Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Irrationally irritating movie moment: the fact that the character of Sam inexplicably disappears after the first half of Casablanca.

Rick concludes the movie with "Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." You've already got a friend, Rick! He's called Sam and you've known him for years and he's probably playing the piano in your bar right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Harry Potter slight sperg.

1) Camp defenses in the 7th book. Harry does in fact cast them at least once. After Ron leaves Hermione is too hosed in the head to bother and Harry does it so she can be left alone and so he is occupied for a minute. It's in both the books and the movies.

2) World hunger actually could be solved by Wizards in a heartbeat. Food cannot be summoned from nowhere but if you have some you can make more of it. Comes up in the 7th book when they're eating crap food that tastes nasty and Ron comments that his mother can summon a feast at will and Hermione goes off on her own little sperg on why no Ron's mother couldn't do poo poo because you can't make food out of nothing. She comments then that if you have some you can multiply it and Ron fires back that what they're eating tastes like poo poo so there's no point in having more of it.

There are a few instances in the books where people summon drinks out of nowhere. Happens twice in the 6th book that I can remember, Fudge summons a pair of brandy glasses or something and Dumbledore summons a bottle of mead and some glasses. Don't know what's up with that, if we're just supposed to assume that they prepared it in advance and teleported it or if Rowling just forgot.

3) Ron's dress robes - Someone said they were a family heirloom or some poo poo, which is wrong. They were bought second hand and his mother got him some cheap crappy ones because it was all they could afford. I think we're supposed to assume that everyone else attending had robes already and Ron was the only one who they had to actually buy them for at the time, and money was tight at that particular moment.

The whole "Harry is the reader insert and thus is as ignorant as you are about magic most of the time" thing does bother me alot. One of the moments that irks the hell out of me the most was in the 5th book. Hermione mentions she's still in touch with Viktor Krum and says that Krum told her that Harry knew magic Krum didn't even though Krum was in his final year. Uhhh like what? The scene really implies that Harry knows some impressive magic. Not just that stupid compass spell or stunning or other things which are absolutely common as hell that everyone seems to know how to do.

I know that's not a movie but it still bothers the ever loving hell out of me.

In the Harry Potter movies the thing that irritated me the most was something they did that literally cut like 30 seconds worth of filming. Instead of showing Dumbledore and Harry going off the grounds to aparate to the cave Dumbledore just smiles kinda smugly and says "Well being me has it's privileges". Not only was it lazy as hell and wrong but it was flat out out of character for Dumbledore.

Another movie moment, I re-watched I, Robot today and right towards the end there's this part where Smith loses the smg he's been carrying around and it falls down and hangs on this cable. At first it looks like the cable phases through the drat sling, but when you watch it in slow mo it's just ridiculously implausible. The gun's sling hits the cable, swings around it, and hangs on the gun's magazine causing the gun to sit there over empty space. In order for this to be even remotely physically possible the sling would have to have a weight on the end of it heavier than the gun so that it would act like a bolo.

And last because I just finished watching TDKR again, there's this one moment in the first Bane fight which is absolutely loving stupid. He throws something in the air that explodes a few times and makes a small amount of smoke that you can easily see through. Not an actual flash bang, not a smoke bomb, I don't even know what the hell it was supposed to be besides Batman's version of the decoy detonator: midly annoying and distracting. It was literally the one moment in the film that no matter how hard I try I cannot whitewash or ignore, it bugs me every single time I watch it like that one fly that gets in your house and no matter how much you chase it you can't manage to loving kill the thing, but as soon as you stop paying attention it's buzzing around your head.

TheSpiritFox has a new favorite as of 13:18 on Feb 21, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TheSpiritFox posted:

There are a few instances in the books where people summon drinks out of nowhere. Happens twice in the 6th book that I can remember, Fudge summons a pair of brandy glasses or something and Dumbledore summons a bottle of mead and some glasses. Don't know what's up with that, if we're just supposed to assume that they prepared it in advance and teleported it or if Rowling just forgot.

