Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Topoisomerase posted:

L sounded pretty terrible. I better not get whatever supervirus you guys have.

Canadian Beaver Flu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Fingers McGee posted:

I've been to a few pickup games here and its been great to get to play regularly (except last week, drat virus) again. One thing though, there is a crazy woman whose been at every skate. According to the banter in the locker room shes been to every single pickup game at the rink, no matter the time for the last month or so. She yells things out, and mutters constantly, saying nothing that makes any sense. Shes also very bad, can barely skate, and basically a pylon. Everyone has been ignoring her in the bench rotations running 6 on the ice with her. To make things worse she would rather hack, slash, and crosscheck you when you get near her. I guess she whacked one of the guys in the face last week. Last night he got near her again fighting for a loose puck. She raised her stick up and he shoved her away and she went sprawling like a sack of potatoes. I think she muttered something about killing him so there was speculation that she would be out in the parking lot with a gun or something after. Thankfully there weren't any hockey related shootings last night.

At least you don't skate here on a regular basis. haha

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas/Richardson-man-charged-with-murder-191853161.html

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Topoisomerase posted:

jeez where do you want us to go? You'll complain if we aren't close enough to the line to make the offsides call, you'll complain if we're where your dumb rear end is heaving the puck, you'll complain if we take our eyes off of the play and get out of position for a half second to get out of the way of your impotent attempt to clear the puck and someone lightly blows on you from behind and you fall down and we miss it....whaaat do you want? ;)

I want to be better at hockey. :smith:

:v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

I want to be better at hockey. :smith:

:v:

Then watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e8KbkyriEc

And next time you're in the corner with the puck, skate like Datsyuk.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I stumbled upon this skate shop in the area that specializes in baking, profiling, and sharpening skates. Thats literally all they do. They seem pretty legit, were straight up, and looked as though they'd been there awhile, so I figuere I'll get my skates sharpened there at least. Couple questions, because honestly I don't pay attention to how my skates are sharpened beyond "do they feel weird on the ice because some dumb kid at peranis sharpened them".

First, what is profiling a skate blade? The guy there explained but it kinda went in one ear and out the other. And is there any specific cut I should consider?

Gio fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 21, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Profiling is what sets the rocker radius of your skate blades.. the traditional 11', 10', 9' figures that get thrown around.

The fancy computerized profilers can not only set a specific radius, but also adjust the blade's stance. That is, less metal in the front and more in the back means you'll lean forward a little more, and in theory, accelerate faster. Less metal in the rear is supposedly helpful for defensemen. The computerized rigs also make sure that both skates have identical profiles.

Skate store threw in a free profile when I bought mine, I just got neutral because I didn't know what the gently caress the difference would be. So I'm not much of an expert on how the various options feel on the ice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Gio, check out this link if you can wade through his nonsense about this being a cure all. I really like his service.

http://noicingsports.com/skate_radius_profiling.html

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Yeah that guy sure loves profiling, but he explains what it is well enough so w/e. I'm not exactly eager to get it done. (I wouldn't have known the place existed had it not been next to another shop I was going to.) I was impressed with their operation and figured I'd give them some business.

After thinking about it for awhile it got me curious if I actually would notice a difference, or if it's just a niche thing people fool themselves into thinking it does, kinda like people who download nothing but FLAC.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I am far happier with my skates immediately after sharpening after getting a custom radius done and switching to FBV, but it's not making me play and pass like any less of an untalented shithead recently.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sellouts posted:

I am far happier with my skates immediately after sharpening after getting a custom radius done and switching to FBV, but it's not making me play and pass like any less of an untalented shithead recently.
I'll tell you what, given what I've read from you, I'd love to even have your level of talent. ;)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Gio posted:

After thinking about it for awhile it got me curious if I actually would notice a difference, or if it's just a niche thing people fool themselves into thinking it does, kinda like people who download nothing but FLAC.

Profiling my skates helped me out a lot, but I think it's because the "average" skater who uses skates my size (lol a 4 in kids sizes...) does not in any way resemble me aside from foot size so the biomechanics and my skating style really don't work well with the 'default' cut. If you are an average adult male wearing a normal adult size it's probably going to make less of a difference.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Topoisomerase posted:

Profiling my skates helped me out a lot, but I think it's because the "average" skater who uses skates my size (lol a 4 in kids sizes...) does not in any way resemble me aside from foot size so the biomechanics and my skating style really don't work well with the 'default' cut. If you are an average adult male wearing a normal adult size it's probably going to make less of a difference.

This is relevant to my interests...how did you have them changed? I may not be good enough to tell the difference if I got it done, but I've skated on stock kids' skates for years.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I kind of figured it'd be a problem but the steel on my skates...well it wasnt too worn down to profile them, but I figured it'd be like putting new rims on a beater. That a lot of eyelets are missing and a couple of the holes are almost worn through made my decision not to profile them easier.

No biggie, though. I got a fresh sharpening and had my buddy's skates profiled, so it wasn't a total loss.

