and game control out of some 'My First VB project' book.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Spark That Bled posted:

Try this.

The only thing there that didn't look like complete poo poo was that Murder Island game, and even that was only a "I might buy that for a couple dollars if it was a Greenlight" game and not anywhere near a "I must spend $100 to buy the means to play this" game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Looking forward to the Snap into a Slim Jim OUYA launching and having top sellers like SNES Emulator #31 and Genesis Emulator #29.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Evil Fluffy posted:

Looking forward to the Snap into a Slim Jim OUYA launching and having top sellers like SNES Emulator #31 and Genesis Emulator #29.

"sellers"

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Oh look more games with that "retro" and/or "minecraft knockoff" look. One of the "award winning games" is called "2D Cube Zombie Platformer" for gently caress's sake. It's the same garbage with a miniscule amount of extra effort involved. How is that making any difference at all, you knob?

Nah, these games definitely have more thought put into them than Car Jumper.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Spark That Bled posted:

You say that like that means anything.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
It doesn't?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

raditts posted:

The only thing there that didn't look like complete poo poo was that Murder Island game, and even that was only a "I might buy that for a couple dollars if it was a Greenlight" game and not anywhere near a "I must spend $100 to buy the means to play this" game.

"Most immersive" award give to a game where characters slide up ladders. Yeah.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Spark That Bled posted:

If a song sounds better than someone randomly hitting keys on a piano it does not mean it is going to go platinum.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

More thought put into it than Car Jumper isn't exactly an amazing achievement for any game in the grand scheme of things. It especially doesn't make up for all the extra lovely games here when even the good ones look like terrible games you'd get off the XBLIG market.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

More thought put into it than Car Jumper isn't exactly an amazing achievement for any game in the grand scheme of things. It especially doesn't make up for all the extra lovely games here when even the good ones look like terrible games you'd get off the XBLIG market.

It makes for the fact that some people are taking game development on the Ouya with some degree of seriousness, instead of slapping out trash. People are actually trying to make a proper game here.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Spark That Bled posted:

It makes for the fact that some people are taking game development on the Ouya with some degree of seriousness, instead of slapping out trash. People are actually trying to make a proper game here.

Sorry buddy but despite their best intentions you ain't gonna be getting OSCAMAYAs off the shelves with games that were literally made over a weekend.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

quote:

The "Best Couch With Friends" Award: 2D Cube Zombie Platformer

I genuinely thought you were kidding. The whole indie/flash game scene is loving trash where the bare minimum of effort passes as irony or commentary because people are so desperate for games to be art or some poo poo.

Edit: One of their winners seems to be a game where you control a tv remote and watch tv while trying to uncover a dark conspiracy in the background. Its like the worst of the 2600 era combined with the worst of Braid. OHYEAH.

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 24, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

raditts posted:

Sorry buddy but despite their best intentions you ain't gonna be getting OSCAMAYAs off the shelves with games that were literally made over a weekend.

Definitely; there's sort of an implication by the contest runners that every one of those games will be continued to be developed into a full game, but there's no guarantee of that. Some teams are heading in that direction, but many of them either have other projects or just don't have the desire/competence to complete the project.

There are a few that look cool and are getting more development, though, like online starfox:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAvc47js7oU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

XboxPants posted:

Definitely; there's sort of an implication by the contest runners that every one of those games will be continued to be developed into a full game, but there's no guarantee of that. Some teams are heading in that direction, but many of them either have other projects or just don't have the desire/competence to complete the project.

XboxPants, buddy, please read this sentence. Then read it again. Go ahead and read it a third time. Then tell me how you can actually anticipate the BOOYAH.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

XboxPants posted:

There are a few that look cool and are getting more development, though, like online starfox:

I think they play the sound of that youtube video to Guantanamo Bay detainees on a loop for 24 hours a day.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

XboxPants posted:

The best graphics that 1999 has to offer.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Red_Mage posted:

The best graphics that 1999 has to offer.

Not joking. I've been catching up on JustAFriend's Spyro 2 and 3 LPs and thought I had reopened a closed tab.

Actually this looks worse than Spyro three.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

XboxPants posted:

How dare you compare Starfox to this.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Joe Don Baker posted:

XboxPants, buddy, please read this sentence. Then read it again. Go ahead and read it a third time. Then tell me how you can actually anticipate the BOOYAH.

Most of those entries won't become fully fleshed out games. Of those that do, only a few of them will be fun and good. But a few fun & good games is enough for me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Haraksha posted:

How dare you compare Starfox to this.

Hey man it has cutting-edge sounds that easily rival the best of any Atari 400 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satchbag
Dec 27, 2012
I had a chance to play this at IndieCade East last week. This box is tiny. The controller isn't as ergonomically fitting as the Xbox 360 controller, but it's not a problem. I wonder how it will do. The Ouya is pushing predominantly indie titles and that seems to be their market. But indie developers already have a number of older, captivating venues at their disposal, especially with the Steam Box around the corner. I wonder if the Ouya's game submission politics will compensate for the strict competition. I'm not master on the topic, by the way.

• Locked thread