The enslaved elves have food and drinks prepared to be teleported whenever anyone wants them.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

TheSpiritFox posted:

And last because I just finished watching TDKR again, there's this one moment in the first Bane fight which is absolutely loving stupid. He throws something in the air that explodes a few times and makes a small amount of smoke that you can easily see through. Not an actual flash bang, not a smoke bomb, I don't even know what the hell it was supposed to be besides Batman's version of the decoy detonator: midly annoying and distracting. It was literally the one moment in the film that no matter how hard I try I cannot whitewash or ignore, it bugs me every single time I watch it like that one fly that gets in your house and no matter how much you chase it you can't manage to loving kill the thing, but as soon as you stop paying attention it's buzzing around your head.

I think that was supposed to be a form of a flash bang, but we see it as Bane saw it (since he was expecting it), just a few pops and flashes. If Batman were fighting a standard grunt, that scene would have been a lot more frenzied, and that guy would have been completely hosed up by the flashes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

qntm posted:

Irrationally irritating movie moment: the fact that the character of Sam inexplicably disappears after the first half of Casablanca.

Rick concludes the movie with "Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." You've already got a friend, Rick! He's called Sam and you've known him for years and he's probably playing the piano in your bar right now!

Rick sells the bar and gets Sam a better cut of the money when he does it right before he plans to leave. He purposefully does this before the climatic scene because he doesn't want to hurt Sam or have anyone chasing after him since Rick knows he's going to be a very wanted man. Rick did not go into the final confrontation expecting Louis to be willing to throw his career away as well, hence the surprise and "Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Non Serviam posted:

People actually do that?!

I am so decepcionado :(

Spanglish is a real thing although not typically quite how its portrayed in TV and Movies.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

RudeVegetables posted:

drat, I was going to complain about time and money in Dark Knight Rises. Oh well.

So I refused to watch Dirty Dancing for the longest time, just to annoy any women I knew ("I CAN'T belieeeeve you havent seeeeeeeen it!"), When I finally did, It turns out that Baby is not sitting in a corner unable to join in the large-fun-involves-everybody-dance. She's just watching the awful show with her folks, and is really just sitting next to a pole. Huh. Stupid line that everybody repeats like its a big thing

You missed the point a bit. Baby's family isn't actively trying to exclude her, it's that they have such high expectations for her to be saviour of the world that they fail to notice that she has other interests besides politics/world issues/etc. They assume that Lisa is the only one who likes performing. No one at the resort even bothers to ask Baby if she wants to be involved in the show, they just volunteer her for props. Johnny's the first person who has seen a side of Baby that she's been unable to show to anyone else because of their high expectations of her. The famous line is just calling her family out for assuming that she's shy, withdrawn, and uptight.

It seems like you already decided you were going to dislike the film before you even watched it, so I am guessing my explanation isn't going to mean much to you.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Clearly Skynet sent the T-1000 through in a meat container. Like a big box made out of steaks sewn around a wooden frame. Just pored him into it and kicked it into the time portal. The T-1000 pops out and quickly hides the steak-box out of sight, where it is later found by a very lucky hobo.

Plothole closed, you're welcome.

They actually did that in one of the comics. They sowed a bunch of laser guns and future robo grenades into a bunch of human prisoners, then chucked them through the time portal with a terminator.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

I think that was supposed to be a form of a flash bang, but we see it as Bane saw it (since he was expecting it), just a few pops and flashes. If Batman were fighting a standard grunt, that scene would have been a lot more frenzied, and that guy would have been completely hosed up by the flashes.

You cannot "expect" a flash bang. The magnesium burn is bright enough to literally temporarily blind you and the sound is designed to be loud and powerful enough to gently caress with your inner ear. Bane even says "Theatricality and Deception" which is not what a flash bang is. Flash bangs are straight up incapacitation.

I think it wasn't meant to be either. I like it was literally a distraction. Something designed to freak someone out like "what the gently caress did you just throw at me?!" so he gets an opening to do something. Which is loving stupid just give him a smoke bomb or something.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Read After Burning posted:

Its been quite some time since I've seen it, but a certain scene in High Tension(or Switchblade Romance in the UK) drives me absolutely nuts.