Honestly, I've played hockey my whole life, and I seemingly had no idea there were that many ways to (a) profile the skate and (b) sharpen them. When I get a new pair I'll have them profiled and start educating myself so I know how I like em sharpened. That and it'll likely encourage me to take better care of my skates. The pair I have are "only" six years old; they should last a lot longer (as my primary pair).

Gio fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 22, 2013

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

A craftsman never blames his tools.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I'm not. I took care of the steel fine but poo poo care of the boot. Not just the eyelets, but the ankle guard or w/e snapped from taking the skate off with my other foot.

But if you're referring to skating being the craft and the skates the tool, I'm definitely not. I don't have any problems skating. More than anything I'm just curious, and $25 is a cheap enough price to pay to satisfy that curiosity! Like I said, I wouldn't have cared enough to even find out what profiling is had I not stumbled on the place by coincidence.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Sorry, I was more directing that at just the general idea of a minor hollow change, or profiling significantly changing one's play. Idunno, maybe I'm just kvetching, but it's got the vibe of business people talking about "productivity tools" rather than just going out and being productive. Or Malcolm Gladwell's notion about becoming good at something taking 10,000 hours. Putting in the work, rather than putting in the rocker, is all...

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 22, 2013

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

No, it wont, but I wouldn't be surprised if the times I've had the skate "stutter" when stopping was due to a poor choice of cut (or some kid practicing on my skates).

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Dangerllama posted:

Sorry, I was more directing that at just the general idea of a minor hollow change, or profiling significantly changing one's play.

Probably not the hollow change, but I could see the profile/rocker really changing how you play by a lot.

Have you ever worn goalie skates? I would be be a much worse defenseman in goalie skates.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Sorry, I was more directing that at just the general idea of a minor hollow change, or profiling significantly changing one's play. Idunno, maybe I'm just kvetching, but it's got the vibe of business people talking about "productivity tools" rather than just going out and being productive. Or Malcolm Gladwell's notion about becoming good at something taking 10,000 hours. Putting in the work, rather than putting in the rocker, is all...

It probably only effects the upper crust.

It's like computer simulating every component of an F1 racer, detail to that level is completely useless in the hands of a guy who only uses a car to get to work, but to an actual F1 racer saving a hundredth of a second per lap can actually be the difference between winning and losing.

:iiaca:

These gimmicks trickling down to us common folk really just subsidizes the research.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Topoisomerase posted:

This makes sense considering I'm a 6.5 in my skates and 6.0 is where kids skates end I think

And JetsGuy thanks but there are far better players that I've met in this thread. If youre just starting give it a few years and you will be better than me I'm sure.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I'm a big dude, and I found I had a lot better control when I went down to 3/8 hollow. The conventional wisdom is big 6' ~210 pound dudes like me should go with a shallower hollow, not deeper. I was told by my one of my coaches to do 3/8, and it's been great.

That said, I haven't really went back to 7/16 and maybe I could handle it now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm 175lbs and roll 7/16". I love the extra bite.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Dangerllama posted:

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive though..

It made a pretty palpable difference for me, and I'd say I've put a fair amount of work in over two and a half decades of playing hockey. Since I can remember, skating has been pretty natural for me, but having my skates properly profiled really refined some things that I had started to struggle with since I was about 15-16. Again this probably has to do with the biomechanics of my stride and weight distribution over the skates being pretty drat different from that of a prepubescent male skater and it may not make a bit of difference to the average player, and it obviously isn't some sort of panacea for having poor overall skating mechanics, poor edge control or bad skating habits, nor a substitute for practicing.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 22, 2013

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Dangerllama posted:

I generally agree with you -- I'm mostly still playing with all the same gear I started with 10 years ago and to be honest I haven't even experimented with FBV sharpening -- but I don't think there's any virtue to be gained by willful ignorance of improvements that might make me enjoy the game just a bit more.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

coldwind posted:

Probably not the hollow change, but I could see the profile/rocker really changing how you play by a lot.

Have you ever worn goalie skates? I would be be a much worse defenseman in goalie skates.

Ironically, I played drop-in with John Grahame once. Dude skated out in his goalie skates, and made tighter turns than most of the scrubs on the ice :aaa:

sellouts posted:

This makes sense considering I'm a 6.5 in my skates and 6.0 is where kids skates end I think

CCM and Bauer changed their sizing to make 6.0 an adult skate around five or six years ago, IIRC. Costs an extra ~$200 every time I buy skates now.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 22, 2013

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^^adult sized skates are so much better constructed though. IMO it's worth it just for not having to buy new skates as frequently!

Pinky Artichoke posted:

This is relevant to my interests...how did you have them changed? I may not be good enough to tell the difference if I got it done, but I've skated on stock kids' skates for years.

I waited until I went back to my hometown back east and talked to a guy who I've always trusted with my skates (as opposed to the 16 year old kids out here who are a mixed bag) and talked about what I felt I was having problems with, he recommended a bit more aggressive of a profile for me and did it, and it helped.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 22, 2013

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Lost right at the buzzer in the Semi's tonight. Can you score a goal while the buzzer is sounding? I always thought play ended as soon as the buzzer sounded.

Finished in first, and lost to the Third place team. Pretty tough loss, I think we lost to them once in the regular season. Most of the games where shoot out wins or one goal games at least.

