Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

genderstomper58 posted:

Yeah I agree that nuclear engineering is a bit too narrow for me and a lot of people, but those specialized engineers(like nuke, petroleum) get paid a shitload out of the gate and they don't look to be making a downturn any time soon. I went with ME because I knew it was a very broad field with tons of opportunities in different fields.

I applied to Comanche Peak though, which is like 50 miles outside of Dallas and would work just fine for me. If you're dead set on living somewhere nuclear is definitely a real bad idea, I agree with that for sure.

Yeah. Nuclear pay is amazing. No argument there. I'll never forget my nuke plant job offer that I turned down to stay in Charleston.

I definitely never think about that when I'm trying to figure out if I can fit a book into my monthly budget. :sigh:

No regrets though. I went with EE for the same reason. There are about a half dozen local defense contractors that I should be able to get picked up at since I'm still cleared once the time is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

Yeah. Nuclear pay is amazing. No argument there. I'll never forget my nuke plant job offer that I turned down to stay in Charleston.

I definitely never think about that when I'm trying to figure out if I can fit a book into my monthly budget. :sigh:

No regrets though. I went with EE for the same reason. There are about a half dozen local defense contractors that I should be able to get picked up at since I'm still cleared once the time is right.

You might want to check into the clearance thing. I talked with a defense contractor that required secret and specifically about clearances and he said even if the clearance is inactive but not expired he still has to do all of the paperwork and junk so it really isn't even that good for them if it isn't active. I know next to nothing about clearance junk but that's just what he told me.

I never realized how many defense contractors use engineers though, I guess thats kind of retarded on my part. Its kind of an industry I don't want to get into very much especially now with the cuts being made.....but the big ones are still hiring so I'm probably just being paranoid.

Plus most jobs seem to be aircraft poo poo and I don't find them interesting at all :|

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 24, 2013

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

It's active because I am a cool reservist guy. It stays active as long as I'm at least IRR, I think.

How it works is this:
If you EAOS, your clearance becomes inactive. After a certain amount of time, your periodic investigation expires.

The level of coolness is thus:
Active >>>>>>> Inactive >>> Expired > Never cleared.

If it's inactive, they just have to fill out paperwork to reactivate it. If it is expired, it is almost as bad as never having one. However, you have proven that you at least were once eligible for one and probably would be approved if re-investigated.

E: The local places are still hiring although the no-poo poo government places are having periodic hiring freezes. One local place is doing layoffs though, so ymmv.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

It's active because I am a cool reservist guy. It stays active as long as I'm at least IRR, I think.

How it works is this:
If you EAOS, your clearance becomes inactive. After a certain amount of time, your periodic investigation expires.

The level of coolness is thus:
Active >>>>>>> Inactive >>> Expired > Never cleared.

If it's inactive, they just have to fill out paperwork to reactivate it. If it is expired, it is almost as bad as never having one. However, you have proven that you at least were once eligible for one and probably would be approved if re-investigated.

E: The local places are still hiring although the no-poo poo government places are having periodic hiring freezes. One local place is doing layoffs though, so ymmv.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh forgot you are reservist BM1 ;D

Mine is almost expired anyways(like 6 months or so) so for me it doesn't really matter I guess

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010
So did you go to BM A-School (do they even have one)? If so, was it awesome?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

SpaceJustice posted:

So did you go to BM A-School (do they even have one)? If so, was it awesome?

Oh my lord that would be unbearable

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

genderstomper58 posted:

Oh my lord that would be unbearable

I just have this great mental image of a sea returnee first class in an A-School classroom full of fresh out of boot camp nubs.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

SpaceJustice posted:

I just have this great mental image of a sea returnee first class in an A-School classroom full of fresh out of boot camp nubs.

And you know the BM a school probably treats you like you're still in boot camp too

Also lots of questions as to why someone would actually want to cross IN to BM heh

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

My bff calls me Boats.

No, although cross-rating was encouraged. Seriously. "You should consider cross-rating to BM1 so that you'll be working in-rate and might pick up chief faster that way"

I actually just finalized my transfer request to go to a SURGEMAIN unit. It's kind of a neat deal. They want you to spend as much of your time on active orders (AT) as possible doing work at a shipyard. You pick the days out of the year you want to go and it counts as drill days if you go over 14. (Reserves requires 12 2day long drills once a month and 14 days AT per year)

If I do a single 38 day long shipyard tour, I'm considered "done" for the whole year. The only thing I'd have to do is show up for an advancement exam in February, run a PRT x2, and go to the doctor for my PHA.