* High Tension silliness *

I totally agree with you. The scene that you're describing isn't the scene that boggles my mind though, it's the (spoilers for a scene near the end of High Tension)car chase scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSH44fnHVlA. Wait... what? The thing that bugs me about it is that it doesn't really add anything to the movie. It's just dumb.

When I watched Adaptation, there was a scene that immediately made me think of High Tension. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap9g2vR32Vg

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Non Serviam posted:

People actually do that?!

I am so decepcionado :(

It's called code switching and is pretty common among bilingual people.

E: also language transfer may account for some instances.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Feb 21, 2013

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

TheSpiritFox posted:

You cannot "expect" a flash bang. The magnesium burn is bright enough to literally temporarily blind you and the sound is designed to be loud and powerful enough to gently caress with your inner ear. Bane even says "Theatricality and Deception" which is not what a flash bang is. Flash bangs are straight up incapacitation.

I think it wasn't meant to be either. I like it was literally a distraction. Something designed to freak someone out like "what the gently caress did you just throw at me?!" so he gets an opening to do something. Which is loving stupid just give him a smoke bomb or something.

Yeah Batman would be pretty bad hero if he flashbanged himself and spent the rest of the film doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tekhh7Iy-sM

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Yeah Batman would be pretty bad hero if he flashbanged himself and spent the rest of the film doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tekhh7Iy-sM

Well now I'm imagining Christian Bale going mhap in his super gravely "I'm Batman" voice and it's pretty great. Probably would have made the film better.

"This isn't mhap a car mhap."

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Jolo posted:

I totally agree with you. The scene that you're describing isn't the scene that boggles my mind though, it's the (spoilers for a scene near the end of High Tension)car chase scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSH44fnHVlA. Wait... what? The thing that bugs me about it is that it doesn't really add anything to the movie. It's just dumb.

Yeah, I guess the scene where he is pouring booze on her and threatening her with the match is supposed to remind us "LOOK HOW hosed UP AND SCARY THIS GUY IS :byodood:", but is it actually happening? Is the chick actually the one messing with her (and if so, why?), or did it even happen at all?

Plus I don't think the song fits. :colbert:

Bone grass
Feb 3, 2012

TheSpiritFox posted:

The whole "Harry is the reader insert and thus is as ignorant as you are about magic most of the time" thing does bother me alot. One of the moments that irks the hell out of me the most was in the 5th book. Hermione mentions she's still in touch with Viktor Krum and says that Krum told her that Harry knew magic Krum didn't even though Krum was in his final year. Uhhh like what? The scene really implies that Harry knows some impressive magic. Not just that stupid compass spell or stunning or other things which are absolutely common as hell that everyone seems to know how to do.

That's a really dumb complaint considering it's explained in the same sentence:

quote:

Yes, Harry,' said Hermione gently, 'but all the same, there's no point pretending that you're not good at Defence Against the Dark Arts, because you are. You were the only person last year who could throw off the Imperius Curse completely, you can produce a Patronus, you can do all sorts of stuff that full-grown wizards can't, Viktor always said -'

Ron looked round at her so fast he appeared to crick his neck. Rubbing it, he said, 'Yeah? What did Vicky say?'

'Ho ho,' said Hermione in a bored voice. 'He said Harry knew how to do stuff even he didn't, and he was in the final year at Durmstrang.'

The Patronus charm probably isn't taught at Durmstrang and we know from the previous book that Krum can't resist the Imperius.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Bone grass posted:

The Patronus charm probably isn't taught at Durmstrang and we know from the previous book that Krum can't resist the Imperius.