I always love the cacophony of "I'll never play in this league again!" "Those loving ref's cost us the game again!" etc, etc. You can't have hockey without players loving crying after a loss. I think the worst one tonight was the D who let his man slip him and score the goal, but then again I'm not sure he even knows that was his man to cover.

Oh well, way better then last year when we won like 4 games all season.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Played in my first scrimmage last night. My skates don't fit and I tweaked my knee, but I had fun.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Back to the lovely topic of skate sharpenings: because I got my skates sharpened by these peeps yesterday rather than the guy I normally get them sharpened by, there was a little more "bite" when skating. They did a standard 3/4 cut, but I bet thats what I normally don't get. Not stuttering or anything too inconvenient, but more bite than I'd ideally like. I think all the different cuts aren't about performance near as much as comfort level. Profiling well I don't know 'bout that.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Are you sure it wasn't 3/8?

3/4 is pretty loose, my local guys do 1/2 edging close to 7/16 as their in house standard. Most other shops do somewhere in between 5/8 and 1/2 locally.

Petit.Conan fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 24, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unless the guy dresses the wheel before he runs it over your skates, it's a complete crapshoot what hollow you're actually getting.

If he dressed the wheel when the store opened and has done a dozen pairs of skates since then, whatever you end up getting will probably be shallower than what you asked for.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Petit.Conan posted:

3/4 is pretty loose, my local guys do 1/2 edging close to 7/16 as they're in house standard. Most other shops do somewhere in between 5/8 and 1/2 locally.

I could be wrong but thats what I thought it was. The guy brought out an edging guide and showed me.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Petit.Conan posted:

3/4 is pretty loose, my local guys do 1/2 edging close to 7/16 as they're in house standard. Most other shops do somewhere in between 5/8 and 1/2 locally.

Wow, I do 5/8 to 1/2...as a goalie.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Goalies get their skates sharpened?

No I mean seriously that last goalie I played with had a copper pipe he would run his skates over a bit after his annual sharpening. I always figured that 3/4 cut was for tenders.

I usually switch my cuts up a bit for summer and winter hockey. Like stay with a 1/2 for the softer ice in the summer.

Petit.Conan fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 24, 2013

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Dull skates and properly sharpened skates with a large hollow are different.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Goalies playing with dull skates is 95% myth. Any goalie playing a semi-modern style with butterfly pushes is going to want very sharp skates. I'd guess the vast majority of goalies use around 1/2 inch, plus or minus an eighth.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
3/4-5/8 goalie
5/8 figure skaters
1/2 - 7/16 players
3/8 - players with really sharp skates
"AS SHARP AS THE MACHINE GOES" the moron kid who wanted me (and me only) to sharpen his skates twice a week

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

ManicJason posted:

Goalies playing with dull skates is 95% myth. Any goalie playing a semi-modern style with butterfly pushes is going to want very sharp skates. I'd guess the vast majority of goalies use around 1/2 inch, plus or minus an eighth.

Pretty much this. I got crazy looks last time I asked for 1/2" hollow. The ice in Austin right now has me running a 5/8, but I need that deeper cut to push off. Any goalie who runs shallower than 5/8" now is playing an old-school stand-up and doesn't push in the b-fly.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Zip! posted:

So in the UK beer league hockey is full contact and teams aren't split up into skill levels which is fine but sometimes has unintentionally hilarious moments.

This weekend was one of those as I spent the majority of the game being forechecked very slowly by a girl who couldn't have been taller than 5'2 in skates. She would wobble up to me, I'd dish the puck off and then she would try and check me, bounce off and fall over, get up and complain to the ref. I think the highlight of this was during one of her tantrums trying to cheapshot me behind the play by attempting to push my skates from underneath me and her ending up falling on her face.

In the same game one of our newbies who has only been skating/playing for less than 3 months played his first game. His best moment being casually wobbling up to a guy on their team who had being gooning it up all game and dropping him on his rear end with a solid body check. The guy then lost his poo poo and then tried to cross check someone after the whistle earning himself a 10 minute unsportsmanlike penalty.

Beginner hockey best hockey.

Weren't you an athlete at the national level? Or was that land hockey?

sellouts posted:

I really want to put together a 5v5 team for a tournament in Montreal next year but that will probably be too much. I just hope I can make lake placid again.
First dibs on the open spot! Not sure if I'll be able to go yet, but I really, really want too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anders posted:

First dibs on the open spot! Not sure if I'll be able to go yet, but I really, really want too.

I gotta pay for a wedding and a honeymoon between now and then, so it's going to be hard for me.

Positives are:
5v5 would be different and fun
Montreal would be awesome
Pleads' rage against the Quebecois would be incredible
Would be fun to include some others for this thread and expand the group

Negatives are:
I dunno how we'd have better accommodations than LP, we'd probably have to hotel it, which sucks. The house was awesome and a big part of it. Hotel rooms would suck in comparison.
It's more expensive for everyone except for probably Pleads
I consider it a small miracle that I wrangled together 5 other people, I cannot imagine doubling that amount or more