Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

iNteg posted:

Where was this?

Looks like SS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
ISboxer allows you to broadcast without switching windows so say if you wanted to hit a macro on the shaman to cast all their dots and bind it to K or something you could do that while focusing on your monk's window. I don't know how they made it so EQ doesn't need focus on one window to work but bless them for it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

bacon! posted:

I assume by macros you mean "isboxer macros". Can you use that to set up autoattack? My poopsock box group is : 1 bard (tolapumjj) 1 monk and 1 shaman. I don't use isboxer; I just pull w/ quill, the merc tank picks it up, i start auto attacking + singing on bard, I pet attack and lion on shm, then I focus on maximizing DPS w/ monk for the duration of the group.

Could I get better at that with Isboxer? Could i not have to constantly alt tab around?

The annoying part about autoattacking is the positioning - it's easy enough to create a macro to /assist. It sounds like you were pulling with the monk, then wanting to add the bard autoattacks. Not terribly easy, but the way I would do it:

1. Pull inc with monk, tank has now picked up the mob
2. Macro bard to /follow the monk
3. Drag bard around until he's behind mob
4. Hit "back" macro on bard to stop the follow
5. Check he's still in position, then continue meleeing with the monk, or pulling more, or whatever

This is why I just drag my 4-box team around while I'm killing stuff, at least for now. An add or two won't kill me, and it's not more work than I'd be doing to pull back to a camp spot. I did try out Vergalid mines some and ran into trouble when it turns out I pulled like 8 at once, and the whole team got splatted. So in zones with tougher pulling I might have to try out camping spots.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

The ability to send commands to background windows is indeed what makes ISBoxer amazing. I have my monk which I use to scout and pull, and the rest of my boxes are either casters (shaman and wiz) or ranged damage (ranger). When I get mobs incoming, I "dump" them on my tank merc, press one single hotkey (setup in ISBoxer), and all my boxes start a "dps macro" which fires off nukes/dots and for the ranger, begins /autofire. As MrTheDevious, I also have a ton of macros for other key abilities that are worth using often.

Boxing melee doesn't sound like fun though, because you have to get them into position, whereas casters can just stand there.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
So you guys that multibox, you're paying up to like $60 a month to play the game? It's something I'd like to try but I just don't want to spend the extra money.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ukrainius maximus posted:

So you guys that multibox, you're paying up to like $60 a month to play the game? It's something I'd like to try but I just don't want to spend the extra money.

Thats why you multibox on test :v

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

ukrainius maximus posted:

No, we pay $0 to multibox on test

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Why did I not think of that...

So test is basically a play your own army kind of place huh? Are there enough real people that do things or is it the ideal place to be if you just wanna go it alone?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

There's a ton of goon characters always on in our guild, but it's hard to tell how many of those are boxes. There is an active community that is very generous with gear, plat, etc. The bazaar is mostly barren, spare a few a people who do their best to keep items stocked. The population is not as much as a normal server (maybe half? I haven't played on Live for years), but while I run through zones I ALWAYS bump in to people. From low level areas like Gorukar Mesa, all the way up. My highest toon is level 85 so I can't speak for end-game, but there's plenty of people playing on Test.

Draup
Jun 19, 2008
In as Draup. Haven't played since PoP.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

EQResource now has an aug searcher up, where you can find augs from HoT, VoA and RoF. The result layout could be a bit better / compact for my taste, but it's a direly needed replacement for eqclickies.com (R.I.P.).

http://augs.eqresource.com/augsearch.php

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

So I am going attempt to get back into EQ if my resources allow me to do so. I am currently in Afghanistan with some horrible internet. I am not even sure if it is fast enough for me to play but dammit I am gonna try. Currently downloading the client, should be done sometime in the next 36 hours.

In the meantime I have a few questions. My main, who I want to stick with, is a Warrior. Last I played it was at the beginning of whatever came after HoT. My warrior was high enough level for me to get task adds in Thule but my AA's were so deficient as a tank handling thule as a tank in a group was not an option. I spent a good chunk of time paying for task adds to get my AA's up. I think I am somewhere between 500-1000 now and I forget what level I am. Are there viable things for me to do as a tank with a J5 cleric merc to earn good AA on my own? I will be copying to test to play with all you awesome people but I would like to be able to do something solo since the Afghanistan time difference and my hectic schedule will make it so I can't reliably be online.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If you're after AAs, you could do Paw around 80 as the mobs are gigantic wimps with HoT gear or Plane of Fire C2 mobs as they green out around 83? For AA grinding I always liked finding the biggest wimps and just mowing them down.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Akiosan posted:

So I am going attempt to get back into EQ if my resources allow me to do so. I am currently in Afghanistan with some horrible internet. I am not even sure if it is fast enough for me to play but dammit I am gonna try. Currently downloading the client, should be done sometime in the next 36 hours.