And even at Hogwarts, it was taught only to Harry, not the class as a whole.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I haven't read Harry Potter or seen the movies, but Durmstrang, is that a pun on "Sturm und Drang" as in the German artistic movement?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Bone grass posted:

That's a really dumb complaint considering it's explained in the same sentence:

I mentioned the Patronus but "do magic" implies more than "resist Imperius Curse". That doesn't even fall into "Harry knows how to do this" he just does it and has no clue why he is any different from his classmates. Yeah, Patronus is Newt level or whatever it's probably not overly common to teach that, but even your example continues with the "he can do all kinds of things grown wizards can't" without ever telling us a drat thing about what those things are. I get being impressed by the ability to cast a patronus, since it's a difficult spell or whatever, but the implication is that there's a good bit more than that and really so far as what's written there isn't.

I think it's a pretty understandable frustration with the books that they spend so much time learning magic but there was never that extra smattering of details. I mean, like someone said earlier, he spends so drat much time using expelliarmus it's ridiculous. Like in the 7th book when they have the early ambush and he only casts to disarm. Uhh, how about the Impediment Jinx? The one that stops dudes dead? Stopping dudes who are chasing you cold for a minute or so seems like a great spell to use, it lets you gain some distance. How about some other spell which would be effective? Why not throw in a curse that makes people temporarily blind? Magic can do all kinds of poo poo you should be able to blind someone, that would stop them chasing you. There were lots of opportunities to vary up the magic and actually make it seem like Harry knew some cool poo poo.

The end of the series bothered me for this reason. Using expelliarmus on Voldemort as the curse that defeats him could have been symbolic. He knows all this cool poo poo but at the end he chooses this spell because it sends a message. Instead it's like his default spell, which he uses all the drat time, and he just uses it again.

While I'm spergin, in the third book the trio all cast expelliarmus on snape and the force of the three spells blasts him across the room into a wall knocking him unconscious. Seriously? Give them more drat spells to use and make him get knocked out because of that. Make them cast three different curses so his want gets knocked away and he gets paralyzed and in falling over unable to move his head hits something and he's out. Bam, some semblance of "these kids have been learning magic for three drat years and know at least a few things".

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
You seriously need to read the books loving at all. He casts so many loving normal spells, just because Rowling doesn't tell you the magical spell words so you can't yell it at your friends in your backyard doesn't mean that harry doesn't use them. He probably uses the shield spell nearly as much as expelliarmus.

I noticed that people who think Harry doesn't know any spells have never actually read the books and only seen the movies. Daniel Radcliffe yelling expelliarmus into the camera is a pretty iconic shot, so I can understand how that's all people remember.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The fact that Harry prefers to disarm people over anything else is the message. It's like how Voldemort keeps using Avada Kedavra over and over and over again. Disarm vs kill. The message is practically slapping us back and forth across the face trying to get our attention.

Harry also does stun people quite a bit; he does it in the cafe when they were being hunted, just for instance. He creates water when he needs to. Summons and levitates objects, create zones of silence, repair objects, wipe memories, control minds, teleport at will, etc. Etc etc. But really, the point is that Harry's forte is self-defense; that's what he has focused on and what he's better at than most other wizards. Which isn't hard to believe considering he's survived seven years of the universe trying to kill him while other wizards are dying by the droves.

Average wizards aren't actually that good at combat, many can't make shield spells at all, and are generally terrified of being targeted by Death Eaters. This is like the third time it's been pointed out here; I don't know why people keep getting the impression that adult wizards are great at advanced magic in the Harry Potter universe. Hermione gets the better of Rita Skeeter. Mundungus is intimidated by Harry. Lockhart wipes his own memory in front of two twelve year olds. The majority of the adult wizards we meet are teachers at Hogwarts or wizard militia, not ordinary citizens who are repeatedly depicted as buffoons or helpless in the face of literally anything.

True, the Patronus charm doesn't seem like some sort of big deal at first glance since it only seems to have one purpose, until you consider that it's a physical representation of your soul that you can send across vast distances to do your bidding. Isn't that the sort of high level magic we'd expect from accomplished wizards?