Reserve pay is done on a per-day system so I would get paid all at once rather than spaced out throughout the year.

It's good for me because I get paid a big lump sum for giving up one month out of the summer + I pay the 190$/month to keep family tricare.

It's good for the Navy because they get cheap labor to go do maintenance in the shipyard.

The downside is that my unit will be 3 hours away in Charlotte instead of 10 minutes away. Then again, I wont be working with a bunch of BMs. It'll be ET/EM/EN/MM/HMs with a bunch of those being ex-nukes, supposedly

When I was first looking at the Reserves, my recruiter was trying to get me to come in as an ET. At first it sounded like a good deal until I realized he wasn't telling me everything.
"Would I have to go to a-school?" "Well, yeah. But you would get paid for it!"

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Lol why would they need to send a nuke EM to conventional ET school? Sounds like a direct conversion imo but navy gonna navy

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

There weren't any EM billets open when I wanted to join at EAOS. I had to wait until the next fiscal year to join. The billets were filled within a week of me joining too. The other option was to join as a CT. It was tempting but I didnt have time for a super long a-school.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

KetTarma posted:

One of my prototype instructor friends got drugged at a bar, another friend took him home, he called the command and they told him to go to medical in the morning. He shows up, gets bloodwork done. It comes out that his BAC was greater than 0 still.

The command ZERO TOLERANCE AT WORK policy kicks in and the captain wants to NJP him for something. Eventually, the captain decides to just pull his instructor NEC and send him back to sea. The detailer is told to poo poo on him and gives him sub out of Guam. Friend is doing his sea duty screening when they ask him if he ever gets migraines. He says yes and they have him do some tests.

It turns out he has a neurological disorder called cluster migraines. He is at high risk of having a stroke and is not eligible for sea duty for the rest of his life. They end up transferring him to Groton instead to do a squadron desk-job while they figure out what to do with him. While transferring, he finds out that he made chief.

He shows up in Groton and basically has no job to do and sits in limbo for TWO YEARS while the Navy decides what to do with him. Since he's a nuke that will never be sent to sea and he was kicked out of prototype (can never go to NPTU or NNPTC) they decide to outprocess him. He ended up with 70% VA disability rating and a medical retirement as an E7. All because a CO decided to try to gently caress him over being on site after getting drugged at a bar.

How did I find out about this? I saw him when I walked into my chemistry class. :3

I'd like to think that all the happiness that gets stolen from people by the navy just gets saved up and dumped onto random lucky bastards like this. I mean, I'm still pissed at how much happiness I lost, but at least it went to some mother fucker that gets to tell a cool story.

Also who else has heard of the Law of Conservation of Happiness?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I'd like to think that all the happiness that gets stolen from people by the navy just gets saved up and dumped onto random lucky bastards like this. I mean, I'm still pissed at how much happiness I lost, but at least it went to some mother fucker that gets to tell a cool story.

I thought that was like one of the laws of nuclear physics, it is told here in prototype (god its over half over i want to qualify, my roomates want to quit, i just watch cartoons, work out and go to study,), and it seems universal.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Ryand-Smith posted:

I thought that was like one of the laws of nuclear physics, it is told here in prototype (god its over half over i want to qualify, my roomates want to quit, i just watch cartoons, work out and go to study,), and it seems universal.

you know god drat well that cartoons = anime

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

As told to me by my sea dad, my first day onboard (as we leave for a 5 week Eastpac training exercise):

"You see, once we close the hatches, there is a finite amount of happiness onboard. Happiness, like energy, can neither be created nor destroyed aboard this mighty warship, and so in order for real people, like me, to be happy, we have to take it from little shits like you. Understand? Good. Now go inspect the TDU void here. That's an example of happiness transfer, from me to you."

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

grumplestiltzkin posted:

We had that law, but with a variation. Because the boat runs on misery the sum of the happiness is always going down, which made it more important to steal happiness from others. Think of it as Happiness Entropy.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
We had something like that, I forget the wording but the gist was the real reactor radiation was some sort of anti-happiness particle that when it touched happy people would explode into an immediate need to clean something

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

ProfessorBooty posted:

We had that law, but with a variation. Because the boat runs on misery the sum of the happiness is always going down, which made it more important to steal happiness from others. Think of it as Happiness Entropy.