In the meantime I have a few questions. My main, who I want to stick with, is a Warrior. Last I played it was at the beginning of whatever came after HoT. My warrior was high enough level for me to get task adds in Thule but my AA's were so deficient as a tank handling thule as a tank in a group was not an option. I spent a good chunk of time paying for task adds to get my AA's up. I think I am somewhere between 500-1000 now and I forget what level I am. Are there viable things for me to do as a tank with a J5 cleric merc to earn good AA on my own? I will be copying to test to play with all you awesome people but I would like to be able to do something solo since the Afghanistan time difference and my hectic schedule will make it so I can't reliably be online.

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know what level you are but an 80 warrior with 500-1000 aa is drastically low. Also you don't get experience from task adds anymore hot+. I'd recommend leveling in paw or pofire to get to around 2500 aa or so which honestly won't take long on test with double exp.

Another thing I think you should do though and it would help you get the hang of the game is to level up a Druid or shaman who will give some much needed utility / a bit extra Dps. No monthly payments required on test and it will open up another merc slot too for even more Dps. You can testbuff him to 25 and either plevel him or just level him regularly and he'll be close to your warrior pretty quickly.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
It really can't be emphasized how fast AAs come on test. During a lesson burn (the veteran AA that gives you 30 minutes of double xp), called a "burn" because you try to kill stuff as quickly as possible while the buff is up, I can easily get 45 AAs just doing normal single-target killing through light blues with my box group.

Edit: Since the cap on unspent AAs is 30, this is why I made a spreadsheet of the AAs that I'd like to train, and then color code the next few I want to buy, so that I know exactly what to train mid-burn. And honestly mucking around with AAs is the most fun part for me, so I'm having a blast with my spreadsheets. Example below - yellow is next, then orange, then red - green means I've already trained it to max for my level, light blue means it's completely maxed and won't have to be revisited after I level up. I just started differentiating those light blues recently, so some of the greens would actually be light blue. This is my SK one, I have similar for bard, shaman, rogue.

Devor fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 23, 2013

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I may or may not be playing soon, I'm on test are there multiple Goon guilds or just one?

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

Vomik posted:

I don't know what level you are but an 80 warrior with 500-1000 aa is drastically low. Also you don't get experience from task adds anymore hot+. I'd recommend leveling in paw or pofire to get to around 2500 aa or so which honestly won't take long on test with double exp.

Another thing I think you should do though and it would help you get the hang of the game is to level up a Druid or shaman who will give some much needed utility / a bit extra Dps. No monthly payments required on test and it will open up another merc slot too for even more Dps. You can testbuff him to 25 and either plevel him or just level him regularly and he'll be close to your warrior pretty quickly.

I have a Shaman in the 50's on a separate account if i could find the info. The thing I am worried about is if I am able to play at all with my current internet how much more issues will I have adding a box?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Akiosan posted:

I have a Shaman in the 50's on a separate account if i could find the info. The thing I am worried about is if I am able to play at all with my current internet how much more issues will I have adding a box?

Pretty sure it would use twice the bandwidth to run two boxes. Maybe a little more, due to the way EQ handles combat log spam? But grouping would increase the rate per box more than duoing. If the other account is really old the shaman will be grandfathered so you could use it for testcopy, if it's somewhat recently created shaman, it will be locked out when you're not subscribed since shaman is one of the premium classes.

If you know the email, it's easy enough to have SOE email you the account names associated with it.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
I'm trying to decide if I want to level another character to 70 on another account, so I have access to the potions. Plus it will be an excuse to play another class. How long theoretically would it take me to get where my SK currently is? (71 with about 300 aas)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Devor posted:

Edit: Since the cap on unspent AAs is 30, this is why I made a spreadsheet of the AAs that I'd like to train, and then color code the next few I want to buy, so that I know exactly what to train mid-burn. And honestly mucking around with AAs is the most fun part for me, so I'm having a blast with my spreadsheets. Example below - yellow is next, then orange, then red - green means I've already trained it to max for my level, light blue means it's completely maxed and won't have to be revisited after I level up. I just started differentiating those light blues recently, so some of the greens would actually be light blue. This is my SK one, I have similar for bard, shaman, rogue.