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

It's been a while since I read the books but I'm pretty sure the reason Harry's Defense Against the Dark Arts secret club or whatever in the 5th/6th book (5th I think) was so successful (and possibly why it was included at all) is because it allowed for a lot of establishing Harry being super good at that compared to everyone else. There weren't a lot of specific examples used, even in the book, but I remember a lot of the club members struggling to master pretty much any spell they went over, with Harry not really having to try. Since he really does use those spells all the time no one really thinks about it but I think they did an okay job of showing that he really did have an aptitude for it not many other people had. I think there was also a line at some point about how Fred and George make some kind of joke item with a shield charm on it, and how the Ministry of Magic surprisingly bought a jillion of these prank items because most of their staff can't actually cast it well.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

The fact that Harry prefers to disarm people over anything else is the message. It's like how Voldemort keeps using Avada Kedavra over and over and over again. Disarm vs kill. The message is practically slapping us back and forth across the face trying to get our attention.

Harry also does stun people quite a bit; he does it in the cafe when they were being hunted, just for instance. He creates water when he needs to. Summons and levitates objects, create zones of silence, repair objects, wipe memories, control minds, teleport at will, etc. Etc etc. But really, the point is that Harry's forte is self-defense; that's what he has focused on and what he's better at than most other wizards. Which isn't hard to believe considering he's survived seven years of the universe trying to kill him while other wizards are dying by the droves.

Average wizards aren't actually that good at combat, many can't make shield spells at all, and are generally terrified of being targeted by Death Eaters. This is like the third time it's been pointed out here; I don't know why people keep getting the impression that adult wizards are great at advanced magic in the Harry Potter universe. Hermione gets the better of Rita Skeeter. Mundungus is intimidated by Harry. Lockhart wipes his own memory in front of two twelve year olds. The majority of the adult wizards we meet are teachers at Hogwarts or wizard militia, not ordinary citizens who are repeatedly depicted as buffoons or helpless in the face of literally anything.

True, the Patronus charm doesn't seem like some sort of big deal at first glance since it only seems to have one purpose, until you consider that it's a physical representation of your soul that you can send across vast distances to do your bidding. Isn't that the sort of high level magic we'd expect from accomplished wizards?

I'm agreeing with you here, but for the people who aren't, let's use an analogy.
A person could join the military, and there they could learn to use many different weapons such as handguns, rifles, machine guns, grenades, etc. But there could always be one in particular that they prefer or are just better with. Just because you don't see a character use a particular weapon doesn't mean they don't know how, it means they are more comfortable with something else.

Now, assuming all wizards go through Hogwarts or some other wizarding school, you would think they all know the basic spells and should be able to defend themselves against Death Eaters. But just like there are people who have been exposed to guns and are still uncomfortable using them, there are probably wizards who aren't confident in using their magic to defend themselves.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

JustinMorgan posted:

Now, assuming all wizards go through Hogwarts or some other wizarding school, you would think they all know the basic spells and should be able to defend themselves against Death Eaters. But just like there are people who have been exposed to guns and are still uncomfortable using them, there are probably wizards who aren't confident in using their magic to defend themselves.

They imply a couple of times that if you like in Britain, it's Hogwarts or nothing. But only some people get accepted. So basically, there's an entire working class of wizards who aren't educated in anything more complex than what you'd find in daily life (Move this poo poo here, chop some food, clean these carpets, etc).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Carthag posted:

I haven't read Harry Potter or seen the movies, but Durmstrang, is that a pun on "Sturm und Drang" as in the German artistic movement?

Almost certainly. A lot of the names in Harry Potter are puns, like the werewolf being called Remus Lupin.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

hyperhazard posted:

They imply a couple of times that if you like in Britain, it's Hogwarts or nothing. But only some people get accepted. So basically, there's an entire working class of wizards who aren't educated in anything more complex than what you'd find in daily life (Move this poo poo here, chop some food, clean these carpets, etc).
Nah, all British wizards are offered Hogwarts letters, even really poor ones (like Voldemort was). Not all choose to go, though I don't think Rowling ever depicted a single instance of this in the series.