Hahahahaha this is fantastic.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
Our Chief has been invoking the Happiness Transfers lately, from us to him, by making us work till 2200 or later every single day for the past couple weeks. WE were only out to sea for 5 of those days too. Prototype kids, think before you STAR. I didn't.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
STAR is the biggest loving scam out there. It's trading a few months of E-5 pay (because almost anyone with half a brain can pick up E-5 via the exam) for extra YEARS of service. It's really brilliant, honestly. The nuke community has loving it's Sailors down to an art that SWOs could only wish to achieve.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mr. Nice! posted:

STAR is the biggest loving scam out there. It's trading a few months of E-5 pay (because almost anyone with half a brain can pick up E-5 via the exam) for extra YEARS of service. It's really brilliant, honestly. The nuke community has loving it's Sailors down to an art that SWOs could only wish to achieve.

a lot of the STAR retards used to basically block the actual good EMs from making e-5 so you'd have mouthbreathers reenlist for e-5 while the actual dudes who hated it but were good at their job couldnt make it because they would only promote a few sub EMs on a lot of advancement cycles :yum:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Choose your rate choose your fate, shipmate. Should have been an ET.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mr. Nice! posted:

Choose your rate choose your fate, shipmate. Should have been an ET.

i was an mm and it didnt make it any less stupid. also you dont choose your rate as a nuke ;)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

genderstomper58 posted:

i was an mm and it didnt make it any less stupid. also you dont choose your rate as a nuke ;)

I know! That's what makes it even better!

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I need to read stuff like this every so often. Thanks.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

I need to read stuff like this every so often. Thanks.

Aren't you married already? There's no reason to try for E-5 other than BAH.

For a single person, on the other hand, E-5 represents something like a 120% pay increase over E-4.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
Don't forget the bonus. Surface ETs get $75k right now. So do MMs, while EMs get a measly $60k. One guy just made E-5 as an EM off the test after being on the ship for about 2 months. All the other EMs who were Third and had been here were pissed.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I'm still bitter over my $1300 enlistment bonus, when loving cones were getting almost ten times as much.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010

Hobolicious posted:

Don't forget the bonus. Surface ETs get $75k right now. So do MMs, while EMs get a measly $60k. One guy just made E-5 as an EM off the test after being on the ship for about 2 months. All the other EMs who were Third and had been here were pissed.

Sub MMs get about 80k FWIW.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

Sub ETs get $90k from what my buddies from Prototype tell me. But I'm just a poor surface ET. Alas, I don't have to do port and starboards permanently, only during certain maintenance periods, and I can see the sun every day I decide to walk my happy rear end up to the hangar bay. Plus, flight deck TV.

Faithiest
Mar 27, 2010

Mad Dragon posted:

From primary coolant to classified information. Spillage. Spillage never changes.

fake edit:

stop
walk away
implicate others
make up a story
stick with it

:haw:

Rereading this thread after going through most of the training pipeline is a trip. Its like finally getting those 'adult jokes' from a movie you loved as a kid.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

How common are mastings for carrier nukes? My slpo made it sound like it is just kind of a fact of life for surface nukes.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
I've seen them pretty regularly on my boat. From first on down to boot thirds.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
if you make it through your time as a nuke without a dui or njp you're probably a square!!!!*

*drunk driving is retarded yes i don't do it no mo

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

It happens often enough.
Just...
Dont gently caress up a tagout
Fall asleep on watch
DUI
Underaged drinking
Show up to work drunk
Pop on a drug test
Show up late too often
Fail a seabag inspection
Dont gently caress up a tagout

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
seabag inspection lmao

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

genderstomper58 posted:

seabag inspection lmao

Isn't that where you fill your seabag with water? I had a 3rd class try that on me when I was in indoc. Almost did it.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Isn't that where you fill your seabag with water? I had a 3rd class try that on me when I was in indoc. Almost did it.

ive never heard that v0v

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

No, we had a guy that the khaki hated because he was a total piece of poo poo. He was stinky, didnt brush his teeth, didnt shower, had a letter of maturity written saying he was forever banned from qualifying SRO, normally stood log recorder because they didnt trust him on anything else despite being onboard for 3 years.

They eventually decided to get rid of him because he was being particularly worthless one day.. so the LCPO told him he had to do a seabag inspection. Of course, he failed it so they wrote him up and sent that up with all of his counseling chits for mast.

He ended up getting kicked out. He got hired on as a night janitor as a bank after EAOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

genderstomper58 posted:

if you make it through your time as a nuke without a dui or njp you're probably a square!!!!*

*drunk driving is retarded yes i don't do it no mo

I got a DRB for hanging up when one of the MM1s tried to call me in on a Saturday. :shobon:

• Locked thread