Max soul abrasion, it powers up all your self lifetap procs. If the AA chats were correct, SKs are getting another rank of it, which is kinda insane.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Comfortador posted:

I'm trying to decide if I want to level another character to 70 on another account, so I have access to the potions. Plus it will be an excuse to play another class. How long theoretically would it take me to get where my SK currently is? (71 with about 300 aas)

SK starts to feel powerful around 1100 aa's, Soul Abrasion, Theft of Life and Mortal Coil are good ones. Theres a complete list with suggested path at http://www.evilgamer.net

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
Just what I needed, an excuse not to level another class. Thanks! :)

Since no one answered yet, are there multiple goon guilds on test? Any 70ish groups regularly leveling?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Comfortador posted:

Just what I needed, an excuse not to level another class. Thanks! :)

Since no one answered yet, are there multiple goon guilds on test? Any 70ish groups regularly leveling?

There's The Roost Gave Me Harpies, which is the goon guild. There's a bunch of people in the 70ish range.

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

So I was able to login and run around PoK a bit and everything seemed normal enough. I think my internet can handle EQ. As far as my Warrior, he is 81 with a scant 583 AA's. On the plus side, he is already in full abstruse and has a bit of the HoT non-visible items. Is this guy good to farm Paw for AA's with a J5 cleric merc?

Also I saw that my 52 shaman is on the same account. Is there a free way to split her off to another account on Test? if not is it worth it to pay for her account switch or would it be better to level up a shaman fresh?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Akiosan posted:

So I was able to login and run around PoK a bit and everything seemed normal enough. I think my internet can handle EQ. As far as my Warrior, he is 81 with a scant 583 AA's. On the plus side, he is already in full abstruse and has a bit of the HoT non-visible items. Is this guy good to farm Paw for AA's with a J5 cleric merc?

You would definitely be able to farm it with a cleric merc. Try it out and see how much damage stuff does, you might even be able to solo and just pop the cleric once in a while to reduce downtime.

Akiosan posted:

Also I saw that my 52 shaman is on the same account. Is there a free way to split her off to another account on Test? if not is it worth it to pay for her account switch or would it be better to level up a shaman fresh?

You would have to pay for a character transfer, so no free way. Leveling a shaman to 52 the normal way (with J1 merc) would take 5-6 hours if you're quick? Powerlevel would be an hour maybe? Not much effort. And note that on a new silver unpaid account, you can only create shamans for free on Test.

Viivac
Jan 5, 2005

I need a cheaper hobby

Pilsner posted:

The ability to send commands to background windows is indeed what makes ISBoxer amazing. I have my monk which I use to scout and pull, and the rest of my boxes are either casters (shaman and wiz) or ranged damage (ranger). When I get mobs incoming, I "dump" them on my tank merc, press one single hotkey (setup in ISBoxer), and all my boxes start a "dps macro" which fires off nukes/dots and for the ranger, begins /autofire. As MrTheDevious, I also have a ton of macros for other key abilities that are worth using often.
Hey Zliz, would it be possible for you to post your macros in a text file or something? Is there a way to export macros from ISBoxer? It would help a lot to look at yours to learn better how to set it up.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
If I was leveling on my own, and don't feel like boxing, as a SK would I be better off with a Cleric merc, or should I use something else?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Comfortador posted:

If I was leveling on my own, and don't feel like boxing, as a SK would I be better off with a Cleric merc, or should I use something else?

If you're doing solo with a merc, your best option is sticking to old-world zones with a tank merc. At least through the high 60s, perhaps until 80, tank mercs will outdamage you, mitigate incoming damage better, and regenerate MUCH faster during combat. Old world zones are important because stuff hits MUCH softer. New zones like Sunderock Springs, or the Steppes, have mobs hitting for 600, 700, 800 max hits, with a lot more hp, while the Hole is not much worse exp, and stuff hits for like 200 max, and dies a lot faster. Paw is the next step after the Hole.