(Which isn't to say that wealth doesn't affect a wizard's schooling and lifestyle)

The second half of your analogy is correct, though; lots of wizards just have the bare minimum fundamental ability at magic. Even if they learned some cool awesome thing at school, they might've just forgotten about it if it's not related to their chosen profession. Y'know, like every single one of us here. :v:

Why aren't wizards constantly learning cool new spells, you ask? Well, why aren't we constantly learning cool new skills? We could all try to learn how to bake a cheesecake or play the violin; doesn't mean that the majority of us will ever do so.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BrianWilly posted:

Nah, all British wizards are offered Hogwarts letters, even really poor ones (like Voldemort was). Not all choose to go, though I don't think Rowling ever depicted a single instance of this in the series.

(Which isn't to say that wealth doesn't affect a wizard's schooling and lifestyle)

The second half of your analogy is correct, though; lots of wizards just have the bare minimum fundamental ability at magic. Even if they learned some cool awesome thing at school, they might've just forgotten about it if it's not related to their chosen profession. Y'know, like every single one of us here. :v:

Why aren't wizards constantly learning cool new spells, you ask? Well, why aren't we constantly learning cool new skills? We could all try to learn how to bake a cheesecake or play the violin; doesn't mean that the majority of us will ever do so.

Some wizards are able to be Aurors other are stuck being Wizard janitors.

RudeVegetables
Jul 23, 2007
That turnip looks just like a thingy!
Fallen Rib

Dopefish Lives! posted:

You missed the point a bit. Baby's family isn't actively trying to exclude her, it's that they have such high expectations for her to be saviour of the world that they fail to notice that she has other interests besides politics/world issues/etc. They assume that Lisa is the only one who likes performing. No one at the resort even bothers to ask Baby if she wants to be involved in the show, they just volunteer her for props. Johnny's the first person who has seen a side of Baby that she's been unable to show to anyone else because of their high expectations of her. The famous line is just calling her family out for assuming that she's shy, withdrawn, and uptight.

It seems like you already decided you were going to dislike the film before you even watched it, so I am guessing my explanation isn't going to mean much to you.

Wow, thankyou, that actually makes a lot of sense! Still I think that your explanation was more in depth than any of the people had in trying to get me to watch it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Some wizards are able to be Aurors other are stuck being Wizard janitors.

Look Voldemorte's desire for comprehensive wizarding education reform and labor practices in the UK may have been very drastic but its easy to see his appeal. You have a nation with hyper-inflation, bloated bureaucracy, and the majority of wizards are unable to do any real wizardry on their own without assistance from mass-produced magical objects.

Its the fall of western wizardy it is.

Bone grass
Feb 3, 2012

You guys are aware that there's a Harry Potter thread in TBB, right? You should bring the discussion about wizard education over there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Barudak posted:

Look Voldemorte's desire for comprehensive wizarding education reform and labor practices in the UK may have been very drastic but its easy to see his appeal. You have a nation with hyper-inflation, bloated bureaucracy, and the majority of wizards are unable to do any real wizardry on their own without assistance from mass-produced magical objects.

Its the fall of western wizardy it is.

Then again the ministry was controlled by pure bloodeds and they are a couple of generations away from this as the Minister of Magic.

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

Barudak posted:

Spanglish is a real thing although not typically quite how its portrayed in TV and Movies.
To be honest and even though I know Spanglish is a thing, as a Spaniard it usually rubs me the wrong way when I'm watching any English/American movie. Specially when it's obvious it's not a character using Spanglish, and just a lazy way to get the audience to go "ah, that guy's Spanish, OK".

I mean, I almost cringe everytime a character speaks a perfectly fluent English, with an accent... and seems to be unable to finish a sentence without adding "señor". And that's the only Spanish he ever drops.

It actually irritates me, so I guess it fits the thread pretty well ;)

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How does Bane eat?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Your Gay Uncle posted:

How does Bane eat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QF265upPUM

:chef:

I guess he could also drink smoothies with a straw or something.. :iiam:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
In Alone In The Dark, Tara Reid's character pronounces Newfoundland as "New-Found-Land." She's supposed to be a scientist but casting Tara Reid as one is bizarre enough on it's own.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
This can apply to almost every single vampire movie or TV show ever, but it annoys me that it's apparently so drat easy to shove a piece of wood through someone's sternum. Especially the way everyone always holds the traditional stake. Fingers just wrapped around the sides (well...side,) like they're giving the thing a handy. If you really tried to shove a piece of wood into someone's chest holding the wood like that, it would just get pushed out of your hand by the sternum.