At level 80 you get a HUGE bump in power from equipping L80 armor and a Hammer of Greatness to where you can probably start outpacing tank damage, and you can start thinking about swapping out for a cleric.

This is one of the best reasons to 2- or more box, because while 2 tank mercs is awesome up until the 60s, if you want to do some of the zones where stuff hits hard, it's nice to be able to have tank/cleric merc, and just do dps with your characters. Relying on a boxed PC to heal is kind of annoying.

Devor fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 24, 2013

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
So at 71, it should be the Hole?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Comfortador posted:

So at 71, it should be the Hole?

Yeah, the undead castle area is probably still light blue at that point. Probably has enough spawns to keep you busy solo with a merc - I don't recall whether I was able to pull small enough numbers when I was going solo - I *think* you could probably take 3 at once without your tank dying too fast. There's always feign death to split pulls, though.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Devor posted:

Yeah, the undead castle area is probably still light blue at that point. Probably has enough spawns to keep you busy solo with a merc - I don't recall whether I was able to pull small enough numbers when I was going solo - I *think* you could probably take 3 at once without your tank dying too fast. There's always feign death to split pulls, though.

Cool, light blue gives good exp these days? I usually avoided that like the plague in the old days heh.

Edit: Got in guild, just need promotion to see guildchat

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 24, 2013

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Comfortador posted:

Cool, light blue gives good exp these days? I usually avoided that like the plague in the old days heh.

Edit: Got in guild, just need promotion to see guildchat

Been taking an EQ break (don't we all) but in my most recent playthrough light blues were THE way to level both AA's and regular EXP.

edit: to clarify light blues + fast kills

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Viivac posted:

Hey Zliz, would it be possible for you to post your macros in a text file or something? Is there a way to export macros from ISBoxer? It would help a lot to look at yours to learn better how to set it up.
I could give you the XML file that ISBoxer stores everything in, but it's a huge mess mixed in with all other sorts of configuration and default hotkeys. I really don't have anything advanced other than:

1) Press key -> Certain keycombo is sent to one box
2) Press key -> Certain keycombo is sent to specific multiple boxes
3) Press key -> Certain keycombo is send to "all other"
4) Hold key -> Hold certain keycombo on "all other" (set "Hold any Keystroke Actions while Hotkey is held" = On on the hotkey), used for making boxes turn and thus stop following.

Having macros for following and stop following, and travel spells (invis, speed, levitate and such) are also key to have to make your boxing enjoyable.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006
Anyone have some old school gear they can copy over to Test for a Monk (tstaff, fungi, haste, etc if my memory serves)? I always used to have a blast blowing stuff up with twink gear. Sadly I can't remember my old Druid/Monk account from 2001 or I'd be in PL heaven.

Buddy of mine is going to start a Bard as well.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The new defiant gear that is really cheap on the bazaar and can drop off every mob blows that old stuff out of the water.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

acumen posted:

The new defiant gear that is really cheap on the bazaar and can drop off every mob blows that old stuff out of the water.

Well we're starting over from scratch and haven't touched EQ since 2001 so we can't buy anything from the baz atm. I suppose it's as much nostalgia for us as it is fast-track to end-game.

Edit:
Oh, and is there a goon chat channel on Test?

Shodai fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 24, 2013

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shodai posted:

Well we're starting over from scratch and haven't touched EQ since 2001 so we can't buy anything from the baz atm. I suppose it's as much nostalgia for us as it is fast-track to end-game.

Edit:
Oh, and is there a goon chat channel on Test?

goontest is the Test Server goon channel.

I'm sure if you ask nicely someone will toss you a million plat or so(seriously).

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
And I really wouldn't stress much about equipment below level 50 or so. You'll want to use tank mercs, and they'll WAY outdamage anything even a fully twinked character could put out. If you can find some lower level defiant, great, but don't spend too much time on it. Once you can start wearing Flawed Defiant and up you could start checking bazaar more.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

Devor posted:

And I really wouldn't stress much about equipment below level 50 or so. You'll want to use tank mercs, and they'll WAY outdamage anything even a fully twinked character could put out. If you can find some lower level defiant, great, but don't spend too much time on it. Once you can start wearing Flawed Defiant and up you could start checking bazaar more.

Thanks! I'm running around now with a merc - See how this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shodai posted:

Thanks! I'm running around now with a merc - See how this goes.

Don't forget you can type /testbuff and go to level 25 instantly.