To be more effective, a stake should have a really wide, flared-out part up front, after the pointy bit, so your hand would push up against it.

I know it's a necessary thing, because how else are people going to be slaying those vamps with, like, pencils and stuff, but it still bugs me, and this thread is called irrationally irritating movie moments.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Mendigo posted:

To be honest and even though I know Spanglish is a thing, as a Spaniard it usually rubs me the wrong way when I'm watching any English/American movie. Specially when it's obvious it's not a character using Spanglish, and just a lazy way to get the audience to go "ah, that guy's Spanish, OK".

I mean, I almost cringe everytime a character speaks a perfectly fluent English, with an accent... and seems to be unable to finish a sentence without adding "señor". And that's the only Spanish he ever drops.

It actually irritates me, so I guess it fits the thread pretty well ;)

The same thing annoys me with subtitles. You have a guy speaking anther language fluently, and the director's nice enough to put subtitles under it. But they kind of give up translating bits of it, and it ends up reading "Si Señor, I will report to the Capitán right away." They took the time to have the spoken dialogue be realistic, so why are the subs written like a guy speaking in a cheesy accent?

Bedazzled (the corny remake with Brendan Fraser) does this constantly in the scene in Colombia. "Yes, Jefe, I understand." "Here is the food you ordered, Jefe." "These bricks are pure cocaine, Jefe." :psyduck: What's so hard about translating it to "Boss?"

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

DrBouvenstein posted:

This can apply to almost every single vampire movie or TV show ever, but it annoys me that it's apparently so drat easy to shove a piece of wood through someone's sternum. Especially the way everyone always holds the traditional stake. Fingers just wrapped around the sides (well...side,) like they're giving the thing a handy. If you really tried to shove a piece of wood into someone's chest holding the wood like that, it would just get pushed out of your hand by the sternum.

To be more effective, a stake should have a really wide, flared-out part up front, after the pointy bit, so your hand would push up against it.

I know it's a necessary thing, because how else are people going to be slaying those vamps with, like, pencils and stuff, but it still bugs me, and this thread is called irrationally irritating movie moments.

From Dusk Til Dawn is pretty much the only movie I've seen that addresses it.

Sex Machine posted:

Another thing, you try and ram a broken chair leg in a human, you better be one strong son-of-a-bitch. The human body is one rough-tough machine. But these vamps got soft bodies. The texture of their skin is softer, mushier. You can push poo poo right through 'em. Conceivably, if you hit one hard enough, you could take their fuckin' head off.

And of course, there are the old-school movies where they use a mallet with the stake.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Celery Face posted:

In Alone In The Dark, Tara Reid's character pronounces Newfoundland as "New-Found-Land." She's supposed to be a scientist but casting Tara Reid as one is bizarre enough on it's own.

Is the New-fun-lund pronunciation all that spread out outside of Canada? Not excusing Reid, but I wonder if it's a thing like how Americans pronounce Toronto as Tor-on-to and Canadians pronounce it T'ranna.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Same thing with knives. There is never any resistance when driving a knife into someone, no one has bones that would otherwise slow down or stop the knife from getting any depth or cause the stabber to strain forcing it in.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Dopefish Lives! posted:

Is the New-fun-lund pronunciation all that spread out outside of Canada? Not excusing Reid, but I wonder if it's a thing like how Americans pronounce Toronto as Tor-on-to and Canadians pronounce it T'ranna.
It's different from the Toronto thing. Everyone pronounces it as "Noofin-Laand." Even Americans who don't know much about Canada.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Feb 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Celery Face posted:

It's different from the Toronto thing. Everyone pronounces it as "Noofin-Laand," even Americans who don't know much about Canada.

Also I've never heard anyone west of Ontario pronounce it Tranna. It's always pronounced exactly the way it looks where I am.

• Locked thread